[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the most overrated place to visit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 23

File: 4137848299_1797a8453e_o.jpg (198KB, 1000x665px) Image search: [Google]
4137848299_1797a8453e_o.jpg
198KB, 1000x665px
What is the most overrated place to visit?
>>
>>1163693
Yo-momiya, Japan
>>
>>1163693
Pic
>>
>>1163693
With the acknowledgment that this is totally subjective, I was hugely underwhelmed by Sannibel Island, FL.
>>
The Caribbean.
>>
Fucking, Austria
>>
>>1163693
Venice, gorgeous place, but the tour groups have destroyed the city.
>>
Hollywood
>>
>>1163693

Berlin or Paris
>>
Phuket.
>>
>>1163781
why?
>>
>>1163780
>>1163800
>>1163804
> Paris
> Berlin
> Phuket

All shit tier
>>
>>1163792
Fucking this, it's literally four streets with some old office buildings.
>>
Actually all out-of-Europe people thinks that Paris looks like a damn movie or whatever but it's not and never has been. Open your eyes and stop being So gullible, i've been living in Paris for 2 years and it's just as good/shitty as any capital in the world, just don't be so entitled arriving in cities, enjoy every aspects, even the shitty ones
>>
File: blacc.png (321KB, 474x473px) Image search: [Google]
blacc.png
321KB, 474x473px
>>1163850
Im sure paris is full of qt chocolates at least
>>
>>1163800
I like the people in Berlin, and the cycling and the beer.
Paris is a shitbin lauded for it's architecture but full of french people and immigrants.
>>
>>1163693
>What is the most overrated place to visit?
Filipines,Bali,Tokyo,Tanzania,India,Rio,South cali,Beijing.
>>
>>1163874
Socal>norcal
>>
Shanghai. Literally the only interesting thing is a riverside where you can take pictures of architecture. That's it.

Any Caribbean beach destination.

Most US cities, but especially Las Vegas. Also the idea of road tripping coast-coast in the US. It's long and ridiculously boring.

Cities in Vietnam. The culture is cool but there's jack shit that is actually interesting to see.
>>
>>1163903
This desu. North-south coast roadtrips are vastly superior and you dont pass a bunch of empty flyover states
>>
From my personal experience

New York
Los Angeles
Miami
Las Vegas
Paris
Berlin
Rome
>>
>>1163913
you must be fun to hang around with
>>
Beppu
>>
Tokyo
>>
Japan
>>
>>1163781
I loved Wien, or Wein, or Wine.

GODDAMN BÉCS FFS
>>
>>1163809
>>1164045
it was supposed to be a joke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fucking,_Austria
>>
For those saying the Caribbean is overrated, how so? I find it just as advertised, even though it's no for me. But for someone who wants leisure, escapist vacation, what place is better than the Caribbean. In what way does the Caribbean not meet it's rating/expectation? Same for Phuket?

>>1163804
>>1163769
>>1163903
>>
In the interest of dialogue and discussion could you people please state exactly why you find these places overrated?
>>
Austin TX
>>
Listvianka, Baikal
nothing, but a bunch of tourists and boring attractions meant for them. When planning to see the Baikal, simply go anywhere else

>>1164046
>population:104
ironically, in spite of being a joke this may as well be true.
>>
Who goes to Paris and complaints about it? Its like being in a fucking museum all the time - surrounded on all sides by awesome architecture. It's certainly not clean but who the fuck expects that?
And i dont know where in Paris you are hanging out in to see so many migrants. I saw mostly other tourists and French people.

Overall I prefer Berlin though but you have to be pretty dense to not appreciate Paris.
>>
>>1164273
check montmartre then. Specially the stairs to Sacre Coeur
>>
Most cities in the US

Apart from a select few they're overrated
>>
>>1164317
This. And they're not different in any significant way.
>>
Amsterdam..only good think is that u can smoke...but the City is boring as fuvk.
>>
>>1163693
Manhattan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, London, Normandy and Chicago. Paris was actually pretty nice but I visited it before the snackbars took it over.
>>
>>1163913
>>1163874
>>1164332
just for the record, how much do you spend on your travells usually?
>>
>>1164321

But they are incredibly different.
>>
>>1163781
Bring back the sign you stole.
>>
>>1164050
Phuket is much worse unless you're fucking the whores there (some of which are top shelf tho).
>>
>>1163693
Tokyo will be boring if you come from a large city
>>
>>1164336
No idea, usually I don't pay for them myself.
>>
>>1164273
>It's certainly not clean but who the fuck expects that?
um, everyone from a civilized portion of the globe, which apparently paris isnt part of anymore?
>>
>>1164428
yeah, that's exactly what I expected. Since you don't put any effort in getting there, you are malcontent and can't have fun
>>
>>1163874
How was tanzania? it isn't that hyped to be overrated to begin with i think.
>>
>>1163787
What about low season? I believe that going in a good date would solve that. That being said, what would be the ideal month?
>>
>>1164522
not the one you replied to, but I've been there in February. Everywhere else ther was 20 degrees celsius (sic), in the city it was but a couple degrees and a little rainy. So don't go during the winter.
>>
Niagara falls. If you go at a time when there's Lots of tourists it's a hellhole. There's abig river to look at for two minutes, walk past three couple blocks of tourist stuffed and it's a shithole town with niggers everywhere. I only went on the American side Canadian side looked nicer
>>
File: IMG_6854.jpg (2MB, 2416x3220px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6854.jpg
2MB, 2416x3220px
I live in San Francisco and I have no idea why there's so many tourists. They all crowd around the one street with those door-less trolleys and mutter in German and Swedish waiting for the trolleys to pass so they can take a photograph. I stayed in a hostel and everyone wanted to see the bridge -- and not only did they want to see it, they wanted to WALK ON IT. WHY? I feel like you can find 200 cities that are more interesting than San Francisco.
>>
>>1164557
In the USA?
>>
>>1164273
You're on 4chan, where MLP, shemale fetishes, furry fandom, anime, and the alt right collide. Are you actually surprised people on its travel board don't appreciate Paris or Berlin?
>>
>>1164417
and if you don't?

also, how is the nightlife in tokyo?
>>
File: 1350658315518.jpg (72KB, 640x752px) Image search: [Google]
1350658315518.jpg
72KB, 640x752px
I realise that due to going there for work I didn't get a true travellers experience in America but I was very disappointed in how bland it was.

I'd still love to go to LA but I won't be rushing there any time soon.
>>
>>1164273
>It's certainly not clean but who the fuck expects that?
what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>Ireland
>Vienna
>Sydney
>Most of Italy
>Bangkok
>>
>>1164949
>Not liking Ireland

british army pls go
>>
>>1164932
Where'd you go though? Just saying "America" is super vague.
>>
>>1164932
Don't bother; America is only worth it for the natural monuments at best.
The cities are all equally shitty.
>>
>>1163913
im assuming you just dont like visiting cities
>>
>>1163913
> Miami
Big disappointment, still everyone seems crazy about it. did I miss something?
>>
Dubai
>>
>>1164273
Visit Paris for the museums and then get the fuck out, it's far and away the worst part of France.
>>
>>1164514
Not really. I enjoyed Germany, Switzerland, Australia, Austria, Korea, Czech Republic, Poland, Serbia, Scotland, Guatemala, Peru, Mexico, Japan, East Timor and the rest of France, USA and England.

>Manhattan is full of boarded up skyscrapers, garbage bags that get stuck on the street ooze everywhere and it doesn't get cleaned up, the taxi drivers are cunts, food is really bland and overpriced except at food trucks
>Chicago is overpriced
>Cambodia is overpriced for a third-world country; the people are cunts and I wish Pol Pot had killed more of them - especially the tuk-tuk drivers (paid myself)
>Vietnam is overpriced for a communist shithole and they're the objectively the worst people on the planet after the Chinese (paid myself)
>Thailand is more touristy than Mexico and not as nice. Thais are borderline retarded but their food is really good (paid myself)
>London is just like any other big city, but with a Tintin store. Was great in 1999 but now it's shit because of immigrants that refuse to integrate.
>the food in Normandy is shitty and overpriced compared to southern and eastern France
>>
>>1165186
maybe just leave the 8th baka
>>
>>1163792
I actually was surprised at how much I liked it. You can walk around to alot of good street food, or shops, and there's plenty of comedy shows for like $10. There's a self awareness about it that it does suck, which I relate to, living in Orlando.
That being said Amoeba isn't nearly as cool as was advertised.
>>
>>1165115
Isnt it full of curvy carribean women?
>>
>>1163903
Been Shanghai, i enjoyed it alot. i guess you really have to experience the non-touristy areas.

In saying that Sydney is fucking awful. I live here.
>>
>>1164050
I actually kinda like the Caribbean for the escapism. Don't have to worry about shit, easy to get weed, cheap beer, and I love spicy food So learning about true jerk was great
>>
File: Fedora.png (139KB, 466x466px) Image search: [Google]
Fedora.png
139KB, 466x466px
>>1163903
>most US cities
>>
>>1164551
this seems pretty damn legit. It's a 2 hour stop at most.
>>1163903
Most us cities aren't exactly highly rated to begin with so I fail to see how they're "Over rated". No one is putting Boston and Denver as a must see city in north america, not that I have anything against those cities. Depending on your route and what you expect to get out of a road trip across united states you could either have one of the greatest road trips ever or one of the dullest. The appeal is mostly in the freedom of being able to drive across such a diverse country on a relatively cheap budget. Can't imagine what it would cost to drive from spain to Scandinavia given all the tolls, gas prices and regulations just to get a car...
>>
>>1163693
Paris. Google Paris syndrome, its when Japanese people get horrible depression after visiting that hell hole because its such a let down.
>>
>>1163699
NYC was actually very enjoyable. Not overrated at all (especially coming from a fuck-all tiny city)
>>
New York City.

Everything is overpriced. It's overcrowded. It smells like shit. It takes forever to get anywhere. The people are jackasses (I say that as someone who grew up in PA, new yorkers make us look like saints).

There's nothing interesting or special. It's just a shithole that has enough money that it can pretend it's not a total shithole.
>>
>>1164328
If you can't find a good time in Amsterdam, I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>1165498
>Everything is overpriced

Typical tourist mentality. Try going somewhere that isn't Times Square or the WTS memorial site

>It's overcrowded

See above. There are plenty of neighborhoods that are quiet and less populated without people like *you* standing in the middle of the street looking at tall buildings and blocking people from walking

>It smells like shit

I'll give ya that one

>It takes forever to get anywhere

What? This is just false. Trains are always running and although there are random delays here and there, getting anywhere shouldn't take you more than 30/40 minutes unless you're going deep in Brooklyn or the Bronx (and judging from your gripes, I highly doubt you went out that far). Care to provide an example of when it took you "forever" to get somewhere? Unless you have a hard time walking in which case your point is moot

> The people are jackasses

You sound like a pussy, famalam. NYers don't have time to deal with people like you who bitch and moan about how overpriced and shitty NYC is. Have you ever tried talking to someone or did one of the habibis at the bodega not smile when you bought your can of coke? I'm assuming you didn't bother interacting with anyone and assumed store clerks made up all of NYC. Chat up some locals at a bar and you're bound to have a good conversation.

>There's nothing interesting or special

Again, this is just wrong. I can't even tell you how many events (some free) are going on at any given time. You can eat food from all over the world, hear 4 different languages walking down a single block, and if the city is too much for you, take a train to a different borough and get a different taste of life. If there isn't anything interesting to do there, please tell me where to go and what to do that makes NYC look so bad in comparison.

>inb4butthurtnyfag

If you had decent points, I may humor you but you only brought up one and "it smells" isn't a reason to call the place overrated. 3/10 apply yourself
>>
Amsterdam for me. Full of dude bros and the museums were overpriced
>>
>>1165606
So you're just a bigot. Actually makes a lot of sense. No worries. Enjoy the boring places you seem to enjoy so much
>>
>>1163871
>Paris is a shitbin lauded for it's architecture but full of french people and immigrants

Hit the nail on the head. What a shithole. Though Berlin isn't much better in terms of its demography.
>>
>>1165618
But he/she is right. New York is a dump. And the center of zionist globalization. Harlem was once a jewel of white society. Look at it now. Being a bigot means not having your head in the clouds.
>>
>>1165606
Stay home,bitch.
>>
>>1165623
Never seen someone so proud of being ignorant, but can't say I'm surprised
>>
>>1165638
Don't feed them, is this your first day on 4chan?

Report, hide and move on.
>>
File: SCAN0015.jpg (150KB, 976x1200px) Image search: [Google]
SCAN0015.jpg
150KB, 976x1200px
>>1164557
I've always liked SF, but then again I'm a techie and a large part of SFs appeal is the decadence and the way money just rolls in

I think we can at least agree it's a lot better than L.A.?
>>
>>1163781
>Fucking, Austria
Agree for Vienna at least.
>>
>>1163850
Paris is worse than most cities of its size because

1.super unfriendly locals
2.how much u can feel the racial stratification and hate
3.how dirty it is
4.how shit it's metro is
5.how many tourists there are
6.how expensive it is
>>
Amsterdam.

Drug tourism that mainstream just attracts losers who can't find drugs at home, and the city center is nothing but a mall for these kinds of people.

It's innercity suburbs and suburbia are nice enough I guess, but are really only for living in as a rich boring Dutch person.
>>
>>1163769
Disagree; I lived on Bonaire for half a year, it was really great.
>>
Paris.
>>
File: apostlejohn.jpg (204KB, 1000x2419px) Image search: [Google]
apostlejohn.jpg
204KB, 1000x2419px
>>1163699
New York City is a very complex place. It really is the most diverse and nuanced city in the world, and it is much larger than people realize, especially those who have visited it. New York City to most people consists of Times Square and Central park, maybe also the Lower East Side if you enjoy nightlife or Williamsburg if you are fashionable. These areas constitute maybe 5% of the total city in terms of land area and population, and they have entered the general pop culture to an extent that they end up feeling like an old glove to most people that visit them. But New York City is unbelievably amorphous from block to block, and the cultural differences from burough to borough and especially block to block is staggering if not entirely prohibitive. So many of the New Yorkers I have gotten to known live entirely on a well trodden path between their home, their work place, and whatever their favorite restaurant or bar is, but I say this without exaggeration that unimaginable amounts of novelty await the courageous traveler or adventurer. Most people are just too dull or timid to go looking for it, and yet it is a true reward and cannot be matched anywhere else on our tiny planet. New York City's charm and vibrancy is betrayed by it's overwhelming indulgence, but between all of the skyscrapers and subway lines are gems waiting to be discovered by the patient and bold.
>>
>>1166157
yeah, you can get harassed on fifth, sold heroin on 7th, stabbed on 9th, shot on tenth, and abducted and harvested for organs by human smugglers and sweatshop workers on fifteenth.

every street is a unique and diverse culture. thank you so much for voting democrat
>>
>>1166160
How much time have you spent in New York?
>>
>>1166160
Also, does anyone find it ironic that you only mentioned roads in Manhattan?
>>
>>1166163

Not to mention his complete innaccuracy in the fact that the southern end of manhattan is one of the safest places in the entire city.

Dude is just spreading dumb memes that were *maybe* true in the 70s. It IS the current year afterall.
>>
>>1164557
Walking over the Golden Gate Bridge is a unique kind of "bridge experience," if there were one. I did it. I liked it. Quite scenic. Breezy. Pleasant.

I'm from a suburb of NYC, and to me San Francisco is also a pretty unique-looking city, so there's that as well.

The old-timey cable car was extremely overrated, though. I didn't even pay. No one ever asked for money getting on or off.

And the public transportation leaves a bit to be desired. I try to avoid buses when on vacation, preferring to opt for some form of metro. But SF doesn't really have a full-fledged metro system. BART isn't terriblly expansive in SF (but it is for the Bay Area as a whole, of course), and the MUNI metro is...wack. They could use more cars. When I was waiting for one of those things, a little Fiat was parked just enough in the road so the Metro couldn't move.

I waited about five minutes, watching this streetcar honk pathetically and futilely at an unoccupied car, until the fiat owner got in his car and drove away.
>>
>>1166165
obviously I'm trolling but you new yorkers have your head so far up your own ass when you claim that new york is the most cultural place in the world. it makes me wonder if you've ever left the city.

people do the same with where I live and I guarantee you, people here admire their own buttholes for social status. there's nothing of worth here.

new york is a pretty awful city on almost every world standard
>>
>>1166165
Pretty much all of Manhattan under 110th street is safe. I've been all over Manhattan. Never had any problems, nor were any of the neighborhoods as bad as the Tenderloin in San Francisco, which had people smoking crack and a distinct odor of piss.

Then again, I haven't spent any time in Harlem or Washington Heights or Inwood.
>>
>>1166170
It is still an extremely diverse place. Have you ever been to Queens??
>>
>>1166172
diversity=/=culture

america is a "melting pot" precisely because people who come here become deracinated. so you have five different groups in a room, all of whom are alienated from their culture.

that's the explicit purpose of 90's multiculturalism, to DESTROY culture. of course, in 2016, the avowed purpose is not to destroy culture. whether this is true or not, it doesn't really undo the last 50 years of intentional menting-pot-ism.

new york sucks dick and only a brainwashed slave would say otherwise. net outflow of middle and upper middle class people for the last 8 years.
>>
>>1166170
Most of New York sucks, but Anon didn't argue that it didn't.
>>
>>1166180
he was making the case that new york wasn' overrated because somehow it was more "cultural" than, you know, the rest of the world.

his case was wrong, and on top of it, fucking retarded. new york is a shithole filled with people who sniff their own buttholes.

it's full of the following:

yes, I'm sure, liberalguy3094, that the indian food here is so much better, and so much more cultural than if you just went to india. how tolerant and diverse of you. it's so great here. oh, wow, an appetizer costs 20 dollars? it's cheap, and worth it, you say? wow, clearly you're so wealthy. do tell me more, liberalguy. oh, you've never actually left the country? clearly you know better than anyone that new york is a great "world city" then.
>>
Chicago

I don't understand it. I never had an interest in visiting and when I finally did I just thought about how average the city is.
>>
>>1166206
>chimpcongo
kek
>>
ny is a shithole. the us as a whole is incredibly mediocre.
>muh more diverse than yurop
lmao
>>
>>1165583
>Typical tourist mentality. Try going somewhere that isn't Times Square or the WTS memorial site

I lived in NYC for work for several years. You're fucking stupid if you think NYC isn't expensive as hell. Sure, you can live in one of the ghettos, or a surrounding suburb, and have a 2-4 hour daily commute, but that's equally absurd, and some stuff is still expensive out there.

People share living space in tiny little boxes, and that's just the rent. I wouldn't have gone if my company didn't pay for my own apartment, which was 3000 a month in 2001 for what I consider to be a shoebox. Decent food is absurdly expensive, and even shit prepackaged crap is 1.5-3 times the price. Utilities are astronomically more expensive. Even with the apartment, a storage locker back home, and various per diem expenses all being comped by my company, I was still wasn't making substantially more than I was back home, and I didn't exactly live in a cheap area at the time.

Tourist areas are even worse.

>You sound like a pussy, famalam. NYers don't have time to deal with people like you who bitch and moan about how overpriced and shitty NYC is.

And this is exactly why people hate your city and it's people.

Your entire post is just slinging shit at everyone and everything because you cannot comprehend that something could possibly be better than your vaunted hometown. That's really what NYC is about. Screaming about how much better you are than the rest of the world while burying your head in the back alley trash heaps so you can pretend not to hear anything that doesn't fit your narrative.

I hope you never leave. The rest of the world doesn't need to be contaminated by people like you.
>>
>>1166255
I've only met a handful of new yorkers outside of new york and I'm incredibly glad they're all too stupid to leave. it acts kind of like a roach motel and spares the rest of us from having to interact with them.
>>
>>1166206
Shitcago is the poor mans Jew York.

Jew York is absolute garbage.
>>
>>1165606
(You)
>>
Traveling itself. It's a big fucking sham to get people to spend money. People are the same everywhere. They all:
>Eat
>Shit
>Sleep
Buildings are buildings everywhere.
Even the "non-touristy" places where the "real" or "cool" travelers go to. Are all bullshit.

Everybody is trying to make their traveling into something it's not. The only thing I can really see people traveling for is either to:
>check a place out for living
>to fuck whores
>To party drink/drugs

The rest are all bullshit.
>>
>>1163693
Paris. I never wnt to go to that pisshole again.

Also, NYC is a tourist destination? Really? I always thought NYC was where cultures went do die, like a bizarro elephant cemetary.
>>
>>1166334
>cultural cemetary
anyone with more than two digits of IQ to rub together agrees with you

then again, people think nicki minaj is culture, and mary j blige just interviewed hillary clinton.

someone just nuke us already
>>
>>1163871
Berlin is famous in Germany for being full of surly arrogant cunts, and radicals. And that was before the hipster invasions of the early 2000s, before the Schwaben arrived en masse, before the Arabs. Apart from its history and art/shopping sort of things (i.e. it's a big city), I find it rather unbearbable as a place to live. Nice to visit for a day or two when something unique is going on, but then get out. I don't think a lot of tourists realize Berlin isn't 'really' what the rest of Germany is like.

Might be because I'm German, but I think Berlin is seriously over-rated. I get why tourists want to visit, but after you've been a dozen times... meh.
>>
>>1164614
Not that guy, and I don't know /trv/s make-up anymore, but there certainly was a time when /trv/lers were a pretty distinct bunch.

I don't think you'll find many bronies or NEETs jerking off onto little plastic figurines, or whinging about Jews and niggers from mom's basement like on other corners of 4chan...

But maybe I'm wrong.
>>
>>1164551
The American side really sucks. The Canadian side has more to do, but it's also tacky.

I'm a localfag and when I was a kid, it was just the falls, restaurants, a few souvenir shops, and apart from weekends or a couple weeks in August, usually pretty calm and sleepy. When my dad was a kid, there were almost no fences, and when the river froze over in the winter, you could walk out onto the area below the falls, as close as you dare (thin ice or chunks of ice falling were a threat), which he did.

I went back last summer for the first time in several years, and there's a lot more tall hotels, a casino, more tourist traps and trinket shops, and jam-packed hordes of smelly unmannered brown people with Canada baseball caps jabbering in Tamil, Arabic or some other mudlanguage mugging for their iconic 'Canada Photo'. It really made me shake my head.
>>
>>1164273
This. I had such a wonderful time in Paris, and really that's enough for me. I've been to other parts of France that were also awesome (maybe more so), but I still like Paris. I didn't find people arrogant or whatever, in fact quite open and easy to get into contact with for a big city full of tourists. I was there for 2 weeks and I even got dates with local qts (one who turned out to have a boyfriend she was cheating on --- oooops), and a couple club sluts, and I'm kinda chubby and wasn't even really trying. It might help I know some French, but it's only very rusty Tarzan French. I did most of the 'checklist' tourist sites in the first 2 or 3 days, and then explored other areas. It's immediately obvious that 75% of tourists and 100% of gypsies and trinket sellers hang out in one of 4 or 5 main tourist spots (Sacre Couer, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Louvre, etc.). Leave those areas and it's a whole other experience.

Sure I got approached a couple times by some African keychain seller or filthy gypsies. So what? Wave your hand at send them away. Is this babby's first trip outside your lily white suburb?
>>
>>1165401
>babby's first visit to /trv/
>>
>>1165606
Sounds like you suffer from cognitive dissonance, /pol/fag. Protip: the problem isn't the city, it's you.
>>
File: Italy_Sardinia_refugees.webm (2MB, 400x326px) Image search: [Google]
Italy_Sardinia_refugees.webm
2MB, 400x326px
paris or london
>>
>>1166005
>1.super unfriendly locals
I did not find this true. It's a big city, so you should know what to expect. But I had multiple people (white French-speakers, fyi) ask me if I needed help finding somewhere when I was looking at my map. I only had one surly waiter, once.
>2.how much u can feel the racial stratification and hate
I didn't think so. I talked to several black locals, too. One was of Martinique-ian (?) background and having a little rum and roast pork party with his family on some random street, and I just stopped to ask for directions. Next thing I know he's pouring me (and the hostel dude I was with) a glass of straight Martinique rum, giving me a plate of BBQ pork, and I'm chatting with his extended family. Stayed for an hour.

Arabs are scum though.

>3.how dirty it is
It's 2016. It's a big city. I found it cleaner than American cities though.
>4.how shit it's metro is
I found it pretty decent. Not too expensive and goes almost everywhere. It can be crowded, but that's not really the fault of the metro itself.
>5.how many tourists there are
Tourist like you?
>6.how expensive it is
Welcome to economics 101.
>>
>>1166006
I think you underestimate how hard it is to find decent weed in the rest of Europe. There are too many scumbags though, that's true. Just got to find a coffeeshop with the right vibe.
>>
>>1166353
>tourists like you?
No, anon, you don't understand. He is no tourist. He is a REAL traveller(TM)
>>
>>1164050
Has anypne given any reason the Caribbean is overrated yet? Where it falls short of expectations?
>>
>>1166343
Things have changed a lot since Pepe became a symbol of fascism. Most news sources don't mention 4chan directly but kids aren't stupid and they know how to find this place. It's ironic actually that I seem to think the site has gone down hill since the American election started because I only start coming to 4chan when I heard about a 1337 hacker named Anonymous on the news.

The upside is that people who travel are those who admire the diversity of cultures on this planet, so I think the current invasion will be short-lived. You also have to consider that newfags tend to temper themselves a bit after they've been here for a while.
>>
>>1166206
Chicago is all about the underground. It's a city that's inaccessible to outsiders, in my opinion. It's very unique in this sense.
>>
>>1163800
Berlin is awesome. Halt die Klappe.
>>
America is very overrated however not due to any stupid /pol/tard reasons. It's simply an extremely boring country with no culture and that is not nearly as "diverse" as Americans claim it to be. It's clear the only thing that matters in that country is corporate profit and debt-fueled decadence and this applies to every single corner in the country. That said the only part of the country that wasn't a festering shit-hole of obesity and backwardness was some areas of New England. There were some cities on my road trip I did somewhat enjoy that most people told me to avoid like Chicago, New Orleans, and Philadelphia, however cities that were indeed incredible overrated were Miami, L.A., Seattle, SF, and San Diego (this was highly recommended by /trv/ when I asked about it but it was incredibly boring, probably more boring than L.A. if you can believe it).
>>
Any place in Costco travel ads
>>
ITT: Big, major cities that people want to visit anyways
>>
Zurich
source, I live here
Honestly amazed at people wanting to visit a city where the theme is people working.
>>
>>1166157
I got really lost one day while biking around brooklyn and In the matter of 15 blocks i went through an all black neighborhood to a mexican neighborhood to an industrial neighborhood with a terribly polluted river to the hipster neighborhood and finally to the jewish neighborhood. The buildings mostly looked the same but the people varied so greatly. That city is also a clusterfuck with its road system.
>>
>>1166662
Geneva is worse. People visit it because it's a famous name, and then see how boring and soulless it is.
>>
>>1166635
Where are you from?

>America is very overrated however not due to any stupid /pol/tard reasons
>proceeds to post a bunch of /pol/-tier memes about why America sucks
>LE EVERYONE CAPITALIST MAYMAY
>LE NO CULTURE MAYMAY
>>
>>1166702
This, and how fucking expensive it is, at least zurich looks nice in the center
>>
>>1164538
Venice is a ghost town From september to May.
>>
>>1166341
Im Dutch and I love visiting Berlin for a long weekend and going on a serious alcohol/drug bender. But I do know that it is nothing like actual germany, I live 5 minutes from the border. I like the radicalism and degeneracy.
>>
>>1164328
you can say a lot about Amsterdam but it isnt boring.
>>
>>1166761
Maybe it's all just passé to me, I dunno. Years ago, I loved that air of Berlin too. Nowadays I look at people (at least in the hipster areas, as there are 'normie'-zones too), and really find that I want to either roll my eyes or punch someone.
>>
>>1165618
>>1165634
>>1166270
>>1166349
t. Larry Geltman
>>
File: Venezuela-master675.jpg (81KB, 675x415px) Image search: [Google]
Venezuela-master675.jpg
81KB, 675x415px
>>1165268
Some maniquís maybe (Image is unrelated but 4 u to get an idea of the strange maniquis)

Also the sea is full of pollution
>>
>>1166978
>t. Larry Geltman

t. Grandmage Groxlar B. Lizardsson
>>
I lived in NYC for a year and hardly left the house, since I am a loser. There is so much to be explored in the city but the main city and like downtown brooklyn weren't anything special. I wish I had done more but I don't know what to do. My biggest adventure was working in a grocery store and walking to south side of Brooklyn to return my cable box lol
>>
>>1167051
please give me one example of something you can only do in new york

I'm not trying to be sour or anything, but the 'cool' things that anyone has ever talked about doing in new york have sounded like people admiring their own buttholes 9.9/10 times
>>
>>1166978
oi vey he's figured it out. quick, to the moisha mobile!
>>
File: 1443348209107.jpg (6KB, 200x218px) Image search: [Google]
1443348209107.jpg
6KB, 200x218px
>>1165634
>other people have different opinions about things
>>
>>1167076
Visit the Statue of Liberty.
See the neon lights on Broadway, decide if they are, as they say, bright. Perhaps see a show.
See if they'll still let you climb the stairs up the Empire State Building. Decide, on reflection, to take the elevator.
Visit Ground Zero.
Watch the Rockettes do their kick-line and marvel tat society was ever so innocent that they were considered a bit racy.
Etc.

Every city, of course, has stuff unique to that city -- there are things in New York that have gotten embedded in our culture because the city is so big and influential.
>>
>>1167076
You jaded cunt, you ... if you want to get technical what is there to do anywhere in the world except eat, sleep and fuck? Why live the house when you can demand tendies from momma and jerk off? Why even visit travel boards when it is so blatantly obvious that New York has nothing interesting to offer and that all New Yorkers live their simply to flatter their own narcissism and hubris?

For fuck's sake cunt ...
>>
>>1163913
>he picked the only 4 cities here in the U.S. worth a damn
>>
>>1165711
Only hipsters actually think SF is better desu
>>
>>1166349
No, it's definitely not him. I visited the Manhattan back when I was a snot-nosed socialist and while I enjoyed the modern art museums it was really disappointing. I think other parts of NYC might by alright, though.
>>
>>1166635
>muh no culture
If you really want to see a place with no culture, go to a communist country like Vietnam or China. Go on, do it.
>>
Paris, France. Full of nothing but 58 year old saggy American women and Japanese girls.
>>
>>1165671
faggots
>>
>>1166180
>>1166174
>>1166182

any forced multicultural city is a shithole which has lost its identity. London for instance.
>>
>>1163874
Bali is cool man, you just need to discover the island and not only stay in the southern part like a dumbass. The northern-central part is beautiful, with the mountains and the twin lakes. Way more rural and less turistic. We went to the most western part as well to visit the National Park. Wasn't too much to see outside of some rare black monkeys, but it was amazingly calm in that area.

I thought Singapore and Dubai were a bit overrated. Didn't enjoy those places a lot.
>>
>>1167076
You can take the metro to central station and tour the country by train. It's honestly the best option, New York is essentially the basic bitch of cities: bland, unoriginal and not worth bringing your cheeky dick into.
>>
>>1166351
Where is this? Any idea on the story behind it?
>>
>>1168255
It's in Sardinia (mountainous Italian island next to Corsica - was pretty comfy until the hajjis flooded it). Not sure about the particulars, maybe another anon knows.
>>
>>1167076
Visit the Met, Moma, see Takehiko Inoue's wall paintings at Kinokuniya, watch an orchestra practice at Carnegie Hall
>>
>>1164522
Not sure, I'm not a local, but a friend of mine went during 'off season' and there were still tourists, just worse weather
>>
>>1166341
>Berlin isn't what the rest of Germany is like
That's why I love it, fag
>>
>>1166206
I've lived in Chicago for most of my life aside from college in Peoria, IL and I totally agree. Chiraq is bland, overpriced, and the city government tries really hard to fuck up the city more.

The city does have good neighborhoods with fun stuff to do like Pilsen, Little Italy, and Wicker Park, but as a whole it's a very depressing place to live.

That's why I'm moving my ass down to the Florida Keys and never coming back.
>>
Most overrated City in Germany is without any doubt: Hamburg.
>>
New York is the most incredible city in the world and if you don't like it the problem is you.

NYC essentials:

a) don't be a fucking pussy
b) be confident, positive and outgoing
c) being good looking helps
d) don't go there on a silly budget
e) also don't spend your money stupidly
f) plan your days AND nights
g) NYC is more than Manhattan south of 110th St

NYC is my mecca. Nowhere else on this Earth will make you feel more alive and will reward you as well for exploring. I've probably been there for one month's worth of days and there's still so much to see and do. Also making friends was so easy and fun that I have places to crash for when I want to go back.
>>
>>1166803
This is the thing I don't get Berlin sometimes. I don't understand why some fucking hipster new yorker funded by their banking exec dad would pay to live in a room next to Gorlitzer Park or some other sketchy part of XBergshain for 600 euro a month. I get it you want to be authentic it mate but come on. The waife>>1167076
rs and the navelgazers in this city really do my head in.
>>
>>1168378
It's about as interesting as Seattle, for better or worse, except it's German speaking, and happens to be the capital of Germany.

As the national capital, it's home to 'national' museums and flagship brand-name stores. And it's got a fair bit of shit about WW2 and of course Cold War history, if that's your interest. Other than that, it doesn't do anything 'better' than the rest of Germany. Unless cocaine, Turks, hipsters and surly locals are your thing, then it's got a lot of those.

You can love it, but it's still over-rated. Pleb.
>>
>>1168486
Berlin is definitely the most over-rated. Hamburg's main tourist draws are a little overrated (Reeperbahn, for example), and it's an expensive place to live (rent, etc.), and the try-hard lefty radicals are embarrassing, but they keep it from getting too gentrified and full of itself. Indeed, parts of Hamburg have an alternative vibe that is faaaaaar less pretentious and 'poser' than Berlin. The Elbstrand and other river-side beaches are pretty pathetic by beach standards, true, but the city nonetheless has a cozy 'seaside' vibe. Even if it is only the Elbe.
>>
>>1163865
>implying 95% of immigrants to any given country aren't men
>>
>>1168036

This, thought kintamani (sp?) was absolutely beautiful

>tfw eating in a restaurant perched on top of a caldera rim
>>
>>1168639
Berlin is overrated because it's been over-romanticised in films like Christiane F./Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo and because it has a bigger place in the 'collective memory' than Hamburg in general, or the rather Hamburg's place has waned since Berlin became the capital again
But I do agree, since the biggest fucking pretentious posers I ever met I met in Berlin, though a lot of these were actually foreigners (French, Finnish, and one Jap who was really annoying) and so posers by definition. Even still it's like everyone's trying to go back to the 80's like that one Aqua song.
I still like going to Berlin because alcohol and drugs are cheap and easy and because it's a great city for partying in general, but I avoid staying for too long in the 'hip' districts and talking to people there because it's suffocating, like the climate there.
>>
>>1169243
or rather*
>>
>>1168494
You hit the nail on the head, friendo.
>>
File: 1465218380466.jpg (316KB, 1536x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1465218380466.jpg
316KB, 1536x1536px
>>1166333
>to fuck whores
>To party drink/drugs

Sex tourism is how I get down, anon san
>>
>>1163693
London,Nassau,Brisbane, Bangok(only good thing there is its cheap prostitutes, nothing good to visit and full of scamers). Miami is cool for parites, so if your in your 20s its a dream paradise. Paris is good but there are too many tourists so it gets really gay, no suprise why the locals get pissed when they're asked for the 20th time where a good restaurant is.
>>
File: 1466082535568.jpg (5KB, 275x200px) Image search: [Google]
1466082535568.jpg
5KB, 275x200px
>>1167798
Already have my ticket to Saigon ready for Tet. Hookers and pho, here I come!
>>
>>1166333
Good goy.
>>
I think there's been plenty of talk of NYC already, but I agree that it's actually a great place to visit if you look beyond Times Square and south of 110th, and I'm pretty sure this is the case with most places. It's ok to try to enjoy the most touristic and popular attractions, but not spend all or most of your time focusing on them.

I went there on my first solo trip, on my 22nd birthday, after living all my life in the shitty commonwealth that is Puerto Rico and I had a great time, but I dedicated each day of the two weeks I spent there exploring all five boroughs (Staten Island not so much tho). I also took buses to visit friends in Pennsylvania and Indiana...

If you're like me and you're not used to other cultures, big cities and you haven't traveled much, NYC is a great place to visit, just don't be dumb and keep an open mind. I had a friend who went there with her family for a weekend and they spent all their budget staying at a hotel 2 blocks from Times Square, never once left the area and didn't even bother taking the subway. Their furthest trip was a taxi cab to and from the airport. Don't do shit like that...

srry 4 blog post
>>
>>1163780
Everytime one of you fucking reddit tier faggots has to report and delete a post that makes you butthurt. This post was 13 words and you get so iritated and ass pained that you have to stop what you're doing and click report.

It was a post that responded to OP's question and gave reasons why but because you don't like the reasons you had to report it.

Since you're too immature to ignore things you don't like then just fuck off and never come back to this site because you're obviously not older than 18 and can't function normally in a mature society.
>>
I don't see what San Francisco's appeal is
>>
>>1169352
You seem upset...

Maybe read the rules and come back and try again?
>>
Definetely Paris. So many fucking parasites and conmen. Once you've seen everything there is zero reason to ever go back.
>>
>>1166347

Yeah, sorry: when you go all over Europe and you only have to deal with bullshit at every attraction in Paris, all the while smelling the piss in the subways, you've just become the non-norm.

Barcelona is one of the pickpocket capitals in the world, and not a single god damn person bothered me there.
>>
File: 8.jpg (322KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
322KB, 1000x562px
>>1166160
>>1166157
>>1166162
>>1166163
>>1166165
Went to NYC for school. Spent two years living in midtown and 2 years living in the Bronx.

Even the fucking Bronx is pretty safe anymore. I have come back to my Bronx apartment at 3am on the D train countless times and have literally never felt at all in danger. Not every black person you see wants to rob you. Most are just heading home or just walking the fuck around. Only get jumpy if someone is actually following you, don't walk around blind drunk and don't flash your electronics and cash and you should be fine.

If you're a tourist, you should not be scared to visit anywhere in the new york metro area during the day. At night, I'd say just don't go to the bronx and don't go to central brooklyn. Other than that you're fine.

Honestly the most dangerous place in NY during the night might be times square because the only people down there at night are people looking to scam tourists. As a New Yorker though, I don't go within 4 blocks of times square if I can help it so it doesn't really affect me.
>>
the best things in america had nothing to do with america

>mexican food
>chinese food
>sushi bars
>italian food
>african food
>caribbean food
>indian food

I like food ok
>>
File: Nicetry.gif (328KB, 1000x773px) Image search: [Google]
Nicetry.gif
328KB, 1000x773px
>>1166255
You are trying too hard. Just play the "home of Zionism" card if you really want to bait people.
>>
>>1163693
Worked and lived in NY for 4 months.
I loved it. Some people just have less afinity for cities and are more into nature I guess.
>>
>>1163781
Really? I often go snowboarding in the Tirol area and think its a stunning area with extremely friendly people. Got to adapt to the prices though.
>>
>>1163787
Agree on the tourists, but its still incredibly beautifull. I'd just avoid the high season, it makes so much difference. Same for other European hotspots
>>
>>1169519
What hes saying doesnt even remotely sound like bait.
>>
>>1164088
current austin resident can confirm
I'd hate to be one of those Chinese tourists expecting Texas to be better than this because it isn't and never well be.

I love my state but we don't ride horses and Austin isn't a great way to welcome visitors
>>
>>1169536
Nm, I missed the joke
>>
>>1169458
I've just about been all over Europe, plus I live here. The trinket sellers and gypsies exist in other cities too. Your cherry picked anecdotes don't mean whole lot.

Like I said, as soon as you leave the 4 or 5 biggest tourist spots -- even one block away -- these people disappear. What made Paris fun was everything besides a few encounters with poorfags trying to sell me shit.

And do you know how mine went?
>African seller: "Bonjour bonjour, buy it buy it?"
>Gypsy: "Hallo? English? Sign my paper?/Look at this ring I found?!"
>me in both cases: "Non", then ignore them.
>and then they go away
It's really that easy. I think you pussy-ass fags that complain about this shit have never left your gated suburbs before going to Paris that this seems even all that remarkable in the first place.
>>
>>1169553
Paris is a shithole but it is true in general that people that get annoyed over sellers and scammers are just useless at dealing with them
>>
>>1166341
I've been in Berlin and Munich. The first one it was not very interesting, i just didn't feel comfortable.
The second, i loved it.
Given that, which other German cities would be a good option?
>>
>>1169603
Why can't they just learn to read body language and leave introverts the fuck alone? Jesus fucking Christ, I hate third-worlders.
>>
>>1169672
Hamburg is nice. Give it a try.
>>
>>1163693
Paris
>>
>>1169553
>>1169603
>>1169694
retards, its not about "dealing with them", its the fact that they're there in the first place. you really want your public spaces to be filled with that shit? where you can't sit and peacefully enjoy the space around you?
>>
>>1167076
If you live in NYC, you will have the opportunity to experience firsthand the art of pretty much any relevant artist in the world at some point. I mean music, film, and gallery types of art. This is an incredible privilege.
>>
>>1169718
I'm gay, I don't want any bloody dementors in my country because the overwhelming majority want to kill/punish me and will do exactly that once they become a sufficiently large proportion of the population.
>>
>>1163800
both of those places are fantastic.
>>
>>1169718
If they are there illegally, then quite frankly no I don't want them around because there is no accountability if they do rob or rape, etc. But the statistical fact is that the majority are really no great nuisance worth getting your panties in a twist and distracting you from the thousand other things to see and do in Paris. Gypsies are always scum, Arabs/Pakis are often scum but are more like garden-variety opportunistic scum, quite a lot of the African sellers are fairly chill. Go one block away from any huge tourist site and they start to evaporate.

The world isn't like your movie fantasies, deal with it.
>>
Macau is absolutely the shittest place I have ever been.

I was expecting Asian Las Vegas. And Vegas is a lot of fun with areas that cater to all budgets and a variety of non gambling activities in and around the casinos.

Macau is one big ducking baccarat pit. There is virtually no where just have a sit down unless you are paying to gamble or to eat/drink.

It's full of Chinese, which compounds it.

It's absolutely devoid of any interesting culture and is one big flashy veneer. A huge polished turd covered in gold and diamonds.

When I arrived, unable to find the bus I wanted I took a taxi. The taxi driver threw a fit that my destination wasnt far away enough. I told him he shouldn't be a taxi driver if he doesn't like it. Dick.
>>
Quebec.

Also got food poisoning all three times I've been in a resort in Cuba.
>>
I'd say Egypt is overrated.

Everyone moaning about trinket sellers in Europe should try going to a place where the population is 100% made up of such people. Modern Egyptians have noting to do with the ancient sites, and quite often treat them like shit. I had one devout Islamic tour guide (a woman covered foot to chin, hands included, plus a headscarf covering her hair) show us around. When explaining hieroglyphs, images or architectural symbology, etc. she would at literally every opportunity mention how it was, however, incorrect devil worship and that we shouldn't believe it, hamdullah. AS IF were going to really think asking an ancient scarab carving on the wall to bring us rewards from the heavens was going to work.

It's like, bitch why are you a tour guide if you're going to act like you'd prefer to see all of these ancient temples ground into powder to make cement to build a mosque.

This was back in 2008, but I have no doubt she is the sort of person who agreed when ISIS destroyed ancient sites.

Egypt is constant hassles and scams, filled with dirty, dishonest, desperate poorfag people. Sharm el-Sheik was probably the worst place of all, since it's even more intense scammery than elsewhere in Egypt, but without any ancient 'authenticity' to at least make up for it. It's one of the few places I genuinely hated.
>>
>>1163693
chicago, austin, la, orlando, cambodia, delhi, jamaica, shenzen, shanghai, miami, egypt, auckland
>>
>>1169935
>going to macau to gamble
>gambling

toplek
>>
>>1167076
barring the hundreds of iconic landmarks

it's the only place in the world where you can see ethnic enclaves of almost every culture in the world. name a culture, more then likly you can see their ghetto with a subway ride.
>>
>>1169310
totally agreed i dont know why people go half way around the world to go to some shitty over hyped tourist trap then complain about it. these are the same type of people who travel just to say they do it and talk shit on cities they havent even experienced

>staten island
>new york

pick one
>>
>>1166174
>>1166174
konichiwa stormfag !

>implying diversity doesnt spawn it's own culture
>>
>>1168494
no hong kong > new york
>>
>>1166255
>>1166255

I disagree with many of what you said but I agree with the electricity being quite expensive considering there's a fucking nuclear plant nearby.

The only thing expensive in New York is RENT and the shitty taxes. Everything else you can get for cheap if you know where to buy it. No not some super secret bodega bullshit store. Even local groceries are cheap. Takeout is damn cheap.

I swear you probably walk into 5 star restaurants with white linens and complain it's too expensive.

Honestly, New York isn't the greatest but it's probably one of the most convenient albeit expensive places to live in.

if Rent was cheaper it would be perfect.
>>
>>1168494
>b) be confident, positive and outgoing

Seriously. This.

So easy to strike up conversations with women here.
>>
>>1169966
>it's the only place in the world
lol, wow, you really think that don't you?
>>
>>1163913
>Los Angeles
>Miami
>Las Vegas
lmao those are some of our absolute worst cities
>>
>>1164557
shut up privileged faggot. san fran is a top 5 city in the world if you actually leave your house
>>
File: Banana.gif (3MB, 430x330px) Image search: [Google]
Banana.gif
3MB, 430x330px
>>1164557
>>1165711
>>1166168
>>1166635
>>1167453
>>1169441
>>1170022

The great thing about San Francisco is that it has so much in such a small amount of area. As long as you stay away from the Tenderloin area (which is really only about 6 square blocks) you'll be fine. For example, you could be relaxing with your shirt off in warm weather in Dolores Park and only a few blocks away you could be wearing a jacket on a chilly, foggy hill. I used to live next to San Francisco for several years.
Compared to other US cities, it's cleaner, more quiet, and less crime. You don't really ever hear too much news about San Francisco because it's basically a really big "small town." The Golden Gate Bridge is just one of a handful of really cool things to see. The entire city is built on hills which is unique and it pretty much has steady weather from March through November. It has great seafood too. I've never seen a Muslim anywhere there either, how could you not love that?

SF overrated? Sorry man, I have to disagree.

Someone else mentioned Hollywood. I've been there many times. Now THAT's overrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPS9bEEEEs0
>>
tokyo
bangkok
new york
london
>>
>People talking shit about Japan
Just lived 2 years over there, there's a bunch of cool shit visit, may even go back to check it out again. Maybe you should try getting out of the hotel room.

>Brazil
Very overrated, Rio is a piece of shit, São Paulo is not very touristy. The beaches at the northeast are okayish. Depending on your style you may like Pantanal/Amazônia, but you would need a tour guide/group.
>>
>>1169284
>Sex tourism is how I get down, anon san
Don't know if your honest or not. But I'm personally against it. See it as taking advantage of people/
>>
>>1169304
How the fuck am I the goy? You're the one that is paying a shit ton of money to go to some place thinking it will change you.
>>
>>1165606
You've obviously never been to NYC and are a butthurt /pol/fag

Lol, how out of touch does someone have to be to associate New York with Jews? There are a lot of course, but it's not like they dominate the city's culture.
>>
>>1165623
Harlem is hot you retard, brownstones there go for over a million dollars. Harlem was never a "jewel of white society" anyway lol, it's been known for black culture for quite some time.
>>
>>1166162
absolutely none, obviously
>>
>>1166157
yeah I agree. I even find those outskirt neighborhoods in Queens interesting.
>>1166163
I think it's a 100% coincidence that those are streets in Manhattan. Any street in that part of Manhattan would be safe anyway lol.
>>
>>1166171
I doubt Washington Heights, Inwood, and most or Harlem are even bad.

Plus there is soooo much Dominican booty in Washington Heights and Inwood
>>
>>1166182
you're either trolling, have almost no understanding of NYC, or both
>>
>>1166255
>3000 dollar apartment in 2001

this must be b8 unless you lived in literally the wealthiest neighborhood in the city

And like someone else said, for the most part it's just rent that's super high, groceries, clothes ,food are not that expensive.
>>
>>1168494
To tourists even see the cool parts of Manhattan south of 110th st?
>>
>>1169469
great post.

For what it's worth, I'm white and there's nowhere in NYC I feel uncomfortable.

I actually like venturing outside of the typical tourist and or rich white people neighborhoods
>>
>>1169967
I agree, but Staten Island is still very much NYC. At least the North Shore.
>>
>>1163693
London desu, I didnt met a single british person while I was there and everyone was super aggressive and angry.
>>
>>1163693
I found the Terracotta warriors to be pretty underwhelming, but that was probably part due to my expectations. I was expecting some cool underground cavern with the figures positioned as they originally were, instead they're mostly just plonked in a big warehouse.
>>
>>1171691
Not to sound too dreadlocked, but our entire capitalist system is based on taking advantage of people. Unless you buy absolutely EV-ERY-THING fair trade, local, organic, whatever, you're contributing to taking advantage of people every single day, m8. The only difference with your everyday life is that there are 15 middle men all taking their cut between the producer and you.

With prostitutes it's a lot more direct. At best no middleman at all, at worst one pimp/madam/landlord.

Anyway, morality is pretty subjective, so if that's your belief, cool. I've never used a prostitute, but I suppose we all pay for sex in some way or another. just find a lot of the preachiness around prostitution excessively self-righteous.
>>
>>1171737
>inb4 das raciss
>>
>>1171737
>being a racist
>judging a city by one area 25 years ago
>>
>>1166351
they have a problem
>>
>>1171761
How is that racist? I should mention that growing up in Canada, KFC was never seen as a 'black thing' until the edgier black comedians (i.e. NOT Cosby, Fresh Prince and Steve Urkel) and their sitcoms made that stereotype more widely popular.

I'm willing to give Chicago another chance now that I'm a grown up, as I have many friends who've been and enjoyed. But it takes shoving your head real deep in the sand to deny it's got a, um, 'racialized poverty' problem.
>>
File: DSC02971.jpg (3MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02971.jpg
3MB, 3072x2304px
>>1170921
Brazilianfag not from those cities here.
Rio is really a piece of shit. NY + SF degeneration combined. I would NEVER live there. But I must admit Sugarloaf and Christ the Redeemer are must see. It has A LOT of history, but you must know Brazilian one deeper to really enjoy it,

São Paulo, by other hand, is the world's most unpersonalized and chaotic city. But it has a astonishing nightlife. Aaand the hookers/massage parlours.
About Northeast beaches, do you really consider this "okayish"?
>>
>>1171880
>How is that racist?
Your language was a bit of a tip-off.
>>
>>1171854
>edgy flyover detected
>>
>>1171882
Just needs more bunda, tho.

>>1171887
>edgy SJW detected
Why aren't you out getting a pumpkin spice latté before the protest, m8?
>>
>>1166355
any recommendations? going to amsterdam in a few weeks not for WEED LMAO reasons but i'd like to visit one once
>>
>>1171900
In Amsterdam, Dampkring. OK yes it's a little touristy (i.e. sometimes crowded) and no hidden gem, but they also have a very nice high-quality selection of weeds and hashes, and they are friendly and helpful to first-timers and tourists. Very professional. Do recommend.

I also like Barney's on Haarlemmerstraat (this is important because they have a few locations -- I mean the somewhat small original place simply called Coffeeshop, not lounge or uptown or anything else). I've had a couple instances with snooty/rushed budtenders, and as it's small you may not get a table to roll and smoke. Caters more to an experienced crowd, so they may expect you to know what you want. But still, the staff are usually fairly nice, and I've asked for them to compare strains before and they were patient and helpful, will let you smell/look to compare (as you may know, good weed should smell like it) . Quality weed and hash, overall. I also like the Dolphin. A limited selection of in-house strains, and a somewhat scary (when you're high) spiral staircase to the smoking room, but it's a cozy and unpretentious place.

I'd avoid anything Bulldog, or anywhere too full of AYYYYLMAO or bob marley imagery (I like reggae but can't stand that kind of shit). You'll know what I mean when you see it. The understated places usually have better shit, IME.

In Amsterdam you are always paying 'capital city' prices, and in smaller provincial cities you get the same quality shit for less. Best hash I've ever bought was from Den Haag, and my favourite coffeeshop is actually in Enschede (yes, I'm a Germanfag).
>>
>>1171891
Not even an SJW, but you're a retard if you think any city with black people is bad.
>>
>>1171993
Good thing I didn't say that at all, did I?
>>
>>1171993
Why? Are you not allowed to like your own culture anymore?
>>
>>1171882
There are many pretty beaches but the bigger cities are not very safe and the smaller ones are too "isolated/undergroundish". But they certainly are the best beaches on Brazil.

Thing is, there are nicer beaches around the world and I, and suppose most of the the chan, have a finite amount of money to be visiting places.
>>
File: AP.jpg (141KB, 689x1000px) Image search: [Google]
AP.jpg
141KB, 689x1000px
>Barcelona
>Vienna
>Salzburg
>Prague
>North Italy
>Whole Thailand
>>
>>1172154
Nobody said you had to assimilate to black culture
>>
>>1172120
For starters, there are over 2 million black people in NYC and it's the most sought after city in the country
>>
>>1165011
Almost every city is equally shitty. If you visit a foreign place "just to go to the city" then your going to have a bland trip.
>>
>>1164050

Beach activities are not really a vacation to me. You can do everything in Florida for much cheaper. I can see beaches and jungle in Brazil, but have access to so much more at the same time.

To each their own though. If someone likes laying on a beach doing nothing, that's completely fine.
>>
>>1172329

>it's the most sought after city in the country

By who? Fag actors and "artists"?

The 3 largest cities have stagnant population growth because they suck. Everyone wants to be in , Seattle, Denver, Austin, and Charlotte at the moment.
>>
>>1164517
Tanzania is great for nature. But culture is non-existent
>>
>>1172329
The reasons NYC is 'sought after' (whatever that is supposed to mean exactly) have very little to do with its black inhabitants. Some might even say in spite of it.
>>
akihabara
I don't understand what cool japan is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKLhXSZMsok
>>
>>1172207
>the bigger cities are not very safe
i worked in belo horizonte for a short while and never had any problems there, though for tourism it's complete shit as there's fuck all to do there for gringos
>>
File: drunkmario.gif (2MB, 250x248px) Image search: [Google]
drunkmario.gif
2MB, 250x248px
>>1163781
>Mfw you can't even swim in the Gruner See anymore
I understand telling divefags to fuck off, but you can't even swim in it anymore? Tha fuck.
>>
>>1163696
My fucking sides
>>
>>1172366
Are you retarded? I'm not denying those other cities are cool, but it's not just "fag actors" who want to live in NYC lol. And every city you stated has a huge minority population lol.

>>1172464
The presence of black people is obviously not a detriment to NYC's image, unless you live under a rock and your idea of NYC is stuck in 1990.
>>
>>1172207
That beach in question is Mangue Seco, Bahia state. It's around 1:30 from Aracajú and I went with a tour company with my family. Right now I'm in Fortaleza and there are GOATs beaches, still not that damaged by tourism, in Ceará state - and Beach Park waterpark. There are flights to US and Europe
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 214x235px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 214x235px
>>1165671
>>
>>1168494

this. every time I go it feels like drinking 10 cofees at once.
>>
>>1172464
People flock to Harlem so there's that
>>
>>1169469
>went to school in NYC
>for 2 years
>as a New Yorker

Nah, senpai. That's not how it works.
>>
American here.

Let me tell you how to enjoy New York City. Literally just sit in Union Square all day and watch/talk to people. Look up 'Normal Bob Smith' on Youtube, and you will see what I mean. He sits there all day and films all the crazy shit that happens in that park. It's absolutely hilarious and you will enjoy yourself. Go to the tourist places for selfies, but don't bother spending money on anything. It's really not worth it. You're better off walking the entire time and just getting lost. It's definitely a rush.

Absolutely stay away from Orlando, Florida. It is completely overrated and you will have a miserable time.

In fact, don't even bother going to any of the major cities unless you are passing through just to take selfies just to say you've been there.

The best thing to do in America is going out to the countryside. The national parks. The tiny little towns that you can only get to by hitching a freight train. There's nothing like the natural beauty we have here. The Great Smoky Mountains and Appalachia, the canyons and weird rock formations and huge cactuses of the Wild West, the Temperate Rainforest of the Pacific Northwest, the swamps of the Deep South, the endless plains of the Prairies with a tornado in the distance, the fall colors of New England, the Rocky Mountains, Hawaii, Alaska.

Fuck the city. The country is where it's at.
>>
>>1172832
You have to have a car to go anywhere in america that isn't a major city which makes it more expensive and/or more complicated, thus, most foreign tourists just go to the major cities.
>>
>>1172688
Even in the 20s, white people went to Harlem to see Jazz Music

And nowadays the white population of Harlem is exploding

>>1172769
Well, his opinion is worth a lot more than someone who's never been to NYC.

>>1172832
Union Square is great, I hang out there sometimes to pregame (I don't recommend doing that) and there's always some interesting stuff going on.
>>
>>1163874
>Tokyo
It's literally the world's biggest city, that alone is merit enough to visit it. You could spend a year there and still not gotten the full experience.

t. Slightly buttflustered exchange student
>>
>>1164273
Fukin istanbul is cleaner and more interesting

France just sucks in general. Go to spain instead.
>>
File: checkem.jpg (22KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
checkem.jpg
22KB, 472x472px
>>1165999
acknowledge the trips of truth !
>>
Amsterdam
>>
>All of these people saying NYC
It's really not that fucking terrible people. I lived there for over a year and had lots of fun, met lots of cool people from all kinds of different backgrounds. I met like one person whose assholery stuck in my head and that was it. If you have money to stay in some luxurious hotel room like at the Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton then you'll have an even better time. It's definitely a city you can go to multiple times in your life and not get tired of it.
>>
>>1172208
Salzburg is the most beautiful city I've visited. I will never forget the time I watched the orange sun blaze on the face of an Alp on a fresh, blue morning.
>>
>>1166333
Go to a pretty beach, mountain, or waterfall you pleb.
>>
>>1169975
>New York's the greatest if you get someone to pay the rent

https://youtu.be/MGlPm1o5Z2Q
>>
>>1174319
naw cunt, NYC is pretty bad

if you have money, it doesn't get you much more than what you can get in any other city. and having money does NOT get rid of your problems, whereas a moderate amount of money gets rid of problems in most other cities

NYC is fucking awful, the positives are expensive and minor, and there's no way to mitigate the huge downside
>>
>>1174374
what the hell are you talking about?

I doubt you've even lived in NYC, and if you have/do then you're probably an emo
>>
>>1174389
jealousy breeds contempt. You see this pattern over and over. The largest most successful city in almost every western country is derided for much the same reasons NYC is here (London, Sydney, Paris, Toronto, etc. etc.). That is, all pretty flimsy reasons.
>>
>>1174399
ah, yes, people afraid of being stabbed in broad daylight, and afraid, means they're "jealous"

what an astute observation. it's clear from your powers of perception that you have clearly seen all of the factors feeding into this, and have clearly made the best decision about where to live. please, for the sake of everyone else, don't ever leave
>>
>>1174400
I don't live in NYC, and I'm not even from the US. I wouldn't even generally say I'm a huge NYC fanboy.

Someone's fears of a place and the reality of that place are not necessarily correlated. The highest violent crime cities in the US include St.Louis, Memphis, Baltimore, Detroit and New Orleans. Zones of mortal danger include such death traps as Milwaukee, Indianapolis or Anchorage, which all rank higher. NYC doesn't even make the top 30.

Globally-speaking, the highest violent-crime cities are by far in South and Central America, with a few in South Africa.
>>
>>1174400
NYC is one of the safest big cities in the country, it's not 1985 anymore
>>
>>1174400
>people afraid of being stabbed in broad daylight

So you're basing your concept of NYC on 80s films? I bet you think everyone walks around with an Italian accent going "ey yo can't yous see I'm walkin 'ere?!" Oh yea and everyone there has a gun as well so make sure to avoid looking anyone in the eyes.
>>
>>1166347

>chubby
>banging gorgeous thin fashionable 10/10 French women

Does not compute. Liar.

They don't like fatties over there. I on the other hand had women all over me thanks to my based street style and supernal bone structure.
>>
>>1174416
>based street style

i get that /trv/ is a more mature and grown up board but this is the most /a/ thing i've read in a while.

i'm willing to bet you use /fa/
>>
File: 61510PaleJkt_1596Web.jpg (370KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
61510PaleJkt_1596Web.jpg
370KB, 500x750px
>>1174436

>/fa/
>american teenagers
>style

Does not compute. Not a single stylish European would ever visit that shithole for inspiration. Git gud.
>>
>>1163693
Tel Aviv. Besides the waterfront, just about everything is rundown-to-shit. I was staying in a "nice" neighborhood with all young professionals and expensive cafes, yet most buildings were falling apart and all the public areas were covered in garbage, dog shit, and bird shit. Considering it's the most secular and career-focused city in probably the entire middle east, this was disappointing. Jerusalem is full of religious freaks, many of whom don't work or pay taxes, yet as a whole, the place is impeccably clean and well-maintained. Netanya, Akko, and Tiberias were all nicer towns than Tel Aviv.
>>
>>1174412
Don't forget the Jets and the Sharks
>>
>>1174416
You're a meteosexual virgin, stop lying
>>
>>1174462
I want to punch the people in your pics in the mouth

they don't look stylish, they look weak manchildren

go ahead and look down on /fa/ for being unfashionable. you're both fags
>>
>>1174416
lol, k. I don't care what you believe, nor about your faggoty e-dick swinging either.

But honestly, I was a little (pleasantly) surprised too. I'd have thought Paris would be harder. Although I'm chubby, I guess it helps I have an attractive face, money (working, not a student), can speak some (Quebecois-tinged) French, speak another third language fluently and have lived abroad for a while. A good back story does far more than some shallow numale twat in his little sisters' pants. Maybe French bitches just love Canadian cock.

Also I didn't say 10/10s, more like 7-8s. But slim and fit, cute, normie, so good enough for me. As for the club sluts, one was some kind of local black-mixed girl (lots of fun, met her again later, still have her on FB), one was a Colombian living in Paris for a few years and one an Austrian tourist (kind of a bitch, but had sex so ayyyy).

That's the thing about Paris -- bitches think it's magical and every dude there is some kind of romantic prince or whatever. Just being there is a panty-dropper to some extent.
>>
I haven't seen New Zealand mentioned yet, which is good since I am going there for a year this November. It seems like a perfect place, and it also doesn't seem to apply to the whole, "eat, sleep and shit" thing some of you guys are talking about. Any naysayers on NZ?
>>
>>1163913
Yes Los Angeles is the worst STOP coming here
>>
Basically any large city where the inhabitants believe they are better or higher up than anyone not from their city. The definition of small minded and self obsessed.
>>
>>1167452
What's Nashville?
>>
so from reading this thread, every city is over rated and not worth visiting
>>
>>1174790
The more I travel, the more I realize this is the case.
>>
>>1174790
life is overated and not worth living
>>
>>1169444
Maybe you should read the rules and not come back? There was nothing wrong with the original post. It was just some fagbag's butthurt that made it go away. Don't like harsh reality? Then off yourself so you don't have to deal with it anymore.
>>
File: caebaffff2f8a0f921d33bc14f4bf1e2.jpg (150KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
caebaffff2f8a0f921d33bc14f4bf1e2.jpg
150KB, 1600x1200px
>>1163693
Why hasn't been Iceland mentioned yet? It was still pretty ok in 2013 but it has been absolutely overwhelmed by the McBurgers ever since

>muh volcanoes
>muh mountains
>muh glaciers
bitch you can't make it from the harbor to Laugavegur without a taxi
>>
New York City by far
>>
>>1168494

It's literally one of the worst cities in the world. Stop playing
>>
>>1174809

true, i lived in manhattan for a year and it's by far the worst experience of my life
>>
>>1174810
>live
>in Manhattan
Did you work in IB, PE, accounting, consulting or what?
>>
You may not like New York, that's fine. But a city with the imaoct tht it has on the globe, on global culture. A city that is so vast, so varied, and so unique. I don't see how it can be overrated. I don't even like New York. I find it dirty, trash literally piled on side walks, especially in the winter. Too fast paced. People too cocky and self assured. But I recognize its power and importance. I recognize its influence, and I can't see where it's overrated.
>>
>>1169501
Well, the true American cuisine is BBQ, and the BBQ capitals (NC, Texas, Memphis, KC) aren't international tourist hotspots.
>>
>>1174812

neither, i lived with my ex gf that had money, over in midtown east with the view of the hudson
>>
>>1163693
>ITT overrated simply means "I don't like this place"
>No one actually gives expectations/ratings of a place and where the place falls short, thus making it overrated
>>
Pretty much anywhere in Europe. At least for Americans. Ask any American where they'd like to visit and 90% of the time it's something along the lines of "I want to travel to Europe and visit England, France, Germany, and Italy."
>>
>>1174794
False expectations are clearly more your fault than a city's.
>>
>>1174934
Uh, and how exactly does that make entire countries overrated?
>>
>>1163693
The great wall or at least the parts near beijing. Place is a tourist trap and views are ruined because its filled with smog.
>>
>>1164273
Its filled with fucking niggers doot
>>
>>1166005
u're never been in rome..even wrose..and south italy where there are special prices if u are a tourist..
>>
>>1174981
Most cities that are worth visiting have large black populations
>>
>>1175159
Nope
>>
>>1165204
>>Cambodia is overpriced for a third-world country; the people are cunts and I wish Pol Pot had killed more of them - especially the tuk-tuk drivers (paid myself)

kek
>>
>>1164274
That applies to any touristy places in Paris. And also, aside from around the Sacré Coeur, Montmartre is mostly tourists and locals. I know this because I live on rue Lepic. The Boulevard de Clichy, on the other hand...
>>
>>1165204
you didn't Manhattan right (also NYC is more than just Manhattan)
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.