[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

traveling to machu picchu next week

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

Hey guys, traveling to cuzco next week, going to make a 4 days track n want some advices about. Hostel l, nice places to go, restaurants n so! Help me out guys!
>>
hi OP Im also going to Machu Pichu too from Sep 23 to Oct 1st
I booked a 4 day tour from this website:

http://lokihostel.com/en/travel/area/machu-picchu

Besides machu pichu, it includes cusco city, rainbow mountain (vinicunca), and sacred valley.

They are a budget option for backpackers, probably one of the cheapest alternatives for peru. They include mostly everything (hostel and transportation), except from meals and entry ticket to ruins.
>>
>>1159336
Where are you coming from OP?
>>
Not OP but I'm glad I found a relevant thread.

For those people who did the saw Machu Picchu can you detail what it was like getting there, and then what it was like once you were there.

Any pics would be appreciated as well.
>>
>>1159734
Brazil
>>
File: bird in hat.jpg (87KB, 366x321px) Image search: [Google]
bird in hat.jpg
87KB, 366x321px
>>1159735
>can you detail what it was like getting there
I too would like to hear something of this.
>>
from pictures it seems that you could fall to your death at any minute
>>
>>1159336

> what it was like getting there

There's more than one way so it really depends on you / your planning. You can take the train which is fairly comfortable, decent scenery, relatively fast. Then you walk a couple meteres and you're there.

Or you can take one of the many trails there (Inca Trail being the best known). This can be a multi-week affair with fantastic views, varying level of comfort, and pretty hard if you're out of shape since the altitude can hit you hard. I've done both ways, and hiking was definitely my favourite way because you really see how you're just in the middle of nowhere and all of a sudden there's a huge-ass city in the mountains.
>>
>>1160143
I took the train when I was there. It was a little over an hour ride if I remember correctly. Pretty scenery and mountains; the roof of the train had windows so you can look up and out!

Once we arrived at the train station in Ollantaytambo, we walked around the little pretty city there for a while with a huge market/bazaar thing. Pretty cool to buy little trinkets and stuff.

Then we hopped on buses that drove us up this huge winding, kind of precarious, road.

The bus dropped us off right at the entrance to Macchu Pichu and we walked right in.

Updating with pics.
>>
File: 341.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px)
341.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1160157
>>1160143
Ollantaytambo train station (this is where we left from. The next stop is not Ollantaytambo; I was wrong in first post).
>>
File: 352.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px)
352.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1160161
>>1160161
>>
File: 365.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
365.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1160162
Getting off the train to board the buses.
>>
File: 411.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px)
411.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1160163
View from the Sun Gate (45-ish minute easy hike up from Machu Picchu).

That's the winding dirt road that we drove up on buses. The drive down was just as scary!
>>
File: 381.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
381.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1160167
>>1160167
I miss it! Wanna go back someday,
>>
Has anyone traveled Peru outside of Machu Picchu?
I'm curious what else is worth seeing, how much to budget, and if it's safe.
>>
>>1160237
I will be going on March-April,and Cordillera Blanca and Lake Tititaca seem like good places to go to
>>
I want to do the Inca Trail too and was wondering where one is able to store their backpack with unnecessary stuff while doing the hike ?

Or are people just taking everything with them?
I will be on a Tour through South America and I am sure that I will not need everything I have with me for the trail
>>
Too many fuckin different people asking questions. I've travelled through Peru for 2 months. I'll answer some of your questions not directly replying to anons, but from the questions I've seen. If you want more details just ask.

1. Cuzco is a nice laid back city, I'd recommend going for food at the food court which is just a 5 minutes walk from the main square. They serve local and cheap as fuck food there and you can go for a nice jugo before and after. If your Spanish is on par you'll have a wonderful time chatting up with the standkeepers and get lots of leftovers for free.

2. Hostels are another thing, I personally just used the hostel to drop down in my bed after drinking and before and after the trek to Machu Picchu. I stayed in Pariwana. It's ok, beware for drunken annoying Australians everywhere in SA tho.

3. I know Loki from La Paz, if you enjoy getting fucked up partying and don't mind sleeping like shit it's fine.

4. I'd always recommend Salkantay over Inca Trail and so does everyone besides the ones who only did Inca Trail. Salkantay is "more advanced" but worth it.

5. For all treks you just need a basic level of fitness. Everyone can experience altitude sickness, no matter your fitness, chew coca leaves, make sure to adapt for a day or 2 in Cuzco before doing the trek.

6. For clothes: Layer up. Especially when doing Salkantay. You'll be going from freezing your ass off to burning up.

7. For that one anon Cordillera Blanca (SantaCruz trek) is fuckin amazing. I'd highly recommend it. Lake Titicaca is a must see. It has awesome vistas, I personally found Isla del Sol disappointing (it's really dependent on the season since sometimes it's deserted as fuck), but others swear by it. Copacabana is a shithole, might as well travel through to La Paz since it's not that big of a drive.
>>
>>1160374
>>1160628
To answer your question, you can leave it in a locker room at the hostel. They're used to it. Just bring a daypack for treks.
>>
>>1160630
Thanks !
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.