[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Russia travels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: 1429609364599.jpg (97KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
1429609364599.jpg
97KB, 750x500px
Hey, /trv/,
I'm travelling to Russia next year (Moscow and Saint Petersburg).
I speak basic conversational Russian and can quite easily read and understand Cyrillic.

As an Australian, will I be safe?
Is there anything I should be aware of? do's and dont's?

Thanks in advance
>>
>>1158830
Australian here. I mean, I'm in Vladivostok right now and I feel safe.
For what it's worth.
>>
Gonna be safe in those cities. No kangaroo steaks though
>>
>>1158830
If you can read cyrillic and can speak Russian, you are golden much better off than most tourists there. Use common sense and you will be fine.
>>
I'am from Russia
Messages with you questions send to my e-mail:
[email protected]
>>
>>1159038
> that pleb form of Sergey
Op, don't do it, it's a 16 yr old fag
>>
>>1158933
basically this, use your time to improve and solidify your language skills and the rest is easy

try to go summer when not rainy
avoid winter (not even a meme)

dont talk excessively about politics and putin, neither positive nor negative

I dont know your story but Im assuming you dont know their struggles and everyday life so its better to avoid the topic

dont flash cash around and dont brag

you will stick out as a tourist, no doubt, so try and embrace that, smile and wave to people, theyll be impressed when they hear bits of russian from an obvious foreigner

also have your documentation iron clad or the police will shake you down, avoid non-necessary conversation with them

what else would you want to do/experience?
>>
>>1159770

Not OP, but -

I'm going this December. I'll be flying in at Saint Petersburg, and then flying out of Moscow.

My russian is also conversational. I'm hoping to practice my speaking while out there, but do you think this will be easy? I'm fairly confident and have no issues speaking to strangers, but I hear Russians might not be particularly sociable with an obvious foreigner (i'm a 19yo British male).

I was also wondering - where is the best place to be in Moscow for new years eve celebrations? Кpacнaя плoщaдь?
>>
>>1159780
Can I tag along too?
>>
>>1158830
>>1159780
Honestly I have no idea because I've never been to Russia, but I really can't imagine that Russians would be hostile, especially in cities with lots of tourism, such as Moscow and St Petersburg. I know Western-Russian relations aren't exactly great, but I don't think that's much of an issue for the average person on the street. You both say that you speak basic Russian, so use that when you can and I'm sure people will appreciate the effort, even if their English is much better than your Russian. Be polite, show an interest in their culture, and observe the local rules/customs. I really can't imagine that anyone would have a problem with you if you did that, especially if you stayed in the fairly touristy areas.
>>
And dont drink with a stranger
Never
>>
>>1159780
>>1159785
Britbro should make a thread some days before he goes, i will also be there around that time.
>>
>>1159780
Have never been on Red Square on New Year Eve personally, but it has been said that it's mostly guest workers from Central Asia who hang out there at the time.
>>
>>1159780
>I was also wondering - where is the best place to be in Moscow for new years eve celebrations? Кpacнaя плoщaдь?

Well, I'd say Vorobyovy Gory and MSU-area are bretty good to see firework. Russians mostly celebrate New Year at home or dacha houses, but there're also parties in clubs, so maybe it would be better if you find a company somewhere
>>
You'll be fine. I was in Samara during the Crimea/Dontesk shitshow and the worst I dealt with were two drunks. They got pushy, asking if I was American. I said no, and offered them a smoke. End of story and life went on.

>>1159872
Don't be silly, it's fine. My friends and I drank with some real blydo types after a football match and it was a great time except for their god awful pickled mushrooms.
>>
>>1159872

What? Do it sometimes and don't be an autistic moron.
>>
say as russki , russian police is retarded , thats all
>>
Kiwi here who went to Moscow and St P last year. Russian women are drop dead fucking gorgeous. Felt pretty safe, but I believe in walking round cities confidently like you have an appointment to make, and I'm a very obvious tourist. Red hair - not cargo shorts and hawaiian shirts. The male population seem to eye tourists pretty suspiciously and perhaps covetously, but had no problems.
>>
>>1158830
Went there last year for 4 days each. Moscow reminds of the communist era, St. of the 19th century, I would say moscow is better for tourists and St. to live, realy liked the atmosphere at St.
>>
You guys who know some Russian are the most likeable type of tourists to Russians.Protip: if you learn some swearwords, all the lowlife bydlo will adore you.

>>1161057
Never seen anyone abbreviating St.Pertersburg like this. It is called Piter for short.
>>
American uni student who was in Russia this past summer.
You'll definitely be safe. I went all over Moscow to both tourist and residential areas and I never felt like I was under any immediate threat, even at night. I'd say if you're in an area that doesn't get many tourists, then just act low key and don't act as if you don't know what you're doing. But if you speak conversational Russian this may not even be a problem, unless you get approached by some corrupt police.
>>
Russian here, if you plan to visit Moscow/St. Peterburg you're going to be okay, especially if you speak some russian. However you should be ready to indulge some young people in having a conversation with you in english, trust me, you will meet people who will jump at the opportunity. Stick to the central/north-eastern areas of Moscow, there's not really much to see otherwise. Don't expect older people to speak english, young and somewhat stylish looking people usually speak some though. You will probably get a lot of attention from russian girls if you go to a club and socialize a little. Have fun and don't try to catch pokemon in a church.
>>
File: karta_metro_2015_.jpg (328KB, 1572x1819px) Image search: [Google]
karta_metro_2015_.jpg
328KB, 1572x1819px
If you're planning to go to Moscow, then remember this. Don't go outside the circle. Not that it's dangerous (you'll be ok, don't worry), just very plain and boring in terms of architecture. I live in Moscow, so I could answer some of your questions.
>>
>>1161900
it's very old scheme
>>
>>1161900
I wouldnt say he should completely stay within the circle. There are some nice places like Kolomenskaya, Sparrow Hills, MSU and the palace of Catherine the Great.
>>
>>1161900
Yes, comrade, how could you forget mkzd (new ring road), also don't leave the ring rule also sounds like pizdesh, there are tons of places to see, eg Vorobievy hills/Moscow State U
>>
>>1161968
Hive
>>
>>1161900
Not true
Izmailovskaya (east dark blue line) has a good fair site for souvenirs.
And VDNKH (north orange line) and Park Pobedy (west dark blue/yellow line) are must-see places.
>>1161969
Near MSU hill I took a cucumber lemonade which was DE-LI-CIOUS.
>>
>>1158830
Basically try to avoid Russians and you should be OK.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.