[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Venice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: grand-canal-venice-italy.jpg (524KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
grand-canal-venice-italy.jpg
524KB, 1600x1200px
Going to Venice for a weekend soon, what are some interesting places to hit up?

I'm going with an older family member so it's got to be family friendly.
>>
File: 2015-05-17-14h20m-2.jpg (3MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
2015-05-17-14h20m-2.jpg
3MB, 2160x3840px
http://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/venice-i-vn-v.htm
The first few ones on this list I guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria_della_Salute
This was pretty spectacular too.

I was there in May and the more central areas were absolutely fucking packed and extremely touristy, pretty depressing to be honest. St Mark's square was also under half a foot of water some times during the day.

The only unconventional place I can recommend is the westernmost part of the city, which I think is a residential area. Very much an old italian feel and almost no people there at all.
>>
File: mask shop venice.jpg (91KB, 717x532px) Image search: [Google]
mask shop venice.jpg
91KB, 717x532px
>>1158682
>St Mark's square was also under half a foot of water some times during the day.

It IS Venice, you know. That's part of being there.

OP, there is (or was) a fairly high-tourist-factor "play" about Vneice just off St Marks Square, it is pretty cheesy but if you or somebody you are traveling with does not know much about the history of Venice, it would be worth seeing early in your stay -- I know fuck-all about the history, and knowing even a little of it made the time there much more enjoyable.
>>
>>1158682
>>1158688
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll look into them!
>>
I spent some time there. Ate at Brek almost every night. Its where the locals eat, buffet style made to order. Priced right. Also light lunches near the fish market at Pronto Pesce. Menu changes daily with the local catch. Enjoy!
>>
I'll be there today until Sunday, I heard there is a movie festival but can't look anything up right now

I also saw something about an architecture biennale

The guide through the secret passageways through the doge's palace is quite nice from what I've heard but you need to book it in advance apparently
>>
I live there AMA
A few things to start
>st Mark is nice and all but you should really go there early in the morning and leave as soon as possible because the streets get clogged with people
>go to the Madonna della Salute church with the public ferry gondola across the Grand Canal, you'll have done a 5 minutes gondola trip for 1€ instead of 30 minutes for 100€ on a private gondola
>don't feed the goddamn pigeons and seagulls for fuck's sake they are a plague
>get lunch in Campo Santa Margherita it's where all the uni students go so cheaper than most areas
>>
>>1159820
>don't feed the goddamn pigeons and seagulls for fuck's sake they are a plague
I feel like this should be true for every location and every time in the history of the planet.

And to the OP: I would suggest a visit to Murano and/or Burano if you have the time.
>>
>>1159820
How much would one need to live in Venice? How much would a small place cost?
>>
Just been there as a poorfag, you can do the city in less than three days. Its gorgeous, but seriously the amount of tourist made me not wanting to come back. Food is shit comparing to the rest of italy and almost all places and stores there are tourist oriented. If you want to get the italian feel I recomend Bolonia or Verona which are actually close from venice by train. Be careful of the fucking gipsy pickpockets
>>
File: Scruffy_2_9337.jpg (88KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Scruffy_2_9337.jpg
88KB, 720x540px
>>1159821
>I would suggest a visit to Murano and/or Burano if you have the time.

Second.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1159820
Thank you for the advice

Which historical musea would you recommend?
>>
>>1159866
Not op btw
>>
>>1159832
Houses aren't very expensive, what fucks you over are taxes. Water, electricity, gas are all expensive as hell. For this and other reasons (a big one being the overwhelming amount of tourists who pass by everyday) the old town is emptying fast. There are now 60k people living in Venice, less than half since my father's time. It's sad, there's a pharmacy with a display that shows the current residents, updated every day and looking at it really hits you hard.
>>1159866
The natural history museum
Academia art gallery
Peggy Guggenheim museum
Scuola Grande di San Rocco
The city itself is a museum just enter any church really
>>
>>1159891
>there's a pharmacy with a display that shows the current residents, updated every day and looking at it really hits you hard.

where is this?

Also what are good places to piss in Venice? I've been going in ally ways
>>
>>1159903
Just pee in the canals, they're dirtier than piss anyway. Beware of giant rats.

The pharmacy is in Campo San Bortolomio, next to the Rialto bridge
>>
>>1159891
>For this and other reasons (a big one being the overwhelming amount of tourists who pass by everyday) the old town is emptying fast.
You didn't say any specific figures though, so I have no idea what's considered expensive or not.

Can't you make a shitload of money on tourists though?
>>
>>1159915
Rent for apartments is 700-1k euro per month on average. Like 200 go on taxes on the owner on top of a 40% income tax. In all this people do make a lot of money from tourists, I do too and I live in the mainland area, I was raised in the old town but the house I grew up in is now rented to uni students. With that and the tourist home I own the money is good.
>>
>>1159966
>In all this people do make a lot of money from tourists, I do too and I live in the mainland area,
Then what's the problem? Why are people moving?
>>
>>1159967
The whole town is becoming a sort of theme park where everything is expensive and services are subpar, so people prefer getting a big house in the mainland and rent the Venice one to tourists at cutthroat rates, or are simply too poor to afford maintenance cost, or are old and don't like the noise. Hotel companies buy out buildings to expand their business. Russians buy apartments, and use them like twice a year.
Also the previous mayor is in jail for being in league with the mafia and left a 20 million hole in the balance which the state has no intention to fill, and the new one is a kind of mini Trump, a rich entrepreneur turned politician who talks a lot but does little, so faith in the administration is waning
>>
>>1159392
>>1159807
Thanks! I'll check these out.

>>1159820
Thanks, this is really helpful!

>>1159821
>>1159855
We were thinking of going to Murano for the glassworks. So it's definitely worth the trip?

>>1159848
Yeah, I'm mentally preparing for tourist hell. We're only there for a couple of days but we'll check out Bolonia/Verona and see how doable they are. Thanks for the tip!

>>1159970
I come here for tourist tips and end up learning about Venetian politics. Thank you, kind sir.
>>
http://www.labiennale.org/en/cinema/

Venice Film Festival
>>
>>1159970
Due giorni fa un gruppetto di giapponesi m'ha chiesto gli orari di Venezia. "Quando apre? Quando chiude?" Mannaggiammè.
>>
>>1160128
Lel
>>
I stayed at Sacca Frisola on the cheap. Guidecca is very peaceful, with decent restaurants. Romantic in the evenings.

The Hilton has a free shuttle service meant for guests, but we had no problems using it, no one asked any questions.
>>
>>1160128
Buongiorno, mi chiamo Christopher Poole. Vorrei un pezzo di pane, per favore
>>
>>1158640
>St.Marks square
>Doges Palace
>Murano
>Rialto(=Sucks) but hey, it's famous
With that order, then walk the shit out of it
>>
I was there in May and I loved it. One of my favorite cities in Europe.

Get to St. Mark's Square early in the morning (I was there at 7-8 AM on a Thursday and it was very comfy) or late at night (midnight and past). The Campanile is also very nice (albeit very touristy), as it gives you a great view over the city. Try to be there when it opens (9AM if I recall correctly), because soon afterwards the queue is just going to be the horror.

Other than that, just wander around and try to discover some cool places.

One of my personal favorites was San Michele (the cemetery island), as there were hardly any people there and it was very comfy.

Also make sure to check out the surrounding islands (Burano, Murano, Torcello)
>>
I'm also going to venice next week. Is there something in the near, probably without many tourists, to visit? I'm going to stay near Jesolo.
>>
>>1162155
The outer islands generally attract less tourists. Also it's September now, the crowds are manageable
>>
>>1162155
Watch when the cruise ships arrive and leave. Crowds swell enormously when a ship docks, dwindle significantly when it leaves.
>>
top tip, for the love of god take a piss before you get a boat to burano!

san zaccarria is the most beautiful place ive ever been , and its well worth the 1 euro or so to go through and look at the crypt. very spiritual experience, it felt like i was in a roleplay game or something.
theres a brilliant little bar next to it too.

get a boat over to lido, then walk straight across the island for like, 10 minutes, youll hit a beach and the ocean. the whole island is lovely and very different to the main bit of venice.

walk through the little parks, theres fish in the fountains. if its a biennale year, get the passes and go and have a look at the pavillions, theyre amazing, a really wonderful example of recent history.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.