[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Favorite Canadian city, and how often can you distinguish Canadian

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: image.png (18KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
18KB, 1280x640px
Favorite Canadian city, and how often can you distinguish Canadian and Americans by accent?

I like Vancouver
>>
>>1158590
Quebec City
Thinking of going back to live there at the moment.
>>
I heard Quebec City is sick
>>
>>1158590
Montreal
>>
File: Calgary_panorama-2.jpg (225KB, 1920x431px) Image search: [Google]
Calgary_panorama-2.jpg
225KB, 1920x431px
Per Canadians on another board, the best French-speaking city in Canada is Quebec City, while the best English-speaking city is Calgary.
>>
I've only been to Montreal but it was a really great experience if you speak a little French and it was also rather affordable.

And Canadians seem to pronounce their vowels like an American Midwesterner (e.g. aboot) but also with this weird West coast style "friendly" upward inflection
>>
>>1158590
>favorite
Probably Montreal, or maybe Halifax, as it's a part of a nicer noncity tour of the Maritimes. Vancouver is lovely of course, but it's too asian. I'd go up to Anchorage and see Alaska than do Vancouver again.
>how often can you distinguish Canadian and Americans by accent?

Canadians like to say "sorry" quite differently than their American counterparts over the border. Sore-eee. The "eh" can be sprinkled in conversations. And, some men (not all) can almost adopt a queeny swishy kind of giveaway to their voices, even if not gay. I always thought Rick Steves was a gay canadian, but turns out he's from Washington over the border. Who knows about the other part, LOL? As far as a midwesterner accent goes, it really depends if they're from that region of Canada really. There's a little Irish lilt in some places to the east in some families, even that new englander/boston/maine brogue can be had.
>>
>>1158735
What can you do in Calgary?
>>
>>1158764
See the Hart House.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1158590
Canadabro here.

Accent is pretty telling to say if you're east or west. Lost Canadians can tell the difference, since it's like someone from Alabama compared to someone from Washington state. Big difference(as far as I understand)

Favourite city is probably Vancouver. I haven't been in many other places, but out of Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver, I like Van. It's overall fun during the day and night.

It's also really pretty.

But that's just me
>>
>>1158764
It's a little bit on the dull corporate side here admittedly, there isn't a 24-hour city life like you'll find in a place like Montreal. The population is spread out quite wide too and it's a little more akin to American cities in that there isn't really much of a 'downtown' population - that said I live in the Beltline and a lot of other central neighbourhoods have been growing a lot lately.

A lot of the tourism here is centred around it being the launching spot for going further afield. Head west to Banff or Lake Louise in the Rockies, head east to Drumheller and one of the world's hotspots for dinosaur finds. Calgary proper has one of Canada's largest zoos, the science center (which is really lame for the prices they charge, don't go to it), the National Music Centre just opened up a few months ago and has a big museum space. Lots of different festivals and events over the summer, obviously the Stampede but my favourite is Sled Island which is a killer SXSW-style alternative music festival they put on in June.
>>
>>1158590
As a Canadian I've always liked Quebec City. I do in fact like Toronto, but only because I've lived here for a while and found a good place, I don't think it's good to visit, and I wouldn't say the city is my favorite.

Ottawa is also nice if you know what to do. There's a lot of nice nature areas relatively nearby in the Gatineau, and the city itself is nice. It is virtually devoid of nightlife and can get pretty boring though.
>>
American from northern Minnesota. I've been all over Canada and lived in Canadian cities from time to time. You can cast aspersions but I really like St. John NB. A lot of the grubbiness of American cities is gone and I miss it so St. John fits me like an old shoe.
>>
>>1158764
Was there last weekend. My Friends and I slept in a car downtown but we went to clubs, restaurants, the big ass zoo, and a music fest. Honestly if you are going to Calgary you might as well just go to Banff and check out lake Louise.
>>
File: 20160717_074641.jpg (198KB, 1440x801px) Image search: [Google]
20160717_074641.jpg
198KB, 1440x801px
vancouverfag here. I love this city but it has plenty of flaws. There's plenty of small towns in british columbia that are plenty interesting like tofino, Parksville, Nelson, squamish, Revelstoke, Fernie, Whistler, Salmon Arm and Osoyoos.

Out of all of the major city centers I'd have to say Montreal has interested me the most. It's diverse mix of everything and it seems like the best place to be for a young person. I prefer vancouver and the west coast in general because of the weather and the abundance of mountains.
>>
Was going to make a thread but I guess there's enough overlap to put it here. Going to Montreal next week, half for Pop Montreal and half just to sightsee and shit. Already have a good idea of attractions and more broad stuff but I'm interested in local input on:

A) good record shops
B) good spots to find french comics.
>>
>>1158764
calgary is good if you like outdoorsy shit because of the proximity to the national parks and rocky mountains. the actual city is boring as fuck.

go to toronto if you want a real city with art, culture, and cuisine.

t. canadian who has lived for long periods of time in both cities
>>
>>1160384
>A) good record shops
Mont-Royal St
>B) good spots to find french comics.
Mont-Royal St

Plus you can laugh at all the morons who get in a 45+ min line to get fucking breakfast at L'Avenue.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIH-J3uLN3E
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.