[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 336
Thread images: 28

File: IMG_3579.jpg (488KB, 5053x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3579.jpg
488KB, 5053x3456px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1156067
>>
I'll be going to Japan from April 24 - May 4, including travel time from the US. I have never been. Should I explore more than Tokyo or would this duration be best spent in just Tokyo?
>>
So, who here already did the Shimanami Kaido by bicycle? What did you think of it?

Looks like a great way to discover the Seto Inland. I might arrange a new travel in Japan around this particular experience.

Not sure if I should go in spring or in autumn though, but I'll worry about that later.

Any tips like good alternative routes, or best starting point? I might even do it in 3 days if a detour makes it even more worth it.
>>
Tokyo is a meme city
>>
>>1158559
Tokyo is OK, but probably the most overrated. Check out Osaka and Fukuoka. Tokyo is fine for a few days, but don't spend all your time there. Grab a Japan Rail Pass before heading over and traveling will be hella easy
>>
>>1158559
Tokyo is by far the most "westernized", so if you're hopping to dip your toes into more of the culture, spend only a few days in Tokyo and then check out some other places.
>>
>>1158567
If he's only staying 9 days there's only so much he can do unless you're willing to waste a day just riding around in trains.

>>1158559
Depends on what you want to see, what things you're interested in and what kind of traveler you are. Party, shopping, cultural sites, hiking, relaxing, etc. Are you planning on returning or is it a once in a lifetime trip.
Personally I'd recommend to visit the countryside and leave the city, but for the average tourist without speaking a single word of Japanese this might not be very fulfilling. If you're a weeb who'll sooner or later come back for longer than just stay in Tokyo and have fun there.
>>
>>1158567
Thanks, but >>1158581
makes a good point. I'll have to research more and see if it's worth spending a minimum of 2 days travelling plus the few hundred $ for a JR pass or just stay in Tokyo with maybe 2 day trips.

>>1158569
What are the best day trips from Tokyo?

>>1158581
I'm hoping to start a lifetime of traveling, but I think I'll be going to many other places before going back to Japan (unless I truly fall in love with it or something). I wouldn't consider myself a weeb, but when in Rome, I think I have to experience a little bit of anime/weeb stuff. I definitely don't want my trip to revolve around it though.
>>
A friend of mine is travelling from Tokyo to Osaka/Kyoto/Hiroshima and back and she wanted to get some mobile internet.

I've been to Nippon before but I never used them so I'm not quite familiar with how they work. Where can you get a data sim and which one would you recommend generally? Or would a pocket wifi be better?

Thanks lads
>>
Hey folks. I think some of this fits into 'general' travel advice, but it involves activities specific to Japan so I thought I may as well post here.

Myself and my partner are going to Japan from the end of November to the beginning of December. We're *extremely* poorly travelled (none of us have been outside the country) so I've built our trip around that and am continuing to build that through our itinerary. Our entire trip will be spent in one Shinjuku hotel with some daytrips throughout. This is what I've planned so far:

Day 1: Should be ready to rock and roll from 6pm or so. Plan to wander around Shinjuku, hit up some large stores such as Yodobashi Camera and stay late in Taito Station Arcade if we can deal with the exhaustion.
Day 2: Tokyo sightseeing and shopping/my birthday.
Day 3: More Tokyo sightseeing and shopping.
Day 4: Day trip to Hakone.
Day 5: Studio Ghibli Museum in the morning (managed to book tickets), spend from around 12pm to as late as transport allows us in Yokohama.
Day 6: Chill out in Tokyo from all the day trips.
Day 7: DISNEYLAND MOTHERFUCKERS.
Day 8: Final day of shopping/sightseeing in Tokyo, scramble for last minute gifts if we need to.

How does all of this sound in term of dealing with jet lag, finding our feet dealing with a language barrier etc.? I will be meticulously planning as much of each day as possible, I'd just like to hear feedback on how possible this sounds. Thank you!
>>
Reposting from last thread;

I'm gonna be in Tokyo for a week. Do you guys think charging an IC card is a better option than buying one-day tickets for the Metro and Toei lines?
>>
>>1158613
use IC
>>1158610
sounds fine, language isn't really a problem, you can just point and grunt
>>
Alright /trv/, i'm going to Japan with five friends in December. We'll be saying there for 16 days. We're all in the 20 to 21 age range. We have rented a house in Tokyo. Here's a list of stuff at least one of us has expressed interest in doing:

>Visiting Akihabara
>Visiting Ikebukuro
>Going to a maid café
>Going Hiking on a small mountain
>Visiting a rural town
>Visiting the Honnoji temple
>Visiting the Imperial Palace
>Going to see the Kinkaku-ji
>Going to Hiroshima in general
>Visiting the fish market
>Going to Mt Fuji
>Visiting an Onsen
>Visiting the Osaka Aquarium
>Going to Miyagi in Sendai because jojo
>Ghibli Museum
>Going to the Shinjuku Gyoen park
>Going Skiing
>Visiting the Ushiku Daibutsu
>Going to a local Starbucks and Mcdonalds just to see if and how different it is

As you may be able to tell we're still in the process of trimming our schedule. If you happen to have information and/or tips on any of these topics or a reason why we should or should not do any of them it would be very appreciated. Also, suggestions of any other places are also welcome, we're generally just interested in visiting tourist spots and historical sites.
>>
>>1158610
I personally would skip Disneyland. I've heard it's really busy and would rather do something that I couldn't do at home in Japan. Maybe put another day trip in there? I'd recommend Nikko. I'm tempted to say do Day 3 on Day 6 as that'll count as a rest day then spend day 3 doing a lot more.

I had 6 days in Tokyo and really regretted not seeing more even though I my schedule was tightly packed.
>>
File: image.jpg (89KB, 620x310px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89KB, 620x310px
Does anyone has any experiences in studying in Japan?
I am considering a semester in KOBE University. But it seems it takes 1 hour to uni, classes until 17.00 o' clock and again 1 hour home. Also SOME clubs to join, but I don't know if I can attend due to lack of language. What do you think?
>>
>>1158638
I'd do it if money isn't an issue.
>>
File: 1203151631a.jpg (193KB, 1753x986px) Image search: [Google]
1203151631a.jpg
193KB, 1753x986px
Not sure why people dislike capsule hotels so much. I'm 6'1 and have had no problems in them. I could lay down and sit up straight comfortably. I could see them being uncomfortable if you were over 6'3. But definitely worth it for the price.
>pic related is one I stayed at in Tokyo
It was 1500 yen a night.
The only other one I stayed in was in Osaka and that was 2100y/night. Pretty much the same thing.
They were comfortable and I didn't feel claustrophobic at all.
>>
>>1158567
I lived in Tokyo for 3 years and didn't do everything I wanted to do. Theres so much in the city. If you're doing some once in a lifetime trip to Japan of course you should see the other cities, but Tokyo is easily the best one in the country.
>>
>>1158658
>Tokyo is easily the best one in the country.
This. I have been here for years yet there's a surprise, something new to experience every other day. Though you need to have some appreciation for big cities but if that's given, Tokyo can keep you busy for ungodly amount of time.
>>
>>1158638
>Only an hour on the cleanest best trains in the world

Use the time to study if your studious
Use the time to drink with an open container if you're trying to have fun for a semester
>>
>>1158624
Tokyo Disneyland is not like its American counterpart. Its similar but different enough and definitely worth it if you can go with some Japanese friends
>>
>>1158652
Im reconsidering this because my studies will be delayed by 6 months. Since this is a long stay I wonder what could be worth the time except learning the language. also money MIGHT be a tiny issue. also health insurrance and quite frankly I am not sure about the radioactive amount on my plate. I don't mind a visit, but several months at a uni is not the same advantage and disadvantage of a country compared to travelling.
>>
>>1158700
Unless you plan to move to a different country this is the only time in your life you'll be able to spend a significant time abroad until you're 60 and retired without some world changing event like you winning the lottery or selling a multimillion dollar company. Six months isn't shit

Also all food from the contaminated areas is shunned. Laws were passed that all domestic goods have to label where they are from. About a year after the disaster when the government said it was "safe" you would occasionally see food from Fukushima in grocery stores but no one bought it, so now you never see it.
>>
I'm going on holiday to Japan in October.

I'll be going to Tokyo, Kyōto, Osaka, Koya-San, Hiroshima, Miyajima and then back up to Tokyo.

I'm a vegetarian.

How fucked am I?
>>
>>1158638
do you have any choice for living arrangements? thats sounds like a shitty setup having to take an hour train to class. and its kobe. its not even like its tokyo where you know you would have access to anything you want.
>>
>>1158610
sounds good. i'd just say be careful to not miss the last train out of yokohama. it'd be too pricey to get a cab back to shinjuku
>>
>>1158623
take 'go skiing' off the list.
unless its an absolute 'must do' it will take up a whole day and tire you out more than you might think.

>Visiting Akihabara
>Visiting Ikebukuro
>Going to a maid café
>Visiting the fish market
>Going to the Shinjuku Gyoen park
>Going to a local Starbucks and Mcdonalds just to see if and how different it is
all of this can be done in 1-2 days. get up early go to tsukiji, then go to all the other places. they have maid cafes in ikebukuro and akiba, so that knows that out.

>Going to Mt Fuji
>Going Hiking on a small mountain
>Visiting a rural town
>Visiting an Onsen
these can also be done in 1-2 days.
perhaps stop in hakone or shizuoka or kamakura on the way to osaka/kyoto
>>
>>1158707
wow, what original question! Surely you can't find the answer in the previous thread, I am just confident about that.
>>
>>1158638
Do they have a light music club?
>>
How absurd would it be to fly into Tokyo from America and spend 4 weeks in Japan with absolutely no knowledge of the language and no itinerary?
>>
>>1158730
Very.
>>
Is there much to do at night in Tokyo if you don't drink/club? Feels like everything shuts down fairly early. And by late I mean up until like midnight or so. Felt like things in Akihabara were shutting down at like 8.
>>
File: 1270755170834.png (6KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1270755170834.png
6KB, 400x400px
>>1158734
This. Is the "hard-working japanese people" just an urban legend? I swear we work more in my own country, and that's saying much.

Plus, every temple/museum/cool spot closes at 17:00 or something. And don't get me started on that fucking sun. It feels like this fuckers sets at like 18:00 even in June, you've got to be kidding me.

I might refrain from going there in autumn,I'm afraid it'll be pitch night at 16:00. Seriously.
>>
>>1158736
Japanese salary men don't work that hard, since promotions are still heavily based on eating the shit of your superiors, being a team player, and being old.

Most Japanese companies are comprised of people who don't do any work during the day and then complete their work during "overtime" because they are expected to be there late anyway.
>>
>>1158655
Which one was it? I've heard some capsule hotels are 4000 yen or more, this one looks good.
>>
I was searching around for info on the JR Pass and it's worthiness and read something about an equivalent unlimited rail pass but on the slower trains for significantly cheaper, anyone know what they were referring to?

Can't seem to dig it up again so maybe I just misread.

Just in the planning stages but at the least I want to go to Shizuoka to visit a tea farm which is about $60 each way.
>>
>>1158737
yep, japanese productivity is pretty low, they have 12 hour workdays but they mostly dick around ineffectively for the sake of office politics.
>>
>>1158741
JR pass is such an amazing deal that people who live in the country are not allowed to have it. Its only worth it if you take the shinkansen more than a couple hours twice in a week. Make your own schedule and decisions from that information
>>
>>1158707

I'm also a vegetarian (dairy and milk is ok for me) and currently here for four months. Let me tell you, it's really hard, You can basically forget to eat at any kind of Japanese restaurant except for rare and expensive Buddhist vegetarian restaurants at temples.

I lived in Singapore for two years and that was paradise for vegetarians, but Japan is quite possibly the worst country for vegetarians at all. I can deal with it, but I love eating and I was actually considering to really move here for a couple of years, but experienced it for a longer time has seriously made me reconsider it.
>>
>>1158700
You wouldn't be from Sydney would ya
>>
If I want to go from Osaka to Hiroshima, is there no way around taking a Shinkansen and paying more than 10000 Yen?
>>
>>1158773

That's what you get for being a vegetarian, faggot.
You and your holier-than-thou ways have no place in superior Japanese society.
>>
>>1158808

Good thing you know everything about me. I can easily survive despite it being hard sometimes in Japan and I never even once tried to convince someone. Even my girlfriend isn't vegetarian.
>>
>>1158740
https://www.agoda.com/hotel-new-tochigiya/hotel/tokyo-jp.html?_ga=1.133052622.1918008070.1466916265

My only complaint was it kinda smells like old people.
>>
Are there any single bed hotels in Tokyo in the sub-100 dollar range?
>>
>>1158825
Yes.
>>
>>1158825
No
>>
>>1158825
maybe
>>
>>1158825
>single bed hotels

If you're willing to stay in a 3-tatami mat room on a futon (with fridge and TV), look at the hostels in Kita-Senjuu area, as cheap as 3500 yen.
>>
>>1158805
Night bus

http://www.bushikaku.net/search/osaka_hiroshima/
>>
>>1158734
>Felt like things in Akihabara were shutting down at like 8.

Not really a party neighborhood, try going to Shibuya, Shunjuku, etc.
>>
>>1158599
I live here so no real recommendations, but there are several brands you can choose from

For example

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_19.html

Data SIM machines at most airports too.
>>
>>1158581
Traveling on the bullet train takes a few hours. It's also part of the experience. Having a bento while speeding down Japan's railway is something every tourist should experience

>>1158658
You lived there for 3 years and didn't see what you wanted to see? Sounds like you are a poor planner/spent more time at work than you should have. I would disagree that Tokyo is the best city, but to each their own. It's too crowded, there's a very cold air to people, and the tourist overload is just too much. Sure it has nice points, but it's the Japan everyone sees without realizing that isn't really Japan at all
>>
>>1158655
idk, I just feel like I can get the same in a hostel, but with a better atmosphere and easier ways of socializing. Plus you can actually leave stuff on your bed and it won't be thrown on the floor by grumpy cleaning staff
>>
Can you buy a shinkansen ticket with a (Japanese) credit card?

I've been here 3 years so I know as well as anyone that its a cash-oriented society. However I seem to recall being able to pay with my credit card at a machine once in the past.
>>
>>1158741
JR also has regional passes and a seasonal pass called Seishun 18.
>>
>>1158655
I dislike them because they are coated in jizz
>>
>>1158864
Yes.... you can pay at the ticket window
>>
Heading over again in November, just booked it today and I am fucking pumped

Staying in Nakano, cheap enough and close to Shinjuku and there looks to be plenty of good craft beer places in Koenji which is super close too.

I'm planning a day trip to Kamakura but there is anywhere else that is worth a day trip? I'm only going for a week and I've already been pretty much everywhere else in the country so I'm not buying a Rail Pass and don't really want to spend more than an hour travelling to a certain place unless its really awesome.

Solo travelling too.

>>1158854
My favourite is the Katsu bento, I've got it every time and I fucking love it, I'm kinda disappointed that I'm not getting any shinkansens so I can't enjoy one on the train.

Does anyone have any cheap but amazing restaurants that serve good (read: not the suntory, kirin, sapporo and asahi stuff) beer? You can get that stuff in any convenience store/anywhere but I really want to try Japanese Craft Beer and get to know the scene.

On a side note are sports bars the only kind of bars that aren't "a restaurant that focuses around beer"? I went to those HUB pubs last time and it was pretty much just a fucking restaurant.
>>
>>1158620
>use IC
What about this option?
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/travel/

Should I buy a three-day ticket from the airport, and then use an IC for the remaining time?
>>
>>1158902
I would just get an IC card straight away, there's a lot of places within Tokyo that aren't accessible by Metro

+Yamanote is a god given present for tourists so you should use it
>>
>>1158710
I choose for a closer appartment, but It's up to the Uni in the end. Also, as much as Id love to learn the language, the daily routine is far from my physical stamina. Probably not going to travel, and I will have to retake courses. I dunno.
>>
I'm thinking about trying to visit Japan some time next year.

What sort of prices am I looking at for a decent, cheap hostel in the major cities?
How difficult is it to travel rural areas without speaking any Japanese?
How expensive are the trains?

Any help appreciated
>>
>>1158913
Are you studying abroad through your school? If so, then the courses you take will transfer over, that's part of the exchange program that your school has with the one in Japan. Your academic adviser will help you select classes and let you know which one(s) will have transferable credit and for how many credits. Most likely you will still be able to graduate on time if you take a couple 17-18 hour semesters. And if not - so what? You are not the first person to take another 1/2 to full semester to graduate. Also, there should be scholarships/grants that you can apply for that can also help pay for study abroad. If you have grants/scholarships right now, they should still be effective for study abroad.

Like >>1158704 said, this is basically the only time you will be able to be abroad for this long unless you are retired or plan to travel while unemployed. I don't know a single person who has regretted studying abroad. On the flip side, I have a good number of friends that lament that they didn't take the opportunity while at school. You'll meet a lot of cool people, including local students. You get to live in Japan while hanging out with locals in your age group that are "in the know" - they know where the hidden gems are with regards to where to eat, where to go, and what to do.
>>
>>1158947
>What sort of prices am I looking at for a decent, cheap hostel in the major cities?
2000-3000 Yen/night. Could be cheaper in rural areas (cheapest I stayed in was something like 1000 Yen/night on Okinawa)
>How difficult is it to travel rural areas without speaking any Japanese?
eh, can be difficult. Train stops are going to be written in Japanese and English but buses can get tricky. But there's plenty of at least semi rural areas that can be done with enough planing beforehand
>How expensive are the trains?
1 week rail pass is something like 250€, otherwise you can check hyperdia for exact prices depending on places you want to visit
>>
Any ryokan and/or onsen recommendations for someone visiting Hakone? Price isn't an issue.
>>
I'm considering flying to Osaka for the last two weeks of December or so, but I'm still on the fence for personal reasons. What's the latest I should book my flight by, and would it be cheaper to fly to KIX directly or NRT and take a night bus or something?
>>
Just found an app on Google Play which can read all historical information from your SUICA. Usefulness is questionable but it's still fun. Name is, surprise, Suica reader.
>>
>>1158721
I read somewhere that tsukiji was moving or something in November of this year. Anyone else heard of that?
>>
>>1158736
Their claim to fame is "The Land of The Rising Sun," but you've gotta have balance in everything, so they have to set their sun a little earlier. Such is le vie.
>>
>>1159031
This wouldn't be such a problem if businesses didn't open until like 10/11 too.
>>
>>1159030
They've pushed it back. New moving date is TBD, perhaps even until after the Tokyo Olympics.
>>
>>1158949
This desu. I delayed my law degree by half a year to go to a spiffy uni in Tokyo and haven't regretted it in the least. I met wonderful like minded people who I can't wait to see again someday.
>>
>>1158655
>I don't see why people dislike cramped spaces
>Is barely above average western height and well within the demographic for these things
It's a good concept though and I would definitely use it if they had some that accomodated people of my size (6'9)
>>
>>1158888
Hakone is worth it, especially if you get a day pass on Odakyu. Easy access from Shinjuku to boot.
http://www.odakyu.jp/english/deels/freepass/hakone/
>>
>>1158707
Consider upgrading to pescatarian. Most fish are basically moving vegetables anyway
>>
>>1158982
I can recommend the Fujiya Hotel in Miyanoshita. It's pretty much an asian take on the continental european hotel circa ~1900s, complete with bellhops who wear the funky little hats.
Otherwise, just shop around for a place that has a good hot spring bath (pretty much all the hotels in the area get the sulphur rich hot spring water from the Owakudani source)
>>
>>1159031
the sun rises at like 4:30. aint no salary men getting up that early. if anything they might be stumbling onto the first train home
>>
>>1159004
if you are coming from america or europe im pretty sure there are more direct flights to narita.
if you are not taking a nonstop flight, then it should be fine to go to KIX
>>
>>1159047
Cool, I might check it out, with only 7 days in Tokyo I'm not sure if I want to do two day trips, Koenji looks to have a couple great beer places so I'm super excited to go. I'm just now deciding if it's worth paying 4k yen for that return NEX ticket since I could just get it to Shinjuku and jump on the chuo line to nakano
>>
>>1159092
There's a lot of variety in the trip, I'd look into it.
>>
Is it possible to do Fuji Q Highlands and see Aokigahara forest in a day trip from Tokyo?
>>
Any of you in or close to shimokitazawa?
>>
where do you go to get business cards made?

i have a specific design that i need to have made, not some generic format some stores might offer
>>
How horrific is Tokyo during the last few days of Golden Week?
>>
>>1159163
Both on the same day? No, both on separate days are typical day trips from Tokyo.
>>
Flying to Japan this Saturday but I have some major scheduling issues. How long does it take to clear Narita airport terminal 3 (with baggage)? My flight is scheduled to arrive at 8.55pm, is there any chance I can get on the Narita Express 9:45pm train to Shinjuku? If not then what is the next best way to get to Shinjuku?
>>
Would it be worth to go to Japan over christmas and NYE? I have got 14 days including flights (from Germany), is that enough/too much?

I suppose the weather will be quite similar to Germany, but I have no idea if and how christmas/NYE is celebrated, if shops are closed etc
>>
>>1159235
First do your research, then come back here.
/trv/ is a slow board, and you'll be able to find the information you need and more in half the time it takes for someone to reply. There's also something fishy about planning on going to a country that you have not even the slightest idea of how works.
>>
>>1159232
Prob not, mate. Immigration can take a grip of time and you'll have to navigate your way to the station entrance as well after grabbing your bags. Is 9:45 really the last train? I know they run "limousine buses" that stop in Shinjuku so that's also an option.

Worst case scenario, you pony up the cash for a cab, but you should be fine.
>>
>>1159237
im looking for opinions on whether its worth to go or not in my specific timeframe. why not reply to that and ignore the second sentence?
>>
>>1159242
Man the cab from Narita to Shinjuku costs 22500 yen, is this normal? Are taxi's in Japan crazy expensive or something?
>>
>>1159265
Why the fuck would you take a cab for that distance? You had options like NEX or Skyliner for fraction of the price.

And yes, taxi is expensive.
>>
>>1159267
The guy who replied to me talked about ponying up for a cab, that's why I remarked about how expensive cabs from the airport were. My flight arrives at 8.55 and the last NEX train leaves at 9.45. Skyliner leaves later but it means I have to change at Nippori.

Now you won't know this but imagine I have 10 people (all carrying luggage) with me, is taking the JR yamanote line from Nippori to Shinjuku at 11pm ish a good idea? Not being sarcastic, I genuinely want to know. The alternative is taking the airport limobus.
>>
>>1159215
a bit worse in tourist places than usual. Apart from accommodation as well
>>
>>1159235
I personally wouldn't because I hate cold weather and Japanese homes very often don't have heating so it gets cold even inside.

If you go alone and you're single you might get suicidal seeing all the couples on Christmas. On NYE, things are semi-dead AFAIK, many Japanese go home to the Inaka to celebrate with their family
>>
>>1159280
okay thats kind of what I figured, I guess im spending the winter somewhere else.

What month would you suggest? April?
>>
>>1159302
I'm a sucker for heat and I love the festivals so I usually try to go in July/August.

April is fine though, you might even see some late Sakura depending on where you're staying
>>
>>1159280
Total bullshit, Christmas time is very festive in Japan, everything's decorated on a level surpassed only by I dunno, Rothenburg, and being suicidal over seeing couples? Look, is this r9k? Anon, go in December, I am travelling solo during these dates, btw (although I am not a Catholic, so part of feeling sad in Christmas bandwagon evades me by default)
>>
>>1159325
>Total bullshit, Christmas time is very festive in Japan, everything's decorated on a level surpassed only by I dunno, Rothenburg
I never claimed otherwise
>and being suicidal over seeing couples? Look, is this r9k? Anon, go in December, I am travelling solo during these dates, btw (although I am not a Catholic, so part of feeling sad in Christmas bandwagon evades me by default)
maybe suicidal is a strong word, but one can get a certain feeling of loneliness if you're at the wrong place. I also always celebrate Christmas with family each year and it's kind of a big deal so I might be a bit biased on that
>>
>>1159325
>everything's decorated on a level surpassed only by, I dunno...

...by Medellin, Colombia!
>>
File: medellin.jpg (81KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
medellin.jpg
81KB, 600x450px
>>1159367
>>
File: medellin lights search.jpg (169KB, 983x566px) Image search: [Google]
medellin lights search.jpg
169KB, 983x566px
>>1159368
>>
I have the chance to go to Koyasan on a Friday or a Saturday. Will there be significantly more people on Friday or doesn't it matter?
>>
>>1159325
If by everything being decorated you mean just Disneyland and Roppongi Hills. Pretty much every American city has much more going on throughout the city during Christmas. Its a pretty slow day since most people are working and its definitely a lot closer to the Valentines Day vibe than the Xmas vibe.

Personally if you're traveling I think its a pretty shitty time to go since Xmas doesn't have much going on and everyone is preparing to go out of town and hang out with their families for New Years
>>
>>1158958
Thanks. That sounds pretty reasonable, thought it would be more expensive.
>>
>>1159265
are you trolling
narita is over an hour a way
>>
>>1159242
its never taken me more than 10 minutes to get through immigration what are you on about
the Japanese are far more efficient than western airports
>>
>>1159412
Its 100% dependent on when your plane lands and Narita's schedule for the day. They're much better than they used to be but even just 5 years ago it was pretty common for like 10 planes to all land within a couple hours of each other and the immigration process to take well over an hour, mostly just waiting in line. Seems like they've fixed the scheduling some but it happens every now and then if you're unlucky
>>
>>1159412
I've had to wait an hour at immigration before. Both our experiences mean he has no sure way of knowing how long it will take to get through. Get your weeb shit out of here before you go on like you know what you're talking about
>>
>>1159438
The only time I've ever had a long wait in immigration was coming into KIX terminal 2 where they had just one person processing two planeloads of peoples documents.

All other times it's been quick as heck for me.
>>
File: 1461251387867.png (63KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1461251387867.png
63KB, 300x300px
>>1158655

I stayed at a hostel with capsules this last New Years. It was as absolutely clean as you would expect from Japan, but the third day after I arrived I began having trouble breathing. I honestly believed I had caught pneumonia or some shit for falling to the meme of going to the fish market at 4am during winter to get in line for sushi. My breathing problems were at its peak during the morning (even having trouble showering), but they eased up during the day, but next morning I was as worse as ever.

After like a week or so of worrying whether I was going to die and my family was going to have to pay for the transport of my corpse back (since every hospital was closed during this period), I somehow wondered if the trouble wasn't due to were I was sleeping. I slapped the futon or whatever it was and it released a cloud of fabric or dust or whatever, and I realized sleeping in that cramped space with all that shit in the air was causing my troubles. I immediately check out a room in a business hotel (that was thankfully right next to akihabara station), and decided to check out 4 days earlier from the hostel. That day I was too tired to change my stuff so I slept in the capsule again, but this time with my head outside of the curtain and my legs towards the inside. Thankfully no one killed me in my sleep and the next day I woke up much better.

I felt mad at first with myself for being so retarded and taking so long to figure out the issue, and wasting so much time worrying whether I was going to die and not enjoying to the fullest, but at the end I was relieved I could enjoy the rest of my time in Japan (and I'm glad I had scheduled Kyoto and Fushimi Inari near the end of my trip, or I would have probably died trying to climb it).

So yeah, just a small warning to anyone who ever has to sleep in a capsule or similar arrangement: don't be as retarded as me and if you have any history with breathing issues book somewhere else or sleep well ventilated.
>>
>>1158707
Not fucked at all really. You just need to do a little homework before you leave.

Hub of resources:
http://circleourearth.com/vegan-travel/vegan-country-guides/japan/

Convenience store food:
http://okiveg.com/konbini/okinawa-vegan-konbini/

And use happycow.net if you aren't already.
>>
>>1159412
>>1159421
>>1159438
>>1159443
Anyone been through Terminal 3 before? Any experiences with the wait time there?
>>
>>1159411
Not trolling, a private limo from Toronto airport to downtown (40 minute ride) only costs 60 canadian bucks. The cab ride in Japan literally costs 5 times that.
>>
>>1159443
I'll be going through international in November, I've been through once from a domestic flight and it was fine.

The walk to the train station takes fucking forever through, its like a full kilometer and you can't run or else you'd look like an autist. There are legitimately pitstops with vending machines and seats on the walking path between T3 and T2

I'd say its going to be pretty shit for food coming back since its the LCC terminal, I saw a Lawson Conbini there though.
>>
>>1159469
The problem is that Narita is in bumfuck nowhere, notice how the airport name is Narita not Tokyo? Its not Tokyo's fucking airport, go to Haneda if you want a short commute.

The N'EX is cheaper and quicker than a taxi and its a nice shinkansen, probably more comfortable than a taxi desu
>>
>>1159271
>is taking the JR yamanote line from Nippori to Shinjuku at 11pm ish a good idea?
11 pm is well past the rush hour. Even in the rush hour I would take the train over paying 20 thousand for taxi. You can always buy a first class train ticket to avoid the crowd.
>>
>Be me
>21, Polish/British
>Meet some older Polish couple in Kyoto
>They came for a month
>mfw they don't have JRPasses because 'it was expensive'
>mfw they already spent like over 20000JPY just to get from Tokyo to Kyoto
>mfw i have no face

How can people go on such trip so badly unprepared?
>>
>3pm
>Tokyo
>Can't find anime figure I want to buy
>Google, Mandarake in Osaka has it
>Take first Shinkansen to Osaka
>Return in the evening

God bless JRPass
>>
>>1159516
>feels

i miss japan so much right now
>>
>>1159492
Take the Limousine bus.
>>
File: IMG_23357.jpg (192KB, 971x804px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_23357.jpg
192KB, 971x804px
quick /trv/
can i visit japan as a tourist more than once a year? would it be suspicious to go there twice within a 6 month timespan (went there in june and i want to go there again next month)?
>>
>>1159516
based nozomi/hikari
>>
>>1159578
Can't use Nozomi with JR pass.
>>
>>1159579
Hikari is just as good senpai
>>
>>1159577
If that's the kind of opinion you have of the Japanese, you probably shouldn't go.
>>
Anyone got a recommendation for a physical map of Shikoku? I don't want to rely on my phone. A map that shows hiking trails around Mt. Ishizuchi and east of it would be the best
>>
>>1159580
Nah it isn't. They got rid of almost all of them, leaving only 1 or 2 per hour.
>>
>>1159516
> tfw last train to shin Osaka, about to open beef bento
> that first bite
>>
File: AXtXDHMPP2jKmkohs7tZC3ba_WNy.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
AXtXDHMPP2jKmkohs7tZC3ba_WNy.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>
>>1159610
That's a cool red Eiffel tower.

Why is everything red in nipland, by the way?
>>
On average, how much would it cost for a 3 week vacation in Kyoto? Would it be cheaper to lodge in one of those capsule hotels or hostel somewhere? I would like to take a train to visit some tourist spots
>>
>>1159617
>3 weeks in Kyoto
Too long. 4 days will be more than enough.
>>
>>1159619
Is it just that there is nothing else to do there for a foreigner?
>>
>>1159620
Pretty much. I stayed there 5 days and on last day I was struggling to find something interesting to see.
Don't get me wrong. Kyoto is a must-see in Japan, but definitely not a 3-weeks stop.
>>
>>1159622
Thanks for the heads up. I guess ill spend 3 weeks somewhere else then but Ill still hit up Kyoto if I can
>>
>>1159623
do Tokyo, enough things to do there for more than 3 weeks even
>>
>tfw the masseuse gave me hug when i left
>>
>>1159612
Red is a fortuitous color in many Asian cultures.
>>
Anyone have a recommendation for a Ryokan in Hakone?
>>
>>1159232
NEX station is at Terminal 2, which is about a 15 minute walk from Terminal 3.
You're probably best off getting the limousine bus
>>
>>1159467
Flew in via Jetstar (Australian budget airline) last year. Getting in through customs is fine, but clearing security for the return flight was an absolute nightmare at the time as they only had two scanners operating. This may have changed since...
>>
>>1159633

>tfw random schoolgirl wrapped herself around my arm and fell asleep on my shoulder
>>
Anyone know a good place to buy slippers? I bough a pair on a Daiso hyaku-en shop but they are too small and kind of poorly made.

I need something bigger than 28cm, I don't want cheap stuff, but also nothing too fancy. Will I find them in any shoe store in Tokyo?
>>
>>1159810
To use indoors, by the way, and not the weird wooden ones.
>>
File: kurashiki.jpg (405KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
kurashiki.jpg
405KB, 2048x1365px
>>1159684
I stayed at Fukuzumiro, which is in Hakone Yumoto. It was showing its age in places but I really liked the location and in general enjoyed my stay there. If you want to stay at a really nice ryokan, I recommend Ryokan Kurashiki in Okayama. Kurashiki is quite beauitful and the ryokan was exceptional.

>>1159810
Dunno about Japan but in Taiwan they generally don't sell house slippers in shoe stores. Grocery stores sometimes have slippers; you'd find them around the same place you get rubber gloves for washing dishes. Otherwise department stores will most certainly have them.
>>
I'm going WWOOF'ing in Japan for a year or longer. Anyone got any tips they're willing to share? Never been to the country before.
>>
>>1159810
Any department store should have them. You could try Uniqlo and stores of the like.
>>
Im going to japan with a friend on early october and want to know if there are places or people, perhaps shops that i should avoid
>>
>>1159586
I thought the bentos were a really cool experience, but they were pretty overpriced I'd say.

>>1159834
Learn at least conversational japanese

>>1159799
Fuck breh you are a lucky man
>>
>>1159853
yes
>>
Saving up to go to Tokyo next year.
>>
>>1159859
I think it depends on where you buy... I read that the bentos from the konbini(?) are quite affordable.
>>
>>1159879
they are. I'd say a good stacked one with Tonkatsu and fried shrimp, alongside with rice and veggies runs to around 500-700 Yen

I've had some of the best ones on Okniawa I bought from a mom and pop store for 300 Yen or so and they were huge
>>
So me and a couple family members have a "free day" next Saturday for our 7 day trip to Tokyo. We are deciding between Disney Sea or something else. Is there an absolute "must do" thing in Tokyo? What would people recommend we do for a free day? Keep in mind we are already visiting Akihabara, Sky tree and Tsukiji.
>>
>>1159860
like?
>>
>>1159898
Tokyo Teleport station has Joypolis (check out recent Youtube videos), Palette Town and other various things near by. I had a fun chilled out day there after drinking for 4 days straight.

I'm thinking of checking out the Yokohama area for a day when I'm back in a few months. Apparently it's like a city all of it's own. Hopefully someone else will chime in with things do/places to see there?

Disney Sea looks like it might be cool, fun for non-kids, but I'm not sure it's my kind of thing.
>>
>>1159898
Asakusa? Shibuya? Ueno? Ikebukuro? What else are you doing aside from Akiba, Skytree, Tsukiji, and possibly DisneySea? You can also daytrip somewhere like Nikko, Hakone, or Yokohama.
>>
>>1159853
Despite what media written or sponsored by people from a certain country will tell you, Japan is one of the safest countries in the world. As a face culture, the brunt of the blame will hit the Japanese if something happens involving you - you're the guest, and it's almost unthinkable to mug or assault tourists both because of that and because of general social norms, a competent police force with a good infrastructure and widespread surveillance. On top of that, the gun control in Japan actually works, and violent crime is generally very rare compared to most other countries, very likely including the one you come from.
You will not be mugged, robbed or otherwise victimized in the way that you're fearing - countries are different, and there's next to no such open, brazen crime in Japan. There are places that you should watch out for, yes, but those are going to be so obvious that you'll have no need for people to point them out.
Drink in places with a lot of guests, never pay an entry fee unless you can see a party going on, try to avoid cabaret clubs in general (as much for your ego's sake as your wallet's, as there are next to no English-speaking girls there) and avoid the places that are obviously silly fucking bad news (Airin-ku, Sanya, everywhere that, you know, looks like shit) late at night.
You'll hear a lot of hysterical American tourists talk about how the country is "racist", but this is a cultural misunderstanding not helped by the fact that the WWII stereotype of the Japanese as the "inscrutable Asian" still exists and that there are a fuckload of Korean expats in California and thus in American media. Some Japanese stores might ask you to leave, whether in person or with a sign - but that's because they don't speak English and don't want to embarrass themselves as a representative of their country, or because they've had bad experiences with foreign tourists before and want to cut their losses.
>>
>>1159863
I'm so interested in the rent that Starbucks pays. And it's not even a small one, plus 2 stories... I'm pretty sure it's well over 10M yen a month.
>>
Does it make sense to just stay in Osaka and take a train to visit Kyoto for a day? I'm going to be in Japan for 2-3 weeks and I want to spend at least 5 days in the Kansai region.

Also is Kansai-ben difficult to understand? Should I just speak English if my Japanese is limited?
>>
>>1159959
It's a 30min/560yen train ride, according to HyperDia.
>>
>>1159959
>Does it make sense to just stay in Osaka and take a train to visit Kyoto for a day?

yes, though I would switch the two around

>Also is Kansai-ben difficult to understand?

kind of, but Kansai people speak the 標準語 alright
>>
Any good places to get a cheap massage in Tokyo? Not looking for any sexy time places. Just somewhere to heal my tired legs and shoulders.
>>
>>1159959
>>1159962
I would stay in Osaka and do Kyoto as a daytrip or two. Osaka is where you want to be for the evening and night, rather than Kyoto.
>>
>>1159962
Yea don't listen to him. Kyoto can be seen in a day if you rush it. Osaka is a real city with a great night life.
>>
>>1159975
They'll try to convert you in to a HJ but the korean hoes in Roppongi at night will give you a great massage if you make them stop at that
>>
>>1159985
Personally, I probably won't even be visiting Osaka for my trip. There looked to be a lot more hiking and cool historical places to visit in Kyoto than Osaka. It all comes down to what your interests are.
>>
>>1159879
>>1159880
Oh yeah those are definitely better, but if you get the traditional ones in the station before the shinkansen those were around 1000 yen and not super filling. Pretty decent tasting though
>>
>>1159961
Thank you. I have the app installed!

>>1159962
>>1159983
>>1159985
>>1159988
I'll probably be going to Kyoto two of the days I'm at an airbnb in Osaka, I just don't see the point of booking a one or two night stay in Kyoto when it's so close by train. I'm not sure what else there is to do in Kyoto besides the historical stuff, whereas Osaka has a ton of restaurants and bars I want to visit. It does all come down to your interests.
>>
Was anyone near a bar in the middle of Asakusa see a fight between an Irish man and an American last night?
>>
File: 1472641434792.jpg (174KB, 800x1323px) Image search: [Google]
1472641434792.jpg
174KB, 800x1323px
My girlfriend lives in Oume. I've been to Japan 3 times, she's visited me a twice. We talk regularly. She wants me to move to Japan. How do I go about moving there without getting kicked out? I have a remote job.
>>
>>1160069
Easiest solution? Marry her.
>>
>>1160069
does your company have offices there? intra-office transfer
>>
>>1159799

So believable :^)
>>
>>1160072
But I've only known her a year...Isn't that a bit fast? That being said I've already met her grand parents and parents and they seem to like me.
>>
>>1160080

I'm sure it's what she wants to, so she can quit her job and have children. It's the Japanese dream.
>>
Guys, what's the best onsen place I can reach using jr pass? I'll be in Japan in December. Also, are all ryokans so expensive? Like 15-20 k yen per person.
>>
>>1159799
>tfw random schoolgirl tripped on my dick when i just finished peeing and her panties were off
>>
>>1159799
When I was in Japan it was a random schoolboy (probably high school aged) who fell asleep on my shoulder on local train outside of Sendai. I'm not particularly into boys or men.
>>
>>1160118
I liked Kurokawa Onsen, might need to take a bus from Kumamoto or Aso there I think though

Also yeah, that's the usual price range, you can find cheaper deals though I'm sure
>>
File: 14305735410490.jpg (123KB, 620x740px) Image search: [Google]
14305735410490.jpg
123KB, 620x740px
>>1160135
Thanks, booked the room there. Not as expensive as I thought and the place looks rad.
Now, anon, please be aware that soon there will a lonely russian Ivan with broken n3 nihongo, trying to fit into 3.5. tatami room, all thanks to your answer.
>>
>>1159042
> 6'9
Holy fuck, you must get claustrophobic when you get in a car or a train, even more in Asian countries. I feel bad for you.
>>
>>1159582
Answer the damn question instead of throwing vague insults at him, you guys are worse than Reddit.
>>
I want to travel to Japan for two weeks come early June, how far in advanced should I buy tickets and what days have the. eat deals on international flights? I've never flown outside of North America before.
>>
>>1160156
>"you guys"
Maybe if you like Reddit so much better, you should go back there.
>>
>>1160169
>>
>>1160169
Google Flights. Set a couple leave/return days depending on how flexible those weeks are, then track. I've seen fares as low as 2.9k for business class, and around $600 for coach. Protip: it may be cheaper depending on where you are flying from to book a flight from a major hub, and separately book domestic flights to/from that hub.
>>
>>1160150
have fun! Inside the city, you can get a pass for 1500 Yen, with which you can visit 5 different Onsen. Additional one is something like 500 Yen. I would recommend the One a bit further outside, nested right next to a gushing river and the cave onsen.

Also try to do the Onsen tour relatively early (before noon at least), before the city gets overrun with Chinese and Korean tourists. Though I did have a fun contest inside an Onsen with Korean businessmen
>>
Probably a stupid question, but is staying at a ryokan like staying at a like a resort where you spend your time at the ryokan or close by?
I asking because I'm thinking of staying at one for 2 days in Hakone, but I want to check the place out as well and I'm not sure if I will have time for that since I'm only there for 2 days.
>>
>>1158655
I wasn't too much of a fan - I'm a light sleeper and would often get woken up by snoring/smartphone alarms. Still glad I did it though, was convenient being able to sleep right at the airport.
>>
The working holiday visa reccomends i take 2.5k GBP, which works out at 340k JPY.
How long at a ball park estimate does this give me to find a job, providing i live on the cheapest food i can find in the cheapest area that will take me?

From what i hear most apartment owners aren't a fan of foreigners, and i don't know if a hostel will let me long stay for up to a year
>>
>>1160282
Some hostels let you stay for free if you do work for them (cleaning etc.), that could be something to consider to save money in the interim.
>>
>>1160298
I did not think of that, thanks for the heads up.
This will be my first time traveling and working at the same time, so i want to make sure i know what i can survive on.
>>
>>1160256
A ryokan is an experience, but you're not really expected to do much there during the day. SO enjoy Hakone for the day, and get back around 5 to fully enjoy the bath and kaiseki dining
>>
>>1158549
What's the best area to stay at in Tokyo? Also what's the best area to get a hostel in Osaka?
>>
I read through a bit of this thread and I don't think this was asked, but does anyone know of a nice rural area outside of Tokyo that I can stay for around 2-3 days? I'll be heading for Tokyo at the end of this month and I figure I'll need a break from the city life.
>>
>>1160340
Gotta be more specific for "best."

Shinjuku and Shibuya are major hubs so people might consider that a positive.

Osaka has Namba which is also where the action is. Near Dotonbori which has famous sights/good eats/
>>
Has anyone ever used a Tenga egg? What is it like?
>>
>>1160349
Artificial salty coins
>>
What are some nice places to eat in Gion?
>>
Are there any possibilites for Zen meditation in Kyoto on a regular basis? I have some experience in meditation, but my Japanese is pretty bad. I'd like to take maybe 2-4 classes a week or even stay somewhere for a week or so.
>>
>>1160345
Saitama
>>
What's the cheapest way to go from Tokyo to Kyushu and Hokkaido? Night buses? AIrplane? Shinkansen is expensive as fuck...
>>
>>1160436
Using the JR pass makes it cheap as fuck
>>
>>1160436
Tokyo-Fukuoka is something like 2000-3000 Yen with Peach, Sapporo too I think
>>
>>1160445
Well, i made a serach on their website it says 10,000 yen...

>>1160437
JR Pass is just for temporary visitors, I guess. I'll stay here for more than 90days
>>
>>1160456
Actually, I changed the dates and I'm finding some 4,500 yen flights now.
>>
>>1160437
>29000 for the cheapest pass
>cheap as fuck
It's not cheap compared to any other country.
Flying costs like 10 times cheaper.
>>
>>1160475
Anta baka? In two weeks I spent i Japan I saved like 4 times the cost at least
>>
>>1160372
This. I lived there and it's amazing. Really calm and lovely place, although I wouldn't call it rural but it's not a big building area. It's less than a metropolis, but more than farm place.
>>
> I'll need a break from the city life.
City life is the best, anon. Actually, I'm more calm on my concrete jungle than out in the nature.
>>
File: dsc01775_lzn_resized.jpg (2MB, 2048x1279px) Image search: [Google]
dsc01775_lzn_resized.jpg
2MB, 2048x1279px
Planning on heading to Tokyo in February, but heading there alone, my Japanese is extremely basic.

Anyone else visit Tokyo with basic/no Japanese knowledge alone and have a good time? Wondering if I should just drop the money to go on a tour instead of going solo...
>>
>>1160476
He asked how to get from Tokyo to Hokkaido or Kyushu, not how to travel two weeks.
>In two weeks I spent i Japan I saved like 4 times the cost at least
I call bullshit. Two week pass = 46 000 yen. 4 times this = 184 000 yen. Shinkansen fare from Sapporo to Kagoshima = 52 000. So even if you travel from the far north to the far south of Japan in two weeks (which is a rushed itenerary), the pass will only save you 20-30%, not four times. And that's compared to Shinkansen, if you use slow trains, buses or planes apropriately, you will beat the cost of the pass in most cases.
>>
File: japan-face-940x625.jpg (173KB, 940x625px) Image search: [Google]
japan-face-940x625.jpg
173KB, 940x625px
Is it worth it to live in Japan?

I plan to graduate and then try to use JET to go to Japan. I´m worried about the life there after the program ends though. People often tell me life there sucks since people only find jobs at factories, taking bones out of pigs and cows and that kind of stuff. Is that true or is it easier than that to find a decent job?0

I don´t care about earning much as long as I don´t work as a slave and don´t have a hard time. I also have a spouse that´s probably going to take a spouse visa after I´m living to come live with me. Is there any good jobs in Japan for a biologist (or two since my wife is also one)?

Also, do you keep living in the house JET provides to you after the program?
>>
>>1160590
Depends on what you're looking for, friend. I went for the first time earlier this year, heading back early February. I only knew basic phrases, and it was all good. I don't think paying for tours is necessary, hit a couple of gaijin bars while doing your thing and you'll be fine.
If there are any specifics you want to know, I'll try to help you out. Where are you from? Have you travelled abroad alone before? How long are you going for?
>>
>>1160590
>image
That's one thing I don't get about Japanese. What's the point of having the takotako in katakana then hiragana?
>>
>>1160606
>People often tell me life there sucks since people only find jobs at factories, taking bones out of pigs and cows
What the fuck. No, that's not true at all.
>>
>>1160611
Honestly just looking to explore, meet some new people and make some friends, I've never traveled alone before, never been out of the country but I've wanted to go to Japan since I was really little. Currently 24 and from California.

I want to hit up some local music venues/shows as well as go record hunting.
>>
>>1160590
I went to Japan for 2 months only knowing travel phrases ("Where is X?" and "how much?") and I had a great time. Tokyo especially has a lot of foreigners ergo just knowing English is pretty much all you need. I don't think joining a tour is necessary unless you're one of those people who is incapable of doing anything by yourself.

>>1160612
I don't get it either, fampai. Initially I thought it was an octopus taco stand but the menu indicates otherwise.
>>
>>1160620
Japan was my first time ever leaving Europe (I'm in the UK, have seen most of Europe). Tokyo was my dream, and I did it. You should too. We're around the same age.

I sadly struggled with finding live music (I'm a musician myself and was hoping to find it) but found a ton of cool rock bars and met some really cool locals. Also met some cool Americans in Golden Gai, which was pretty much just tourists drinking overall. Apparently Shimokitazawa has a bunch of cool venues, gonna check that out when I'm back in Feb.

How long are you planning on going for?
>>
>>1160619
Really? That´s good to read. I know a japanese family and they also tell me this. I think that´s because they don´t have any aducation at all and, because of that, would end up working as slaves anywhere. They say food and entertainment is expensive, but electronics and products are cheap. Is that true? And what do you think about my "plan"? I´m really trying to get some advice here.
>>
>>1160591
Dawg, you don't have to use the JR pass right away. I am going for 2 weeks, and only bought a 7 day pass.

The first 5 days, I'll just take local trains and walk. Then use the JR pass to take trips on the way to Hiroshima, then fly to Hokkaido.
>>
>>1160629
Food is not expensive at all. Entertainment depends. Alcohol is relatively expensive.
But the most expensive of them all is having a child.

Really, look at average wages in Japan (or specifically Tokyo, if you want to live there). You will see that they are not that high yet they can get by. If you want to find a job though, a decent level of Japanese is a big help.

Sorry but I have absolutely no idea about opportunities for biologists nor spouse visa.
>>
>>1160627
Probably going for about 2 weeks, but if I end up quitting my job I'll be there for a month or so. That sounds like a good time!

Any other recommended spots?
>>
>>1160632
For what I could read, spouse visa is not a problem since it seems to be very easy to get. I don´t really have necessity of working as a biologist though, I could teach english or other languages as well as I loving doing that. I love learning new languages too and I´m learning japanese. I plan on going from 5 to 6 years from now so I´ll be fluent by that time without a doubt. Also, I don´t drink so...
>>
>>1160633
I loved Yurakucho. It's a really cool spot where businessmen go to eat and drink after work on weeknights. No tourists, so slightly awkward if you don't speak Japanese. One of the highlights of my life though, kinda hard to explain why.
I did a stupid amount of research before I went and found no mention of the arcade in Kawasaki, Kawasaki Warehouse I think it's called? I found it way cooler than any in Akihabara, but Akihababa was still great.

Do you like beer or rock music? If you do, I can suggest some places.
>>
>>1160636
Love both a ton, that sounds like a really cool find, going to keep[ a google doc of all the stuff I want to do, so any suggestion is helpful!
>>
>>1160639
Good stuff, man. I'm pretty drunk right now so can answer specifics for you tomorrow if this thread is still live, but here's some stuff off the top of my head.

Golden Gai is worth hitting to meet people, but not for seeing the "real" Tokyo. Was kinda heartbreaking in that regard.
Some cool bars nearby, Rock Bar Mother, Godz, Dusk Til Dawn, etc. Still clearly cater to tourists, but totally different vibe to the Golden Gai bars.

There's other stuff that's not coming to mind, but if you're looking for any specifics let me know.

I'll be there until I think the 5th of Feb.
>>
File: 22016107775_4c45dbd763_b.jpg (311KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
22016107775_4c45dbd763_b.jpg
311KB, 1024x819px
favorite inaka for an authentic japanese experience?
>>
File: japanesecatplayingbanjo.jpg (53KB, 500x683px) Image search: [Google]
japanesecatplayingbanjo.jpg
53KB, 500x683px
Alright, I'm sick of not getting definite answers.

What should I expect in terms of price and serving size when it comes to food? I know 40000 yen won't get me too far for two weeks in different cities, but under what assumptions does that assessment come from?

Eating out for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Buying stuff from a farmer's market and cooking it in your Airbnb? Indulging yourself in okay restaurants every now and then?

I want to save a bit in food while not starving myself to death, as I started lifting not long ago and my appetite is a bit over the average. I will make breakfast and dinner if I have to. All I want is some price ranges, goddammit. The only thing I know is that konbini bento is around 1000 yen (Is that an average, a minimum, a really good deal? Who knows) and that nice restaurants start from around 3000 yen in big cities, but somehow I haven't been able to find more detailed info about this.

Any tips will be appreciated.
>>
My friends are planning a trip to Japan for 2+ weeks. They asked me to come along. £1400 for tickets and hotels (hotels are 2- 3 start and very, very average). Who the hell would pay that for Japan? Once you factor in daily expense, travel, food and excursions, the price will easily rise to over £2k. Rather go to Thailand or Malaysia and live luxuriously than go to Japan and live like a poorfag.
>>
>>1160646
If you're traveling for the hotel, sure. But then you could as well go to the next city and splurge what you saved on the travel on even more luxury.
Thailand and Malaysia have very little to offer beside them being cheaper.
>>
>>1160643
I spent average 10,000Y a day in Tokyo, which was a full lunch then street food around dinner, and getting drunk as shit at bars. Trains and taxi home included.
Lunch was usually either a ramen bowl or a pork katsu curry, pretty filling. Keep in mind I was usually hungover so needed something filling, and those did the job.
Fuck the "nice restaurants" bit. Get your biggest meal during lunch hours to get your moneys worth from where the workers go. Even shit ramen or sushi is still good there for the most part.
You haven't said where you're going, but assuming it's Tokyo, your bento price is pretty much the norm from what I found. I didn't go anywhere high-end though.
>>
>>1160635
>> 5 to 6 years from now
>> I´ll be fluent by that time
better get cracking then
>>
File: saitama.jpg (32KB, 618x409px) Image search: [Google]
saitama.jpg
32KB, 618x409px
>>1160372
>>
>>1160641
Did you stay in an AirBnB or a hotel by the way? Was thinking of doing the former, hotels seem really pricey in Tokyo.
>>
>>1160656
Hotel. I saw a bunch of people getting Air BnB cancelled last minute as it's not technically legal there, didn't want to risk it. You're right though, hotels in practical locations aren't cheap. Was worth it for me though.
>>
>>1160652
Well, I´m sure I´ll be able to at least have some conversation.
>>
>>1160612
Probably something to do with the owner of the restaurant being "quirky"
>>
>>1160612
Usually they do that to make it appealing, more "look at my place". It really common to write something in katakana even though it's written in hiragana to make it more "attractive" to read.
>>
>>1160643
A couple hours before it closes, the markets put the food at half price. With 1000 yen per day you could perfectly (including dessert and drink). You have to be early or you won't get to choose and get whatever is left.
I could definitively live two weeks with 40000, but if you want to travel or buy something.

The konbini bentos start from 400 and go up to 800/900. I went to a restaurant in Shinjuku with two other people and spent 5000 total (with dessert).

If you want to spend less, yes, if you cook everything yourself you'll probably end up spending less. But you have to buy the big packages, familiar ones, the ones that are cheaper in comparison with the others.

I would recommend taking advantage of the discounts I mentioned before. The servings are good, and well balanced so you won't end up eating garbage neither just rice (unless you want).
>>
>>1160675
Also, restaurants like Torikizoku which have a "everything for x price" are pretty great for entertaining a group of people and everyone walking out only having to cover about 2000 yen each for a decent feed with drinks
>>
Can I participate in swordfights?
>>
"Hello /trv/, I've been redirected to here from /jp/. I'm a Japanese major who's working on a degree in linguistics to become a teacher in Japan with the help of my English and Japanese teachers in my current college. My Japanese teacher is suggesting that I apply for a Japanese college to go to next year. Have any of you gone to a Japanese college? Which would you suggest? Thank you very much for any help you can give me going forward."
>>
>>1160606
If you have a marketable skill that is needed in Japan (like a programmer for instance) if you have a visa already and do some networking you can find a job somewhat easily.

The problem most JET people have is that they don't really have a useful degree, especially not in Japan, and most of the other teaching jobs in Japan are a pay cut combined with living in a more expensive place that actually needs English teachers.
>>
>>1160664
More like its the same point of a logo. Something that makes it more memorable than just octopus octopus
>>
>>1160723
Not him, but what would you consider a "useful" degree for English teaching? I'm in college right now & have been swaying between a degree in Linguistics and English. I've always wanted to be an English teacher in Japan, ever since I was like 8 or 9 years old It's the only reason I'm in college right now and desu probably haven't killed myself.

I'm willing to do what I can to get that job, even if it's a pay cut.
>>
>>1160726
A language degree won't help you much unless you go to grad school, which will open the door to teaching at a university, although it might help you maintain a salary close to the JET salary.

STEM degrees are the useful degrees, but the most sought after is a CS or a CE degree unless you have fantastic Japanese.

The main thing to keep in mind is Japanese go for Japanese things unless the foreign alternative is way better. Its why its pretty easy to get an English teaching job, its why the Xbox section at gaming stores is usually about 10 games compared to the wall of Nintendo and Sony games. Its also the reason why the iPhone came in and dominated Japan initially, but has since seen a major decline as Sony, Sharp, and others started putting out Android phones worth a shit.
>>
>>1160727
Well I plan to go pretty far with my degree before i try to teach/tutor overseas. You said it's easy to get an English teaching job, that's all I want. I don't care what grade I teach. It's what I want to do. Would a language degree not help in that regard?
>>
>>1160727
>>1160729
I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question. I just stress about stuff like this and need it spelled out for me before I have peace of mind.
>>
>>1160729
Its what I said. If you get a masters or PhD it'll allow you break the salary ceiling most other foreigners end up reaching after only a few years. A bachelors will shoot you up to the top of the list for a regular job, but won't help you advance much past the people who have already been working there for years. Theres a very real salary ceiling when it comes to teaching English
>>
>>1160733
I will take this into heavy consideration. unfortunately this puts me back at square one for my degree choice...
>>
>>1160734
No it doesn't you nong.
Just focus, get good grades, try to get work experience as often as possible, build a network, and love what you do 60% of the time.
>>
>>1160733
>A bachelors will shoot you up to the top of the list for a regular job, but won't help you advance much past the people who have already been working there for years.

Just a comment from an outside observer. To be clear, you NEED a bachelors degree to get a gainful full time teaching job in Japan. It is not an advantage, it's a requisite. Generally speaking major and institution do matter, though some prefer English or Linguistics. (Which is kind of silly but true).

Really, most ESL jobs now worth their salt require a bachelors.
>>
>>1160790
**major and institution do NOT matter

sorry.
>>
File: 1300214681757.jpg (6KB, 232x211px) Image search: [Google]
1300214681757.jpg
6KB, 232x211px
>>1160791
That's an important difference m8
>>
>>1160794
Yeah, no shit, it was a typo.
>>
I am currently near Chatan, (I'm in Kitamae, I guess. I have noticed that it is kind of ambiguous as to where towns begin and end).

Anyone know if there is anywhere in that general area to buy games and maybe figures and shit?

I know the American Village has probably has stores but it seems like a kind of far walk from where I am.
>>
Any good clubs in Roppongi? Been to Muse already
>>
>>1160838
LINE has the best music but its completely random if theres anybody there or not. Greenland is more consistent. Usuaully you're just better off looking for the club that is offering an all you can drink speciail before a certain time that night
>>
>>1158549
as a european guy, am i interesting and exotic to japanese people? do they look up to me, since they are so small, and does it make me feel exotic and cool?
>>
Have anyone ever been to Sapporo? Is it worth it?
>>
Yo /trv/ I will be in Tokyo alone starting saturday, if someone wants to hang out. French.
>>
Should I start at Nanzen-ji in Kyoto and walk north up the Philosopher's Path, or start at Ginkaku-ji and walk South?

Or does it really not fucking matter?
>>
>>1160882
No they don't really seem to care. Went with a 6ft5 friend a few weeks ago and no one seemed at all surprised by his height... Didn't get any attention for it whatsover.
>>
>>1160890
Depends what you mean by worth it. I'd say no though. the city itself doesn't have much to offer but it's kind of a unique place in Japan considering its western layout. If you want to use Sapporo as a hub city for skiing, the zoo, or general wilderness stuff then that might be worth it.
>>
>>1160936
Depends on where you go I suppose, the major cities are full of foreigners, you're nothing special. But if you go to smaller cities of the beaten path you're a bit more special again. Think the only time my height (191 cm) was pointed out by a stranger last time I was in Japan was at a baggage locker in Himeji, but obviously it came up on dates in Tokyo.
>>
>>1160922
It doesn't matter. Only thing I can say is Kinkakuji is overrated. It's not bad, but overrated. It's not actually old. It's a rebuild. It's overrun with tourists.

Check out Nishi Honganji. One of my best experiences in Kyoto was sitting in there and just smelling the old wood and incense and listening to the chanting.
>>
I'm thinking about going to Japan in November for around 2 weeks.

Is this trying to fit way too much shit in?

Day 1: Sapporo
Day 2: Sapporo
Day 3: Sapporo
Day 4: Tokyo
Day 5: Tokyo
Day 6: Tokyo
Day 7: Kyoto
Day 8: Kyoto
Day 9: Fukuoka
Day 10: Fukuoka
Day 11: Fukuoka
Day 12: Tokyo
Day 13: Tokyo
Day 14: Tokyo

Main stuff I want to do

-Skiing in Hokkaido + staying at a hella rural air bnb + lakes and hot springs
-Most likely getting fucked up in Tokyo the first time (it's where all my friends and business associates are)
-Shrines and temples in Kyoto
-Visiting family friends in Fukuoka and just generally chilling
-Coming back to Tokyo a second time to do the more touristy stuff and anything I missed the first time

Seems like it would be a lot of train rides but I'd also get to see a lot of the country. You guys think this is too aggressive? I've had friends go for 2 weeks and not leave Tokyo so that kind of makes me think I might be skipping around so much that I can't really enjoy any 1 spot. Anyone have any adjustments they'd make?
>>
>>1161079
Consider flying back to Tokyo from Fukuoka, it's really cheap and will save so much time.
>>
>>1161081

Oh shit thanks for the tip! That definitely makes sense.
>>
>>1161079
Take away one of your Fukuoka days for Osaka and maybe Nara. I'd use that day to go to Nara during the day and then come back and hang in Osaka in the evening.
>>
>>1161079
>>1161090
Yeah I'd definitely recommend spending a day in Nara. Very easy to get there from Kyoto.
>>
>>1158549
regarding hyperdia, are the train times basically the same, day to day, month to month? I'm travelling in April and it won't let me look that far ahead. Can I assume the times that are listed for any other month will be applicable?

Also, should I visit Disneyland or universal studios?
>>
>>1161161
pretty much.

Trains might be booked out if you travel during a busy time but otherwise it should be fine
>>
Are there any anime-music dance clubs in the Shibuya area? Otherwise, what do you guys think of Womb?
>>
Please help me finalize my December trip. I'll be there from 23rd to 31st. It's my third trip to Japan.
23-24 - Kyoto. Fav places: Nara, Inari in the evening, ponto cho, arashiyama.
25th - Osaka. Den den and getting wasted in the evening.
26-27 are the blank dates. I can't decide between staying in Kyushu (eg one day kurokawa, one day something else) Nagoya/tsumago region or "fuck it, let's go north" trip to Sendai/yamadera/Nikki
28-31 - Tokyo. Comiket and fun

Please advice on 26-27. Open for any suggestions. Travelling solo. Don't like touristic spots that much. N3 so can speak a little
>>
>>1161189
If you can, hit up Fukuoka in Kyushu. Great vibe there and the food is top notch. Make sure to grab a bowl of Tonkotsu Ramen at Shin Shin. I promise you will not regret it.

There's also Ohori Park if you're down for a nice stroll and the street carts (yatai) serve up some nice drinks + food.
>>
>>1161189
Kurokawa is nice, but honestly getting there seems kind of rushy, especially if you're going from Osaka

I would recommend spending the time in Hakone (since it's also on the way to Tokyo), perhaps with an extra day to go somewhere near Mt. Fuji (though I personally think 1 1/2 days for Hakone is just about right)
>>
File: 20150718_051627777.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20150718_051627777.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>1158655
>>1158822
Hey, I stayed at the same place! Does it still have that one guy that has lived there for several years?
>>
>>1161187
The only fun dance clubs in Japan are the hip hop ones unless you're going with the specific intent of seeing a specific DJ. The electronic clubs are dominated by girls who come in a group, dance together in a group by jumping up and down facing the dj, and leave in a group. Womb is the worst offender of this since they get the biggest electronic djs so the people going are usually going just for the dj and its way more expensive than the other similar clubs in the area.
>>
Any recommendations for a restaurant to try kobe beef?
>>
>>1161204
>>1161207
Thank you, guys, much appreciated.
>>
>>1158655
>>1161210
oh shit I was there too (mostly because everything else was booked out)

There was an old cleaning guy who was really grumpy because I didn't know that I had to leave the capsule by 10 and because I pissed in the toilet while he was cleaning. Apparently I wasn't the only one who pissed him off and he just kept staring angrily at people the whole day kek.

I really liked the Onsen/Sento they had on the top floor with the view over the Asakusa river and that you could just throw in 500 Yen into the TV to watch porn lol
>>1161212
there's one in the Port area of Ishigaki that's supposed to be pretty good (it's opposite of where you buy your ferry tickets) :)
>>
>tfw don't enjoy traveling at all without a proper hotel

I tried capsules and air bnb during my last trip and I absolutly despised it. Sure, it was somewhat okay. But if I don't sleep well and feel comfortable at night the next day is already over for me.

Thank god 4*+ hotels are dirt cheap in Japan compared to western cities.
>>
I'm planning all of my travel routes in Tokyo and I'm having a lot of trouble storing them on my phone. Google Maps doesn't want to download anything Tokyo-related for offline use as it cries that it's far too big. Since Google Maps seems like a bust for offline use, what are some good apps for planning my foot traffic around Tokyo? Thanks a lot in advance.
>>
File: image.jpg (536KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
536KB, 1280x1280px
Been lurking on this general for a bit. I'm an early 20's Japanese in Canada who can barely read due to growing up in a rural town with the Japanese course getting cut before I even got into Highschool. I would like to move back to Japan in an year or 2 as I am getting disgusted by my western peers and feel like my homeland needs me. My mother has advised me to go through the JET program but I also have bartending under my belt and feel this could work better especially at a hotel bar with the 2020 Olympic approaching. I am conflicted considering the bartending gig is sick but finding a job is uncertain and I'm worried that JET won't be worth it.

Random picture to get your attention.
>>
>>1161300
There's plenty of free wifi access for tourists in Tokyo itself, so that's a start for the google maps problem you have. And most hotels will have wifi covered with the cost of the room
>>
>>1161315
I have a few apps downloaded for free WiFi access when we get there. Will it be the case that we're wandering around the streets of Shinjuku, turn our WiFi on and there'll be a WiFi connection available for us? I'd like to avoid intruding on local businesses if we don't intend to buy anything and just want to leech WiFi.
>>
>>1161315
>>1161300

You don't need a cell signal or wifi for google maps to work in a rudimentary.fashion. It can still figure out where you're at based on gps alone.
>>
>>1161308
Do you have citizenship?
>>
>>1161300
just rent a pocket wifi
>>
I've never tried sushi (and i'm not really interested in eating the americanized stuff), but I want to try it in Japan next month, the problem is I don't even like fish that much so I don't have high expectations for sushi.

What would be the best way to try real sushi in Japan without looking like an ass going to a sushi place and having to walk out after eating only 1
>>
I finally found a way to get rid of those pesky left over coins. I loaded all of them up (10-500yen) to a pasmo card and used that up whenever I buy from conbini and vendos. For the last day, you could also use it to purchase your last train ride to the airport. I am now left with a bunch of 1 and 5 yens and have no idea what to do with them.
>>
>>1161386
Conbini/supermarket sushi.
>>
>>1161355
I do (until 26 or so due to citizenship laws) which is the reason I can't get a work visa.
>>
>>1161397
>Conbini/supermarket sushi.
Stale and generally of low quality.

>>1161386
Better to go to a conveyor belt place. It's fresh and relatively cheap (quality varies a good deal, though). You can have 1 plate of whatever looks good and, if you don't like it, you can pay and leave.
>>
I have a few questions about Koyasan:

1) Can you eat shojin ryouri there for lunch without staying overnight?

2) Can you take a meditation class without staying overnight?

3) Is it worth booking a tour with a guide?
>>
>>1161409
Conbini sushi is always garbage, supermarket sushi tends to be better than a good chunk of lower to mid-tier Japanese places in the US so long as you don't buy the negi-toro junk sushi thats been sitting in the case all day. Definitely if you go to something a little better than OK or Akafudado like Maruetsu or especially The Garden.

>>1161386
This advice is probably best
>>1161409
But also Chiyoda sushi and the other corner store sushi places offer pretty good sushi if you get it right when its made or if you ask for it freshly made. The expensive stuff is definitely worth it if you can catch them right before closing and get chu-toro and oo-toro for 25-75% off
>>
For those travelling next year, whats going to happen to tsukiji? Are the restaraunts moving as well?
>>
>>1161430
Plans to move it are postponed for now
>>
>>1161379
Could anyone tell me what Docomo's area coverage is like? I wanted to stay away from renting pocket WiFi because I was under the impression they gave you an entirely new SIM, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I can either book in advance or there is a Docomo booth right by my baggage reclaim. Would it serve me well wandering the streets of Tokyo without having to duck into somewhere to steal their WiFi?
>>
File: 1386600252177.jpg (40KB, 418x354px) Image search: [Google]
1386600252177.jpg
40KB, 418x354px
going to japan over new years for 7 days, there are about 12 of us, we will be landing and then taking a 5 hour drive to tokyo to stay a night or two then we are heading to habuka to stay in the gondola lodge

>never left queensland australia
>never seen snow
>we are all 20-21

>whats the shopping like?
clothes, fast food, restaurants etc

>what are clubs and pubs like?
would it be hard to pickup women there?

not really into sight seeing, we are all just keen to drink ski and have a good time
>>
>>1161455

i went out with a girl who worked at softbank that said coverage for all the major carriers are similar. I had softbank for 3 years and can't recall a single time i didn't have coverage except while in a tunnel while on the subway.

There's multiple cell providers at narita but the only one i recall running into is softbank.

I know theres a softbank booth at narita,
>>
What are some must-eat foods?
>>
>>1161467
Fellow Queenslander here, going for my 4th trip over in November going to say a couple things primarily.

I'm not quite sure why you're taking a five hour drive? Qantas and Jetstar from all locations arrive between 6pm - 8pm and you can easily catch a train from Narita to Tokyo in an hour and a half. The logistics of having 12 people may be a pain in the ass though. The N'EX return ticket is $40 and might be suitable if you're staying in Shinjuku/Shibuya, the Keisei Skyliner is more suitable if you're staying in Ueno/Nippori/Asakusa.

Shopping is fine I suppose? Clothes may be a bit small and there isn't much you can get there that can't get here unless its touristy shirts. Shops are fun, the lads would probably enjoy a day in Akihabara if they like games at all. You'll be able to point at pictures and menu items to order food, there are more than enough english menus.

I don't really like Japanese clubs, they're kinda shit. From what I've heard Hakuba is just full of Australian Expats so its probably won't be a cultural experience there.

Planning is everything when going to Japan, last time I went there were two guys that got off the same plane as us that were trying to take out money with an EFTPOS card and were going to redeem their Japan Rail Pass a week before they had any travel plans so it would have expired so make sure you at least research a bit before heading over.

A six pack of asahi tinnies from the convenience store is about 1000 yen so at least piss is cheap. Bars/clubs can be much more expensive depending on where you go.

>>1161475
ramen i guess, I like stuff I can't get here though like omurice, regional foods would be more must-eat than anything generally.
>>
>>1161473
I can only see Docomo in the arrivals lounge for Haneda. Thanks for letting me know about the coverage though.

I'd be lying if I said I'm not a bit suspicious about flying into a domestic airport from Paris, but I doubt Expedia would fuck up that badly and tell me I was flying in to the wrong airport.
>>
>>1161477
Haneda is international; I flew directly into HND from Toronto.

>>1161475
okonomiyaki is something I recommend, it's very uncommon where I live so having it in Japan was a real treat. The mochi is also very, very good - softest, most delicate ricecake I've ever had. Japan's mochi has ruined me when it comes to ricecake.
>>
Is it possible to hitchhike in Japan as a young European? If I write the destination in Kanji on a piece of cardboard?
>>
I've deliberated with myself over whether to post this, but I'd appreciate the experence and knowledge of people who have travelled with others and who have been to the place I'm going to talk about.

I'm going to Tokyo with my boyfriend soon and I'm doing all of the planning. We're both totally fine with this since I get to go crazy with research, highlighting and coloured pens. He's had minimal input so far and he said he's happy to 'sit back and enjoy the ride', but one thing he's 100% adamant on is going to Tokyo Tower on the night of my birthday. Like completely fixated on it. At one point I deliberately left it out of a rough itinerary I showed him and he immediately went "Wait, where's Tokyo Tower on your birthday?".

So uh...is this cause for a manicure before I go?
>>
>>1161663
How should we know?
You should definitely go to Tokyo Tower, btw. It's got a really nice view.
>>
>>1161677
I know it's hard to ask people to get into one person's mindset that they don't know, I'm just wondering if I have the right to be suspicious. Plus I've never gone on holiday before, I don't know if someone's only contribution to a trip is to request to go to one specific place in one very specific timeframe is usual or not. Plus I'm wondering if locals or people who have been there before can attest to how romantic it is.
>>
>>1161681
This sounds an awful lot like a question you should just be directly asking your boyfriend, not strangers on the internet.
>>
>>1158723
top kek
>>
>>1158624
Tokyo Disneysea is an experience not unlike heaven.
>>
File: War...has changed.png (329KB, 578x436px) Image search: [Google]
War...has changed.png
329KB, 578x436px
>>1158549
>>1158549
I'm thinking about studying abroad in Japan next semester. My college offers three places in Japan to study abroad. Any info on these places?

>International Christian University
>Tsuru University
>Ritsumeikan University
>>
>>1161663
yeah, hes gonna propose
>>
>>1161701
google you mong
>>
>>1161387
Or you could be a normal person and take your time out to give the exact change when buying things
>>
>>1161701
The one in the biggest city unless you're extremely serious about your Japanese language studies. Then you want a city but the smallest one, not an inaka since a huge part of a study abroad is meeting people and theres jack shit to do in the country besides go to class. Even if you're sociable the other students simply will not have enough going on in the country to offer enough things to fill the semester.
>>
>>1161742
Most people don't understand the technique behind giving change quickly.

Bills in the wallet, 1 yen, 5 yen and 10 yen in your left back pocket, 100 yen and 500 yen. 50 yen is dealers choice.
>>
>>1161663
Yes! Go!

Good for you. I hope he makes you happy.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 400x400px
>tfw there are no study abroad programs for your major in Japan
>tfw your only option is Korea
>mfw I only signed up for Japanese
>>
Logistics practical? Suggested alterations or amendments? Perhaps jaded by the amount of temples and shrines by Day 9 in Itinerary A? Perhaps too much traveling in the latter half of Itinerary B? Is good wagyu ubiquitous; is it essential to pay+taste A5 wagyu in the likes of Kobe or is the experience the same in the likes of Tokyo?

Itinerary A
1: Nonstop flight from USA
2: Tokyo
3: Tokyo
4: Tokyo
5: Hakone (onsen lodging)
6: Kyoto (ryokan lodging; in-and-around)
7: Kyoto (ryokan lodging; in-and-around)
8: Kyoto (in-and-around)
9: Nara into Koyasan, Wakayama (shukubo lodging)
10: Tokyo
11: Nonstop flight to USA

or

Itinerary B
1: Nonstop flight from USA
2: Tokyo
3: Tokyo
4: Tokyo
5: Hakone (onsen lodging)
6: Kyoto (ryokan lodging; in-and-around)
7: Kyoto (ryokan lodging; in-and-around)
8: Kyoto (in-and-around)
9: Miyajima, Hiroshima (discount flight or train the next morning; or overnight bus?)
10: Tokyo
11: Nonstop flight to USA
>>
Can anyone advise me how N'ex tickets work? It seems the cheapest and quickest option for tourists.
I'm going to buy a return ticket from Narita to central Tokyo, so I assume I book my seat when I buy the ticket. How do I book my seat for the return journey?
>>
>>1161993
You can get it from the station you're planning to depart from ie Shinjuku. I'm not sure how far in advance you can do it.
>>
>>1161928
Why not get a JR pass? It'd be perfect for you and you could get everything you want done with a week pass. Id personally go to Hiroshima as you can do Nara in a day trip from Kyoto.

>>1161993
The $40 return thing is good but the NEX isnt that great if you are near Ueno, Asakusa, Nippori or around that area as the Keisei skyliner is 2400 yen ish one way and does the run in just over half an hour.

From memory the NEX takes about 90 minutes or so to get to shinjuku. If you want the return thing you just need to go to the JR service desk and ask for it, I know that terminal 2 has one opposite the entry to the platforms but I'm not sure about terminal 1
>>
I got my Ghibli ticket for december, but is there anything else major worth reserving before I get to Japan to make sure I don't miss out

I mean mainly museums and parks that you can't just go in and buy a ticket when you go
>>
>>1161928
On second thought, is there anything else in between Tokyo and Kyoto that's not Hakone and is worth an overnight stay? If else, I'm just gonna base myself in Tokyo for an extra day.
>>
general itinerary/strategy tips for ~4-5 weeks?

thinking tokyo, yokohama, kyoto, osaka, nagoya, hiroshima, but not sure what else
>>
>>1162022
I'm staying near Shinagawa station, so it looks like it's my best bet. I'm flying in to terminal 1, but I'm sure I can find a JR desk easy enough. Thanks for the info.
>>
I have two specific questions about Kyoto:

1) I'd like to go to free Japanese classes by volunteers. I'd say my level is between beginner and intermediate and I have found this list:

http://www.kpic.or.jp/english/learning_japanese/japanese_class.html

Does anyone have experience with this and can recommend a certain class?

2) I would like to know where in Kyoto the university departments for English, French and German studies are, but I can't really navigate the sites. Can someone help me with this?
>>
The new thread is here:

>>1162419
>>
File: 4eky455453.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
4eky455453.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Hey /trv/ Looking to go in late jan for the first time and with a group of around 6-7 whats your opinion if any on these types of tours, reading through it makes it look rushed to me, I'm thinking of booking a few free days in between but dont know where, Tokyo or Osaka?
http://www.flightcentre.com.au/tours/japan/discover-japan/3786773
then a week skiing
http://www.flightcentre.com.au/accommodation/hakuba/4232051
Thread posts: 336
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.