[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teaching English abroad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 10

File: 2345245623452345.gif (2MB, 230x250px) Image search: [Google]
2345245623452345.gif
2MB, 230x250px
So how does teaching English abroad actually work?

What's it like? The average day? Do you shout at foreign kids for a few hours a week then go spend your money, or do you actually have to do some seirous back breaking work that reuqires marking and stress etc?

How easy is it to get work on the side in places like Asia? Would I need to lug my degree certificate around with me or just bring a copy?

What happens when you go back home? Are you fucked with regards toe employment/ pensions/savings etc?

I'd love to do it, I'm 22, graduated in politics in the UK at a good uni. I am working as a lobbyist atm (it's fucking awful, high stress, meh pay, meh prospects) - looking for a way out.

I've so many questions but can't find a blog answering these basics and i'm also a bit scared I'll get out there and I'll be too old once I'm sorted (will probably be closer to 23/24).

I figured a megathread of my questions might help some others looking too.

No doubt I'll get told to fuck off or offend board etiquette, so apologies if that is indeed the case.
>>
I actually am in the process of getting my invitation to China. Seems easy enough. I think you could make better money if you were American. Also, if you want to save more money go to a third tier city. Places like Shanghai and Bejing are way more expensive in every aspect.
>>
24 was old back when you had King Arthur
>>
Depends on the country and the type of ESL job.

Your questions are too broad.

I teach in Korea so I'll tell you my personal experience. Mind you this is a non-shady Hagwon.

The school covers the following:
Pay 2.5million 원 month
Accommodation
Airfare
50% health insurance
50% national pension(you get 100% back when you finish)

All other bills are your responsibility.

Work life:
I arrive at 2:15pm and finish at 10pm Monday through Friday. 7 classes, 10minute breaks, 15 minute dinner break.

Zero prep or planning is needed but I do it sometimes if i try something new. Every student is studying independently at their desk with mp3 player, worksheets and a storybook. One at a time i bring them up for a ~7minute "interview" and we talk about their day and the book material. We finish, they sit down and i call up the next one. Repeat until class is
over. Game/snack day once a week.

Low stress most of the time. Sometimes the middle school girls can be more stressful than other age groups.

I teach elementary, middle and high school ages. It's all mixed.

Tutoring on the side independently for cash is illegal but many people do it. I don't because I have a busy life outside of school because of my hobbies and lady.

Overall:
Bretty gud m8
8/8 would recommend.

My job isn't the norm though.
>>
>>1158346
This might be a silly question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway: do you speak Korean? If not, how does teaching English in Korea work beyond being a conversation partner?
>>
>>1158386
almost no tefl position requires you to speak the local tongue
>>
i'll throw my hat in. i'm also an english teacher in s. korea, been here for five years now. i teach at a public elementary school in the countryside, about an hour outside of seoul.

it's great job. chill hours and laid back classes. work is from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. i teach about 3 to 5 classes a day, depending on school activities, field trips, festivals, etc.

i love working in a public school in the countryside because i get to become a part of the local community. i'm the only white guy in my town, so i stand out, but the neighbors are friendly and often give me food from their farms and invite me to drink with them. it's just a very chill life. and seoul is close enough that i can visit whenever i get bored of the countryside.

qualifications for getting decent teaching jobs in s. korea are increasing. you need at least a BA and tefl these days. i have both, and i'm working on my MA as well for future employability. the nice thing about my job is i have so much free time and extra money that i can afford to do an online MA in the evenings.

what happens when you go back home is the big question... for some, their time teaching overseas equals a big hole in their resumes. for others, it's a boon. for me personally, i decided "fuck it, i've been here this long, might as well make a career out of it".

if you have an specific questions, shoot.
>>
Not op. What's the process for getting a teaching cert like?
>>
>>1158386
I have "survival" Korean skills. I can order food alone. I can ask for directions. I can not die. No where close to fluency though.

I have an assistant korean teacher and all my students have an electronic dictionary at their desks. It's no issue at all.

All korean I've learned is for my own benefit outside of work.
>>
>>1158485
What is your social life like over there?
>>
>>1158485
>>1158346
maybe a stupid question, but does english have to be your native language in order to apply? 'Cause my vocabulary is sufficient to have a casual conversation, but i have a bit of an accent. How perfect does your english have to be?
>>
>>1158485
I hear it's very selective to get a job over there; I have a B.S. in Mathematics and a B.A. in Physics, so my degree itself is pretty far out of what I'd be doing when teaching. Even with a TEFL certificate, would it be quite difficult to get a job teaching for a year? I would do it, but getting the certificate would be a huge waste if I couldn't make it work for me.

While I'm primarily interested in the travel, I feel like I'm very comfortable with the idea of teaching and think I would like it, although I don't plan to do it for a living.
>>
>>1158554
My boss(good hagwon guy here) specifically prefers Americans or Canadians (because the tests they study for use american voices)but I've seen a lot of diversity in every city i go to. They were all from native speaking countries, though. Being something like Swedish or even Irish gives a disadvantage for several reasons and I've never seen someone from a good school be anything but a native speaker from one of the big English countries. I heard there's more opportunities for guys like you in SE Asia.
>>
>>1158571
Yeah it's more competitive now sure, however.
I'm gonna be blunt and say there's a lot of shitty people in Korea because they're not interested in teaching at all but they did it because they had nothing else to do in life.

Not disparaging or trying to discourage you cause there's plenty who come here and enjoyed it for what it was and their boss wasn't complaining.

Even caring enough to have a TEFL shows you put more effort than the average goon here.
>>
>>1158582
That's fair. I just like to try new things, and the teaching sounds interesting enough and liable to give me a set of new experiences on its own, outside of just the travelling.

Like plenty of other people, I'm also interesting in teaching in Japan, but I hear that the jobs you're likely to get there really suck and your employers take advantage of you, whereas in Korea the pay and the treatment tend to be better.

Are there specific programs I should be applying for? Teaching in a city would be great, but I'm sure those are also more selective.
>>
Are there cheap airlines that you can take to visit other places around Asia? Like Ryanair in europe?
>>
Anyone working with elementary school kids? What is a typical lesson like?
>>
Brit here.

Due family difficulties as a teenager I don't have a degree, and I don't qualify to go to University so in order to get a degree I'd have to spend years gaining UCAS points. And then years on the degree itself.

Is it possible to get a decent TEFL job without a degree? I'm more than happy to work hard and work on getting a TEFL certificate, but is there any point even trying with a degree?
>>
Sup guys, thought i would ask my question here. S

So i'm considering teaching english in Mexico. Anyone have any experience teaching English in Spanish Speaking countries? Stories?
>>
>>1158589

Air Asia isn't too pricy but it's no Ryan Air
>>
>>1158587
CELTA is globally recognized as the best esl teaching program. But its more expensive and intensive.

Anything else will be fine though just have some in class hours ideally. TOEFL or some variant.

>>1158630
You can find a job in SE Asia but it will not be decent(most likely).
>>
>>1158523

minimal. i go to the city to meet my korean girlfriend about twice a week, and my korean language skills are basic enough that i can get drunk with my coworkers. otherwise, the countryside life is pretty solitary, which is fine by me since i like my alone time.
for some english teachers, especially newbies, working at rural schools can be lonesome and boring. but, you can find expat communities to hang out with very easily. meetup.com is great for meeting new friends, and i've used it a few times.

>>1158554

depends on your country of origin. if you're a citizen of one of the preferred western speaking countries, like the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, or NZ, you can probably fake your language skills enough to get a job. otherwise, i imagine it will be difficult to get hired... korean employers are more often looking for a "face" to show off to parents, someone who's from or looks like he's from a western English-speaking country.

>>1158571

when i first came to Korea five years ago i had just a BA in art and two years experience teaching elementary art classes. that was enough to get me hired at an entry level english teaching job. now i've got five years english teaching experience and my CELTA, which makes it a lot easier for me to find better jobs.
i recommend getting a TEFL degree if you have even the slightest desire to teach english overseas. not only will a TEFL put your resume on top of the others, what you learn in the TEFL class will definitely help prepare for your job as a teacher. TEFL classes are just a month long usually... might as well just do it and have it in your back pocket, and then you'll have the option of becoming an english teacher available to you whenever you like.
it's also worth mentioning, with your BAs in math and physics, you stand a decent chance of getting noticed by academies and private schools who want to hire foreigners to teach math and science to korean kids in english. worth looking into.
>>
>>1158609

aye, i do. lessons are about 40 minutes. i've been following the same basic lesson formula for the past few years...

warm-up: start the class with some kind of attention-getter relevant to the day's topic, like a funny video or an interesting picture. i use those to get conversation going.

review: we review the vocab and sentences we studied in the previous class. i usually do this with a powerpoint i made that incorporates funny or interesting images. i fucking love powerpoints man. you have no idea what powerpoint is capable of until you become an english teacher.

lesson: open your books to page whatever! for the next 20 minutes or so we study 2 pages from the students' text books. i push and prod them to use the lesson's target language and practice with partners

game: we end the class with a game. kids need games, it gives them a chance to experiment with the english we learned. sometimes i use games the book recommends, other times i make a game up.

closing: i randomly spot-check students for comprehension, assign homework, then shoo them away so i can have some coffee.

rinse and repeat about 4 times a day, have lunch, chill in my office for four hours making lesson plans and surfing the net, then go home at 4:30. sometimes kids come to my office to harass me for candy, or a coworker orders fried chicken and i go to the main office for free food. pretty basic.
>>
>>1158653
There isn't much money, unless you have a masters and teach at a college. There's still positions, but you'll get free housing and a stipend of $5-800 a month. It's better to think about it more like WOOFing, compared to an actual job like in Asia. It's a way to subsidize a trip, not pay for it.

>>1158895
>it's also worth mentioning, with your BAs in math and physics, you stand a decent chance of getting noticed by academies and private schools who want to hire foreigners to teach math and science to korean kids in english. worth looking into.

Was going to say the same thing. That anon could make over 100k a year if they're willing to go to an Arab country. They could also have a much more prestigious job in Asia. It seems dumb to put that much effort in education to be paid the same as a high school graduate coworker.
>>
>>1158791
>>1158895

Is a CELTA worth it if I'd like to teach for a year or two? Does a CELTA mean I'll probably get paid more?

Thanks for any advice.
>>
>>1158246
I tried posting this in another thread, but it seems desolation follows me even in this website. Maybe I'll find something here.

I'm TESOL certified with a bachelor's degree and one year experience. I have lost all interest in teaching in the third world so Southeast Asia and South America are gone from my list of places I'd like to teach. My question to you guys is where can I teach with my credentials and what site should I use. Eslcafe and seriousteachers have both been disappointing.

I am an American so I'm not sure if it would be easy to find a position in Europe. If I had to pick an ideal, it would be St. Petersburg, but Google has yielded nothing of any use when I looked up jobs there.

Also would like to hear of experiences from those who have taught outside of the conventional countries you tend to see mentioned here.

I was offered a position in Radom with free housing but pay that amounts to about 500 USD. Can anyone convince me that this isn't pitiful?
>>
>>1158246
do you speak the language of the country where you want to teach english? i see these teaching english threads all the time and i always wonder how people imagine it to teach english without speaking the language of their students... as if speaking english is enough qualification. 500 mio people would be qualified for the job then
>>
>>1159020
https://www.tefl.com/job-seeker/map.html

has a few for st pete

$500 spending money in eastern poland is pretty good, locals have to move west for that kind of money

>>1159026
you teach classes in english, a english only in the classroom rule is common

for the lower end teaching jobs, employers often prefer you don't speak local, they want someone isolated they can boss around better

if you speak the local, you can be better off doing private tutoring
>>
>>1159020
You're going to make A LOT less money. If you want more you'll need private tutoring.

You don't have enough credentials to have a non-"pitiful" job as you put it. You were self-defeatist in the last thread and you still are in this thread, why? Do some real fucking research, get realistic expectations and go.

But I'm sure you'll enjoy the country when you're there. Just don't expect anything grand from your job.
>>
>>1158978
>it's also worth mentioning, with your BAs in math and physics, you stand a decent chance of getting noticed by academies and private schools who want to hire foreigners to teach math and science to korean kids in english.

>That anon could make over 100k a year if they're willing to go to an Arab country. They could also have a much more prestigious job in Asia. It seems dumb to put that much effort in education to be paid the same as a high school graduate coworker.

I'm that anon. Jesus, what!? I'd never heard of such a thing. How would I start looking into that? Do I still go for the TEFL, or do I take a different path to teach Math? If the pay is as you imply, then I might actually consider it a career.

For what it's worth though, I was only a mediocre student in college, and graduated with a 3.2 gpa.
>>
>>1159114
So, got here from the front page, but I'll post a pretty good website. Works better if you have actual certifications though. Personally, I'm getting my MS in education right now. As for the Arab countries, in a lot of cases, the actual pay is lower BUT they throw in your accommodations or give you a living stipend. This makes it difficult to quantify your actual "income," but in place like that I'd expect rent to make up a larger share of your expenditures.

teachaway.com
>>
>>1159114
anon who posted it,
100k starting is a bit of an exaggeration, but with the combination of free housing and no/low income tax, would leave you with the equivalent of making $100k over 12 months in most western countries

something like this, you wouldn't be too far off from

https://www.tefl.com/job-seeker/jobpage.html?jobId=87121&countryId=185

the msc is the hard part but you already got that, you could bullshit the teaching experience as private tutoring
>>
I have been teaching at a shitty university in China for three years, and I want to work somewhere else. I have a CELTA certificate, a Bachelors in Business Administration (Yeah, I know), and will have a Master's in February (related to applied linguistics).

I have no self-esteem that I can find a better job, but I really want to work somewhere that is not China or Asia. I would really like to work at a company in-house preferably somewhere in Eastern Europe or the Gulf. What are my chances? Money has never been an issue. I'm practically a monastic. Been saving $1,000 a year here on a $1,200 salary before tax and utilities.
>>
>>1159135
Chances are good for the Gulf. Biggest con is that you are a man.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 316x160px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 316x160px
>>1158978
>>1158978
I'll have my bachelors degree and a TEFL certification. The majority of the sites i have looked at offer a livable wage for degree holders.
>>
>>1159135
$1000 a year is really low man.

I'm saving that much per month without even trying to be frugal.
>>
>>1159156
I know it is low, but I teach at a university. I work 16 hours a week and have Thursday and Friday off (including the weekend). Right now half of my students are doing an internship, so for a month I only work 8 hours a week. I have all the holidays off (roughly four months or so of paid vacation).

And I don't care about money. I am practically a monastic.
>>
>>1159156
Oh, I meant $1,000 a month. My monthly salary is $1,200 before tax and utility expenses. I save around $7,000 a year since I do not receive a full salary for the months I do not teach (i.e. vacation).
>>
>>1159137
Con in the sense they seem to favor hiring women. Or maybe that is just who chiefly goes for the jobs
>>
>>1158246
You could try JET, it's what I'm currently on. Though the application process is so long you might as well look else were since JET takes so long and you might get rejected anyway.
>>
>>1159161
>>1159162
Ah gotcha.

Dude you're saving 80%+ of your paycheck that's insane.

What are you eating on a daily basis? Do you ever go out and drink? Are you healthy?

I save ~$1200-$1400 a month but that's half my paycheck. Gym membership, cell phone, utilities, health insurance, food, lady. That's where all my money goes to.
>>
>>1159207
Where do you work?
>>
Article by someone teaching in Spain:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57cd828ae4b06c750ddb151f
>>
>>1159222
Tongyeong, Korea
>>
>>1159161
I would love to find a job like yours. The abundance of time you have to yourself certainly justifies your wage.
>>
Stupid fuckin chink parents bring their kids into class even when they're sick, so they get teachers (me) sick, other kids sick, and the TAs sick.

Is there anything worse than teaching in China? Do they do this shit in other Asian countries?
>>
>>1159322
That makes me sad to read but I wonder if it's your tone or the matter itself that I also find so amusing. Do they at least give you sick days? My face is grimacing with the thought of having to deal with a sniffling, coughing little Chinese kid. I should probably thank you because you're renewed my utter lack of interest in teaching in China, which lately I've come close to compromising out of desperation.
>>
>>1159132
It says "job expired" already. What sort of thing should I be looking for on this site?

I've "private tutored" a friend, for free. Does that count?
>>
>>1159207
I eat out every day. I don't cook because I am lazy/do not want cockroaches or mice (more, I mean). I don't drink.

I am thinking of joining a gym, but right now I just jump rope, walk everywhere, and play basketball/badminton with the students on campus.

>>1159285
It is wild. It is probably the best job around for someone like me, but at the same time I want something with more prestige. Even if the money is lower, I want work somewhere that isn't China or Asia, at a company with business professionals (who probably have better things to do than sit in a room with me, but tough luck for them).
>>
>>1159440
It sounds like the best job for someone like me as well. How do I find something similar? Did they advertise the position with low teaching hours or did that just end up happening?
>>
>>1159442
Just look for university positions. As you won't be expected to join faculty meetings or hold an office hour or prepare research, you end up with 16 hours a week.

Mind you, my $1,200 a month salary is rather high for a university. I have a friend who only gets paid $600, and his university is much larger. Also, he does not receive summer and winter allowances like I do.

I was even offered a position at another university in this city (one that has quadruple the number of students and probably funding), but I would have been given $300 less with no summer and winter allowances just to do the same thing I am doing here in a cleaner school.
>>
>>1159442
Uni jobs usually have much lower working hours and higher vacation. They're a lot more competitive and sought after though so be prepared for that.
>>1159440
Ah i heard street food in china is dirt cheap. I'm kinda a health nut so i buy organic kale/spinach/frozen berries/lean chicken/etc so my food bills rack up haha.

Slight rant but it's a huge chore to find grass fed animal products in Korea so the best thing i could find is grass fed ghee online. $23 A jar.
>>
>>1159449
I don't eat street food.

I eat at McDonalds and KFC once or twice a week, as well as China's take on fast-food, which can be cheaper than most restaurants (a large order of fries, an order of chicken popcorn, two chicken tenders = 20 RMB or 3 USD).

Normally, I just eat at these two places nearby. One specializes in noodles (soups, really) and the other sells everything (except for noodles, really). Typically for breakfast I buy two meat buns from this meat bun chain (small little store that is just a counter) and have a bowl of porridge with pork (from this sort of buffet place). Two buns costs 3 RMB and the bowl of pork porridge costs 5 RMB.
>>
>>1159445
>>1159449
I wish I had known all this a few weeks ago. I just remembered I was offered a position teaching in a university in Shanxi for $1200 a month. I turned it down thinking of the higher offers I found for public schools and kindergartens. I think I should have taken it.
>>
>>1159207
How is the dating market in Korea for a White man? I was considering teaching there, but I've heard the xenophobia can be pretty bad, and I don't want to go without a GF for any extended amount of time, which is making me consider China instead.
>>
>>1159459
Big cities you'll have no issues finding a lady.

Be proactive, go to pubs n shit. I found online dating/tinder is better at finding a western girl but some koreans use it too.

Plenty speak English and personally I've never seem negative xenophobia. It's supposedly from the older folks anyways.

Small cities you're more inclined to find a wife-type. So I'd recommend a big city(Seoul/Busan) for what you're looking for.
>>
>>1159460
So what are considered first tier versus second tier cities in Korea? Also, how is the gym scene there? I've been a powerlifter in college, and I really want to keep my routine going. Are there any gyms where people aren't going to be freaking out when I'm deadlifting ~500 lb?
>>
>>1159461
Gyms are expensive $70+ minimum. A lot of machines. Some don't have squat racks. They will always freak out if you're deadlifting anything more than 2p8. Deadlifting is something i rarely see for koreans. Or weighted squats for that matter.

Not sure about Tier cities or anything.
I've been to Seoul, Busan, Changwon, Geoje, Gimhae and i live in Tongyeong. I've gone on dates in all but Seoul but Busan is my favorite city. Everything else is just extremely similar and can get boring quick.

Really beautiful countryside and hiking trails in the small cities if you're into that. I highly recommend the Tongyeong islands too. Bijindo, Saryangdo, someimuldo are all real neato.
>>
>>1159463
So, they'll ask you to stop deadlifting if you're lifting more than 2 pl8 : - ( ?
>>
>>1159466
I've never been asked to stop deadlifting at my gym but I've seen others that don't allow it.

I just mean koreans will be surprised that you're able to lift 2plates. The grand majority of korean men that I've seen have thin legs. Honestly i see women with thicker legs more often than not.

You'll see some jacked koreans sometimes but it's really a small demographic. Also if you take protein powder they'll think you're an elite body builder.
>>
>>1159135
Europe likes to hire eu nations then other Europeans so you will be at a huge disadvantage
Mostly have to do programs that will cost more than you make a month and the pay is disgusting (450-650euros a month)
>>
File: 57cd87231700006429c77a0b[1].jpg (203KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
57cd87231700006429c77a0b[1].jpg
203KB, 630x420px
>>1159559
I have heard of more than one American teaching in Spain. Example here: >>1159227

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/why-moving-abroad-can-be-the-professional-shift-youve_us_57cd828ae4b06c750ddb151f
>>
>>1158485
>i decided "fuck it, i've been here this long, might as well make a career out of it".

Is there really any long-term potential in that career? Are you able to save for retirement?
>>
File: 1473373227392[1].jpg (702KB, 1600x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1473373227392[1].jpg
702KB, 1600x1800px
>>
>>1159602
If you seriously think like that you don't belong on /trv/. Enjoy slowly becoming a bitter, remorseful, old man.
>>
>>1159689
What if I'm a non-handsome manlet, though? IS THERE HOPE
>>
>>1159690
Do I not belong on /b/ because I don't want to jerk off on my sisters toothbrush?

Do I not belong on /s4s/ because I don't take medication?

Do I not belong on /a/ because I have a girlfriend?

Some travelers like having a home dude.
>>
>>1159690
>wanting to save for retirement means you are not meant to travel
>>
>>1158246
You simply can't blow off your first job the moment you get it dude. You need to pay your dues and while unhappy plan your next move. Use a job transition to spend a few weeks somewhere "while you move" or "take a class" or some crap, basically delay the new job and travel instead. But, you don't quit a job to travel without the next upward move lined up and you don't quit a job quickly either.
>>
I'm twenty years, only barely getting into the setup phase for a career(computers), but I have an excellent vernacular. I was thinking of teaching english abroad. Sounds easy(relatively), sounds fun.

I am moving from BC to Calgary soon. Maybe a year or two from now I'll just go to Korea or something.

Advice?
>>
>>1159738
>Advice?

Yes. "Vernacular" is an adjective, not a noun.
>>
>>1159750
It can be a noun, as in "to speak in the vernacular."

It is not synonymous with "vocabulary," of course.
>>
>>1159750
Vernacular can be a noun. It is, like, the special words or quirks found in a region or dialect. For example, in the Midwest people drop the g, so you have good mornin'. That's the vernacular of the Midwest.
>>
>>1159602
Well, in the United States there is a huge ESL community. If you want to do ESL, there are public schools, language mills, universities. All of these (aside from language mills) require qualifications (i.e. a Master's / EdD / state license), but you need all of these things anyways if you want to make more than 40k a year.
>>
Hi guys. I received an offer for 7k RMB to teach in a university for 16-18 hours a week. Housing and utilities are included. I really have no way knowing whether this is a good offer or not. Is 7k good for Shanxi province; would I be able to save any of it? I've only taught in a public high school in Asia so I'd also love to know what I can expect in a university setting.
>>
>>1160059
I hate these questions. We have no idea what kind of lifestyle they live. People in Poland save when they only make $300 a month. Why wouldn't you?
>>
>>1159034
>$500 spending money in eastern poland is pretty good, locals have to move west for that kind of money

Plus big ol' Polish tiddies.
>>
I'm from Australia
>So my accent might have already tucked my chances...
I have a BA in History and English
>Wanted to be an animator but got told to get a real degree which, obviously, I failed kek
And Honours in TESOL just last year.

BUT!

The catch is I'm 28yo so should I just forget even trying it out for a year?

I value my time more then money, dislike high humidity, have tutored before, don't want to go to Middle East until it has simmered the duck down, and I do HEMA and browse /fit/.

Asian Options:
>Jappon
>Sorea
>Maybe further SE if I can bang big tittied locals occasionally? I have a dream to have a humongously breasted Asian gf, just like in my anime.
>Mongolia, but it was below third-world tier when I visited last...

Europe Options:
>Netherlands
>Finland
>Poland (Gdansk specifically)
>Khazakstan
>>
>>1159114
you have to be a certified teacher in your home country first.

>become a teacher in your home country
>teach for 1 to 2 years
>get a much higher paying job in international schools abroad

don't waste your time with TEFL
>>
Anyone have any experience teaching in Indonesia? I have a friend that knows some people that own a private school there so I'm talking to them for a job. After the holiday, I should learn details. If this doesn't work I'll go with EF China.

Then I'd like to check out Jordan and maybe after try to go to wherever I can get paid the most. I'm Muslim hence my choice of countries.
>>
>>1160387

I'm 27 year old brit who has a BSc in Biochem and did his CELTA last year. I have approx 1 year experience teaching in UK and have blagged my way to landing a job in Saudi. If you can, go for the middle east. The money is a lot better there. You will be saving a lot of money and be able to travel to places in the far east due to the amount of holidays given.

However, and this is some srs advice to all TEFL teachers out there, the industry is starting to dry up. I know many people highly qualified than myself, with x years of teaching experience, MA in applied linguistics or TEFL and even a DELTA and yet they are either getting low wage or finding it hard to get a suitable position, even in the Middle East, a place where the money should be. Then you have non-native speakers, some who are more qualified than native speakers these days. Add them to the mix and things are starting to get very competitve. It's a good thing many employers want native speakers, otherwise many of us would be fucked.

The best advice I got from many long term English teachers is to become a licenced teacher. So do your PGCE if you can (or equivalent if you are not a britfag). This opens up a lot of doors for you, all from international schools of a good reputation. The salary, benefits and working conditions are a lot better as well. I know that STEM subject teachers are in wide demand at the moment as there is not enough of them. Plus I heard that the bursary for doing your PGCE ( something like 20-25k) may be taken away in the next few years, so get on it as quick as you can. After becoming a licenced teacher you can teach in an international school on a full time basis and in your spare time teach English as private tuition. Most people who pay for this are rich families and are willing to pay a lot of money for an hour or so.

The TEFL bubble is starting to burst. Be wise and invest in your future.
>>
>>1161221
Your advice is nice and i appreciate your post but people said the ESL bubble was gonna burst 10 years ago man. I'd say it's the opposite. It's continuing to grow and it's not gonna get worse in the near future.

Jobs have high turnover and there's always an influx of youngblood college grads that want to pay off their loans and travel. There's always gonna be parents who want a better future for their kid so they're willing to pay for English classes.

Maybe I'm not understanding you, what would happen if a "burst" would happen? What does that even mean?
>>
>>1161228

I'm judging the TEFL industry off of the Middle East, as that's where most of the money is to be made. If you want to just travel and live ok-ish, yeah the TEFL bubble is alive and kicking. You can go to the Far East or even Europe for that. If you want to make and save money to pay off loans and debts or set you up for life, that's when things are starting to burst. Wages there are a lot lower to what they were years ago. For example, I'm going to Saudi to teach for a university and get paid £2000 a month for that. To me that's a decent amount of money but to others who have been working in Saudi for a some time, that's really low. Nowadays, in order to make that kind of money people were making years ago when teaching in the Middle East you would need an MA in TEFL/applied linguistics or a DELTA and 5+ years experience. But if you have a PGCE and a few years experience, you would make a whole lot more.

And that's just Saudi. The other gulf countries hardly recruit for English language teachers and prefer QTS teachers. This is what I mean about the TEFL bubble bursting. If you're a johnny backpacker who's looking to teach on a cheap tefl cert and travel about on low wage, that's fine. If you're someone who's looking to make either a career or do something meaningful in the field of teaching, tefl teaching isn't the way to go.

Lastly, nowadays there are many people from non-English countries employed as English teachers because they are cheap. For example, filipino teachers, egyptian/arab teachers, indian teachers etc. This drives down the standard for English teachers and thus drives down the wage. It's getting harder to find a reputable English school or company that has good standards and isn't some guy who's opened a school out of the back of an office building.

tl:dr - tefling is fine if you're ok with travelling and earning low money. It is not fine if you're thinking of future plans. There really isn't a future in tefling.
>>
>>1161230
I learned a lot and I appreciate your explanation. Thanks.

I'm currently in Korea. I want to work in international schools in the future as a career. I'd be going back to school another 2 years for my masters though.

Obv I'm doing esl at the moment but I'd like to get a math endorsement. Any tips to score the comfy nice gigs as a young blood? I'm 23 now with 2 years esl teaching experience.
>>
Hello. I guess I'll probably fuck up something in this post since I'm not very knowledgeable about teaching abroad, but I'll be really grateful for any advice and responses.

Basically I'm in my senior year of high school and I really want to get to teach in a foreign country for at least a year. Thing is I'm not a native English speaker, though I can speak it fluently and am willing to take up on any kind of certificate( I can also speak French decently if it makes a change. I'm from SE Europe so I want to know what are my options:
- Are there any positions to go for immediately after I leave high school?
- Are there any positions to go for immediately after I finish a Bachelor's Degree, since I'm not a native speaker?

I don't have issues working in a less affluent nation, anything goes except states where I'm in life-threatening danger( or have to find my own housing or some other bullshit like that)
>>
>>1161230
I have to disagree with you on this. There is a future in TEFL teaching because of what you described. Masters in linguistics should be what you are aiming for before you go to the middle east to make proper money the 5+ years experience is what makes you a great teacher.

There's no future if you are an idiot who doesn't take the job seriously and think you can just do a week course and stroll into a high paying job. Asia is for those people to mess about for a few years. The middle east and its money should be for people who take the job seriously.
>>
>>1161617

I know many people with an MA in linguistics/DELTA and 3+ years experience who have jobs in the middle east and are getting slightly more money than I am. Some are getting the same. There are talks that next year the wages will further decrease as it has done so. Lots of companies are going bust. Trust me, Tefl teaching in the middle east will soon have no future. And evenue if you do have a MA/delta you won't be able to teach in your home country if your not licensed. The bubble is starting to burst.
>>
File: Soon....jpg (72KB, 479x558px) Image search: [Google]
Soon....jpg
72KB, 479x558px
I think this might be the thread I've been looking for.
>Be me 23 loser that hasn't had any real desire for additional schooling after high school.
>Recently decide that I need to do something with my life other than work retail.
>Have always had a longing for travel. Love anime, otaku culture, asian chicks (weeb yeah yeah).
>Look into TEFL. Sounds like something that I'd want to try or even make a career of if I enjoy it.
It looks like from what I've seen that I need to hold at least a BA to be considered to teach. Are there any majors that I could take that would make me stand out at all? Also, does age matter that much to foreign companies?
>>
>>1161590
In terms of a full time job, you basically have no options. No one is going to take an 18 year old kid non-native speaker with no degree when native speakers with degrees willing to TEFL are a dime a dozen.

If you're not worried about full time or country maybe there's some kind of opportunity for you but I don't know what it would be.

>>1161623

There's never been a "bubble" to begin with in the Middle East. It's always had higher requirements.

>>1161666
Probably bait with the "love anime and Asian chicks" thing, but if it's really not, no-- major does not matter. Some places like English or Linguistics degrees (which is pretty silly, but hey)--when I left for Korea's GEPIK thing back 2012 (the last year before the massive cuts) they forced everyone to take an online TEFL course at least unless you had an English or Linguistics BA. But really, it doesn't matter. And your university doesn't matter either. They don't really care about where you went. Just have the bachelor's.

I can only speak to Korea and Japan, but no, age doesn't matter generally. Places generally have an age limit, but it's usually quite high, like in your 50s or something.
>>
>>1161221
>>1161230
>>1161623
>1160387 here
Thanks for your insights m8.
I guess that settles it. This is the third time I've heard something similar.

I have lived, for all my life, in a teeny-tiny little shithole state, in the same tiny city. The economy here is done for; people my age and younger are just leaving with zero pla of what to do but knowing that a risk anywhere else is better than the quagmire of under-employment here.
I had just hoped that maybe I could explore and experience another country for a year or two, just something to look forward to rather then heading down to the job centre to report, or the recruit agency saying there's another casual sandwich artisan position open an hours drive away.
I just wanted t feel as though I had done something independent at least once in my 20's, but I guess I might as well just accept that I'm going to be going back to uni over and over to retrain for jobs that don't really need you unless it suits them.

If anyone here is reading this, don't waste your 20's. DO panic, DO let those feelings of quiet desperation flood over you, it's your body's way of telling you something is wrong.

Welcome to 2017. Achieve or die.
>>
>>1161736
What are you talking about m8? If you want to experience another country for a year or two, go teach abroad, who cares if you don't save enough to buy a house once you're bored with it? Not sure if you're the guy who said he doesn't have a degree, but there are places willing to hire people without them; most that I've seen are in South America and SEA. If you do have a degree, you have even more options.

I finished uni and laughed at the suggestion of selling myself for any wage and the idea of teaching abroad appealed to me. I taught in SEA now going to China in a few weeks to teach in a university. I am under a comical weight of student loan debt, I have barely any money saved up, and my degree offers me absolutely no security, yet despite all this I am quite content. You might call me imprudent or an idiot, but I am sure all that I have seen and done while abroad has shaped me into the man I am now; sure I can no longer relate to the people I studied with, who are unchanged from when I studied with them, but I feel like I am living my life, as opposed to following some handbook that assures only a mediocre existence. But that isn't to say I'm not imprudent and an idiot.

tl;dr: I think you are better off sitting within that bubble when it bursts than living with remorse stifling your spirit.
>>
>>1161736
Lol you're taking it way too seriously man.

You sound like a herald of doom.

Go out, do fun shit AND prepare for your future. Moderation in all things friend.
>>
>>1161736

Hey mate, its the guy you responded to.

Look, my posts intention wasn't to scare people off. It was to give people real information on what is considered the future of tefl teaching. I said that I personally don't believe it has a future and the bubble it has created is starting to burst. But that doesn't mean you can't take advantage of this situation. If you still want to explore and experience another country for a year or two, then you should definitely go for it and teach English abroad. It's cheaper than going on holiday. Go do your CELTA and start applying to jobs in countries you are interested in. Hopefully after those two years or so you would have a better understanding of whether you want to carry on or change career paths.

I was in a similar situation as you. I live in a small shithole town in the UK where unemployment rates are very high and most people are working minimum wage jobs. I had a well paying job but was unhappy. I felt my life had no purpose and I lost control, stressing over my future. I decided to give TEFL teaching a try; I was always interested in teaching but thought I didn't have the ability to do so. How wrong I was. I taught for a year and really enjoyed it to a point that I could see teaching as a viable career. I went abroad to check out the countries that I wanted to work in, spoke to lots of English teachers and got more or less the same answers: work on your exit plan. Trust me, you don't want to be a lifer (someone who's been in the TEFL game for such a long time that they've either gone crazy, succumbed to alcoholism or in loads of debt/have no money) and you don't want to go back home without having anything set up (I don't think most employers like tefl teaching on a CV, mainly because it's hard to get a reference).

if you want to teach English abroad just for travelling, go ahead, it's the best option.

If you want to teach English abroad as a career, it's not a wise long term decision
>>
>>1161819
This guy... what are you talking about?

First off, what is TEFL teaching? Teaching ESL is a real profession with very low stress because of the students you have. If you want to have a career in ESL, you are doing wonderful things to your resume going abroad to teach. When you return home, you can get your license and teach at public schools, or you can teach at a university or a business without one.

Maybe ESL and TEFL teaching are two different things, but the need for ESL teachers is growing rather shrinking. Its a growth market, at least in the United States.
>>
>>1161820

Mate i'm from the UK. You need to be a licensed teacher to teach in any school or university there. That means to do 1 year for PGCE and 1 year for QTS.

Also, I mean TEFL/ESL teaching when I said tefl teaching. The teaching is an obvious typo.

Places like the US will have a growth for ESL teachers, heck there are some places in the UK as well, but it's not the best paying jobs. When theres less regulation and standardisation and more schools being opened by anyone who has no idea about how to run a school or even teach English, that tells you the future of ESL teaching.
>>
>>1161722
I'm not really looking for full-time or staying for long, just that I've decided it will be a good thing to do at this point, regardless of how long I stay there.
>>
>>1161852
I suppose the problem with you is that in the UK there is no ESL program in schools, and when I say schools, I mean elementary schools/grade schools/middle schools/high schools. Public institutions of learning. In the United States, we have ESL teachers at public schools. The need for teachers of ESL has skyrocketed over the years, and right now, there is a shortage of teachers. I even read an article today from NPR about the problem two minutes ago.

The future of ESL is a standardization of ESL. As countries become more diverse, you will see more businesses catered to these communities. You can already find "schools" that teach children math and science all over the place. The teachers are college students and other bottom-of-the-barrel candidates. After school places where parents dump their children, so their kid can get from a 70 to an 80 in science. This has been the norm for a while. Before this was not profitable for ESL since there was no demand for it, but now there is.

The future is ESL will require the same level of professionalism and qualification as anything else. Right now we have "teachers" who graduated from college with an Art Degree and spent 120 hours in a room over a month, and they go off to teach English. That is unnatural, and that is unsustainable.
>>
I see a couple recomendations that stem teachers are in demand. Is that mostly for math? I have a bachelors in cyber security and 6 years work experience. Is there need for entry level computer basics, programming, math/crypto or anything pertinent or would it all be a waste of time searching for a job like that.

I would be interested in just being a TEFL since money isnt my main focus and its mainly just for a more laid back life on a beach. But english is one of my weaker subjects so i feel id be doing as disservice by just teaching english
>>
>>1160411
In what country do teachers get paid shit because my mom has been teaching for 40 years and gets fuck all in the states.
>>
Is it safe to teach English in Mexico? I see a lot of jobs in Mexico, but I am scared I will be killed by the cartels.
>>
>>1158246
Anyone with experience in Vietnam? I would appreciate some insight.
>>
>>1161852
I have taught ESL in England with no teaching licence. It only pays 24k a year but if you really want to move back to that shithole of a country to teach ESL is a perfectly valid option.
Stop scaremongering about your own profession because your progress has stalled. Hell as an english person you can get into BC. Thats a good fucking job right there.
>>
I'm not a native speaker, but I have a uni degree in English Language and Culture and I'll have an MA in Editing and a CELTA by the time I'm done with everything.
Will there be good jobs for someone like me in Asia? Specifically looking at Japan, Korea or China.
Also, does anyone know if English-language editors (for magazines, publishers, etc) are something in Asia? Are there any jobs in that field?
>>
>>1161736
Jesus. Just kill yourself already.
>>
>>1158246
>Do you shout at foreign kids for a few hours a week then go spend your money

I do that that for free mate
>>
>>1158346
>arrive at 2:15pm and finish at 10pm

what kind of fucking schedule is this holy shit
>>
Is the social stigma of being an English teacher as bad as people say it is, or is it just a meme? I'm really interesting in teaching in east Asia for a year or two, and I want to know if everyone I meet is going to think I'm some fuckboy loser.
>>
>>1162354
avoid cartel controlled provinces then people do it often even blacks and they are fine
>>
>>1163622
bumping for this
>>
>>1163535
Ever heard of hagwons?

I actually just changed my schedule. My first class starts at 3:40 and my last class finishes at 10:40.

On Fridays i don't have my TOEFL classes so i finish at 8:40.

I fucking hate mornings so it's pretty nice to be honest.

What's your work schedule?
>>
>>1163728
Not the anon you replied to, but how is the pay/general life of a hagwon ELT?
>>
>>1163622

It depends. If you're teaching English with plans to go into teaching as an actual career, then no, it's a wise decision. If you're teaching English just to travel about but have no plans to do anything of the sort long term, it may cause issues when you decide to get a 'real' job i.e. reference issues. Also, a lot of employers don't tend to look at it favourably and would think of you as some cop out who did a few years babysitting some kids.
>>
>>1163732
Sure. I'm the same anon here >>1158346
This isn't a common job in Korea but they do exist. Most hagwons will be standard classroom setting with great variance in quality(either really good or really shit).

I work later but other hagwons(kindergarten) will start at 9am.

I have my mornings and afternoons free so i end up going to the gym, video chats with family, buying groceries, playing in the PC bangs, etc.

Work itself is busy but like I said, low stress and little prep required. My first 5 classes are self-study storybook classes.~10 students I "interview" students ~5 minutes and occasionally check up on the other students. My last 2 classes are TOEFL prep classes where it's more of a traditional classroom setting but less than 6 students usually.

My night life is sometimes grabbing late night grub with some other teachers late night and visiting Busan most weekends. You'll go crazy if you teach in a small city and stay there all the time, at least for me. Be active.

My recommendations? Do a lot of research. Learn all the red flags of a contract. Value yourself. Don't pick the first job that you accept(unless it's a great position). Make sure it's a good location. Close to a nice city. Make sure your boss is cool and treats teachers well. If he's traveled abroad he's more likely to be more understanding of western working culture.
>>
>>1163825

How about in-country? How are esl teachers viewed by the average person is east Asia?
>>
>>1164142
East Asia is a huge demographic. Can you get more specific?
>>
>>1164284
South Korea or Japan. Particularly the larger cities.
>>
File: charman.jpg (111KB, 442x221px) Image search: [Google]
charman.jpg
111KB, 442x221px
>>1164448
Young people will probably like you. Old people might like you. Speak their language a bit and they'll like you more. Eat a lot and compliment their food amd they'll like you even more.

You're making a comfortable middle class wage and everyone has a general idea of how much money you're making.

Due to Confucian principles, teachers are respected more but usually the native English teacher is supposed to be "fun".

Look at this comic for a humorous but dangerously accurate view of what happens to white guys in these countries.
>>
>>1158554
If you're still here, afaik it's very difficult to find a legitimate job anywhere besides SEA. My Hungarian friend teaches in China but he's on a business visa. My native English-speaking British friends w/ Chinese heritage even had a little bit of trouble because they weren't white.
>>
>>1158554

There are Indian and Filipino teachers in the Middle East, typically at those schools. What is your native language?
>>
now I know it's a bit of a vexed question, but how do you go about teaching english without a batchelors?

I intend to take a 3 month+ TEFL course and my english skills are strong to say the least; however I am unsure how to go about landing an honest job in a school, and which visa to apply for

do I get a fake bachelors and get a working visa?
or do I get a tourist visa and just work cash in hand?
people I know are doing it currently, but it's hard for me to judge the odds

I would prefer working in a more rural area, I live in the country so it's honestly my preference

I hear some illegal workers end up having serious difficulty, seems more often than not with the employer as opposed to the immigration authorities
>>
>>1164652

Most places require a bachelors degree for visa purposes. Therefore it is quite difficult to get an ESL job without one. However, some places tend to bend the rules a little. These places are in the Far East, such as China, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Burma etc. But be aware, the jobs that do bend the rules are often the shady and dodgy jobs that treat employees like crap. Usually they get you on a tourist visa and have you do visa runs when the tourist visa is near the expiration date. It's not legal, but a lot of countries in this area do it. The difficulties of getting caught is that you may not get your wages and will be asked to leave immediately.

Watch this video about someone teaching the wrong visa in Thailand. Also, people who are interested in teaching in Asai (Japan especially) should also watch it. Someones real life experience of teaching English abroad and how he already wants to come home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5bbFfhdUtA
>>
>>1164655
well that's a warning I've heard before

it's very frustrating that a BA is used arbitrarily as a benchmark for visas, the demand for english teachers is still huge in many countries and schools are crying out to lowed the qualification requirements because it's hard for them to afford to pay the kind of money that would attract and retain many people with a western BA

in many countries high level study is available outside of university, through technical colleges or private providers
while at the same time many western universities have government sponsored places in some courses, and will give a BA in arts to anyone prepared to sign the form just so they can net more funding

I was wondering if a fake degree would work
would anyone actually check?
>>
>>1164790
I'm probably going to get yelled at for posting this but I have a friend who flew to Thailand after he graduated high school, bought a fake degree and TEFL cert on Khao San RD. (forestry lol) and has been working in China trouble-free for years on it.
>>
>>1164796
see I figured it would work out OK

the school might want to know if you have a degree, but when you are already working for them and have proven you can do the job they would be more inclined to take a risk on you

and for the chinese immigration, checking a visa is easy; but checking the authenticity of documents must be a lot more time consuming
so someone with a visa+fake BA would I imagine attract a lot less scrutiny that someone working on a tourist visa

so your mate got a fake TEFL as well?!
I have to ask, how did he get the skills to teach?
was he just a low pay low skill teacher?

I was going to take a serious 3-6 month TEFL, so I'm ready to teach
>>
>>1164829
It honestly doesn't take much skill to teach English to elementary/middle school students as long as you aren't a complete introvert. The first few classes can be tough, but you get the hang of it pretty quickly. You progressively get better as you find what students respond to best. I also study Chinese and I would much rather have a teacher that kept me interested and entertained in the language than one who knows the grammar better but is completely dull.
>>
>>1164842
thanks for sharing

how are your classes graded, do you work curriculum towards standardized tests?

I'm also a bit apprehensive about taking a class of students when I don't speak any Chinese
still not sure the best way to improve my chinese skills, since I won't have time for classes
>>
>>1164845
An important thing to remember is that every job is different. Even if you work for a chain school, one school may do things one way, and your school will do things differently. Personally, I occasionally correct student journals, workbooks, and written tests. I always give them the oral test at the end of the semester. I have 23 different classes, and each class gets an hour a week with me. The rest of the time they have a Chinese teacher.
Start learning the language as soon as possible. The earlier the better. It makes life much easier. Spend a couple hours a week with language exchanges at least. You'll improve your Chinese and probably meet your future girlfriend
>>
does this only work in asia and mid east? how about europe?
>>
>>1158978
100k? really? could I get some more details please? Electrical engineering degree here, I was always planning on teaching English but your comment piques my curiosity
>>
I noticed that TEFL required a $600 deposit to begin coursework before employment in whatever country.

Is there any option where I don't have to pay before employement.

I have a Bachelors (biology), at a good university school in California

>what do
>>
>>1165194
what do you mean?

the TEFL course required a deposit?
or an actual job required a deposit?
>>
>>1165197
course training. after you apply to TEFL the email will ask for a deposit
>>
>>1165202
sounds like a scam

you give them a deposit, then they just run away

you know what a deposit is right?
it's surety for something you borrow, what are you borrowing?

throw me a link if you want and I'l check it out
>>
File: IMG_0098.jpg (561KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0098.jpg
561KB, 1280x1280px
>>1165203
>>1165194

Well regardless its a shitty idea to pay that much to teach abroad so i'm not interested. I really just want to go to Japan and earn some money to enjoy Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo, etc.

Any other companies you would recommend, /r/teachinginjapan recommends companies such as ECC, AEON, and Kohgakusha

I'm a complete noob btw so any advice would be awesome
>>
>>1164790
>>1164796

Just saying for your info. China added a new policy last semester that teachers now have to get their degrees apostilled or whatever the thing is called where you get an organization to recognize it as real.

I am sure you might be able to work there illegally but the conditions will be absolute shit and your employer will dock your pay over random stupid shit.

I never did it myself as I have a degree already, but I heard a lot of fucked up stories from people who were faking it there.
>>
>>1158346
Pardon my asking, but what can your pay actually buy?
>>
>>1165471
Can you be more specific with your question?

The average salary in korea is 2.1mil per month. It's basically~2000 dollars depending on how the exchange rate goes. Korea has cheap eating if you buy korean style dishes, more expensive if you buy western style. You can buy a fake t-shirt for $5 in Nampodong, Busan or the real one for $30 in a department store. Buses are $1 per use typically. Utility bills are similar price as they are in the west.

If you occasionally party on the weekend and go shopping every once in a while saving 50% of your paycheck isn't unreasonable.

Did that answer your question?
>>
>>1158571
hey friend I have a BS in physics and math as well and I just signed a contract to go teach in SK the other day. Leaving in a few weeks. Finding a job wasn't very difficult, just get your documents in order first (passport and apostilled diploma copy and fbi background check) and get a 120 hr TEFL cert. The certificate helps a ton.
>>
>>1160059
8k is the lowest and thats for people with no qualifications. i have celta.. and nothing else and im asking, and getting offered, like 12k minimum a month. with housing.
>>
>>1165874
Teaching English, I assume?

My only concern is "wasting" time on TEFL for a job that isn't guaranteed. I guess that's the price to pay if you're not completely sure you want to do something.
>>
>>1158554
I mean, they prefer people who looks English, but as long as you know how to pronounce words correctly, you're fine. Have an accent? Fix it.
>>
I really want to do this a few years down the road. Is it possible to go to Japan or Korea to teach English at an actual school if English is not your native language?

I have a neutral American accent and I've always been good with languages. I easily pass of as a native whenever I am in the US and faking an English accent isn't hard.
>>
>>1168131
Read the thread.
>>
Can you purchase a fake TEFL cert and use it to put yourself on the higher pay scale? I would go through with the course, but I am poor....
>>
As a couple of quick questions:
The BA requirement gets posted a lot, do people actually mean a Bachelor or Arts degree? or can I use my BSc?
and
How long of a TEFL course should i be looking at to get started? The local TEFL school offers courses from 20 hours online, to 3 days (9AM until 6PM) in a classroom to 200 hours online with 20 hours in a classroom.
What should i be looking at to get a good grasp of teaching english?
>>
>>1159738
blonde guy in the picture looks just like me.

mfw i browse /pol/ and an anti feminist/sjw and it makes cucks cry.
>>
Where will teaching English get me laid?
>>
>>1168524
I believe a B.Sc is fine, they just mean 4-year undergraduate degree.
>>
>>1169085
Yes. Do it.
>>
Alright, so I've decided that I'm going to go through with this at the end of this year when I graduate college. I've always wanted to travel, and I don't have enough money saved, so I'm going for it.

And now I have a decision to make. I'm either going to go to China or Korea. My question is, which should I go to?

A couple criteria:

1. Where will I make more money and be able to save more? I'm hoping to save ~10k to travel the following year.

2. Where will the people be more friendly? AKA, where will I have the best social life? Which country will be better for me to meet people and make friends. Both expats and locals?

3. Where are the gyms and food better?

4. Where are the girls more friendly? I want to get into another LTR while I'm there, so I want to go somewhere where there are good girls.

5. Where will I have the most freedom? The less hours I have t work, the better.

6. Which country is more interesting and beautiful? I want to take weekend trips around the country while I'm there, so the more natural beauty, good night life, etc, the better
>>
I don't have a uni degree, but I have a lot of experience in government jobs. Is it possible to still get an esl job somewhere? I'm also fluent in French.

I don't care if the pay is shit and the hours are long, I don't care if it's not prestigious or even legal.mWhere can I look for jobs hiring native English speakers no questions asked, or under the table? Would it be better to already be in the target country? Can I just go into schools or businesses with a business card and offer English training sessions?

Really, I would like to teach in Russia... But if I need prior experience, I don't care where it is.
>>
does having a Fine Arts or Liberal Arts degree make any difference in applying for Korean or Japanese school jobs? yeah yeah its probably useless compared to a physics degree. But its what I chose to do when I was an optimistic 20 year old wanting to be an art historian / ethnologist
>>
>>1170169

From what I understand, the degree is mostly just for the visa. They don't really care unless it's something like education or linguistics.

Just speak and wtite English well.
>>
>>1170172
>From what I understand, the degree is mostly just for the visa. They don't really care unless it's something like education or linguistics.

I was just going off the other guy in this thread who had a physics degree, since anons were saying they would like jobs for teaching science in english to koreans/japanese students
>>
>>1170172

>wtite

Oh, lad.

>>1170169

Anyway, this poster >>1170169 is right. Asian countries tend to be a little more conservative and so a degree is a good way to 'ensure' that you're educated and sensible enough. If they had no degree requirement, loads more people would apply and it'd certainly be hard to filter. Basically, it's a safety measure.
>>
I am first year engineering major. I have the opportunity to double major, and I want teaching in asia to be my backup plan.

Good idea?
>>
Just a disclaimer, not trying to race bait. What's the experience like for non-white folk? I've heard you're much more likely to get a job as a white dude/chick. People also always talk about how Asian countries are super racist but idk, I think most of it is just propaganda/dumb people. Would my experience be much different as a brown dude? (College degree, American, great English, etc)
>>
>>1170183
I'm not sure what the question is. Are you asking if you should double major in Chinese or education or something?
>>
File: fortune cookie.jpg (39KB, 792x531px) Image search: [Google]
fortune cookie.jpg
39KB, 792x531px
For those of you whose jobs don't provide you with lesson plans, where do you get your materials?

I'm looking for ESL lesson plans for teenagers and young adults.
>>
>>1170416
make take you longer than five seconds to find a job
Other Asians even find a harder time finding jobs but being american is a huge advantage and English is still very popular not enough teachers to fill the void
>>
Not sure where in China I'm going yet, but I am about to get a job in China teaching English (waiting for a follow-up, will check other programs if this falls through). Is it better to learn Mandarin or Cantonese? I was told I would most likely be in a T2 city on the coast or in the east.

Mandarin or Cantonese?
>>
>>1158485
>>1158346
That was really helpful anons. I'm planning to apply as a volunteer to one of those English schools in Busan, just for helping people practise their English. It doesn't pay anything but you get a place to sleep at and food and it's good enough for the time being as I just want to see how this whole thing works. Question is, is it possible for me to pick up from there and become an actual English teacher there ?
>>
>>1171925
How is this even a question, Cantonese is only useful in Guangdong and Hong Kong, and in both of those places, most people still speak Mandarin too, whereas in the rest of China you'd be constantly having difficulty finding someone to help you translate your Cantonese to Mandarin.
>>
I'm currently in the process of taking my TEFL course online. I was in college for a history degree (I know its a bad major), and I figured the only thing I can do with that would be to teach. Since I like to travel I figured I would get a TEFL and see how I like teaching before committing to history as my choice. Now I'm worried because I don't have a degree I won't be qualified in many places.

Also one of the main areas I want to see is Europe. I know that I'm definitely not qualified without having a degree yet, this would be a future trip. I've heard they favor EU citizens though. How hard would it be for an American to try and get a job in Italy, Spain, France, or Greece?
>>
Am I screwing up if I'm getting a TESOL certification instead of a TEFL one?
The TESOL program in my city is so much more convenient (and has staff to find a job for you).
Thread posts: 165
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.