[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Places you visited that have a bad rep, but you enjoyed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: coLVZq8.png (242KB, 424x444px) Image search: [Google]
coLVZq8.png
242KB, 424x444px
There are a handful of cities /trv/ shits on, but I enjoyed visiting

>Paris
Lots to do regarding history, art, and food. Beautiful city, although it is on the expensive side.
>Frankfurt
Not the best city, but I enjoyed my time here. Everything seemed super modern, which was a nice change of pace after seeing old buildings for my month before that. Super friendly people overall, but there are a lot of crackheads.
>Brussels
Dope city. Lots of people from all over the world, everyone is super friendly. Crazy good beer for cheap prices. The city is beautiful as well, but there are some places that are full of trash. Walkable enough, didn't use public transport while I was there.
>>
>>1157358
> Athens

Just great to walk around. Only 40mins tram and you're on the beach. The Acropolis and the other small hill right next to it are great

> Bratislava
Loved the atmosphere and clash between architecture (on one side of road you had a nice blue church, right on the other side an abandoned commie hospital). Everything is within walking distance. There's a cute little icecreamshop called Koune which has one of the top 10 best icecream in Europe.
Loved the people, everyone was friendly, especially the tour guide and the people at Blues Hostel.
Going out in the basement of the university was one of the top moments. I got ripped of for taxi to get back to the city though (15 euros instead of 5 but it was the only cab around at 5AM)

Such a shame that commies destroyed part of the old city
>>
Paris for sure.

Even without the immigrants and whatnot, i think people just get way too delusional with expectations.

Paris is a damn fine place.

Recent played bioshock infinite burual at sea part 2. If people expect paris to be like the start of that theyre retarded
>>
>>1157358
What's the cost of a pint of beer in Brussels?
>>
>>1157448
Forgot to add, Phnom Penh.

Rough around the edges but I had a good time and some great food there.
>>
>>1157358
Gulf/GCC states
>>
>>1157358
Nagoya, mostly unremarkable and I love that. A gateway to Kii peninsula, shirakawa, Nagano and KAnazawa. Love their miso udon
>>
>>1157358
Cleveland.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was awesome. And I went to an art and/or natural history museum that blew my mind.

Also stumbled upon some botanical gardens that were pretty cool to explore.

Made pals at some bar(s) that were a lot of fun. (I was traveling the East Coast alone.) And I got laid by a young QT.

Still wouldn't want to live there or stay very long, but it was a fantastic short visit.
>>
>>1157358
Somalia.

Not dangerous at all as long as long as you stay out of the interior in my experience. I was fine driving from Mogadishu (beautiful city btw) up the coast to Somaliland. Camping out in the desert was a great experience. The only sketchy experience I had was when a bunch of armed men in a truck stopped me, but when they saw I was a American they got much friendlier and even invited me to have tea with them! Underrated country IMO
>>
>>1157358
>but there are a lot of crackheads.
i have family just outside Frankfurt, so I've been there maybe 5 or 6 times, and didn't see one crackhead. I'm from toronto though, (homeless on every street) so maybe i'm just used to it
>>
>>1157486

your from toronto, so in other words you only go to bland normie areas like you are so used to so of course you never saw crackheads. why even comment or breathe for that matter you useless moron.
>>
>>1157489
>>1157472
/trv/, what's happened to you?
>>
File: 23570852953_040ce07bb2_k.jpg (891KB, 2048x1338px) Image search: [Google]
23570852953_040ce07bb2_k.jpg
891KB, 2048x1338px
Guatemala I guess but I stayed there for a short time.
>>
Warsaw is generally regarded as a shithole, but i found it very interesting and vibrant. Of course there aren't historic buildings, just don't expect generical european fairytale city centre.
>>
>>1157448
I remember paying 2 euro per pint at some random bar. Great beer too, don't remember what it was called tho.
>>
>>1157486
Go to the main train station and you'll find plenty. Most don't bother you though.
>>
>>1157372
Agreed on Bratislava. But honestly it goes for the whole of Slovakia. If I didn't make a friend there on the internet 10 years ago I probably wouldn't have visited it at all. But the whole country is amazing.

Slovenski Raj is a hiker's paradise. High Tatra is stunning. The view from Lomnicky Stit or the hikes around Strbske Pleso. The caves in the Low Tatra are beautiful. The Liberty cave and the ice cave next to it especially.

The food and the beer are cheap but delicious. Very good local dishes! There was a thread a while ago where a Slovakian guy listed some dishes and I had and loved almost all of his list.

The great spa's at Piestany deserve a mention too. Loved that.

Loved Bratislava too. The walks through the old city and along the Danube. The parks. And all the strange little event. From vegan barbecues to music events to small pubs where you'd end up with locals piss-drunk.

Overall the Slovakians were really friendly too. Easy to have a drink with and helpful. Even the ones that didn't speak English tried their best with hand gestures and showing me things to help me along.

Definitely an underrated country. When I was in High Tatra's last year I'd say 95% of the tourists are Slovak, Polish, Czech and Hungarian (aka neighboring countries). Very few westerners.
>>
>>1157526
This is how I felt about Frankfurt desu
>>
>>1157489
Are you implying that Toronto isn't infested with cracked out hobos everywhere?
>>
>>1157459
nobody shit talks Japan you weeb. The only bad thing about Japan is white weeaboos. Stick to your containment thread, please and thank you.
>>
>>1157358
Odessa

Everyone warned me that it was a corrupt, hellhole war zone but I went alone and it was quite nice.
>>
>>1157448
I live in Brussels.

A 'pint' is 25cl and you'll pay around 1.8 to 2 euros for a pils. Famous brands are Jupiler, Stella Artois, Maes,..
A stronger beer is around 2.5€ and is around 6-8% alcohol. Good ones are Chimay, Lachouffe, Triple Karmeliet,..

>>1157569
Agree m8. I'd like to just hang out around the country for a month by car. Shame that I have to work tho
>>
I honestly don't know how anyone could enjoy Paris. Graffiti, litter, smokers, bad drivers, beggars, and fucking scam artists everywhere. Pretty much some overcrowded Chinese city that is somehow as expensive as cities like London or NYC.
>>
>>1157358
>Pyongyang

Was actually pretty cool.
>>
Egypt, specifically Cairo and Aswan

Of course they're absolutely mad but once I got into the rhythm I actually ended up not minding the hassle or insane traffic of Cairo

Aswan was also surprisingly beautiful next to the Nile and what not.

On a lesser note, Norwich. My British friends told me it would be boring and full of inbreds but I loved it. Great beer and people were a lot friendlier than in other parts of Southern England.
>>
>>1158513
>Norwich

Inbred local reporting in. Interested as to why you came here? We're a bit out of the way really... Glad you enjoyed it though!
>>
Kansas was beautiful in a very unique unassuming way. Same with Wyoming. Kansas City had great bookstores and food and genuine working class neighborhoods that hadnt been fucked with gentrification yet. Also small town North Carolina surprised me with the open inviting culture and great food. For the reputation they have as backwards assholes, everyone I met mingled easily between whites and blacks and were friendly. Not that there arent ever issues but it definitely was not what my yankee stereotypes led me to believe.

Also, California outside of LA and Sacramento is almost entirely fucking beautiful. Seriously, driving up the coast was surprising, I assumed the state was badly overrated but I was so wrong. So much beautiful land.
>>
>>1159754
Racism is actually winding down in small-town America.
Try being LGBT in one of those small, North Carolina mountain towns.
Whole different ball of wax.
>>
>>1157358

How on earth does Paris have a bad reputation? The only people who talk trash about the city, from what I've gathered, is /pol/ memesters who mistook our board for /tv/.

Anyway:

>New Delhi

Most travelers I meet who go there hate the place. I spent a month and a half there on my first visit to India with my now ex-girlfriend, so I got to see and explore a lot of places that'd be off the radar for most folks. After we broke up, I've returned half a dozen times, made many friends, and feel like it's kind of a second home. Even Indians tend not to like Delhi very much, but what can I do?

>Iraq(i Kurdistan)

Specifically, Iraqi Kurdistan. I don't think it has a very bad reputation here on /trv/, but I constantly get hassled at the US-Canada border because of the stamp in my passport. A lot of other travelers, friends, and relatives are incredulous as to why I'd ever go there. Wasn't the most happening place, to be sure, but the locals were fantastically hospitable and kind.

>Serbia

Great nightlife in Belgrade and friendly locals. Spent a week there and have wanted to go back ever since.

>Colombia

Again, the sort of place that travelers enjoy but that some people still associate with FARC and Pablo Escobar. Wasn't the safest country I've visited but was hands-down one of the most enjoyable. I would have stayed longer were it not for my girlfriend, who convinced me to come back home rather than take a semester off to teach English.
>>
>>1159754
Kansas City is the jewel of the Midwest.

t. Transplant Bumpkin.
>>
>>1159875
Flint Hills fag here, absolutely lmao-ing are your post right now.
>>
>>1157358
Naples. There was actually something quite charming amidst all the garbage, crime, and gunshots. Like all that stuff is there, but it's also a really nice city somehow.
>>
>>1159760
Didnt some black dude in upstate NY get his familys house burnt down because he wouldnt quit the fucking volunteer fire department of all things?

But yeah generally I can see that.
>>
>>1159868
> How on earth does Paris have a bad reputation? The only people who talk trash about the city, from what I've gathered, is /pol/ memesters who mistook our board for /tv/.

paris is a very nice city for tourists but it's shit to actually live in and do business. I hate parisians so much
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3bos-z8Cng
>>
>>1158513
I moved from Vancouver to Norwich for a year and absolutely loved it. I would fly back to Europe just to visit Norwich if and when I have the money.
>>
File: crack euphoria.jpg (22KB, 560x361px)
crack euphoria.jpg
22KB, 560x361px
>>1157489
So you've never been to Toronto?

I've lived in Toronto my entire life and traveled to several major North American cities, and Toronto hands down had the highest number of crackhead freaks wandering the city. Most other cities have the balls to lock their freaks away in mental wards, but in the name of progressiveness and tolerance Toronto allows theirs to roam free, 'diversifying' the city as they please.
>>
>>1159760
to be fair, Asheville is a safe haven, and being gay is fine in any other small town in NC but the mountains. I know what you are talking about with ow the racism was out West. Had a friend in the early aughts who played football for Western Carolina. Dark midnight black fella. He was a star on campus and on the field, even with that it was a different story when he stepped off campus. Worse part was he was the type of dude that favored white girls. That didn't go over well.
>>
>>1161103
The guy who planted a bomb at the Atlanta Olympics and went on a shooting spree that killed a cop in Birmingham was some right wing nut from Western NC. Made him a local hero up there.
>>
File: roman segway.jpg (83KB, 429x600px) Image search: [Google]
roman segway.jpg
83KB, 429x600px
>>1161217
In other breaking news, did you know that Rome had a history of violently invading surrounding areas and enslaving people?
>>
>>1161244
Is this how /Pol/tards justify their believes?
>>
Paris is great - waiters are assholes though, even if you speak the language, but it's not confrontational, just snarky and passive aggressive.
>>
>>1161096
This. It's difficult to go for a walk longer than 5 minutes anywhere downtown and not run into a crackhead,
>>
Rural Morocco.

Chill people who make killer mint tea.
>>
>>1161567
since when is morocco considered a bad place to visit.
morocco , tunisia etc have always been considered greta places
>>
>>1161577
great places for getting shot and beheaded
>>
>>1157472
I heard of a guy who went to Somalia and got arrested because nobody believed he was there for tourism.
Also, Gunnar Garfors tells he got in a fight for front seat ther and won it, but the loser stayed on the backseat with a knife.
Beaches look beautiful on google.
>>
>>1161975
>got arrested
Not quite. IIRC they put him in a hotel and didn't allow him to leave (which, granted, seems a little like being arrested) and then they ushered him back on the first plane out.
>>
>>1159875
>Kansas City
Whoops. That's not Minneapolis.

Actually, JK. It sucks here. Everyone stay away.
>>
Kingston Jamaica. Im there right now. Fun as fuck.
>>
San Jose, Costa Rica
Everybody tells you to get out of the city as fast as possible. I actually stayed there with a host family for a month and Kind of enjoyed it. There was always something going on and I got to meet a lot of cool people. additionally I never felt uncomfortable although there are some rough places and crime Rates are quite high
>>
>>1161577
they were

but in the year 2016 every country is in so much social tension that even western ones are getting dangerous
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.