[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Climbing Fuji

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: TourImage-051_fuji_fuyu.jpg (169KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
TourImage-051_fuji_fuyu.jpg
169KB, 1024x683px
Hello /trv/, I want to climb mount Fuji this weekend.
I'm thinking to go at night and try to reach the top to see the sunrise. Here are my questions/concerns:
1. Is it dangerous for someone who has never climbed a mountain/experienced altitude sickness to climb alone? And to do it without staying in a cabin?
2. I want to pick up a walking stick and an air canister, would the stores at the 5th station be open at night?
3. The weather forecast it will be cloudy with thunderstorms this weekend. Is it too dangerous to climb?
>>
bruh, this is a travel board, not a climbing board. all this information can easily be found online
>>
1. no, but it might be tough, you just need to keep on going and take plenty of stops. When you time your trip smart enough and you can just keep on walking you will not need a cabin.
2. stores are always open but the stick way to expensive and you need to pay for every stamp at every station and the air canister is also over-expensive and just stupid.
3. I climbed with rain, it sucks and your body will cool down drasticly when you are not moving, bring rain clothing. Also the clouds will block the sunrise. And if it's to dangerous to climb you will probably be told by someone beforehand.
>>
Climbed during the night with freezing wind, showers and without any equipment. Was my first hike. Froze like a little bitch. Also, don't climb in running shoes with thin soles and kinda open cushion. Still made it...
Fucking sun was in clouds.
Whelp. Went down, lots of alcohol, was alright the next day. Riding the Shinkansen while wearing dirty, soaked clothes was kinda hazukashii.
>>
>>1157395
>>1157411
Thanks.
Yeah, I want to get a walking stick, because I heard its easier to climb with one. But I'm not planning on paying for a stamp at each station.
>>
hey there. i climbed fuji in july a few years ago. halfway up a storm blew in and i was one of about four ppl that made it to the top that day. when i got up there it was a howling gale so i hunkered down on my knees near another guy and i saw someone holding onto a pole blowing sideways like a flag. complete horror. i went down asap on the switchback in the blowing rains, tip toeing because the rubble path was impossible to walk in you just slid and i dodged falling boulders all the way. so be careful shit weather turns on a dime. also, fyi when japanese say they 'climbed' fuji that just means they went to lower stations for a look, nobody goes to the top -- and most dont go at all. you absolutely need a mountain walking stick do not go w/o one. yes some people stay in the huts but that is for pussies. in good weather you can go up and down in a day. down the switchback is 10x harder and longer than climbing up as it fuks yr knees up rolling on the gravel all the way down. so try to go down same way you went up. definately wear layers for cold and rain n take a big water bottle+snacks. again, good weather is different story than mine, so best of good luck.
>>
>>1157411

oh fuk yeah anon. i was soaked to the bone with mud all over alk the way back. the look of the people's faces at the desk at my hotel was hilarious. i peeled off my clothes and threw everything away. after i showered i collapsed and watched the japanese little league world series in bed for two days. i could hardly walk. it was fukd up but funny. i was glad i hung in there like a boss and did it tho. fuji sama tested my commitment to japan that day.
>>
>>1157047
I'm pretty sure the Fuji climbing season is only July and August. You should have went last weekend
>>
>>1157047
>Is it dangerous for someone who has never climbed a mountain/experienced altitude sickness to climb alone?

Not sure what this is saying -- but if you HAVE experienced altitude sickness, my understanding is that if you have experienced it , you are susceptible to experiencing it again.

Altitude SICKNESS, as opposed to just feeling effects of being at altitude, is not something you want to have hit you when alone.
>>
>>1157047
You should probably plan ahead a little better before going. Rent some basic equipment. Shoes, walking sticks, a big rucksack. Air canisters are useless. What you really need is water and some snacks.

Dunno about the weather. It was fine when I went. But the way up isn't that terribly demanding, so a little rain should be fine. Most of the people going to the top are old Japanese people after all. Anyone who isn't disabled should be able to do it. Though it'll be a challenge.

Remember that it's fucking cold at the top. Doesn't matter how hot it is on usual altitudes, it's always winter up there. At least in the early mornings. Bring a jacket.
>>
File: IMG_9665.jpg (4MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9665.jpg
4MB, 5184x3456px
>>1157047
OP here, I climbed it last night and was able to see the sunrise. The weather was pretty good except at night past station 7 was really cold.
I ended up checking into a cabin for an hour, because I didn't want to wait around at the top in that weather.

It wasn't too difficult, much easier than I expected, the walk down was a pain though.

Also I bought an air canister but never used it. The walking stick was a big help though.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.