[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Possibly being airbnb scammed, need help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: email instructions.png (192KB, 1233x989px) Image search: [Google]
email instructions.png
192KB, 1233x989px
I feel like I have literally nowhere else to turn to, but I'm really worried I am about to loose 500$ to this thing. I am trying to move to an apartment in NYC and I found a place that had a very nice price for where it was and what it included, but theres so many confusing things about this listing that I can't tell if its legitimate or not.

So when I first started communicating with this person about the apartment for rent they asked me for a photo of my drivers license because they needed to send it to the agent to confirm I am a real person, but they also sent me a photo of their passport which I am 100% sure is real. It looks like a clean scan off a copy machine, which I won't upload here because that would be messed up if it is a real person.

So after they asked for that they also said that they would like me to agree to the booking within 24 hours, because they want to be sure that it’s a serious inquiry on my part. They told me at that point that the whole transaction is going to be set up through airbnb, and they are technically the agent in this case. They sent me to a link from an email, but the link wasn’t directly to airbnb, it had a very strange extension I couldn’t find anywhere else on the website. The url starts with http://airbnb.com.entire-apartment.link/, and they continues with other subdomains and then a random code for the specific page for the listing. Also this domain is not a secure connection and is not encrypted, like the rest of the airbnb website is.
>>
File: payment page.png (247KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
payment page.png
247KB, 1680x1050px
Then there’s the thing that’s so crazy that I can’t help but think something is wrong here. The payment method that they specified on the email is through itunes gift cards. They host claims it’s because you need an id card to make the purchase of the gift cards, and that “a lot of properties are reserved this way now”, because they say someone once paid with a stolen credit card and it messed up their ability to host on airbnb for a while. The website to upload the codes is very odd as well, it doesn’t have security on it as well but it has one of those little “this is a secure website” stickers on the page. I’m uploading pictures of the email and the page that I am directed to for entering the gift card codes, I just wanted to know if anyone else had any similar experiences renting or booking anything like this ever? I tried google searching everything I can about this kind of transaction, whether it’s a common scam tactic or if it’s really a way things are done now, and I could not find a single thing saying one or the other. Does anyone see that there’s something that’s super obvious about this being a scam, or if they actually did things like this before and it makes sense?
>>
>>1156722
Of course it's a scam.
>>
>>1156724
Can you elaborate on that a little more? I mean I feel it is, but there's so many things that make me thing it might now be, I sent a message to airbnb directly through the main website with the invoice number and receipt number attached, and mentioned how I thought the url was weird. I'm hoping they get back to me really soon about it but I don't know how reliable their message center is.
>>
He wants you to pay with Itunes gift cards?? That sounds very sketchy to me. Maybe contact Airbnb support and tell them about whats going on. Does this person have reviews?
>>
>>1156728
They have a bunch of reviews on the site that had the strange url on it, I don't know if I could find them on the main site by searching something there.
>>
>>1156726
It's so obvious that I don't even know where to begin.
>>
Did you actually send the guy a copy of your driver's license? The passport scan is almost certainly one of the past victims, so if you sent the guy identifying information you have a good chance of becoming someone's false identity and potentially getting into hot water with law enforcement in the future.
>>
>>1156722
>>1156768
This desu, OP you've been gullible as fuck. Never ever send your identity docs to people over the internet or if it's someone you trust still black out all the information such as personal number and digitally stamp it with DO NOT COPY.

No one is allowed to make copies of your passport besides a few governmental organisations maybe.

I don't know which country your from but if you have the same driver's licenses as we do here you basically gave a person the bulk of info they need for identity theft.
>>
>>1156722
>>1156723
Ok, because there might be people here who are naive to actually go through with a transaction like this.

Paying with itunes gift cards is an easy way for scammers to get money and be hard to trace. Any gift cards really but itunes is most common because they're popular Basically the reason for this is that itunes giftcards are easy to sell to others, the $500 card can be sold for $400 in no time at all. They're very hard to trace as well because it's not like someone using your credit card to buy shit which banks could send investigators after. No one bothers with gift cards. These day as well with online giftcards these scammers can be the Prince of Nigeria or Jimbob in Arkansas and they probably have ads like this in 50-100 cities going at the same time.

This is one of the most basic ways to scam people while also being somewhat secure for the scammer. Once they have the gift card number you're shit out of luck.
>>
>>1156722
Top kek

You can't really be this stupid, right? What's the difference between paying with an itunes gift card vs a western union or a moneygram? It's untraceable and basically cash. The passport picture is a previous victim. The website airbnb.com.entire-apartment.link has nothing to do with airbnb itself but is rather a scam link from entire-apartment.com. Them rushing you with the "24 hour deadline" is another red flag. I mean come on I thought only 80 year old grannies who don't know better fall for this. How stupid can you be....
>>
This is the most blatant scam I've seen since I quit playing Runescape.
>>
File: aa7.jpg (11KB, 213x250px) Image search: [Google]
aa7.jpg
11KB, 213x250px
>>1156722
Wow, OP, just had the same problem recently and almost lost my money.
However, I was able to profit from this situation and even got 200$ extra!
For your convenience, I've mapped out my key steps, please see picrelated
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.