[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hitch-hiking from SEA to Australia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Hi anons, where can I read something about sailing? I'm planning to go on a trip to Australia overland in a few years (from Europe, hitchhiking). I'm going to be travelling for 4-6 months sleeping in the wilds of Eastern Europe, Siberia, Mongolia/Kazakhstan, China and SEA. The problem occurs when you want to get from SEA to Australia without taking any airplane flight - there are no scheduled ferries.
Nevertheless I know that there are sailors, who cross from SEA to Australia and I would like one to pick me up in exchange for work. What are some guides, articles about sailing? I want to know when the season is and in which port I should search for possible companions when I get to SEA.
pic rel (thats not me nor anyone I know on the pic rel xD)
>>
>>1156575
There are a couple of sailing/boating magazines -- google could find which are still active and if they have websites. But to be any good on a bat, you're going to have to get some time on a boat. That means finding the YMCA or whatever your equivalent is, and taking some lessons, or finding a fiend who sails and going out with him.

If I had a boat in that corner of the world (I'm in the SE USA) and did NOT want to get pirated, I'd be cautious as fuck about taking some random guy on board. Having a resume might help with that, or making some contacts in advance -- google up some yacht clubs in Oz/Singapore/Malaysia, see if you can make a friend at a distance, or at least get somebody to answer some of your questions about how/where to get on a boat down there.

It is also possible to book passage on a cargo ship, though it is usually not cheap, if avoiding airplanes is a priority you could try that.
>>
>>1156575
Fuck I hate it when underagers make these ridiculous threads

You're not going to hitchhike to SEA

Stop talking shit
>>
>xD

Dear lord.
>>
>>1156575
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume it's bait.
>>
>>1156590

This.

Save yourself the effort and just get a flight, although there are some western boats that normally go from Darwin/Queensland to Bali/Phuket, there's very few competition for crew spots is normally high.

Your best chance is to get some training as a chef and hope that someone picks you up on a larger boat, being a sailing crewman takes years of experience if your doing open seas sailing. The number of things that can and do go wrong is very high on such trips.
>>
>>1156575
Why do people insist on going by boat to places like Australia? What's the catch. Boat is the most expensive, th most boring, the slowest and the least comfortable way to travel. Even if you have unlimited time, it's just not practical to travel long distance by boat.
A plane ticket from Bali to Darwin costs less than $100.
>>
The thing you have to understand about hitchhiking sailboats is that captains don't *need* you. Even if they do put you to work, they're mostly just doing you a favor. They're feeding you out of their own pocket too.
So it's not so important to be a competent sailor as it is to be charismatic, personable, and be able to talk your way on board.
What you're attempting is entirely possible though; don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

>>1156725
>hitchhiking

>>1156591
>caring enough to comment
>>
>>1156589
I googled up prices of cargo passages, the prices are stunting so that would be the least favorable option. I'm going to take some classes next summer and I will search for some sailing clubs in SEA, preferably in Bali. Thanks for your reply
>>
>>1156748
It's not like people hitchhike with absolutely 0 money, without even $100 to buy that one plane ticket that will save you weeks of hassle. Even if you're at zero, it's much easier to find a small job or busk in a rich city like Singapore to get $100.
>>
>>1156753
Well I have around 300 euro right now, I'm going to save twice or more as much before I depart (I'm going to take dollars and some yuan in advance to avoid scams in China).
>>
>>1156575

https://www.findacrew.net/

found this site

maybe there are even more like this
>>
>>1156793
Oh okay then, I was worried you wouldn't have enough money but you should be just fine with 700 euro. That's almost too much money.
>>
>>1156575
I'm posting in this weak bait thread just to share hitch wikis article about hitch hiking a boat.
http://hitchwiki.org/en/Hitchhiking_a_boat
It really has everything you need to know about the topic for anyone who's interested
>>
Findacrew is just a bunch of 50 year old dudes looking for young women to screw when out at sea. I wouldn't get on half those death traps anyways, people underestimate the money and skill needed to run a sailboat on open ocean. These dudes wind up going broke, falling behind on maintenance and losing a genny or something...bad place to be.

The Caribbean cruisers are OK I guess. The infrastructure for them is really high and USCG or someone can pick you up quickly. Australia, though? Nah. Fuck that.
>>
>>1157161
I'm not savvy enough about this stuff to understand what the postings are looking for but I'd like to get into sailing.

When they mean beginner, does that imply you have some sort of basic sailing certification or can you just make some sort of arrangement with the poster?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7bMA4S0cxU
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.