[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Way of St. James

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: IMGP3005.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP3005.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
Going to walk the Way of St. James (Costa portuguese) on Thursday.
Anyone who did it before?

Pic not related.
Oc from New Zealand, south Island.
>>
/Travel/ has become a place only for weeabos visting tentacle Land or blue balled guys asking for advice where to find hookers in Thailand.

You guys suck at real travelling.

t. OP
>>
>>1156824
indeed it has. I think the refugee violence and political crisis has lessened interest in traveling to europe though, so take it easy on them. not all of them hire hookers, and even a most ofthem who do are still helpful

well, I spent a lot of time in southern france, and speak french, and the trail interested me, but most of the trail was in spain so for a few reasons I decided not to do it, but decided to do it in the future

general warnings include: wear broken in shoes, you will get blisters, sunblock alone isn't enough, wear a broad hat and cover up, make sure you pack lightly, half of the people end up ditching half their sack. you need consecutive stamps from the waypoints to make it into an auberge, so don't take shortcuts. I hear a lot more of the trail than people expect is alongside roads for cars, which disappoints some people, but no one has ever said it wasn't worth it for that reason. almost nothing I've read regretted doing it. it sound great, actually. there are hiking trails in southern france as well, but people have a habit of getting killed by immigrants in southern france, and a travel warning has been placed. so I think you've made a good choice
>>
>>1156553
No, I was planning on starting in three weeks but now I'll be doing the via Francesco Florence to Rome instead.

It'd be cool if you post a summary when you're done?

>>1156943

Having done a couple long walks, this general advice is good. Doubly so with wearing broken in good shoes, and carry tape so the moment you feel a little heat from friction tape over it.
That 'make sure you pack lightly' is solid but vague. You shouldn't be carrying more than 10kg. My kit is 4kg, +2L water, +1kg bag, +day snacks. The place people most often over do it is with clothes. You really only need 2 changes of clothes total. 2 shirts. 1 trouser. 1 shorts. 2 undies. 2 socks. 1 jumper. 1 raincoat. When the weather is good you handwash at the days end then hang it on your bag the following day to dry in the sun.

And hiking poles, they help uphill and down hill. Portugal is pretty flat but one rolled ankle and you'll regret not having poles.
>>
File: IMAG0737.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0737.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>1157743
Same person. This is my Camino gear, without bag, water, or a snack.

If you want more comments it would help to know what you're looking for/ wherebyou are coming from/what experience you have
>>
How long do you expect the Portuguese way to take?

>>1156943
>you need consecutive stamps from the waypoints to make it into an auberge
This is interesting, if you are paying for it why would they demand consecutive stamps? Or are these auberge free?
>>
>>1158206
Depends if you start in Lisbon or Porto. Lisbon up to a month depending on your speed, Porto up to two weeks depending on your speed. There's a lot of culture to be enjoyed so speed isn't necessarily the main focus. I would suggest enjoy two zero days per week to bask in the relaxed little villages.

Because if you're not a pilgrim you should be paying regular tourist prices at regular tourist hotels. Alburges, especially the cheaper ones, are often run by religious organizations/ parish volunteers who don't give their time for freeloaders.
>>
Op here

I am on my way.
Right now I am in viana do castelo.
Quiet nice here.
Portuguese people are very Kind, they drive like shizos though. Almost got Hit a few times because they speed so hard.

Got no blisters til now.
It is cheap, Christian albergues do not Charge for accomodation, just ask for a small donation.
Average Coast per day seems to be 10euro.
If you have to pay accomodation it is about 13 i guess.
Portuguese people on the landside seem to be very poor. Everywhere is garbage. They throw Everything just on the streets.

Stay tuned, /trv/lers
>>
>>1158275
Some pictures would be much appreciated.
BTW do you wear any reflective hear at night? Walking on the roadside at night seems like a big risk tbqh.
>>
>>1158297
It's highly unlikely he's walking at night at all, given most people don't carry camping gear and alburges and restaurants/markets don't have 24hr service

>>1158275
Thanks for the update. No blisters is good news! What do you have for footware? Sad to hear about the rubbish. Some pics would be cool!
>>
File: DSC_0308.jpg (4MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0308.jpg
4MB, 3840x2160px
OP here.
Glad that some like it.
I am in caminha now.
It was a long way, got two itsy bitsy blisters now on my pinkies.
I wear lowa shoes, i dont know the model though.
I dont go by night, as i said portuguese people won their Drivers license in the lottery and drive like lunatics. I would surely End up as a roadkill.

I am really astonished how nice portuguese people (older ones) are. Today someone thanked me for going the camino and yesterday someone gifted me a ice cold bottle of water and fruit.

I didnt take any shot of the garbage, but today i saw a whole Sofa, several chairs and much construction rubbish like whole open sliced bags of concrete.

Pic from today, between viana and caminha
>>
>>1158562
You make it look very attractive. If I were 20 years younger, and Catholic, I'd go.
>>
>>1158592
I am Protestant.
You See golden agers do the camino. If you take your time and just go 10-15km a day you'll finish too.

Doublechecked my foot. Got a big blister on my heel.
Sucks, we will See how it goes.
>>
>>1158592
>If I were 20 years younger, and Catholic, I'd go.

Most of the people I saw walking when I did it were older. I was one of few people in my twenties, most people I met seemed to be 40 and above, with some being in their seventies. And most people I talked to weren't doing it for religious reasons, at least not primarily.
>>
>>1158592
Having done a bit of international hiking I would definitely agree retirees make up at least 50% of walkers, more so on comfier walks like the Camino.

>>1158628
Don't do anything to it, just put a double layer of sports tapeb over it and leave it until it peels itself in a week.

Bon Camino!
>>
I drove around Galicia & northern Portugal last year, beautiful place, the back roads of Galicia and rugged beauty of the Iberian coastline are best experienced in person. I am sure the perspective is very different than from inside a car.

Santiago de Compostella was a bit underwhelming but I did witness a mass for the pilgrims, the church is fucking epic, it was quite moving.

Enjoy & stay safe.
>>
>>1156943

>getting killed by immigrants

What's the circumstances of this? Shitskins camping in the woods preying on hikers or hikers unwittingly encountering them & being killed because witnesses or...?
>>
Op here

Got two blisters.
One big under my heel, one between my toes.
Toe blister opened itself.
Should i open 2nd one as well?
In its Fluid filled Form it keeps me from walking well.
>>
Cool thread OP, was planning to do camino del norte myself.
>>
>>1158916
Do you mean a blister on the lower back of your foot or under the sole of your foot? Blisters on the sole hamper walking most, they're usually from loose fitting shoes (tied loose, loose toebox on downhills, loose ankle on uphills) allowing a mi-nute slip forward and backward. Or walking too fast.
There's no simple fix for those sole blisters apart from rest sorry. Whether punctured or left intact putting weight through the fresh growing skin will cause pain.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.