[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teaching English in China/Taiwan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 11

File: teacher of english in china.jpg (74KB, 800x475px) Image search: [Google]
teacher of english in china.jpg
74KB, 800x475px
A notice a few of you have gone or are planning to go to Korea or Japan to teach English. What about China or Taiwan?
>>
>>1156545
I have a friend, a black woman, teaching in China right now.
>>
>>1156550
>a black woman, teaching in China

What's her experience there like?
>>
>>1156572
She loves it. She is in Central China. ESL at a University. Whihc I believe she was placed at from whatever ESL program she underwent sent her there. It's not her first time out of the country, she was in the Navy. Also has a Masters in Education. This is her first teaching job. More or less went Navy-Bachelors-Masters-Teaching House-China.

http://www.teachinghouse.com/
>>
Thank you based Mods, just by the way.
>>
>>1156550
being black has nothing to do with it
>>
>>1156602
did I miss something?
>>
>>1156604
HAHAHAHAHAHA FUCK YOU FUCKING FAGGOT

EVERY BLACK PERSON THAT CAME WITH ME AND MY GROUP LEFT BECAUSE THEY WERE SO HARSHLY DISCRIMINATED AGAINST
>>
>>1156545
Hey, I did a tier-2 city near Shanghai for six months before I decided to be a NEET, AMA.
>>
>>1156609
any time someone volunteers "oh, I'm X, X and BLACK and this is my experince" they're fucking race baiting. any volunteerng of personal information about race should be banned just like "hey guyz im a gurl gamer n i wuz just wonderin..." threads.
>>
>>1156632
I am trying hard to stay on topic, but this is waht's fucked up. If I mention I am black, or someone is black it's race baiting. But people mention being white and somewhere all the time. Literally what's the difference?
>>
>>1156636
And the reason I mentioned it was simply as saying I know someone of this demographic that did this. As they are of a different dempgraphic there expereinces may be different. Bu tin this case, it was more to show if they did this and was successful and enjoying it, then it should be even easier and better for the OP who is likely your average white male. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0QHHFRk1tk
>>
>>1156637
And as your average white male wouldn't have to worry about things like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqtS3hSwq3o
>>
>>1156638
Or this in rural China, where you very likely end up teaching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsgRFqifmRc
>>
>>1156640
Matter of fact, without naming the univeristy, this the province where she teaches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u5kbG3RyuA
>>
>>1156545

Taiwan is a pretty good place to teach English. Think Thailand prices with Chinese salaries. I've been teaching in Taichung for two months so far and I'm loving it.
>>
>>1156578
>Navy-Bachelors-Masters-Teaching House-China.

That's pretty badass. I guess she isn't running into any serious problems there.
>>
>>1156637
okay so she talks about fat people having trouble finding clothes, dealing with gossip, and children touching her weave. none of which is exclusive to being black, all of which is reducible to common sense

congrats, you're a race baiter
>>
>>1156644

I was thinking of going to Taiwan myself but it seems like all the schools there are cram schools, and there are very few recruiters to use for privates schools.

Do you work at a cram school? How is it, I might just go with one but I was worried because I heard they try to make people work unpaid hours a lot.
>>
I am thinking about taking a TEF L course in order to be able to teach in Taiwan. I have a diploma already in an unrelated field.

If I don't have any other credentials relating to teaching, will it be difficult for me to be hired as an English teacher in any respect in Taiwan?

I would love to hear about other people's experiences teaching in Taiwan!
>>
>>1157374
Cram schools are fine. The typical unpaid part is coming in an hour early to prepare for the day, to do grading, any meetings you may have, etc. Anything more than that is a bad sign.

>>1157382
For cram schools, not really. They're mainly looking for someone that is reliable, and can build rapport with the students.

For public/private schools, they will look at experience, credentials, etc
>>
>>1157382

Personally I'd avoid the large cram schools, but some will take you without a TEFL (you earn one after your first year with them). They take a lot of teachers from outside of Taiwan and have high turn over.

When I was here, I was able to look around and see what it's like. Most of the smaller cram schools seem fine, mine was particularly understanding of me and quite helpful too.

As >>1157458 said, they're looking for you to be reliable, able to build rapport. It's quite different to my idea of being an English teacher though.

Taiwan itself is pretty nice, I've found it pretty easy to get by despite of about a million setbacks. People are ridiculously friendly, it's quite a nice place to walk around with plenty of food and stuff. Summer's a bit hot to be outside for long periods of time.
>>
How are the subject teaching jobs in Taiwan/China? I'd consider it if I could teach math or chemistry.
>>
>>1157644
I assume you'd have to start by speaking native level fluency in Mandarin.
>>
File: IMG_6063.png (1MB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6063.png
1MB, 960x640px
>>1157648
>>1157644
Not true, lots of subject teaching in English medium in china, and are generally paid better. I'm catching my flight back to China Sunday, I'ma Britfag and speant a year in china teahcing at a university. This year however I'll likely stay much longer, as I'm learning Chinese at a university (Top 3rd in the country, pretty easy for foreigners to go to these universities, unlike the native chinese who study stupidky hard, learning instruments etc to wow the panel to get a position there). Being a white you're certainly taking advantage of the white face industry they have there. They assume just because you're white, then you're a good english teacher which is sad, though they've just changed the laws on teaching now. Anyway, if you have any questions about china, living, or studying, feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer. My chinese is ok, I spent 9 months getting to a halfway decent HSK3 level. not bad considering I was learning alone part time.
>>
>>1157652
>Not true, lots of subject teaching in English medium in china, and are generally paid better.

Are they usually with reputable schools, or are they mostly shady places?
>>
File: 104190891369539756.jpg (72KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
104190891369539756.jpg
72KB, 800x600px
>>1157655
ha well this is can be said of any teaching positions in China...

Just do your homework on the school, don't get ass raped by the contract. Only go for a position that offers housing and you're not locked in to too many office hours.

If you're looking at teaching in a high school or university, it's much safer, the pay is lower, nut much lower hours. I was teaching English in a university, got the summer and winter off, with travel money included, pay for my flights, free accommodation, health care covered, and z visa.

TL;DR Uni's are safer than private language schools. Check the school out, if you can visit before you sign, if you're not in china try and talk to or ask to talk to forigenger there teahcing laready, ask fot their Wechat (chinese FB 微信 WeiXin)
>>
>>1157652
i've heard it's fairly easy to get an "illegal" teaching job without a degree in many of the smaller cities, how accurate is that?
>>
>>1157666
pretty accurate, but with just a TEFL you can find a half decent job. Without a degree you'll be stuck in the middle of nowehre, and maybe not even able to obtain a Zvisa.
>>
>>1157652

Fellow Britfag here...

..I'm going to Shanghai on Monday to start teaching English - would you say there was any chance of me teaching Chemistry without a proper teaching degree (aside from TEFL)? I have a first class Chemistry degree from a good Uni if that helps...
>>
File: then and now.jpg (181KB, 640x782px) Image search: [Google]
then and now.jpg
181KB, 640x782px
>>1157681
I'm interested in this as well.

t. non-Brit with a degree in Biology and a Chemistry minor
>>
File: IMG_6099.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6099.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1157681
>>1157700
Can't see there being any issue, I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a job. Just keep in mind most jobs are English Language teaching, so there are other subjects, but are often scarce. May take a little digging, add some Wechat teaching groups, I find chemistry tutors needed in English all the time. But if you're willing to locate, maybe Shezhen 深圳,Beijing 北京·, shanghai 上海 guangzhou·广州 would put you in good stead, be flexible, and keep in mind you don't need to take the first offer that comes to you. They need you, more than you need them. Negotiate, less hours, more wage, etc, it;s normal to negotiate this in China.
>>
How difficult is it for a white guy to get laid in China?
>>
>>1157762
Thanks. I'm kind of shocked that there would be teaching groups on Wechat.

I'll also keep in mind to negotiate.
>>
>>1157666
very easy, your employer will write Phd. from harvard on your CV before they sent it to the schools, it's the chinese way.
>>
>>1157804
how difficult is it for you at home
>>
>>1157878
like once a year
>>
File: IMG_5419.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5419.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1157942
depends what you look like and your attitude. If you're white and not socially awkward you'll have plenty of attention from girls, especially if you're outside of 上海 Shanghai or 北 京 Beijing. also, If she asks how many girls you've been with it's a trap chinese girls are very unlikely to have had more than 2 Ex's. 你有很多女朋友。你是花心!
>>
>>1157963
What do you mean outside of Shanghai and Beijing? Are those areas bad?

And I suppose the answer to the question is to say 2?
>>
File: IMG_5438.jpg (3MB, 5664x2332px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5438.jpg
3MB, 5664x2332px
>>1158009

Because Beijing, Shanghai are much more internationally, the locals are obviously used to seeing foreigners. If you in a tier 2 city (smaller than the big 4; SH, BJ SZ GZ) you're going to get more attention from people in general especially woman. Most of them probably hadn't spoken to or seen a foreigner before. The answer is 2 I guess, it won't go down well with chinese woman if you say you've had a lot of girls before, they'll think you're a playboy, even though in western cultures it's normal. Most couples that meet at uni stay together and get married. A chinese girl wants to know there's a future and possible marriage before she gets into a relationship. It takes longer to be BF&GF if she's a nice girl (bad girls like anywhere may scam you etc,just with you for money or status). But in general, chinese girl are more loyal, feminine, in my opinion cuter.
>>
>>1156545
Everyone I know that taught English in China loved every minute of it up until they quit the job. Every single one was always screwed over at the end of the job. Missing promised severance or simply not paid their last month's pay.
>>
File: 20160905162210.jpg (60KB, 731x479px) Image search: [Google]
20160905162210.jpg
60KB, 731x479px
A-Am I being scammed?
>>
Sup guys, i thought i would ask my question here.

I'm considering teaching english in Mexico, does anyone have any experience teaching english in Spanish speaking countries? Stories?
>>
>>1158639
sounds pretty standard
>>
It's bretty good. You can make some good money with side jobs, at least in China.
>>
How looked down upon is it to teach Individualism to a society that is quite heavily based in Collectivism?

Also, do Chinese grills have big boobs? Like E cup and up?
>>
>>1160730
>How looked down upon is it to teach Individualism to a society that is quite heavily based in Collectivism?

I think it might actually be illegal in China, but I'm also curious about this
>>
>>1160730
>>1161275

Their society being collective is more about their aspirations than anything. While the Western dream is to be your own boss and do your own thing (Self-actualisation) the 'Chinese' dream is not to stand out but to fit in- study hard, get that good job, keep following the rules and get some status symbols along the way. That's obviously a huge generalisation.

In the classroom, it's not really a big deal. Native English speaking white people are naturally assumed to be more confident (or disruptive) because we're normally encouraged to complain and give our opinion, whereas they are normally encouraged to not complain and listen to the teacher/boss. I would say that simply by being there, you're introducing them to new/different ideas.

I don't really know how you'd plan to 'teach' individualism, considering as well that you only have a few hours a week and quite a lot of English to teach them (Sometimes even with a bilingual teacher present too). It's quite hard to undo centuries of tradition in a one hour ESL lesson, and I'm not sure why you'd want to.

Further, a lot of them recognise the problems within their culture but can't really do anything about it.

>Also, do Chinese grills have big boobs? Like E cup and up?

They exist, they're few and far between. Newsflash; Asian women aren't renowned for their curves.
>>
>>1160730
Why not just teach English. What you are being paid to do
>>
>>1156610

why did you fall back into your NEET ways
>>
I'm currently teaching in China. I had to go through many very shitty jobs to finally find a decent one. I've been here about 2.5 years. You generally have to work through the shit and do your time for 1-2 years until you find a decent job here.

Most ESL jobs here are fucking terrible and humiliating, and the management are inept scumbags that only want to make money as quickly as possible, so they will throw you under the bus whenever it benefits them.

FYI, most jobs will discriminate against blacks and other dark skinned folks. And the parents will secretly talk shit behind your back about how they don't want their kids being taught by black people. You'll also generally be paid lower than a white person. China isn't really for non-whites. I'd go to Japan or Korea if I was black.

No experience with Taiwan.
>>
>>1162149
>They exist, they're few and far between.
Awesome. Sounds like a challenge.
>>
>>1163323
Why are you there if you've hated it so much?
>>
>>1156610
What was the T2 city?
>>
I only heard about teaching English in Japan, but I couldn't meet the requirements (not a native English speaker). Is this similar in China or is it possible to find employment if I can prove my English proficiency?
>>
Why not get a proper job, you losers?

Asian pussy isn't anything special anyway.
>>
>>1157963
why do you feel the need to add names of the cities in chinese every time you talk about them?
what kind of autism do you suffer from?
>>
File: 1474828899675-878222391.jpg (4MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1474828899675-878222391.jpg
4MB, 2560x1920px
>>1163323
I'm Mexican, is it like being black there?
Here's my skin tone.
>>
>>1165036
I'm Mexican and I'm about the same color as you. Maybe a little darker. I've been living in a T2 city for a little over a year. I've experienced nothing terrible. The worst is people trying to sneak photos of you and call out when they see a foreigner waiguoren 外国人 or laowai 老外.

I have a big nose and people do seem to comment about that, though.
>>
>>1165517
tell me anon, where does the T1, T2, T3 distinction come from?

is it the size of the cities?
>>
>>1165537
Tier 1s are the biggest, most developed cities on par with western capital cities
Tier 2s are rougher around the edges but still with significant development and foreign populations
Tier 3 stuff starts getting shitty
>>
>>1165640
What I found interesting about the tiers is the government actually restricts the movement of citizens based on the tier of city they are from. I was talking to a girl from a T2 or T3 city and she was saying she wanted to stay in the US, because going to college in Beijing allowed her to work there if she wanted but if she couldn't find a job she would be forced to move back to her hometown.
>>
>>1165517
Okay I can live with that, thanks bruv. Schools will take me seriously as a native English speaker?

>>1165643
I'm seven percent African, 40 something European and almost half Native American
>>
>>1165685
well that would happen if the whole of kentucky wanted to move to NYC?
it would be chaos

china must have a huge problem, not only making sure people don't move internally in a way that causes dysfunction (see: holiday season in china)

particularly of conern is people from rural areas flocking to the T1 cities, causing price hikes and mass unemployment and social disorder

'least that's what I imagine in my head
>>
>>1165687
>>1165036

Why don't you just teach in japan if you have second thoughts? china is a shithole anyway
>>
>>1165709
I don't have second thoughts and I've heard Japan is hard to get into because of weeaboos and that they're more racist. Although I have a Paki friend that said the girls were really into them. Really I'm just looking to break in to this line of work anywhere and spend like two years in different countries at least. I'm trying for Indonesia too.
>>
>>1165687
>I'm 7 percent African
Will you fuck off please

Why do Americans always come up with this heritage percentage bullshit pulled out their asses?
>>
>>1165797
>Why do Americans always come up with this heritage percentage bullshit pulled out their asses?
I assume DNA testing gives this exact number. Why does it bother you to discuss their ethnicity?
>>
guys this isn't /pol/
>>
we have this exact thread every day

check the catalog guys -____-
>>
>>1165855
Because most of the time it isn't even relevant. And they repeat this shit just to feel like a special snowflake.
>>
>>1165923
I wonder if I'm banned
>>
>>1165537
>where does the T1, T2, T3 distinction come from?
From an academic paper on real estate prices actually. It's entered common usage now though.

There's a T4 as well.
>>
>>1165537
>is it the size of the cities?
Oh, and people often say that you tell the difference between tiers 1,2,3 by the number of starbucks.

Tier 3 probably don't have any. Tier 4 don't have McDonalds either (but they probably have a KFC or two).
>>
so I want to teach english in china, but I don't have a BA

I know that it's not uncommon, and that it does carry risks

my question is this
do I fake a BA and get a working visa?
or work illegally on a tourist visa?
>>
>>1166273

where would you get a fake BA. you need a physical copy in order to apply for the work visa
>>
>>1166283
a forged copy, fake documents
I'm not sure they would double check the authenticity
that way I could apply to a school that wouldn't try to rip me off because I was illegal
then with a real visa I wouldn't need to hide from local authorities or work in the middle of nowhere

I'm just not sure where the bulk of chinese immigraton resources are, if they are at the border or if they are internal
>>
>>1166292

I'm already in china, and need a fake degree. where did you get yours?

I've worked on an L visa in the past, but I don't want to risk it anymore. you never know if you'll get caught.
>>
>>1166297
the risk doing it while inside the country would be too great, similarly I can't just tell you how I would do it if I took that path
>>
>>1166273
>I'm a useless neet at home and can't even get my fat lazy ass up to get a BA but hey if I fake my documents and get a job as an English "teacher" in China I'll at least lose my virginity right? They LOVE white men over there haha
>>
>>1166321
whats your problem man?
>>
>>1166329
Your attitude
>>
File: 1295894314208.jpg (22KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
1295894314208.jpg
22KB, 333x500px
Everyone says they love teaching English in China but never specifics. Why?

Trying to decide between Japan or
>>
>>1166379
been interesting in that myself

seems like korea has a generous program, but I've heard it's a bit of a souless faux-western place

also heard that a lot of schools in SEA are run down, you get 100 kids in a class, and nobody has the money to pay you
not sure the truth of it though

I hear japan has a much higher cost of living
>>
>>1166329
in one post you manage to ask
>how can I violate the law
>how can I defraud the trust and money of either/both an organization and the innocent peasants who pay into it
>how can I manage to make things/reputations worse for people who actually worked hard and followed the rules?
gee, I wonder why people look down on people like you. real mystery
>>
>>1166382
the law is a political entity, independent from right or wrong

and I'm not defrauding the schools, if I lied to them about having studied I think they would probably work it out
it would be for them to decide if they wanted me, and what they were willing to pay

why do you think chinese schools are hurting so badly for english teachers that they'l hire any joe who walks in with a backpack.
and whats more they can't afford to pay some white boy who just walked out of uni and thinks he's should get paid more than career teachers.

a BA in doesn't qualify you to be a teacher in the west
and I don't think a BA in arts or botany qualifies you as an english teacher anywhere
It's just a line someone in an office drew to make sure their kids arn't taught by idiots

and if you think I'm an idiot, this idiot is going to send you a postcard with my ass on it
>>
>>1166381
I'm in Korea. People either love it or hate it. Even if you love it there's still plenty to complain about. Money, food and people make it all worth it though.

My cousin teaches in Japan and lives a party lifestyle and he's broke. It's definitely more expensive than Korea.

My other cousins taught at Christian schools in China so they had a completely different experience than the average Joe teacher. They still really enjoyed it though. People are truly fascinated by you.

Heard mixed things about SEA. Having qualifications helps you skip all the bullshit jobs to my understanding.
>>
>>1166425
I wanna hear more
>>
>>1166400
>the law is a political entity, independent from right or wrong
oooh deep shit bro

and no, you're not stupid. you're a fucking degenerate.
>>
>>1166427
About which country anon?
>>
>>1166472
You're teaching in Korea? I'd like to hear what you love about it and what you don't. Any information about your cousin's thoughts on Japan would be appreciated too.
>>
>>1166474
>Korea
Seoul is completely devoid of anything interesting to see or do.
If you enjoy getting drunk and fucking trashy sluts who can't get laid by Koreans so they end up whoring foreigners then you will have a blast though.
Getting drunk is the only thing you can do over there.
>>
Is it much harder to find a job in China or Taiwan if I just want to teach adults? What about older teens?

If I go on vacation to China or Taiwan, for 2-3 months, would I be able to line up a teaching job and work visa while on a tourist visa?

Anyone have experience in Kunming? The climate, scenery, and air quality make it seem like a really nice city.
>>
>>1166476
So Seoul has no soul...
>>
>>1166474
Sure, first of all don't listen to this retard. >>1166476 He's close minded already. You'll see people like him every now and then.

What I like
food.Gyeongsangnam(fucking delicious food is generally spicier and more salty than the northern food.

shopping. Nampodong, Busan and Seomyeon, Busan are my two favorite places for this. street vendors everywhere and cheap brands. department stores and massive underground shopping centers

Islands. In Tongyeong (where i teach) there's a fuckton of islands you can visit by ferry. Saryangdo has an amazing view and hiking. Bijindo has beach camping and nice hiking too.

-People. Koreans are kind and giving. They'll give you free stuff often. really hospitable. They give compliments quite often too which can really boost your self-esteem.
Their passion for sports. Watch a baseball game live

DISLIKES
-REALLY superficial culture. I see see parents often criticize their children about being fat. Some mothers try to get their kid plastic surgery for a graduation gift. There's a pressure to be this one type of beauty. Which can create 성형괴물(mostly in Gangnam) Also be prepared to take selfies

-Trash. Just garbage on the streets. Even when it's cleaned up it's replaced by more garbage

-Intruding questions. Koreans are curious about foreigners in an innocent way but sometimes their questions are uncomfortable. I dated a girl for a month and we were drinking with some people. "Will you marry her?" "Do you love her?" Fuck

-AJUMMAS. old women just don't give a fuck. They cut in line, push people to get through. No apologies. But there's this culture thing with age and respect so they get away with it. I've seen good ones

I didn't speak a lot about Seoul but it's got a really cool underground music scene, artists, gaming, shopping and of course drinking. there's a group of people for whatever niche interest you got, just gotta ask around

Overall Korea is a fascinating country
>>
>>1166693
Fuck off, cancer
>>
>>1166624
>. I see see parents often criticize their children about being fat.
Are you saying this is a bad thing? If so, fuck off
>>
>>1167097
They're not fat but the parents say they are. Should of clarified. The kids would be thin by american standards.

Don't be so hostile though you alright?
>>
>>1156604

Tbh it's really interesting to read about the experiences of a non-white person teaching in a foreign country due to how racist the ESL industry is. This is something a lot of white people take for granted, but is a huge issue for people of a different colour. I've experienced this myself. I applied to shit loads of jobs with my Indian sounding name (native speaker tho) and hardly recieved a reply. I then re-applied to the same jobs with an English sounding name (all other details kept the same) and got responses with interview offers. Is this fair? Nope, but it's the way the ESL industry is. So to hear a non-white person actually breaking through that barrier and teaching in a foreign country is very interesting to some.
>>
>>1167121
How are your credentials though? Masters degree or higher? Maybe it's nothing more than that. A native speaker sounding name might be more the thing, where education doesn't otherwise speak about your over-qualifying abilities to teach. Accents are a big deal to people learning. I'm sure there is bias out there, but my cuban-american friend teaches in Saudi Arabia, which is a huge *boggle* of choice. He's got a doctorate.
>>
>>1167106
>The kids would be thin by american standards.

100 kg is thin by American standards

If there's fat on the body to lose, you're fat - end of story.
>>
>>1157666

Not to mention that its easy for the school to scam you. I read one forum where they paid monthly for a while and towards the end of contract, they said that he'd get paid at the end. the last day he shows up to collect his money, the immigration was there as he was working "illegal"
http://www.vice.com/read/the-chinese-esl-industrial-complex-shady-working-conditions-abound-for-foreign-english-teachers-in-china-127
>>
>>1167139
>How are your credentials though?
>(all other details kept the same)
>>
>>1167150
t. skeleton
>>
File: chinese tired.jpg (48KB, 492x449px) Image search: [Google]
chinese tired.jpg
48KB, 492x449px
>mfw want to teach in China, but I'm afraid of getting stuck in an apartment infested with cockroaches
>>
>>1167139

No masters but a BSc in Chemistry, Celta and approx two years experience. At first I applied when I just finished my Celta and had very little experience. I applied to many jobs in Thailand, Saudi, China, Malaysia etc, no replies. Now I've fabricated some of my experience to show two years and I get some replies (however countries like Japan and South Korea and even China don't bother to reply).

It just shows that if you're a white person with little experience you can easily get a job teaching English.
>>
>>1167150
Naw man. If you came to Asia you'd understand why I even posted about it. It's a stark contrast to the story you have in your head.
>>
I can get a guaranteed job placement teaching English to Japanese toddlers with zero education experience or Japanese language knowledge, just because I'm Australian and Nippon has a hard-on for us.

I just googled it for a giggle after seeing this thread, but ngl I'm seriously considering it now.
I'm chronically unemployable here (20.6% unemployment rate amongst youth right now, no experience.)
This.. Could actually help once I get home and I love working with kids.

What do?
>>
>>1167378
common consensus is to avoid "guaranteed jobs"

A. that kind of guarantee can only honestly be offered if the school is willing to take anyone, probably not the place you want to work
B. taking a guaranteed job looses you the opportunity to shop around for a better place to work for, better location, smaller classes, more pay etc
>>
I taught in Changsha for 2 years and Shanghai for 1. Most people I knew hated it.

Its not a job for non Chinese with a skin color darker than white.

I taught in the mornings, in the afternoons I did private lessons. I also did American-English pronounciation classes for teens. I wish I could have just kept doing that but needed to teach at a school to be able to stay in the country.

Fucking Chinese girls gets boring.
>>
>>1166400
are you still here? I want to do the same thing, what do you think, any leads? I want to do it in taiwan though do you think they will be more harsh with checking?
>>
>>1167445
What was the pay like? and your life in general?
>>
>>1167469
in Changsha, the pay was $1600 USD/mo but I got a decent apartment for free. The Chinese teachers didn't talk to me much, the school was within walking distance so that was nice. I would get paid different amounts all of the time so I constantly had to go to them to be asked to be paid in full. $1600 was pretty decent pay too, I knew teachers making less.

In Shanghai I made $2400/mo and I paid for my own apartment. I got a nice place in a new building in Hongkou for $500/mo because they were trying to get white people to live there. All of my neighbors were Germans, French, and Americans.

I socialized mostly with Chinese so my experience is a bit different than a lot of teachers that go over to China and refuse to learn any Chinese or socialize with them.

You had to be careful, you could be hanging out with someone one minute and the next minute you are sitting and eating dinner with someone who is trying to show you off to their friends and family.

I made a lot of money doing the pronunciation/speaking gig, so I spent a lot of money when I went out. I'm also not fat, and pretty average looking... and girls will go to some of the bars hoping to the get the attention of white dudes especially if it looked like they weren't tourists. Then you chat with them for a week, take them out the following weekend and then go back to your place. The sex is usually not good, in case you were wondering.

Shanghai was cleaner than Changsha, where there was garbage all over the place. Shanghai was a really easy place to live.

If you have any specific questions, hit me up.
>>
>>1167499
I should also note that my pay in Shanghai was low compared to other people but I worked at a school that really didnt need me so I submitted a low offer for my salary knowing I would have more free time instead of working all of the time. This allowed me to make more doing private lessons.
>>
>>1167499
Was the $1600/$2400 including the pronunciation/speaking thing? A colleague of mine (Chinese guy from "the middle of China") claimed he got €50 an hour for TOEFL prep and that native speakers could get more. His English was shit, so it might have also been €15 or something.
What is China like for a Westerner? Are people generally nice to you? Does speaking Chinese help? How would you classify your ELT experiences as a whole?
Are you a native speaker? If so, from where?
Lastly, have you taught anywhere else? If so, how does China compare?
Sorry for the enormous amount of questions
>>
>>1167506
No, that was my base pay from the school. I made more tutoring on the side. I haven't personally heard of anyone making that much through a school. I did about $10 USD per hour of private tutoring and I taught 6-8 kids at a time for about 4 hours a day, kids would come and go through a rotation. I charged $40/hr per kid for speaking because parents wanted their teens to sound more like a native English speaker. Also because you can get someone to fake an accent quickly so parents liked the quick results.

My brother wanted to jump on the ESL bandwagon and he chose a job in Hachinohe in northern Japan and I tagged along. I hated it.
>>
>>1167535
So you were actually making some pretty sweet money. Good to hear.
What sucked so much about Japan?
>>
>>1167535
So you hated China, and you hated Japan..

Why the hell are you doing this shit then?
>>
>>1167499

How does Changsha compare to Chengdu and Chongqing? I've lived in the latter two cities. I heard Changsha was a pure shithole, poor as fuck and really third world. Are white guys still exotic there, or are there tons of beta foreigners there now too? How easy were the girls?
>>
>>1167633
It's a job any loser can do that's better than working at McDonald's.
>>
>>1167633
I didnt hate China, I hated Japan.
>>
>>1167542
I think in order to live there your interest in Japanese culture has to outweigh the xenophobic attitudes. Just my opinion. Its also expensive and I wouldnt have been able to save any money which kind of defeated the purpose. If I lived in a large city my experience might have been better.
>>
Is it possible to go work in China for a year and save $10K?

I'm about to graduate, and I desperately want to travel, but I have no money saved.. So I'm thinking go to China, experience the culture, save, and then backpack on watever I can save.

I realize this is not an original idea
>>
>>1167897
Yes, depending on many factors. If you work at a school where you are working 12 hours a day then no. You will make the most money by teaching lessons on the side. In order to do that, you need to not live in a poor city. You cant have a tiny hole in the wall apartment because people wont feel comfortable taking their kids there for lessons. Also, your best potential customers will be through classes at the school.
>>
>>1167875
>xenophobic attitudes
Was it that bad? I keep hearing different opinions on this
>>
>>1167875
>waahwaah I was a WHITE AMERICAN English teacher in Japan and didn't get any special treatment from the Japanese they are sooo wacist!!!

lmao
Japanese just know well enough by now that the English teacher scum they receive is

a) bullshitters with a crap degree going to Japan because of anime and no prospects at home
b) yellow fever degenerates
c) unfucked losers who expect to drown in pussy for being a foreigner

(and, obviously, you are the exception this rule and will show me in just how many ways I am wrong ;-) )
>>
>>1167961
...so... what anime is your fav?
>>
>>1167967
Dragon Ball Z duh
>>
>>1167961
I don't appreciate you insulting all weeb yellow fever virgins because of some entitled white people.
>>
>>1167961
What's got you so riled up about esl teachers? They're just people man.
>>
>>1167986
nothing, just stating the facts bud
>>
>>1167987
No i mean you use words like "scum" "degenerate" "loser". These aren't facts man you got something else really bothering you don't you?
>>
>>1167961
Lol, found the /r/Asianmasculinity poster.
>>
>>1167989
Oh, so I am talking to an ESL-loser?
How's it going, drowning in pussy already bud?

>>1167991
Lol
>>
>>1167993
I don't fit your narrative to be honest. I actually have a long term girlfriend. Not all esl teachers are what you think in your head. But you seem really really polarized I'm just concerned for your mental health.

What's your experience with teaching or what's your job?
>>
>>1167995
Yeah, as I said. Of course it's gotta be that one special snowflake eh.

Have fun "teaching" bud.
And with your "long term girlfriend" as well.
>>
>>1167445
>American-English pronounciation classes
You're charging people to pronounce English incorrectly?
Poor souls.
>>
>>1167943
it's not direct racism, but you will never been more than a novelty as a gaijin in japan.
>>
Any experience with English First? I signed up and should have an interview soon. I lived in Egypt for a year so I can take shitty living standards and insane people. Not sure what to expect.
>>
>>1168094
Its really not just the interactions with Americans or people of other races, its how they treat other Asians that are there like Koreans.
>>
>>1168060
PRETTY MUCH.

All I did was try to get them to pronounce words without their native accent and teach American slang and informal English so they could better communicate in the U.S. which is where most of the students were planning to go to University.
>>
anyone know about Phoenix Group in Taiwan? I got a job offer from them but it feels a bit sketchy, as i cant find a lot of information about them online
>>
>>1168094
this is how being a minority anywhere that you aren't explicitly hated is though

are you not a novelty when you're playing celebrity in china?
>>
>>1168424
you can have black or japanese friends in europe, africa, and the americas without having them only for prestige and novelty. in china and especially japan you are not considered a human, you are like a dancing bear and will not connect with anyone since you are not part of "us"
>>
>>1156545
What do I need to teach English in China?
>>
>>1168623
No job prospects at home and being a degenerate loser will do.
>>
>>1168625
sonuds like me. I mean what education/ certificates/ experience requirements.
>>
>>1168625
lol why are you here? Are you Asian?
>>
>>1168625
>go to thread about teaching english
>complain about people teaching english
Why do you do this?
>>
>>1168608
Are you white?
>>
I'm working in China and can't get a half-way decent chink girlfriend (i.e early twenties, at least a 7 on the looks scale from 1-10)

I'm finding they actually prefer their tiny dick beta boyfriends, even though I make triple or quadruple their salary and have bigger genitals than they do.

What's the deal here? Is it the rising nationalism in China, or am I not blonde and blue eyed enough or fit enough?
>>
>>1168359

If it's a school/teaching it might be 菲妮克思美語, looks fine but AFAIK it's a larger cram school. Anyway it's probably fine, just be careful when reading through.

>>1168729

>chink girlfriend
>tiny dick beta boyfriends
>make triple or quadruple their salary and have bigger genitals
>What's the deal here? Is it the rising nationalism in China, or am I not blonde and blue eyed enough or fit enough?

Yeah, definitely Chinese nationalism. Couldn't at all be that you're an appalling person or anything.
>>
>>1168730
>Couldn't at all be that you're an appalling person or anything.
He sounds almost exactly like Elliot.

>supreme gentleman
>muh car
>why no blonde cheerleader slut want to fuck me?
>>
>>1156545
So I'm kind of down to go teach English somewhere, but I've got no teaching experience or degree so from what I know that makes Taiwan, Korea, Japan, etc... all off the table. I hear China's still pretty easy without a degree though, so I guess my question is how would I go about getting a job there? I've heard it's a good idea to avoid the massive cities like Beijing and Shanghai, but what should I do specifically?
>>
>>1168681
yes
>>
>>1168632
Of course he is. He's one of the tiny dick losers from /r/asianmasculinity who spam BBC threads on /pol/
>>
>>1168763
>what should I do specifically
get a teaching degree
TEFL is cheapest and quickest and widely accepted. Try volunteering at placing who teach English or something to get a feel of it and to get at least some experience. It'll be shit if you're halfway across the world and don't know what to do.
>>
>>1168729
Are you white?
>>
I teach kindergarten in Australia.
What would happen if I taught in YOUR country of choice?
>>
>>1168729
The thing is that you probably can't get a girlfriend at home either.
Which is, ironically enough, the reason you moved to China in the first place.
>>
Alright, so I've decided that I'm going to go through with this at the end of this year when I graduate college. I've always wanted to travel, and I don't have enough money saved, so I'm going for it.

And now I have a decision to make. I'm either going to go to China or Korea.

My question is, which should I go to?

A couple criteria:

1. Where will I make more money and be able to save more? I'm hoping to save ~10k to travel the following year.

2. Where will the people be more friendly? AKA, where will I have the best social life? Which country will be better for me to meet people and make friends. Both expats and locals?

3. Where are the gyms and food better?

4. Where are the girls more friendly? I want to get into another LTR while I'm there, so I want to go somewhere where there are good girls.

5. Where will I have the most freedom? The less hours I have t work, the better.

6. Which country is more interesting and beautiful? I want to take weekend trips around the country while I'm there, so the more natural beauty, good night, etc, the better
>>
>>1169124

1. You could possibly make more or equal in China, but it is unlikely. Cost of living in China varies a lot based on what tier city you are in, as do salaries.

In Korea, there is less variance. You can save, if you penny pinch a shit ton, $2k USD a month.

2. The people in China are more friendly, but they are less western if that makes sense. More like working class guys you'd see at a pub whereas Koreans are a bit more Japanese in their demeanor. Both are nationalistic. Koreans are more used to, but also more threatened by foreigners.

3. I like Chinese food better, but the quality control in Korea is vastly superior. Better western food in Korea. Less variety. Gyms are better in Korea. Chinese gyms are absolutely absurd, especially outside of tier 1 cities.

4. No difference really. I find the range of type of women in China to be greater, while the average Korea woman has a more normal exterior, but internally deranged. Chinese women are clingy, and take relationships very seriously, and sometimes appear to be in an underlying state of constant terror/shyness.

5. You'll have more personal freedom in Korea. More freedom in the classroom in China. You'll work significantly fewer hours in China and have way more vacation time.

6. China is gigantic, which gives it great diversity, but also a larger spectrum of amazingness to complete and utter shiftiness, Korea is smaller, which makes it far more manageable in terms of growth, cleanliness, structure, etc.
>>
>>1166624

What do you mean in Nampodong, Busan and Seomyeon?

Do you mean near Busan train station near texas street? I agree with Nampodong and Seomyeon. Busan not so much if it's near busan train station because a lot of times I have been heckled by russian prostitutes.

Haeundae and centum city are also great places to shop, where there is the worlds largest shopping center.

Additionally if you're feeling adventurous, you should visit Gupo Market in Busan to eat some dog meat soup in the dog meat section of the market.
>>
>>1167499
I'm in Shanghai now. Do you know where I can find private tutoring students? Do you know where I can find contacts, agents or job boards?
Thread posts: 164
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.