[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going walkabout

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Adventure-Traveller.jpg (40KB, 570x365px) Image search: [Google]
Adventure-Traveller.jpg
40KB, 570x365px
Hi /trv/
Honestly my first time here but I figured that this would be a good place to ask.
After some recent drama innmy own life I've decided to finally go on my worldwide wander.

I plan on travelling from Australia (where I live) to South East Asia then buying a car and travelling east before turning north and travelling through the himalayas towards Eastern Europe and then over to Ireland and spend time with my family there.

I'm asking for any advice, I plan on travelling alone or at least not with anyone I know currently. I'm not an extremely experienced traveller.
>>
>>1156314
First of all, buy spare parts for car.
Second of all, get a compass, because I'm pretty sure travelling east from South East Asia won't get you to Europe.
(no h8, just playing)
Thirdly, Plan trips from big city to big city, I imagine driving through the -stans alone might get you killed more easily than anywhere else
>>
>>1156321
Thanks spare parts is a good idea, Im not just heading east I do plan to map it out a bit more.

Definitely plan to avoid the - stans as much as possible. Also I'm going to be well equipped for this trek I don't even plan on having the car the whole way so I'm going to be equipped enough as if I was planning on walking the trip so yeah I'll have a compass haha. I'm not experienced international traveller like I said but I have been camping all over Australia in many climates pushing myself while I know this doesnt add up to the experience that travelling cross the eurasian continent would usually require I am very confident in my ability to adapt to the situation.
>>
>>1156321
> I imagine driving through the -stans alone might get you killed more easily than anywhere else

But i've driven in the -stans and that's bullshit, people there are some of the nicest in earth, and most roads outside cities are rugged and limited so you won't find that big of a problem navigation wise
>>
>>1156332
That's why I wrote I imagine. It was my xenophobia and lack of -stani experience lacking.
>>
>>1156332
Thanks for the heads up I might try and drop through some of the more tame areas. Is there anywhere you would recommend?
>>
>>1156444
Yeah thats what put me off of those areas as well, it's better to be safe than dead or held hostage.
>>
File: 1461168824224.jpg (13KB, 257x196px) Image search: [Google]
1461168824224.jpg
13KB, 257x196px
>>1156446
THIS is exactly what I thought. You want to go safe, not dangerous.

Syria might be nice, though
>>
>>1156449
Hahaha, yeah I think I might stay well away from there, pakistan only if necessary, khazikstan maybe though at least it's a eastern european -stan than a middle eastern one. I guess not a hell of alot better but at least I'm a lot less likely to step on a mine or be bombed one way or another.

I'm going to finish my journey in Ireland though, should be nice.
>>
Goes walkabout ~ drives there.
>>
Speaking of walkabout has anyone here done much of that as apposed to hitching or other more efficient travel? I was thinking of going walkabout after winter because it's cheap and I feel too autistic to hitchhike.
>>
>>1156444
Alright, didn't catch that, my bad
>>1156445
You wouldn't want to miss driving the pamir highway in tajikstan, it's amazing, but don't even think about it if you don't have a 4x4 car with you.
Kyrgyzstan is pretty nice too, very nice landscapes and a bit less rugged roads than the pamirs but still need a 4x4 as well
>>
File: walkabout.jpg (28KB, 399x224px) Image search: [Google]
walkabout.jpg
28KB, 399x224px
>>1157731
Don't EVER tell me what I can't do, EVER!
>>
>>1157731
What >>1158014 said.
I might drive, I might walk, I might catch a train, just no planes. It was more of a term meaning to wander.
>>
>>1158003
Thanks mate. Always planned on getting a 4×4, no point in getting anything else on a trek like this.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.