[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do you talk about travel with normies and not sound pretentious?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: DSC00804.jpg (5MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00804.jpg
5MB, 4320x3240px
how do you talk about travel with normies and not sound pretentious?
>>
>>1156302
For starters, stop labeling other people as normies and grow up. People must really hate you.
>>
>>1156304
how do you talk about travel and not sound pretentious?
>>
>>1156305
by not being pretentious about it
>if something was amazing don't be blaze about it
>don't name drop countries into stories unless it makes the story funnier
>don't call every little one week vacation 'travelling'
>>
>>1156308
>by not being pretentious about it
>>don't call every little one week vacation 'travelling'

Wew lad
>>
>>1156304
This.
Also - talk about travel only with those who want to talk about travel. And you should not be the only one to talk.
>>
File: FGFGFGFG.jpg (26KB, 362x363px) Image search: [Google]
FGFGFGFG.jpg
26KB, 362x363px
>>1156308
>>
>>1156302
>Don't name drop places you've been (I.e. "so when I was in Cambodia...")
>don't mention specific places nobody's heard of (IE, just say East Europe not Talinn, Estonia)
>check your privilege, literally. Don't act like anyone can quit their job and start travelling
>don't describe anything as " touristic" or "overrated"
>don't tell stories with no climax/ending ("...and yeah, that was the bus ride")
>don't tell people that they should go places ("oh you've never been to Morocco? You should go! When I was in Marrakesh... ")

Most importantly

>if they don't ask, don't bring up travelling
>>
>>1156502
>don't mention specific places nobody's heard of (IE, just say East Europe not Talinn, Estonia)

Everyone's an idiot but me: The Post. I bet you listen to NPR.
>>
>>1156502
>Don't act like anyone can quit their job and start travelling
Goddammit I hate this one. So many travel blogs written by boring white American women who go on and on about this.

>not all who wander are lost
>>
File: hitle.jpg (18KB, 343x450px) Image search: [Google]
hitle.jpg
18KB, 343x450px
>>1156520
>that girl who tatooed wanderlust on her neck
>>
>>1156302
dont brag
>>
>>1156502
I disagree with this one, there's no point in talking about something at all if you can't even give your opinion on it.

Also as for the last one, that depends on the conversation. If a topic pops up where people are talking about a country then I think it's totally fine to chime in that you've been there and maybe tell a short story about it.
>>
>>1156302
you can't.

1. they don't care
2. if they do care, they might be jealous
3. they don't understand. talking about ti makes them listen to your attempt to make them understand. making someone understand something is perceived and/or may be "pretentious"

for a normie, talk about travel is
1. how's the food?
2. hear the girls are hot

so it's basically the same extent as shit they talk about back home, except the people look funny and speak a different language, so you can't gossip.

why? because talking isn't usually about sharing information. talking is about relating to other people, and it's hard to DO that with something whose appeal is fundamentally because t's exotic and unrelateable.

you can't make a person less dumb, and you can't expand their mind. so don't bother. is this a thread about talkng to people about travel, or a thread about you trying to proselytize?

people who are naturally interested will be open to it. I don't force conversations about hockey or economics onto people either. and if, in fact, you want to, you might be just as narrowminded and socially incapable as the normies, except you have a different niche.

my 2c.
>>
>>1156502
>don't tell people that they should go places

What is wrong with you that you think this is 'pretentious'?
>>
>>1157340
I meet this dude at a bar, and he came off as an asshole. When I thought about it later he seemed like an asshole because he was coming off as pretentious. He talked about travel a lot, how he doesn't think not having money to do it is a good enough excuse, and how he didn't like some places because they aren't the same any more.
Honestly, I don't hold it against him it's a big part of his life, and I like to hear about that stuff, but he sounded pretentious. I was wondering how he could not come off like that.
I also don't want to come off like that if the subject comes up. I've noticed people's apprehension to the subject, from people who have done it and those who have not. I've learned to sort of just avoid the subject.
>>
>>1156520
>>Don't act like anyone can quit their job and start travelling
>Goddammit I hate this one. So many travel blogs written by boring white American women who go on and on about this.
But, you're reading their blog...their. blog. They can write however they want. You joined the conversation by going to their page, or you could ignore it.
>>
>>1157366
>>>1156502
>>don't tell people that they should go places
>What is wrong with you that you think this is 'pretentious'?
It's not pretentious unless you think it's pleasant to tell people where to go and where to spend their money and that their interests are your interests and you've vetted the place, so trust your opinion.

You don't know how many people I've traveled with over the years who seem normal but are shit as travelers who see the glass half empty in places no one else does, sleep in, or have 4 hour morning routines, don't like to eat, don't like to spend money, find the hotel the point of the trip, are rude to local people, don't find fun things fun, don't like to do finer things, have no sense of danger, no sense of direction, no common sense. Some people don't get it and never get it, so you sound stupid to say something like "ohhh, you should go there."

Case in point. People in /trv love the shit out of Iceland. Anthony Bourdain hated it. That show was so painful to watch because of the amplitude of negativity. I actually think he had norovirus or sleeping sickness, he was so out of sorts. Granted, he didn't go in tourist season, which wasn't an ideal move, and didn't leave the city really, and just superdepressed. But, who hates Iceland? Easily someone who had no money would not enjoy it, and someone who doesn't have a car can barely see it. That's who. Mexico City? Beijing? A place people with disgust at lungs full of black smoke and gross bathrooms might just be put off of to the point of just not even getting to experience the culture outside of the lack of cleanliness. So, when you translate that to telling people they would like something, maybe they want the 4star experience, and it's simply not possible there, or vice versa. Don't presume and project.
>>
>>1157333

>there's no point in talking about something at all if you can't even give your opinion on it.

You are a conceited prick. When non-/trv/lers travel, they travel as tourists. They spend a day or 2 at a place, take lots of photos, visit some attractions they read about online, buy a souvenir, and return home. THEY ARE TOURISTS. When you call something "touristic" or calling popular tourist destinations "overrated" you are literally talking shit about them and how they choose to enjoy themselves.

>If a topic pops up where people are talking about a country then I think it's totally fine to chime in that you've been there and maybe tell a short story about it.

Only if it's a good story. If it's a boring story with no real ending where you're clearly just bragging about your travels, you'll notice a lot of people coming up with reasons why they have to leave.
>>
>>1156541
>stupid generic travel tattoos in general

I don't mind tattoos at all, I even have several, but the amount of "wanderlust" tattoos or fucking compasses I've seen etched into people's bodies at this point is just tiring

please just get something original
>>
>>1156502
Are people really this retarded or are you just making unjustified assumptions?
>>
Like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=178xvHzPYgY
>>
>>1157875
thats to painful to watch
>>
Stick to your guns. I had a buddy I used to work with who was a total towny. His whole life he had ventured no more than 80 miles from his home town.
I was watching a Netflix show about chefs during break and he tried chiming in about how stupid the guy is for sounding "foreign". I reminded him I was foreign, and also that he needs to learn to appreciate how wonderfully massive and crazy the world is. It wasn't an argument. I just stood my ground and let him know his comment was fucking dumb.
>>
>>1157711
>When you call something "touristic" or calling popular tourist destinations "overrated" you are literally talking shit about them and how they choose to enjoy thems
No you aren't, I've heard plenty of people describe thing as tourist traps. Even people who don't travel much don't want to be surrounded by throngs of foreigners if they can avoid it. Most people who travel do want to see all the big things, but if it's going to be filled with tourists they don't want to nearly as much, same reason a lot of "normies" recommend against Venice or Pompeii. Everyone travels as a tourist including /trv/lers, unless you're living somewhere for months at a time.

>Only if it's a good story
There was a separate category for shitty stories that don't go anywhere, so if you don't have a good story you obviously shouldn't tell it regardless.
>>
There's nothing wrong with talking about places you've been as long as it has some relevance to the topic and you're not being obnoxious. I think pretentious is perhaps the wrong word here - it's only pretentious if you're an absolute cunt.

You don't need to have shared an experience with someone to talk about something. I personally enjoy hearing about others' experiences abroad, and if you ask people they're usually eager to share stories and advice.
>>
>>1156502

>"overrated"

I never say overrated, but some things are certainly disappointing. You are allowed to have an opinion on things, it's literally what makes for discussion and conversation, you beta male.
>>
I think the tone in which you deliver the information has a lot to do with how something is taken. I am probably a normie, by this boards standards. Although I have traveled a good bit, it has been structured and not for any extended time. I like to hear about the places people have been and the things they have done. Just don't talk down to me like I am less of a person because I don't have the experience you do. Normally if I am still making eye contact and asking questions, I am still engaged and with you. Make sure you break enough to let talk and ask, and don't just go from one trip to another and another. I don't have a problem with you saying something is overrated, I know that is only an opinion, but I am usually trying to decide if it is something I would like to do sometime, so I need some information.
>>
>>1157930
Pompei is filled with tourists? When I was there the whole place was pretty much deserted.
>>
>>1156302

Answer questions and leave it at that.
>>
File: 1407325753329.jpg (46KB, 563x563px)
1407325753329.jpg
46KB, 563x563px
>>1156308

tfw it's the only way I can travel
>>
>>1157340
> for a normie, talk about travel is
>1. how's the food?
>2. hear the girls are hot

Well, that's usually what I talk about as well, combined with architecture and/or nature.
What else do you consider travel to be?
>>
>normies
What kind of a pretentious dick do you have to be to look down on other people and consider then "normies"? What kind of special little snowflake do you think you are? Stop being a narcissistic jerk and the rest will come.
>>
File: 0e9.jpg (27KB, 600x600px)
0e9.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>>1158283
>>
>>1156308
NEET detected.
>>
>>1156502

In fact, just say "the Otherland, you know, Nonamerica."
>>
File: 1457928120334.gif (2MB, 600x450px)
1457928120334.gif
2MB, 600x450px
>>1156304
What I really hate is fucking normalfags posting on 4chan.
>>
>>1158283

normie get out
>>
>>1156302

>never bring it up unless someone asks
>if they ask what am I planning to do in summer vacation etc I say "I'll maybe go tralevelling a bit", not flashing out my Southeast Asia travel plan of two months. Also remember to ask them what they are gonna do, so it's not a monologue of my vacation.
>if someone says something along lines "I'll just maybe go to beach and barbecue and then paint the fence this summer" try and not make them feel boring as hell. Even if they don't want to/can't travel it'll make them feel bad if you scoff at their life choices.
>when we reach the point of them asking "where do you travel/how far/how long/isn't that expensive" I'll try and make it sound like a hobby. It is okay to be passionate and have travel autism if they see it as a hobby. I avoid talking about money itself, more about the small tricks that I am planning to use to cut the costs and so on.
>if you are asked about recommendations then ask them what they would like to see/experience and answer accordingly, don't just advertise your favourite rafting location and call every tourist attraction waste of time and money, not everyone seeks same things as I do.
>>
>>1160373
you sound like a nice, considerate person anon. props to you
>>
>>1156304
>>1158283
>normies say the darndest things
>>
>>1156302
Get rich, pretentious friends. Then every conversation about traveling just turns into a dick measuring contest.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.