[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Egypt/post-upheaval returns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: egypt.jpg (384KB, 933x1280px) Image search: [Google]
egypt.jpg
384KB, 933x1280px
Has anyone here been to Egypt since Arab Spring/2011?

I've always wanted to go to see the historical sites and am only now in a position where I can afford it, but I'm a bit wary that the place has become more conservative since the conflict. I'd love to take my girlfriend to Cairo, but apparently the level of sexual harassment has gone up, and she does not take that shit lightly at all.

So, if anyone's been to Cairo recently, especially women, can you tell me a bit about your experience?

Also, how about a general discussion on re-visiting places after a big political upheaval? Have you ever been somewhere where tourism was affected by a new tension in the country?
>>
>>1155993

White European guy here,

I went to Egypt last April and it was fine. A lot of the major tourist sites like the Pyramids (which are in Cairo) and Abu Simbel were very quiet with no tourist crowds, which was nice as I imagine they were horribly crowded before the revolution.

Walking around Cairo was also fine, and I didn't notice any of the girls who were with me getting harassed and they certainly didn't mention anything. We even went to the Al Azhar mosque at Friday prayer time and it was fine, we just had to stand in the main courtyard and the girls had to go into a side room, but every mosque seems to be like that.

Overall, if anything now is probably a good time to go to Egypt as it's much less touristy than it used to be. I never felt unsafe, although I did feel a bit sorry for the people in the markets who used to make their living from all the tourists. Apparently the Egyptian economy's taken a massive hit from the lack of tourists these days. Also bear in mind that France has had more major terrorist attacks than Egypt this year.
>>
>>1156007
OP here.

That's good to hear. I've been visiting my home country of Ireland with my girlfriend recently (she's Argentinian) and the level of tourist crowding has really been taking away from things like the Cliffs of Moher and Newgrange.

Funny you should mention France, because I was just in Paris a few months ago, having visited it 3 years earlier, and the atmosphere there is definitely a lot more tense. Getting into the Louvre or leaving the airport and seeing armed soldiers patrolling everywhere definitely added a sense of tension that was a dampener. It's a little different though, considering that it was an aberrant terrorist attack and not so much a shift in the entire city's culture itself.

But whatever, I'm getting a bit over-dramatic here. Hopefully I can get to Cairo early next year with little worry. How was it price-wise? Hate to sound like a scab, but things must be much cheaper with tourism taking a dive.
>>
>>1156021

Yeah, well there were plenty of armed policemen in Egypt when I was there too, but I think that's pretty normal for Egypt. At a cafe in Abu Simbel I literally saw a pile of guns next to some policemen, which was a bit scary

Price wise Egypt/Cairo is crazy cheap. I got a 3 course meal on my first night for the equivalent of like €2, and you can get a felafel wrap for like €0.20. Beer's cheap too, for a Muslim country
>>
>>1156007
>the Egyptian economy's taken a massive hit from the lack of tourists these days.
That happens every few years or so because people become afraid to visit due to terrorism.

I wonder if Egypt is more or less touristy now than it was after the Luxor Massacre.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxor_massacre
>>
>>1156062
Holy fuck that's cheap! Speaking of beer, is it legal and openly drank by non-Muslims, or do you have to keep it on the DL?
>>
>>1156085

Well it's not exactly open, but it's not hard at all to get beer or wine at all, my hotel in Cairo sold it, and a lot of restaurants will too. Egypt has a sizeable Coptic Christian minority, who make quite a bit of wine and beer. Egyptian wine is absolutely dreadful though
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.