[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Backpacking around Greece

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 102310-004-5D886004.jpg (37KB, 550x373px) Image search: [Google]
102310-004-5D886004.jpg
37KB, 550x373px
I've begun planning for a 2 week backpacking trip around Greece after Christmas 2016, and I'm trying to see as much ancient history as I can. I've never been to Greece before but my general plan is to start in Athens and travel down into the Peloponnese possibly ending in Crete.
I'd appreciate any help or advice you guys have on anything to see or do, or any advice on the best way to travel around.
>>
Bump and Since this is a Greece related thread,does anyone have experience on Rhodes island?
>>
>>1155389

Hello, I have done a similar trip recently, I guess I could help you.

For Athens you should pretty much stick around the historical downtown (Acropolis etc). Apart from the actual Parthenon must sees are the Acropolis museum and the National Archaeological (which although a bit further from the center is much more interesting imho). The city is not very attractive apart from the old center, but it has a nice nightlife I find.

Peloponnese has some nice coastal towns with old castles (and nice beaches all round). The most interesting historical sites are Olympia and Mycenae.

Crete is serviceable by boat from Athens. It takes a whole night to get there. The coastline around Iraklion is full of hotels and tourist facilties so you have to go a bit further to find a nice spot but they are very worth it. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of places I missed myself but maybe you can find more online.
>>
>>1155389
>>1155963

So if you are backpacking I imagine you won't be driving your own car, which is good, since it can be dangerous outside the main highways.

To move around use the bus: http://www.greeka.com/greece-travel/buses/
Don't bother with trains outside the metro in Athens (surprisingly clean btw), they suck.

It would greatly help if you can find info and organise your trips beforehand to use public transportation (Athens mostly) since it saves a lot of money compared to taxis.

Safety can be dodgy at times but I don't think you're gonna be in physical danger ever, just keep your mind in some very crowded areas for pickpockets or con men. (never had anything happen to me btw)

If you go around Christmas prices will be much lower than summer, but also expect a lot of the tourist-oriented infrastructure to be out of commission for the season.
>>
>>1155965
>>1155963

Thanks a lot! Do you guys know whether ferries would be running to Crete in Winter time? searching for this stuff is really hard on google.
>>
>>1156567
Of course, Crete has a very big population.. The boats always run.
>>
>>1157767
Plus, you can find dirt cheap flights with ryanair to Crete[spoiler][/spoiler]
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.