[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So i've been living a fairly "/trv/" life for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

So i've been living a fairly "/trv/" life for the last 2 yrs, traveling through mexico and teaching english to pay the bills.

I just finished a gig, going to do some more traveling with a friend, and then I want to do something different.

With all the fucked stuff going on in the world, I have a really strong desire to do something to actually help others. Obviously syria stands out as the most dramatic area in need of humanitarian work, but as I understand it NGOs really arent looking for foreigners to go into the country and that I'd be more of a hindrance than anything.

Basically, I'm really interested in doing humanitarian work anywhere in MENA, eastern EU, central Asia region. I'm not looking for "fun" work that lets me enjoy myself while smugly thinking I'm making a difference. I want to see, as best as a first-world observer can, the true hardships and have as unfiltered of an experience as possible.

This seems like the best board to ask, anyone here have experience doing NGO work/volunteering in "difficult" parts of the world?

what are some resources or sites I should be starting with in my search?

pic not related in the least
>>
>>1154931
>I'd be more of a hindrance than anything.

This is going to be the case almost anywhere that is in crisis -- the last thing they need is to have to feed and support unskilled but earnest "help" as well as the people who live in the middle of a crisis. Unless you have a particular set f needed skills, they don;t need you there.

So look for areas with more chronic problems of poverty, etc. Did some work in Guatemala some years back, learned to install and operate a water purification system that would provide safe drinking water for a small village, got hooked up with a missionary group that was installing them and teaching the locals how to operate and service them. Presumably somebody is doing similar things in the region you are interested in -- Google is your friend there, I guess.
>>
>>1154934
Yeah, i mean its pretty obvious I think that I would not be welcome at "ground zero" as an unskilled volunteer (although i guess I can weld, that might be useful).

Was thinking more similar to what youre talking about, more permanent solutions to deeply-entrenched problems.

I've just spent a lot of the past 4 years in latin america and I'd like to get to a new part of the world.

Problem with google is that its rather difficult to find specific things in searches. If I knew any specific groups it would be a bit easier.
>>
>>1154931
Peace Corps
>>
>>1154955
Actually literally on their site right now.

Some interesting opportunities in "youth development" and secondary english teaching in eastern europe and central asia. and also morocco

have heard some negatives about PC though, anyone here done it and can share their experience?
>>
>>1154955
>>1154957
Not exactly volunteering, but getting in with the Department of State is good, too.
>>
>>1154958
word, I'll look into it.

I've been doing research into Iraqi Kurdistan, since thats an area I'm interested in, and seeing that there seem to be calls for non-skilled volunteers hlping with stuff like constructing/running refugee centers, etc.

However, I'm having trouble finding actual info on volunteering, ie: places to sign up or contact.
>>
>>1154968
If you're planning on helping a single refugee emigrate to Europe, you are the worst type of scum imaginable.
>>
I'd say if you're new to this start off in a developing but stable country. See if there's anything on offer in Laos, Cambodia or Myanmar. Work for a year there developing skills that would be useful in other nations trying to raise the average person out of poverty. Then once you're a valuable resource to organizations working with specific groups in places like Kurdistan or somewhere in Africa impacted by war, you'll find this sort of work easily.
>>
>>1154968
if you want to help people you could start by killing yourself. you sound like a naive piece of shit that's going to get other people hurt just so he can look like a nice guy
>>
>>1154984
Shut up. Your projection is showing.
>>
>>1154970
back to the containment board for you!
>>
>>1154975
excellent advice, thanks.

I've done smaller-scale like short term volunteer work in latin america, but i guess more "real" experience would open things up to me. Maybe I'll look for stuff here in Mexico or in Colombia, hear they have a lot of NGO work going on nowadays
>>
>>1155024
yeah, what great advice. thanks for bringing the "Democratic" revolution to egypt. I'm sure that improved things a lot. good job. you shouldn't feel bad about what happened at all

anything stupid you do is clearly the fault of someone else. you're a winner!
>>
>>1155022
And back to the containment country for you -> Turkey
>>
>>1154968
Fuck off and go eat your hamburger retarded piece of shit.
>>
>>1155134
ouch! that wasnt very nice
>>
>>1155152
It's nicer than bombing my country with radioactive ammo that will continue to give us cancer for a century. Now fuck off. No one wants you people anywhere.
>>
>>1155158
see op? these are the types of people you're trying to "help"

realistically they'll just saw your head off, and if you're a woman, rape you to death.

thanks for helping them come into our countries. vote for your local right wing party or we'll send you to terrorland with the rest of them
>>
>>1155022
>/pol/
>not influencing presidential politics at it's highest levels
>>
>>1155172
>thanks for helping them come into our countries.
No one is helping us come into "your countries", we're too white and European for your taste.
>>
File: fag.jpg (47KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
fag.jpg
47KB, 640x480px
>>1154931
Come "help" the black kids in Chicago, its just as dangerous, if not more so, than Syria.
>>
>>1155158
alright Abdul, just remember that however bad you say whites are, you will always be less than us
>>
>>1154931
why do you have a pick of Laura P bro?
>>
>>1154958
>but getting in with the Department of State is good, too

Easier said than done.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.