[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solo backpacking down west coast of Africa

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: africa.jpg (9KB, 219x230px) Image search: [Google]
africa.jpg
9KB, 219x230px
As a young guy with not that much experience but a lot of time to plan ... Is it suicide? I was thinking Morocco to Lagos, don't have to go right along the coast but something like that. Transportation? thoughts?

Thanks in advance
>>
If I did this I'd cut through southern Mali, which is safe enough, then down into Ghana, Would save a lot of hassle and tropical illness.
I'd hitchhike and use public transport in equal measure -- public transport there can be so bad hitchhiking can often get you there faster.
Have you seen the ongoing motorbike thread?
>>
File: 000888.png (67KB, 255x199px) Image search: [Google]
000888.png
67KB, 255x199px
>>1154501
>West Africa
>hitchhike
>>
>>1154501
>>1154504
I haven't seen the ongoing motorbike thread but I'll definitely check it out, I was thinking to motorbike at least part of the way for sure. And yeah idk bout hitchhiking? cutting through southern mali would be good. Should I worry much about tropical disease as you said? I'll definitely get some vaccinations before going.
>>
>>1154506
>vaccinations
Don't they cause cancer and alzheimers?
>>
>>1154489
hey dude, I'm doing the whole coast of africa pretty soon, got next to no experience. when are you leaving? I'm fixing my visas asap, but skipping some countries. if you'd like contactinfo let me know.
>>
>>1154614
Yo I'm leaving probably at the very beginning of november or something like that. How much of a pain in the ass are visas? o.o
>>
OP strikes me as someone who's bound to get killed.
>>
>>1154489
>>1132461
>>
>>1154489
Alright OP.

There is the itinerary you want : Morocco, Western Sahara (kek), Mauritania, Mali (or Guinea, but it's more sketchy), Burkina Faso, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Nigeria. Stay away from Liberia and Sierra Leone. Mali is not exactly safe outside of Bamako so I would not advise crossing north to south. Also, that would mean you'd come from eastern Mauritania and there is like fuck all there.

Visas are a pain in the ass to be done locally (corruption and al'), and takes a long time to be done in your home country (I assume you're a westerner).

Transportations : there are shared taxis and buses from cities to cities. Local shared taxis will allow you to radiate to close by regions easily. Roads can be in a bad condition on western expectations of quality, but they all work, it's not 1850s anymore. It can be a bit hectic to find where the hell buses stop and go, where to buy tickets.

Africa is fairly expensive for what it is. We're not talking Asia cheap but rather 60USD a night for an AC-less room in the city, 1/3 or 1/2 of that in the countryside. Huge discrepancy of prices between countries/currencies. Food ain't cheap either in sit down restaurants. Finally, African cities are all sprawls lacking cheap public transportation. You'll end up spending a lot in moto taxis and taxis.

(cont)
>>
>>1154867
If you speak French, it will be difficult but feasible. It will also be a LOT more enjoyable because the major upsides of Western Africa are the culture and the people themselves, very friendly and talkative in their own particular way. I mean, landscapes get quickly boring and architecture is lol no. Most of the countries you plan to cross are French-speaking, obv.

If you don't, well, good luck bribing dem cops and force through until you reach Ghana/Nigeria. Still feasible, West Africa is fairly peaceful (except Guinea/Mali where you don't want to stay put for too long). But damn, you will lose your mind a few time along the way.

Honestly, if you have little experience, just do like everyone else and go to SEA first. Then go do this trip in West Africa. If you jump steps, you'll just get upset and probably burnt out. Take your time.
>>
>>1154868
When you say you will lose your mind a few times along the way what do you mean? I mean I know what you mean but I want to hear it in your words
>>
>>1154839
I'm probebly leaving in that same timeframe.
morroco is free. Maurtania is 120€ from Berlin, also dangerous. Sengal and Gambia is free on entery(demands vacinationcard like alot of african countries) Kapp verde ispossible to get on entry, but you might not get it and it might be 60€. Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Cote d' Ivore, Togo, Benin, Nigeria and kamerun is semi-costly, but possible to get if you apply before the trip. All or most visas must be applied at the embassy (I belive, please correct me) depends on where you are from, but you need to go to the closest embassy, for europe most lies in Berlin, Paris, Amsterdam, and others (do not expect that all embassies lies in on city. I'm starting morocco and might take some embassies in europe, but I belive i'll try to get some in morroco, hoping for the best.
let me know if shit where unclear, Dank here.
>>
>>1155576
You can get all visas in the neighboring countries much cheaper, faster than in Europe and with less hassle. Unless you wish to spend 2 days in each country, that's the way to go.
>>
>>1154508
anti-vaxxers cause much more cancer than vaccines ever will
>>
>>1154508
And autism.
>>
>>1155864
This is not b, if you tell a meme often enough people won't start to belive it.
>>
>>1155605
Are you shure this is possible? Some sources?
Btw norwegian (not eu passport)
>>
>>1155999
For people who are interested, Yes it looks like it's possible and better for most passports to do it this way. (ansswar to my self btw) still not 100%shure, but from le interwebs it should work (atleast eu, commonwealth and north america)
Annyone have pointers and input, this would be much abliged.
Annyone knows how much it should cost?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.