[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General: Favorite Memory Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 32

File: fushimiinarinight.jpg (298KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
fushimiinarinight.jpg
298KB, 2048x1365px
New Japan General
What's your favorite memory of Japan? One of mine was visiting fushimi inari at night, pretty spooky.

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1150987
>>
File: 20160630_221642.jpg (858KB, 2322x4128px) Image search: [Google]
20160630_221642.jpg
858KB, 2322x4128px
Me and a friend met up with an Israelite in Kawaguchiko to go bar hopping. We drove to a few bars but they were all closed (it was 10PM, y japanese people) but eventually we ended up in a building complex and found an expensive bar/restaurant. We didn't like the vibe so we decided to leave and we saw a door two doors down with no signs or anything on it. One of us opens it and it leads to a rock pathway (btw this was on the 2nd story) which leads to another, smaller door. We knock gently and open it to find the classiest goddamn bar I've ever seen, dim lights (with lights just to shine on the drinks), a bartender in uniform shaving ice, and lounge music playing. We were there for like 2 hours and didn't see anyone else besides the bartender.

Pic related, I tried to get video of the bartender masterfully mixing a drink but he was camera shy.
>>
Thoughts on visiting Japan in 2020 during the Olympics?

Either Tokyo for the games or other places while the tourists are all centralized in Tokyo.
>>
>>1153517
This is obvious, but just prepare for really high price hikes for EVERYTHING if you're thinking to go. Otherwise, I'm considering it as well. I could kill two birds with one stone if I go.
>>
File: Dead.jpg (201KB, 2000x1417px) Image search: [Google]
Dead.jpg
201KB, 2000x1417px
Yo so im going to Japan next summer and i got some spare brain power so i have set myself the goal to just learn Japanese to get the most out of it when im finally there.

Problem tho.
Why in the world is there Hiragana and Katakana.. as far as i understand there is not much reason to learn both.. is this true? I want to be able to speak somewhat fluent Japanese.

ALSO while we are at it, i looked at prostitute prices and its around 60-80k Jap money for 90 mins?!? WTF? is there no way to just get a quick fuck if im bored or wha?
>>
>>1153555
Hiragana and Katakana are for writing so you technically don't need them to "speak somewhat fluent Japanese." Yes, you need to learn both if you want to read/write since they use both in everything. To not learn both would be like trying to learn English without learning half the alphabet.

In a nutshell, katakana is for foreign words (non-Japanese in origin), e.g. "beer" would be written in katakana on a menu (bii-ru), while "udon" would be written in hiragana (u-do-n). As there are shittons of loanwords in the Japanese language, you would be really shooting yourself in the foot to not learn katakana.
>>
>>1153555
>i got some spare brain power

>Why in the world is there Hiragana and Katakana
>there is not much reason to learn both
>60-80k Jap money
>is there no way to just get a quick fuck if im bored or wha?
Where exactly do you store that extra brain power?
>>
>>1153570
You do know this is 4chan right?

>>1153568
Thx bro.
>>
>>1153570
Haha I died.
>>
Planning on going next summer
I'm learning Japanese now, but anywhere I should go besides Tokyo?
>>
>>1153578
>You do know this is 4chan right?
That doesn't mean you're obliged to post as a brain-dead muppet. Come on, anon.
>>
>>1153606
Depends on what you're interested in. Kyoto, Fuji, Kure, Hiroshima, Nikko, Aomori. Tons of places depending on your taste and interests.
>>
>>1153617
>>1153570
You two seem quite angry. He just asked some qustions, grow up.

>>1153555
Learn both for sure, it will help you in the long run!
Where in Japan are you going next summer?
>>
Anyone here got experience with the following festivals? Wanna know what they're like/what time of the day they are/if they're worth goin' to:

Takata no Inoko
3 December
Sakurai, Nara Prefecture

Sanpoji Daikon Festival
9 & 10 December
Sanpoji Temple, Narutaki, Kyoto

Gishisai Festival
14 December
Sengakuji Temple, Minato-ku, Tokyo

Setagaya no Boro Ichi
15-16 December
Setagaya-ku, Tokyo

Asakusa Kannon Hagoita-ichi
17-19 December
Senso-ji Temple, Asakusu, Tokyo

I'm a food fanatic so any insight into food stalls or whatever for whichever ones you've been to would be great.
>>
I'm staying in Takatsuki City (between Osaka and Kyoto) for 50 days or so. Therefore, I'm definetly using the train to travel to those two cities almost daily.

Is there a possibility to pay a bus/train pass as a tourist? I'd guess it would be cheaper than spending 5€ or 10€ everyday but the only option I can find is the expensive JR Pass that is not suitable for my situation.
>>
Anyone in a hotel in shinjuku right now?
I am, ama fampai
>>
File: dance.jpg (269KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
dance.jpg
269KB, 2048x1152px
>>1153629
Haven't been to any of those festivals but IMO they are always worth checking out because the festival could be anything from a small parade and taiko drumming to huge ass lantern floats to an outdoor evening performance with miko and geisha dancing, pic related.

Food is always going to be the same kinds of stall foods (yakisoba, gyoza, takoyaki, taiyaki, candied fruits, etc), just try whatever looks delicious to you.
>>
File: 037.jpg (607KB, 1500x1920px) Image search: [Google]
037.jpg
607KB, 1500x1920px
just uploaded this on my home board if anybody is interested
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0jc0NJQ4qefc2xhUHd2a0I0bVU?usp=sharing

bar guide for Tokyo and Osaka
>>
where can i go to have sex with prostitutes near the airport?
>>
>>1153685

Stupid question probably but how can I use this. I don't read Japanese, but really would like to spend a couple days bar hopping Tokyo. Thx
>>
>>1153686
read the OP
>>
how is it traveling to japan as a black guy?
>>
>>1153700
I'd say: look through the pics, what you're interested in can be googled (if the name is in English) or you can use google translate to grab the Japanese text so that you can look up the address
>>
Anyone teach in Japan? I want to do it when I graduate in a couple years. I'm going to start taking Japanese language classes this semester.

Any tips/experiences/advice/whatever?
>>
>>1153708
99% of the time its the same as traveling as anyone that isn't Asian. Japanese think of you as foreigner first before they think anything of your race.
>>
>>1153713
Interview on a tourist visa if you can afford it, in the city you actually want to end up in.

JET is the highest paying with the shittiest placement. There are different levels to the eikaiwas but they are mostly the same shit. Most important thing is getting the visa. Once you have it you're free to quit immediately and work somewhere else. Most places besides the largest eikaiwas will not sponsor a visa but will gladly offer you work once you have one
>>
>>1153717
What do you mean by shitty placement?

I think I would actually rather be placed in a smaller city, if by "shitty placement" you mean not places like Tokyo
>>
File: Shonan3.jpg (40KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Shonan3.jpg
40KB, 600x400px
Any surfers that live there or have done a trip? I'm going to Tokyo/Kyoto from 9/31 to 10/10.

Does anyone know how to get to surf spots in the Shōnan region easily with a JR pass? Hopefully the spot in the video below or pic related?

(7:40)
http://stabmag.com/stabcinema/ian-crane-dylan-goodale-and-chase-wilson-are-wingless-byrds-in-japan/
>>
>>1153718
Pretty much every place that could be considered a city has given up on the JET program and instead prefer to use things like Interac since the caliber of teachers is about the same but I think they get more leeway in getting rid of them if they suck.

If you do JET you'll make more money than anyone who isn't a sad sack thats been teaching for 10+ years at a place thats not a university, but you will be placed in some inaka.
>>
>>1153720
Wait, so if I go through JET, I'll get paid more and get to be in a smaller town?

Do you know what the smaller towns are like or know of any specific towns I might go to?

I grew up in a town with a population of around 5000 and I hate places like LA and Las Vegas, so this actually sounds really good to me
>>
>>1153721
It can be anywhere in the country, but the major cities don't participate anymore.

Honestly if you don't speak Japanese I doubt it'll be as nice as you imagine. You might adjust better and probably won't be one of the people spending their entire pay check commuting to the nearest city on the weekend, but you will feel very isolated until you get your Japanese skills up and even then you'll have to hope you get placed somewhere with people that are willing to treat you as a person instead of a novelty which is a total crap shoot especially if your past few successors were lazy assholes
>>
>>1153722
I ride motorcycles a lot, so if I get put in a small town I'm planning on getting a motorcycle there which shouldn't be too expensive and I'd be able to take that to larger cities. If I'm in a larger city I probably won't get a car or motorcycle though. So weekend commutes shouldn't be too much of a problem for me.

I still have a couple years to study Japanese so I guess depending on how comfortable I am with the language will help me decide if I want to go to a big city or somewhere rural.

Thanks for the information
>>
Anyone have any advice for apartments in Tokyo? I'm currently booked to be there for a month from Dec15 to Jan15, and I'm not quite sure how the rent system works with some websites. I'm looking at sites like Oak/Bamboo House-- because I'm moving in halfway through the month, will it be the case that I pay for 2 months worth of rent?
>>
>>1153555
Katakana is for words that came from other countries forex In Japan things like foreground car company, sports team, foreigion food and etc, anything not from japan is written in katakana
>>
>>1153606
Osaka
>>
going to tokyo in dec , staying in shinjuku , any places near by that u guys can recommend me to visit? i would like some recommendations on the soaplands u guys visit at well
>>
>>1153759
You real jap?
Where are you located?
>>
>>1153685
This is fantastic, thanks man!
>>
File: DSCF1375.jpg (6MB, 4896x3264px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1375.jpg
6MB, 4896x3264px
My favorite memory was maybe just arriving in Tokyo and just that feeling of a new experience blah blah (first time leaving north america and I'm a weeb.)

Memory that sticks out most was climbing Mt. Inari and this weird Japanese guy talked to me about pervy shit for most of the climb.
>>
Goddamn all the other foreigners I see here are ugly as fuck, ESPECIALLY the women. What's up with that?
>>
>>1153780
They are thinking the same about you Pablo
>>
>>1153782

Mate I'm white as shit. Most likely whiter than you. My dna is 99.7% White.
Don't give me that Pablo shit you swarthy little faggot.
>>
>>1153780
this is a fairly common commentary

generally the maxim that they are losers back home is true
>>
Is there a site for meetups in Osaka? Not even dating, just getting to know people.
>>
>>1153783
Doesn't mean shit when your face looks like it's been hit by a bus.
>>
>>1153785
as in website? I used meetup.com before and met some people in Tokyo, I'm sure that there's also one in Osaka
>>
>>1153787

Looks good. How exactly does it work?
>>
>>1153790
just sign up and join any event there. There's usually a place and time to meet up written there so just show up and you'll be fine. Sometimes the events are organized and you'll be asked to pay a small fee (e.g. 500-800 Yen for Snacks, drinks etc.)
>>
>>1153786

Well thanks for the concern Jamal, but I wouldn't have made the comment if I wasn't comfortable with my own looks.
>>
Anyone know if I can get blister bandages in Japan, and what they would be called? I have a fucked up one on my toe and I'm really worried that I'll have fucked feet for the rest of my trip.
>>
>>1153791

So there are no fees or anything like that for the site itself?
>>
>>1153792
Al right Tyrone you better not be that German behind.
>>
>>1153748
Shoot them an email, I'm sure they'll be happy to run you through the details. Are you looking for a studio?

In general, look through as many sites as you can to find what fits you best. Some places might only let you book 30 days in advance.
>>
>>1153763
Shinjuku gyoen (Garden of Words), Yakitori Marukin for cheap drink-all-you-want deal, cat cafes if you're into that kind of thing, 100Y store.
>>
File: Img.jpg (1MB, 3254x2023px) Image search: [Google]
Img.jpg
1MB, 3254x2023px
>What's your favorite memory of Japan?

Swimming at one of it's shitty beaches in its shitty weather, after which we split watermelon like good gaijin as the locals filmed and laughed at us from the distance. Then when it got dark we lit fireworks and the beach security ojiisan came out to make sure we weren't going to slip and fall to our deaths. Grabbed some grub at McDonald's and had a comfy long ride back to Tokyo.
>>
serious question

how is the gay scene in japan (tokyo) im going for 2 weeks and i was thinking that i might as well get some dick
>>
>>1153780
Foreigners always look extra good to me when I'm over there, being surrounded by asians makes them stand out in comparison.

But anyway, most people are ugly, and super attractive people don't holiday in nerdy countries like Japan when they could go to some beach/party location instead.
>>
>>1153799
Thanks , will look into those that u suggested
>>
I plan to go to Japan alone/with friend next year, I don't really know much japanese, I would be interested in anime related things and also the local food, which cities and places should I visit?
>>
>>1153815
>Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Try that. Other than that, be more specific, trying "local food" is not really difficult if you travel to Japan and anime related things will be found in Akihabara (which you should normally know if you're into anime related things)
>>
File: (1).jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
(1).jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1153763
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/attractions/metropolitan_govt_bldg/
>>
>>1153820
Looks interesting ,might give it a shot , thanks
>>
>>1153685
Do I have to download each separately?
>>
I have a lot of favorite memories

>discovering, hidden Izakaya in a small dark alley near Aso, sitting there with a girl I met just that day, drinking and eating and talking the night away

>sitting on the rooftop of my hostel in Ishigaki and watching the most beautiful starry sky I have ever seen while counting shooting stars (easily 20 in one hour)

>watching the sun rise from the top of Mt. Fuji

>waiting for the bus on a foggy hill in Nagasaki with the dull sound of the Yuru Yuri opening sounding from the distance (no idea why to this day)

>spending 5+ hours each day taking pictures of cosplayers at comiket

>walking around Nokonoshima in August, on the first sunny day in two weeks while enjoying the quietness and emptiness of it

I really miss Japan and I'm sad that I won't be back for almost a year
>>
File: image.jpg (445KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
445KB, 1600x1200px
Anyone? >>1153630
>>
>>1153805
>https://www.viceland.com/en_us/video/gaycation-japan/568fdf623cd5b1ad4d43efeb

>>1153854
I doubt there is a tourist pass outside of the JR Pass. Most tourists stay in actual tourist cities and not small towns in between, nor do they usually stay in one place for 50 days.

The best you'll find are discounted passes for commuters, students, and the elderly, i.e. residents/locals. Monthly commuter passes are probably available but those usually are only worth it if you take the train at least twice a day every weekday and are most likely tied to one city (e.g. a pass that only works from your origin to Kyoto; a separate pass would probably be needed for Osaka).
>>
>>1153805
Don't count on it Hanz. I have literally seen 1 gay guy in 15 days. Plus the language barrier. ...

It was hard enough getting 2 chicks in 15 days
>>
What camera do you fellow anons use for taking pictures?

Used a iPhone 6 plus for my last visit, mostly for the image stabilization while recording videos. It's the best for that but the pictures weren't that great, especially thanks to the 8MP camera.

Was thinking about an S6 edge+ for them 16MP and native 16:9 pictures.
>>
How big is the anime scene or whatever there?

I plan on moving there but I think anime is dumb (I've watched some things like Spirited Away and Akira but I'm really far from being a weeaboo and most of them annoy the shit out of me). Is this something I'm going to have to deal with a lot?
>>
>>1153907
yeah sorry bro, pretty much everybody watches anime and cosplays on the weekend in public places. They also blast anime openings at train stations and inside of trains and merch is sold at every corner :/
>>
>>1153900
Medium Format film camera and a DSLR
>>
>>1153908
holy shit really?

So it's basically nerd country
>>
How's the night life in Tokyo? Lots of foreigners in clubs I'm assuming? A friend and I are visiting for a while in December and want to party like crazy, but would prefer to experience a mostly "local" crowd rather than a bunch of foreigners, which I know is ironic.
>>
Teaching in Japan:

I know if you want to teach in Japan as an American you're stuck doing English. I'm an Education/Chemistry major right now. How much of a difference would it make if I was Education/English?

I want a STEM degree because I want to teach science when I eventually move back to the states, but would it make a big enough impact on my time in Japan to be worth it if I switch to English now, then get a STEM degree after I move back to the states?
>>
>>1153907
retard
>>
>>1153932
weeaboo nerd
>>
Going to visit Japan for the 3rd time late December. This time - alone for a week. I will be at around N2 level and want to practice. Decided to spent a whole week in Tokyo. What are the best options? Airbnb with a host? Internet search for some japs who want to practice english? Anything else?
Thank you!
>>
>>1153848
I can upload a zip when I'm out of work
>>
>>1153900
I have a DSLR for taking pictures but I'm thinking of buying a little point-and-shoot for those days where I'm too lazy to haul the big guy. An actual camera is almost always going to perform better than a phone camera and is also cheaper.

>>1153907
>Is this something I'm going to have to deal with a lot?
No.

>>1153917
Stick with Chemistry - Japan does not require you to have an degree in English for TESL. Chem also has more higher paying job opportunities outside of teaching. That being said, you could always triple major or do a minor in English. Having English as a minor instead of major is acceptable for pretty much any applicable job.

>>1153945
Airbnb although I wouldn't count on the host being able to hang out with you the entire time as they usually need to work.
>>
>>1153848
I put a zip in the folder you can just download that and it has all of the pics
>>
>>1153568
To be fair, only learning Hiragana could definitely have its advantages compared to learning half the alphabet. Someone could draw a map or write a letter for you as long as they knew you only knew hiragana. That said, you're right that everything is normally written using both, so in terms of doing day to day business it would be virtually useless.
>>
>>1153804
This sounds like an episode straight out of my chinese cartoons
>>
>>1154008
Oh like you wouldn't imagine. Turned out half the people were weebs to some degree or another. Bless you burgers
>>
>>1153854
>Nozomi
>free
what
>>
3 days in Hokkaido in October, any suggestions on things to do other than Daisetzuan?
>>
Why do a lot of Japanese dudes give me death stares? Is it just because I'm a foreigner? The girls are all smiles at me for the most part :/
>>
>>1154091
None seemed to hate me. Other whites on the other hand seemed to gave me death stares even when rI didn't look at them

Had really good fun with some random dudes at some bar. We didn't speak each others language but we had great fun
>>
I know Akihabara shops close up early, but are there any decent bars or anything in that area? I'm not really into clubbing. Would love something I can walk to and not get on a train. If there's not much to do, I might end up getting a vending machine beer and sitting on a bench somewhere.
>>
File: WHY.jpg (33KB, 296x506px) Image search: [Google]
WHY.jpg
33KB, 296x506px
>>1153512
I really want to believe that, but it sounds too cool to be true. How in the fuck does a hidden bar even work? What's the point?
>>
>>1154110
I don't know if that guys lying or not but there are bars that do this. They're usually pretty exclusive and only known about by locals but have really high prices to make up for the low amount of customers and for the exclusive/hidden vibe they have
>>
File: Airbnb.png (16KB, 316x359px) Image search: [Google]
Airbnb.png
16KB, 316x359px
I have a question about Airbnb.
Its my first time booking with them. (not my first time going to japan)

I was wondering if the total price in pic related was per person or just for the room. And if all Airbnb are priced the same way.

Thanks.
>>
>>1154139
I guess an easier way to ask would be is it going to be $125 per person or will we split that between the 3 of us making it $41.66 a person?
>>
>>1154139
I am also interested in the answer to this question
>>
>>1154139
For the room I'm fairly sure. You could always go to the payment page to be sure, there it'll list how much you need to pay in full before you pay it.
>>
>>1154139
For the room. Sometimes there are surcharges for every additional person after 2-3 ppl, but it would've added up automatically.
>>
Does anyone know if there is an anime related shop in narita?
Just walked through akihabara and I Cound not find the figurone For kongo from kankolle
>>
>>1154185
if you can't find it in Akihabara, you sure as hell won't find it in Narita, even if there are anime shops there.

Try Nakano Broadway maybe
>>
>>1154103
Just go to the Hub. You might even get lucky with the girls. The ratio Is 7 out of 10

Of you are not of Aryan decent. Good luck
>>
>>1154185
Did you try all the preowned stores?
>>
>>1154188
We had 2 hours in tokyo before we had to go to narita.
Might have missed a store or two. Some store had it behind glass and it said not for sale.

That's why I wanted to check in narita but I can't find any shop in narita
>>
>>1154189
That's unfortunate, it's pretty much a crapshoot if you're looking for a specific fig.

If you had more time you probably could've ordered off amiami and got it delivered.
>>
im 19 but do bars card foreigners? i can pass for 20+
>>
>>1154213
Can't speak for Japan but they didn't at all in Korea.
>>
>>1154213
In my experience they're usually pretty lax, so if it doesn't work at one bar just go to the next. They shouldn't be able to accurately guess the ages of non-Japanese though.
>>
Favorite memory is probably stumbling across a themed bar in Osaka one night and meeting a bunch of people there. They barely spoke english, we knew fuck all japanese. But we organized to meet up the next evening, i didn't think they'd show up but they did. They were mostly manga artists and graphic designers, plus one dude who works for fromsoft and worked on DS which is fucking crazy. They gave us a drawing as a gift and we added each other on line and we still chat and send pics of what we're up to.

Second fave would probably be in Nara, stumbled across this hidden little temple and some old japanese dude read my fortune for my future, i nearly teared up, it was just an awesome moment.

Fuck i can't wait to go back
>>
>>1154187
Thanks, not really looking to pick up chicks, just talk to interesting people. The Hub looks comfy.
>>
Is couchsurfing recommend? Going there with a friend in November and we are considering it to save money. It's a free place to stay, a tour guide, and a friend mixed in one.
>>
>>1154187
My friend is black and has lived there for over a year. He said the older women in bars always buy him drinks.
>>
Can you get alcohol in japan if you are a 19yo foreigner? I'm not tall and don't look very old, are there vending machines that sell beer?
>>
>>1154272
my god, the question was literally answered 5 posts above yours

Do people not even bother searching the site/thread if something similar was asked?
>>
>>1154110
>>1154112
Yeah I think any of the cocktails were like %9 bucks, the beers and sake my friends got were like $7 or $8.

I found it on Google Maps but 4chan wont let me post the street view. Look it up though. Bottom left is a karaoke bar (we freaked cuss it was packed and literally everyone in the room turned to face the gaijins), top left was said bar/ restaurant we didn't care for, top right middle door is the hidden bar, Bar Oscuro, above the Pakistani place.
>>
>>1153804
>>1154008
UMI DA
>>
I had to deal with the biggest cunt going through customs on my trip to Kyoto.

The bitch interrogated me because she couldn't understand what an airbnb was.

Green tea in Uji was great tho.
>>
Probably a stupid question, but I have never travelled much.

Is it a good idea to travel to my next destination during the evening instead of the morning?
I feel like it would be better since I would be better rested and get more out of the next day.
So for example I'm going from Tokyo to Hakone and I'm only staying there 2 nights, I'd leave Tokyo sunday evening, and then I'd get more out of the 2 days I'll be there.

Also how late do the trains go?
>>
alright i just sent a form over to Sakura House to stay in a vacation home.

is there any way for them to find out im letting 2 addition people stay over? (max is 4) dont wanna pay the extra fees
>>
>>1154228
This sounds amazing. I would've loved to meet and chat with locals like you did, especially those involved in art/graphics design as those pertain to my interests.

>>1154313
I generally avoid mentioning airbnb at all and instead just tell them it's a hostel or a friend's place.

>>1154314
No correct answer here, just travel when you think it's best. Look up when stuff shuts down that you want to do at both origin and destination, how long it takes to get there, and plan accordingly. Schedules are online but you can also put times into hyperdia and google maps to see if trains are running at the times you want.
>>
File: IMG_3587.jpg (911KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3587.jpg
911KB, 2448x2448px
Whenever I go to Ueno park and the lake is not covered by lotus I feel something is missing. Though I don't think I'll ever catch an almost perfect of like this.
>>
Going to Japan for the first time in October.

How is Robot Restaurant? I plan on not eating the food, just going for the show. I know it's tourist-y as fuck, but I'm a tourist
>>
>>1154355
It's one of the most touristy things I can say, but there's nothing else like it.
>>
>>1154019
No idea what you are talking about. Pic not related at all in case you were even wondering...
>>
>>1153852
This is a really good post. Makes me want to go more than anything desu. Sounds like an adventure.
>>
File: image.jpg (333KB, 1698x886px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
333KB, 1698x886px
>>1153804
Went to that same beach one one my my last days in Japan.
Went to several other beaches that day as well
That was the most enjoyable day I have ever had
It was the most amazing experience
I am happy to have read this similar experience
Here is a shitty picture of a picture I took further back from you
>>
>>1153852
These are the types of activities I would love to do on my trip.

Planning for October 1st-16th. Any advice from anyone? things to bring, things to look out for, how to make friends, how NOT to embarass myself?
>>
>>1154399
Now that's a nice picture.

The bloody jellyfish though, my Chinese cartoons didn't warn me about those
>>
>>1154409

Ive been here 5 days and I've learnt that youre going to embarrass yourself. It's just gonna happen. Most people are very forgiving. Just embrace the fact that you get a license to be a bit retarded. It's great.
>>
File: Image.jpg (1MB, 1996x1336px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
1MB, 1996x1336px
>>1154355
Like the other anon said, it felt too shamelessly touristy for me. I preferred seeing the more traditional and scenic side of Japan myself.
>>
>>1154415
That was the one day I went swimming as well. I guess there were "baby" jellyfish or whatever the tiny precursors are to them in the water. Washed off in the shower after, and got a rash in the area of my bathing suit, as water not from the sea kills them, which cause them to release toxins. Sea bathers eruption.
Also got stung by several larger jellyfish.
Never the less, the ocean was incredible, despite the roughness of some of the beaches
Thank you for the complement. I appreciate it very much. I am very much enjoying the idea that we were in the same area at different times. I like your picture very much. I have saved it. I will try to post some other pictures that are saved on my computer tomorrow
>>
>>1154409
I'll be there from Oct 8-15, but staying mostly in the Tokyo area. Would love to travel the countryside, but my Japanese isn't that good, yet. I am pretty bad at spaghetti spilling around strangers, so I can't help you there.
As for things to bring, what exactly to you mean? Like basic every day travel stuff? I know for sure I'm going to rent a Pocket Wi-Fi
>>
>>1154416
hahah fantastic thanks. I'll be sure to remember that.

>>1154425
Yeah I was thinking pocket wi-fi is a good idea. MY japanese is shit. So i'm going to start doing some studying up now for the next month and see whats up when i get there. I've never travelled internationally, let alone travelled more than 8 hours solo.
>>
File: Tama.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Tama.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1154423
Likewise, and I'll be sure to recognise you from your cute English anon.

Japan really is comfy outside of the main cities, and particularly so because it's suffocating in the concrete jungle. Pic related is my ideal kind of place, about 40min out from Tokyo but spacious enough for trees and even a large park with water.
>>
I stayed in Kichijōji for a month and my favorite memory was probably drinking with my buddy in Inokashira Park, tearing up now remembering it desu
>>1154139
For the room
>>
>>1154213
Only time I was ever carded for anything in Japan was when I went to nightclubs.
>>
>>1153772
*Master of Walk - Tokyo Station: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0jc0NJQ4qefY2hPOVNnNzlhRjQ&usp=sharing
if you're interested
>>
>>1154389
If it's not your picture, it doesn't matter. I was just wondering how anyone got a free ticket for Nozomi which is generally exempt for all free-ride campaigns.
>>
>want to go to Japan one day
>scared of flying over the ocean
>>
>>1154500
Well you can always go there the funny way through cargo ship.
>>
File: 1.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px)
1.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>1154454
Dozo
>>
File: 2.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>1154515
>>
File: 3.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px)
3.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>1154516
>>
File: 4.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
>>1154517
>>
File: 5.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px)
5.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>1154519
>>
File: Kyoto.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px)
Kyoto.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>1154520

>>1154454
Nice anon.
I liked Kyoto a lot, too. I rented a bike one day an biked up and down the Y shave of the river that runs through Kyoto.
>>
>>1153568
A better summarising of Katakana is that it is the Japanese equivalent of English capital letters.

In English you learn both lower and upper case letters, in Japanese you learn both Hiragana and Katakana.
>>
>>1154521
*shape
Still can't type
>>
Has anyone here gone to Daisetsuzan National Park? How did you get there?
>>
What's up with the metro Subway prices. Without fail, the sign will say 200yen for my destination, and when I get to the gate "please adjust fair". Am I doing something wrong? I've started adding an extra 20-40 yen just to avoid the hassle.
>>
I'm in Osaka on the 27th (morning only), in Kyoto 27th - 30th, in Tokyo 30th - 3rd. If someone wants to go running in the early mornings, let me know
>>
>>1154522
Yeah but capital letters look so much like their counterparts you could easily get by. If you imagined that capital letters looked totally different from each of their equivalents it is very similar though, especially in that anyone who knew how to write English in full could write in a way you'd understand, but you would be able to read very little of what is normally written around.
>>
>>1154213
I haven't been to Japan (hoping to go next year), but I've been to Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong and they were all completely lax, and everything I've read about Japan says the same. Buying alcohol in bars, restaurants, or stores should give you no problems. The only place you might run into some trouble is in nice clubs.
>>
Last time I was in Japan I stayed mostly in Tokyo and only went to Kyoto/Osaka otherwise (21 days) but I'm going again in December and trying to plan more stuff, but going to Hakone, Yamanouchi, Kyoto, Ise, Hiroshima, and Miyajima looks like it would cost me $1000 just for train fees... Maybe I will hang around Tokyo again.

Is there any of these that I could cut out to save money without missing too much?
>>
>>1154788
You could take buses instead, from a quick glance I'm guessing you could do all that for ~$200
>>
>>1154781

>capital letters look so much like their counterparts

A: a
B: b
D: d
E: e
F: f
G: g
H: h
I: i
L: l
M: m
Q: q
R: r
T: t

That's like half the alphabet with different characters. Meanwhile many Katakana look similar to themselves or hiragana.
>>
>came back from Japan in beginning of June after 2 weeks there
>put all the maps and restaurant menus and stuff like that onto table
>tonight decide to clean the stuff off it
>spend half an hour just remembering my trip
Fuck I really miss it. It was such a fun experience.

Anyway, favorite memory

>in Kyoto
>bike 2 hours to Arashiyama
>beautiful ride next to rivers and greenery and little towns
>get to Arashiyama, was the most scenic area I had seen in Japan
>eat somen and drink sake next to a marvelous river with people paddling gondola like boats down it
>then climb to Arashiyama mountain, a lush mountain with hundreds of macaque monkeys
>feed the monkeys some bananas and apples (pic related)
>afterwards hike a bit to a nearby temple check it out
>then head back home for the day, stopping at an onsen I found mid ride
>>
>>1154213
No, but going to clubs they do tend to card
>>
I'm studying Japanese and I started off with Hiragana. I'm having a hard time memorizing the characters though. Would it be easier to learn how to speak some Japanese first, and then learn Kana once I have something to relate it to?
>>
>>1154807
B b
C c
D d
F f
I i
J j
K k
L l
M m
O o
P p
S s
T t
U u
V v
W w
X x
Y y
Z z

are all pretty damn similar
>>
Which things are tattooed people barred from doing? I know public baths are largely out of the question, but is there anything else that would restrict a person if they need to be shirtless?
>>
My favorite memory was the oban festival I ended up stumbling into

>Go sit down in restaurant
>Bunch of Japanese people come in and ask if I'm here for the English/Japanese language exchange.
>Nope but I am now
>become friends with some Japanese Air Force members that are there to improve their English
>They invite me to festival
>Go to festival and drink for 5 hours
>One of the guy is being a bitch about talking to a girl until I egg him on
>Bunch of people want to take pictures with the gaijin
>End up banging one of the military girls there because she was a qt with short hair
>She gives me a shirt to remember her for some reason
>Watch the fireworks finale
>End up making it back to hotel
>Wake up to thank you msg from the guy I egged on and he shows me around tokyo

that day was a good day.
>>
anyone in Akihabara tonight? I dragged my normie friends to Hub because they didn't sound thrilled about anything else. It's really hard to browse for quality porn with four normies gawking over my shoulder. I should have come to Japan alone.
>>
I've been to a lot of places in this world. But damn leaving Japan was the first time I actually felt sadness having to leave.

Never expected it to be this great. Met a ton of people even with the langauge barrier it was like a dream
>>
>>1154846
Where exactly did you bang her, after the 5 hours at the festival, but before the fireworks and getting back to your hotel?
>>
>>1154756
Just buy a suica and keep enough on it.
>>
>>1154409
If you are in tokyo or kyoto and you are at least decent looking you will have enough people talking to you if you visit the Hub
>>
>>1154857
Well that's me out.

But seriously, would there be any point for someone who speaks the absolute bare minimum japanese to make pleasantries?

I've been more than happy to fly solo so far, but I'm craving a bit of real human interaction...
>>
Not my favourite but it was a damn good one nonetheless.

Shinjuku Lumine was having some "beer garden" event which was really just serving beer and cider to an American movie up on an open roof. It was nighttime and you could see the tops of other buildings and out into the distance. We were a group of foreigners just chatting the evening away under the warm breeze. All I can feel is the fondness of having been together in a foreign country and having shared the same experiences.
>>
>>1154862
I was at the hub and my friend was getting us drinks and instantly a girl came over to talk. Of course we weren't this lucky every evening but there are enough times when someone wants to talk.

I'm my case of it were guys from osaka they talked to me about my big magnum
>>
>>1154818
In my opinion, no. Try using cards or learn a couple words and with that remember the hiragana. Most important thing is not rush the learning. Learn slowly, don't try to learn the whole hiraganas in one day.
>>
>>1154848
Dude, I was there today. I should have read this before.
>>
>>1154818
I definitely found it easier to remember the characters after learning a little of the language because I could practice reading and writing actual sentences in hiragana and katakana. But I didn't start learning grammar and vocab until after I had memorized all the kana and could write the characters on my own with 90% accuracy.

>>1154823
What are you doing that will cause you to be shirtless in public, aside from onsen? Just don't be shirtless. Nobody wants to see your sweaty man-tits.
>>
>>1154910
>What are you doing that will cause you to be shirtless in public, aside from onsen?
I read that capsule hotels normally give you a robe to change into when you check-in, but I'm not sure if you're required to wear it or not. If it's just pools and public baths to avoid, then that's fine.
>>
>>1155007
I've not heard of this before. The capsule hotel I stayed in did not give me a robe. You just bring your clothes to the shower room and change there.
>>
So I joined a mobile phone friend/dating site and now that I've gotten a few messages I'm considering meeting up with someone for a quick fling.

I don't mean to attention whore, but I'm a grill and finding reviews and experiences of women who have done this sort of thing are far and few in between, so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice to go about this the right way. Not looking to end up dead in some guys tub.

Most resources I find are gaijin men looking for sex in Japan not the other way around...
>>
>>1153635
what does it smell like?
>>
>>1153748
I'll be in Tokyo from Dec 26th - Jan 9th. Ayy lmao
>>
>>1154500
Just stay up for a day before your flight and you'll sleep fine. The flight will go by much quicker.
>>
>>1154819
think of cursive and non-cursive.
>>
>>1155052

Lol slut
>>
>>1153480
how do i join the yakuza guys
>>
>>1155052
What's your background (age, ethnicity, etc) and physique (height, build, etc) like? It'll help with our responses on what you can expect.
>>
Anyone been to Daisetsuzan? What's the best way to get there?
>>
>>1155071
cursive isn't essential though. You can go your entire life not knowing it and be 100% ok
>>
>>1155101
yeah but if you don't know cursive you're basically an idiot, so....
>>
>>1155052
What app is it? I find these threads are usually guys asking where to get girls or soaplands, so I'm curious about how it is for girls seeking guys in Japan.
>>
>>1155102
Says who? I'm a teacher and I'll never teach cursive. It's literally the dumbest and hugest waste of time in regards to something you'd teach in school
>>
>>1155105
>waste of tme
so learning to write notes quickly is a waste of time?

I supposed writing became a waste of time around the same time half of the students in our public schools were immigrants with 80 iq points

but let me remind you, pcs will NEVER replace shorthand in terms of taking notes in any professional capcity, neither will ipads or dictation devices

also, they've more or less proven that writing is a more effective learning tool than typing for reasons having to do with the way the brain organizes memories as they're pared down into concepts.

a reasonable typist could well take a dictation, but in shorthand one has to essentially has the info and draw diagrams

cursive is literally 26 new characters. if you can't do that, I would never hire you. the majority of my employees are trilingual and some of them know a 10k character set. if they can't learn 26 more they're retards.

I hope the state goes bankrupt and you die in a cardboard box you waste of air.
>>
>>1155076

I'm in my early twenties, around 5 feet 4, mixed race (black/white),from America. I've got an average body type, not a fattie but by no means a twig like most of the girls here. I had posted a picture to my profile before people started messaging me, so I hope they aren't surprised.

>>1155072

I know, god forbid I wanted some action like all the gaijin guys that come here for Japanese pussy. Truly I am an embarrassment to my country.
>>
>>1155106
>writing in cursive is faster than typing on a computer
lmao

The VAST majority of people will NEVER need cursive in their lives, THAT'S why it's a waste of time. Why the fuck would I spend a week+ teaching this, and then who knows how long honing it, when I could teach things that ACTUALLY MATTER like grammar or spelling or critical thinking or hundreds of other things.

I remember when I was in elementary school, they spent a shit load of time teaching cursive and then the next year, teachers refused to accept work written in cursive, and from then on no one ever used it again. I literally can not remember a time in my adult life that I saw someone write in cursive.

If you want your kid to learn cursive, teach it to them at home. I'm not going to waste the time of ~30 kids to teach them all cursive when maybe one of them will actually use it some day
>>
>>1155103

The two I was able to find and navigate were called happy mail and digicafe, but it looks like there are loads of sites and apps for these kind of things.
>>
>>1155111
Thanks. I was trying to use Japancupid to try and speak with some guys in advance, but I was mostly getting gaijin responses.
>>
>>1155110
>spend time teaching grammar and critical thinking
if kids don't already use proper grammar, you can't teach it to them

same with critical thinking. you can't make a stupid kid smart.

cursive is essential to good note taking. kids who can't write notes is one of the reasons kids in college are failing spectacularly.

you should be familiar by now, but you seem particularly fucking stupid. kids can only really be taught mechanical skills. cursive is a mechanical skill.

grammar and critical thinking are things that kids learn via exposure, IF they're capble of it. a classroom isn't nearly enough practice in either to reform bad habits.

if you worked in a real job rather than some state paid common core camp to make kids stupid, you'd realize that people write in shorthand all the time in a REAL work environment
>>
>>1155115
>you can't teach grammar or critical thinking
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Also, your logical isn't necessarily wrong. You can't *teach* anyone anything. You can only make them think. I.E. you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

You're still retarded though. Just because things like critical thinking and grammar are more abstract than cursive doesn't mean they can't be taught in a general school setting
>>
>>1155112

Leaving my email in the field if you'd like to try and navigate these dating apps together, it would be nice to talk to another foreign woman here in the dating scene! I have zero experience.
>>
>>1155117
This is the mental power of our modern public school teachers. the execution squads can't come quickly enough

>kids don't need to learn to read
>they don't need to learn to make notes, it's useless
>let's teach them critical thinking via truncated texts deprived of context

go. kill. yourself.

>>1155119
if you gals don't speak japanese you're gonna have a hell of a time, for a variety of reasons. just warning you.
>>
>>1154139
You would have gotten the answer much sooner if you had played with the Guests option you fucking retard
>>
>>1155120
Lol you sound like a bitter little fag

I never said kids don't need to learn to read, you ugly nerd. I never said they don't need to learn to take notes. They should learn to take notes, but cursive != note taking. If they want to be super pros at taking notes, cool, but learn cursive on your own time because it is very far from essential. Critical thinking is NOT taught through text of any sort. Critical thinking is taught by presenting students with problems/situations/theories and having them find their own answers, challenging those answers, and having them defend, refute, research, challenge, and change their ideas and the ideas of others

You seriously sound like the kind of guy that got bullied in high school a lot and got shitty grades and blamed it on the teachers even though the real problem is that you're just a dumb edgy little gayboy
>>
>>1155120
Oh anon... I am glad you are on here and not contributing to the gene pool lol
>>
>>1155120

I actually put that I only speak a little Japanese in my profile, and asked folks to help me learn. But yeah, also a bit nervous about that. I can muddle through to a point, but I would hate to not be able to communicate at all with someone. Only way to learn to go out and try I guess.
>>
>>1155123
you don't teach critical thinking though. kids come out of high school functionally retarded.

you can PRETEND to do whatever you like. kids don't know how to do research, don't know how to present findings in support of a conclusion, etc.

they simply can't do any of it, and they're getting worse at it every few years.

you can defend your pedagogy all you like. the kids you're churning out are fucking retards. is it still 8th grade reading level with a failure at basic arithmetic, or has it fallen lower yet?

sorry I nicked your ego.
>>
>>1155126
>you can't teach critical thinking
Ok so we'll just spend their entire education teaching them cursive, as you'd have it. That'll solve everything, right?

I don't know what kind of shitty ass school it was you went to but this is not how it is in most parts of the country. Kids ARE taught how to do research, present findings, and think critically at every school I've been to and they come out of school able to think like real human beings.

Just because as a high schooler you were clinically retarded doesn't mean everyone else is
>>
>>1155126
Also, I just want to let you know that being able to research topics and present findings in support of a conclusion are actual standards that must be taught in public schools. You can look it up if you want to.
>>
>>1155125
I wasn't following the context of your conversation. are you a teacher over there?

there are other barriers than language you'll face, but the facts on the ground are that japanese are 99% not proficient in basic spoken english. overcoming the other aspects, such as, for example, the general ndependence of western women and the unwillingness of many western women to conform to japanese beauty standards, leads to a situation where for most japanese men a western woman is simply not an option.

it's also the situation that they work long hours, so where couples in other situations might become fluent just by exposure, this won't happen in japan post-university.

most of the western-woman couples I know formed in university
>>
>>1155129
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmO-ziHU_D8

congrats anon. good job
>>
>>1155131

I'm aware of the work culture here, and working myself I'm not looking for anything super serious right now either. I know fluency won't happen overnight, and I'm studying on my own.

It's funny, I actually just received a message in full English, so perhaps I can find someone to exchange languages with for practice, that might be nice.
>>
>>1155108
It's supposed to be a conquest for guys.

You are everything wrong with modern women.
>>
>>1155133
japanese are generally proficient in written english only.

if you're working on fluency, good luck. I'd actually argue that's one of the less fatal of the many obstacles. you wont have any luck if you're not skinny and willing to work hard to stay skinny, to be blunt. for all the talk of japanese men being shy and weak, they won't tolerate overweight women, and won't be shamed into liking it.

a lot of clothing stores won't even carry american mediums for women. a lot of western women get fed up when they don't lose weight and expect men to change for them, and just end up leaving.
>>
>>1155115
>cursive is essential to good note taking
wat? Are my 5 years of non-cursive lecture notes invalidated now?
>>
Well this is fantastic. Let's get all the shit out before we move to the next thread.

How is cursive even an issue? It's not demanding in any capacity and should be considered a given from anyone who goes through an English education. Like holy shit, it's not like you're expected to learn Latin conjugation or a foreign alphabet, it's writing your damn native tongue. Or is this the fabled American public education sector?
>>
I have some questions about Tokyo.

Is carrying luggage around Shinjuku Station a nightmare? I'm already paranoid as fuck about just finding my way out of there, but it was the most convenient location in terms of my plans and ease of access from Narita. Will have a backpack and one smallish luggage suitcase. I won't be getting on any lines with it other than the NEX.

Recommendations for bars? Not clubs, and not Roppongi. I plan to do Golden Gai but I'm nervous about walking into the wrong one because it only accepts loyal customers, etc. I have a small list - Death Match in Hell, Bar Plastic Model, Lonely Bar, and One Coin Bar Champion - but if those are shit choices feel free to offer some alternatives. The limited seating could mean I don't get to try all the places on my list, so it'd be good to expand it.

I'm also looking for cool bars anywhere from Shinjuku on down the Chuo line. I have a couple of places in Nakano I'd like to go but if anyone knows of any places in areas like Koenji, Kichijoji, etc. it would be appreciated. I haven't ruled out Shimokitazawa but it's not really near any other places I plan to visit.

Where is the best place to get good views of Rainbow Bridge? Odaiba?

Thanks very much for any information.
>>
>>1155150
Is not a nightmare, will be troublesome yes, but nothing else. Try to find elevators if your bags are big, it will make your life easy (I don't know if you tried using an electric stair while carrying luggage but that is a nightmare).
I warn you, it's extremely easy to get lost in Shinjuku station, but if you do just ask the men working there, they will help you.

Also yes, Odaiba has a great view of the Rainbow Bridge, plus you can also see the Gundam (if you're interested).

Sorry but regarding bars I can't help you.
>>
>>1155108
You might struggle meeting guys desu. Japanese males are more timid in comparison to their Western counterparts when approaching women in general. Also, they find Caucasian women with blonde hair to be exotic and hence quite attractive.
>>
>>1155150
Why the interest in bars? Just curious because I visited a couple but I didn't really think it was anything special.
>>
>>1155156

Actually on my way to Tokyo to meet up with someone now. All the posts here have been helpful though, thank you for the advice and warnings /trv/
>>
>>1155108
>>1155119
How you hook up in Japan is gonna be the same as how you hook up back home. You can go to the tried & true usual haunts ( e.g. clubs and bars); "language exchange" is often times a thinly veiled dating/hookup opportunity. In Tokyo, there were a couple times where a guy would approach me on the street and chat me up, which I found a little random. I will say that if you don't speak the language then that will scare away the majority of your potential suitors, but knowing a little Japanese is usually enough to get you an invite to have "tea" together. For safety, going to your hotel is safer than you going to his place.

>>1155150
Carrying luggage through Shinjuku station is not bad at all since there are a lot of elevators and escalators. Most of your difficulty will just be in navigating the station itself; it can be a little confusing because there's so much. Follow the signs; you might backtrack at times and even exit the station and re-enter from a different entrance. If you need help then just ask someone for directions.
>>
Does anyone have experiece with portable WiFi devices in Japan? I have never heard of them and I booked and AirBnB for a month that uses one of them. The guy also said that if the capacity is not enough, he has another one, but if that's also not enough, I'll have to get one myself or go to an Internet cafe.

I use the Internet every day for writing emails, reading newspapers, watching Youtube videos (maybe an hour or two a day) and using Skype for an hour maybe twice a week. Do you think I'll be fine?
>>
Just in regards to dating, some of those "dating" apps are actually just full of (female I presume) escorts. They'll let you know pretty early on so just switch to another if you're looking to meet actual people. Hah
>>
>>1155191
I've seen many foreigners use them there, although I personally used a data-only sim and tethered it/used wifi. It seems fine but just ask him to confirm its capacity. You just have to charge it and carry it around with you, and also the speed might leave something to be desired.
>>
>>1155196

Ok thanks. I'll actually just use it at home and leave it there. Do you think it'll be fine for the activities I mentioned above? I still have the chance to cancel the whole stay, but I really don't want to because I'm glad I've found this place for a whole month.
>>
>>1155198
Yeah it should be the least of your worries. If it's not enough you can always get another pocket wifi.
>>
>>1155200

How much are they?

What's also kind of weird is that the "landlord" doesn't plan to meet me when I move in, but he sent me a pretty complicated description of how to unlock the key from some kind of box. With the AirBnB I'm currently staying in, it was much easier. The landlord even picked me up at the subway station.
>>
Hey guys. I'm taking a gap year in Japan after high school (went to an international school here).

Unfortunately, most of my friends are going away for college. What's a good way to meet young expats or tourists here to hang out with?
>>
>>1155205
I'm in Tokyo btw (Minato)
>>
What's a good way to keep fit while gorging myself throughout the day? Is it fine, as a foreigner, to just go out for a morning jog? Not as far as safety, I know that'd be safe. Just don't want to get a bunch of weird looks.
>>
>>1155205
A bar.
>>
>>1155218
Running is a thing in Japan, there are destination popular spots that people do it. Just as an example along rivers on public walkways and areas like around the imperial castle. You can do XC or run on the street almost anywhere, however in the city it's tough there always a tone of people and constant start and go (for me at least) was frustrating. Running out in the country side or along rivers in the city I thought was best. Kyoto for that reason should not be missed
>>
>>1155218
fight drunk salaryman outside of Izakayas
>>
>>1155185

I literally just got home from the guy I met on the app and he was the nicest person ever holy shit, based on all I read here I thought I was going to run into a straight up creep. He covered all of my train fair and paid for the food we got as well. He knew just enough English, and I knew just enough Japanese to carry on OK.

I'm actually a little disappointed ha but funnily enough, he told me to watch out for creeps on the apps I used.
>>
>>1155120
>if you gals don't speak japanese you're gonna have a hell of a time, for a variety of reasons. just warning you.
Well, thank goodness I speak Japanese.
But I can see how you can assume most don't. I'm always surprised at the amount of people who post on the Japan general threads who ask if they need to know Japanese before travelling there.
>>
>>1155201
at first i thought you were staying at the same place as me because i were also given directions to a strange lockbox.. they offered to picked me up though i arrived at like 2 am so they didn't
>>
>>1155191
i had one myself, it was 7GB but slow and unrelaible as holy fuck. opening an image could take 3 minutes and stop halfway. still better than nothing though, and extremely useful when trying to find some place
>>
>>1154313
>>1154336
yeah, they don't like airbnb, i just told them it was a friend's place
>>
I'm going to be in Japan for 12 days.
I'm splitting my money into 3 sections.

>food - I was thinking about bringing 40,000 yen. I usually eat twice a day and then just eat little snacks.

>travel - I was going to bring about 30,000 yen. I am only traveling to Fuji and the rest will just be spent on traveling around Tokyo.

>Shopping - I was going to bring around 20,000 yen. Everything I buy will have to fit in my luggage so I can't buy too many things. I was mainly just going to buy pants and maybe 1 or 2 shirts.

Is this enough or would you guys recommend more? One of my friends in Japan recommends more but I don't know how much. Maybe 20,000 yen more for each?
>>
Which places are best to visit during the last week of December? Will be my fourth trip, but first during the winter. I enjoy anything but clubbing and shopping
>>
Flatchested 6/10 girl complains a 7 inch dick is too small.

I'm not the biggest guy in the world but if anyone had a complaint its me.

Girls are delusional morons in every country it seems
>>
>>1155278
This is enough, friend. No sushi or yakiniku though, but it's not a big deal, cheaper stuff is even tastier
>>
>>1155290
Thanks for the reply. Would an extra 20,000 for food be enough in case I want to have sushi every other day?
>>
>>1155163
Just a way to pass the time when I'm done with everything else for the day. I'd like to meet some people as well, even if we have to carry on conversations like drunken three year olds. But if that doesn't happen, it's okay.

>>1155154
>>1155185
Thanks very much, anons.
>>
>>1155218

Yes, jogging is fine.
Keep your shirt on though. Topless running for me or sports bras only for women are considered no-gos in Japan.
>>
>>1155288

You probably picked up a Gaijin-chasing slag. She's seen more 10 inch+ dicks than you've seen pussy, mate. Of course she's gonna be disappointed.
>>
>>1155294
Yes, but stick with conveyor belt ones or go to a seaside place like Atami - excellent sushi sets there for 1500 yen
>>
>>1155068
>Just stay up for a day before your flight and you'll sleep fine
Tried that the last time.

Got up in thursday evening, took the train to Amsterdam, jumped on the plain to Shanghai friday noon, arrived saturday morning in Shanghai, waited for my flight to tokyo and got there sunday morning, took another 6 hours from Narita to my hotel and finally arrived sunday evening.

Did not sleep for a fucking second. It was hell and I was so tired I didn't even feel anything anymore.

I'm planning on going to Japan again this december. Any tips on how to get sleep on plane? Being tired as fuck doesn't help.
>>
>>1155328
Maybe try music?
>>
If anyone who's in Tokyo is interested at the Ota memorial museum there's a really cool exhibition about horror ukiyo-e.
>>
>>1155278
Food is a little low, I would add more desu. Travel is fine, especially since you'll primarily be doing local trips in and around Tokyo. For shopping I would raise it up to 50,000 yen. If you're worried about luggage space, a tip would be to purchase an additional luggage or large duffel bag at Don Quixote (a chain discount department store) to stuff all your souvenirs in when you fly back home.
>>
>>1155294
You can get cheap conveyor belt and take-out sushi for about 500-2000 yen. Medium price sushi is about 3000-5000 yen. High end sushi is +10,000 yen. For example, Sukiyabashi Jiro is about 30,000 yen.
>>
>>1155287
Guys pls
>>
>>1155350
Meet up with me senpai

And let's hit up Akihabara late at night and get drunk
>>
>>1155328
Agreed, I've never been able to sleep on a plane even when depriving myself of sleep before hand. So the plan for my Japan trip next year is to fly business class for the flight into and out of Haneda. Hopefully overnight flight + lie-flat seat does the trick. Along with large amounts of sake.
>>
>>1155328
just don't sleep? who cares? try not to take a retardedly long flight and then just take a nap/go to bed in the evening. You won't lose more than an afternoon
>>
>>1155278
I would add more for food. Also eat more in general mate so you can become big and strong
>>
Anyone else real sad now that they're back from Japan? I miss it a bunch even though it's already been almost 3 months since I came back
>>
File: japan.jpg (920KB, 2144x1424px)
japan.jpg
920KB, 2144x1424px
>>1155377
I came back 2 days ago and i'm fucking sad, the food was so good and i almost picked up a cutie.
>>
>>1155377
I know that feeling at it'll actually get worse with time until you go again. And afterwards it'll hit you even harder.
I've been in the same boat, visiting 3 times and now I'm about to move there for an extended period (permanently if it all goes well).
>>
Has anyone been to Asahikawa? I'm trying to figure out how to take the bus to Daisetsuzan
>>
>>1155288

This desu >>1155315. I picked up a real cutie inside and out and didn't have any issues.
>>
a lot of people here are going in december as well...

right now im reading and watching videos about the train, sushi, etc
>>
whats the best way to get from narita airport to shinjuku station?
>>
>>1155425
I haven't even gone to Japan at all. I just come here to see anecdotes and pictures people took from their trip since I can't be asked to go to Japan any time soon. Maybe in a couple of years.
>>
>>1155430
im going for my first time this december

good luck with your future plans of going to japan
>>
File: 12313.jpg (1MB, 2048x1367px) Image search: [Google]
12313.jpg
1MB, 2048x1367px
>>1155432
Thanks man.

Have fun, eat lots, and stay safe.
>>
>>1155428
I suggest taking the express line, not the local train http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/. It's more expensive but it's a lot faster and more comfortable.
>>
>>1153480
>What's your favorite memory of Japan?

Sumo tournament was a freakin' blast. Children's week festival in Hamamatsu was incredible, get hooked up with one of the neighborhoods hosting street parties and prepare to drink sake from a salad bowl...
>>
is the fees for withdrawing money from 7/11 shitty? whats the best way to get jpy and not get fucked with shitty fees
>>
>>1155439
This.
>>
>>1155461
There are a lot of exchange banks around almost everywhere. I found the fees acceptable (they took 100$ as 98$ or something like that)
>>
>>1155456
The fuck is childrens week?

Golden week.
>>
>>1155466
>>1155461
With my card they only took out 1% per transaction which wasn't bad at all
>>
>>1155461
I got charged 220 yen per transaction. You'd best check for your card
>>
>>1155359
No problem. Got a contact e-mail?
>>
I need some help regarding social customs in Japan. I explain. I have a friend I met on tinder (in my opinion she just want friendship). We went two times to drink. There I met some of her friends. Yesterday we went clubbing with one of the friends I already met and one I haven't.
The question is, should I add both of the girls on line despite the fact I didn't ask for their contact info? (I have their ID because we're on a group conversation).

I must add that I really liked the girl I haven't met before. Not for fucking, I honestly liked her. What do I do friends? Sorry for the shitty english.
>>
>>1155534
>she just want friendship
>We went two times to drink

Are you sure she just wants friendship?

As for the friend, well if you talked to her at the club go for it and add her. Just say hi, you had fun last night, if you'd like lets grab a coffee sometime and get to know each other better. If it feels like she's really not into it you can just cut it off there, and as a gaijin you really do get a free pass on stuff like this. Just don't come off as a creep.
>>
>>1155541
Thanks for the answer.

And yes, she does want friendship. I mean, last night she invited another tinder guy. I'm not an expert on relationships but I take that as only friendship.

Regarding the other girl, we talked a lot during the night and she seemed actually interested, and not asking just for politeness. She stayed with me alone a couple times (because we wouldn't be allowed to enter the dance floor with drinks) and then was when the talking happens.

I'm usually a gentleman (perhaps that's why I'm still single), so I don't think she sees me as a creep lol.

Thanks again for the response.
>>
Any one have experience buying a laptop while over in japan. Mine is starting to give me framerate issues so Im not sure if I should preemptively get a new one before going over there. Ill be studying there for a year and I don't want it dying on me halfway through. A quick google search sais its best to purchase here in america but Id like to here what others might have to say.
>>
>>1155557
I bought mine here, and used by the way. So far it's running wonderfully. But, perhaps it's better for you to buy one in america, for me it was cheaper here than in my country.
>>
>>1155555
That definitely sounds like a good sign, do your best!

>>1155557
You're probably better off buying something with international warranty in America so you know exactly what you're covered for. Laptops are most likely cheaper in America anyway.
>>
>>1155564
Thanks, I'll update whether it goes wrong or right. Thanks again.
>>
File: 1467616576315.png (311KB, 928x960px) Image search: [Google]
1467616576315.png
311KB, 928x960px
>>1155555
- "Oh, you mean Anon? Haha, he's such a nice guy...He really deserves a good girl :)"
>>
File: 1421444425097.png (203KB, 421x427px)
1421444425097.png
203KB, 421x427px
>>1155555
>I mean, last night she invited another tinder guy
>I'm usually a gentleman (perhaps that's why I'm still single), so I don't think she sees me as a creep lol.

holy shit m8, not even those quints can help you with that cuckery
>>
>>1155569
>>1155572
What should I do then? Clearly I'm not doing thing right, so a different approach perhaps will do. What would you do anon?
>>
I'd like to go to an exhibition about the painter Foujita in Kobe, but is there even going to be labelling in English or is it all Japanese?
>>
>>1153775
You'd be so cute if you'd leave the sweatpants and dress properly.
>>
>>1155287
Comiket
>>
Are there coin lockers at the Akihabara station?
>>
>>1155639
Ye senpai
>>
>>1153555
if these 2 alphabets are too much for you, dont even bother learning japanese
>>
Anyone has visited kyushu? Is it worth it? I saw pictures of Yūtoku Inari Shrine and now I'm considering to add it to the next trip
>>
>>1155639
They are around all akihabara. If you get a map they are also marked on it
>>
I might go to Japan but i was wondering if there's any point in going to Tokyo by myself if i don't speak any Japanese?
I've been to the USA all by myself, but i speak English somewhat fluently so it was fine. There were some instances where some black fellows spoke in Ebonics and i didn't understand a single word, but i managed somehow..

In Japan, i'm afraid i'll go in a taxi, but the taxi driver wont speak English. Or the hotel staff, or shop owners, or pretty much anyone.
>>
>>1155754
I went to Tokyo alone and while most people that work in retail in touristy areas speaks some English, communicating with gestures and body language goes a long way.
>>
>>1155754
I speak zero japanese and did fine, don't worry.
>>
Where is the best place to get a hotel in Tokyo, or does it not matter as long as it's close to a subway station?

Is there any point in staying at a ryokan if you're planning on going out sightseeing alot and not actually staying at the place to relax?

And lastly what's best for 3 weeks; backpack or large suitcase? Only travelling between 3 places.
>>
>>1155769
I would agree that is quite convenient to be near metro stations. I would book a ryokan for more traditional cities like kyoto, not Tokyo or osaka
>>
>>1154742
I took a bus there from Asahikawa
>>
>>1155754
To make you feel "safer" have the addresses of your hotels in japanese. All taxi have gps and will easily drive you to your hotel as long as they can understand the address
>>
>>1155782

I was thinking of staying at a ryokan in Hakone, but I'll only be there 2 days and I want to look around the place as well.
>>
>>1155769
>Where is the best place to get a hotel in Tokyo, or does it not matter as long as it's close to a subway station?
Subway is fine, but if you can afford it, stay next to a station anywhere on the Yamanote line you can get around the whole city in no time.

>Is there any point in staying at a ryokan if you're planning on going out sightseeing alot and not actually staying at the place to relax?
Just my opinion but no. I'd get a cheap, clean hotel near a main station. I only slept and showered when I visited (Tokyo only). Chilled out in my room with some beers only one night when I felt a little burned out.

>And lastly what's best for 3 weeks; backpack or large suitcase? Only travelling between 3 places.
If you can fit everything you'll need in a backpack, do that. Extra luggage sucks. I did one week on a smallish backpack with room to spare. Add a small suitcase if you need to take more.

When are you thinking of going?
>>
>>1155796
How do I go about to find a hotel with a good location? Do I just have to check every hotels description?

I'm not planning on staying at a ryokan in Tokyo, just regular hotel there.

For the luggage I feel like the suitcase is easier to keep/locate things in, but more difficult to move around and the other way around with a backpack.

Going early october, starting to feel abit panicked about planning even with 4 weeks left. So many things I still need to buy
>>
>>1155802
It's not a perfect option, but I used booking.com for central Tokyo, used the map to see what hotels were near main stations, then looked elsewhere for comparative prices.
Shinagawa has a lot of hotels and has very easy transport since it's on Yamanote, plus airport transfers, but it can be expensive to stay there alone.

Google maps is surprisingly OK for this. Try messing about with station names:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/tokyo+yamanote+hotels/

You're right about suitcase being easier for locating items in luggage. I found it would be quite a pain to get around with a large suitcase, though doable. I only tend to travel for around a week at a time, so I take a backpack as hand luggage on the plane for convenience. Plus it makes me strict on how much I take.

You still have time, don't sweat it friend. I'm going back in February. Feel free to ask any other questions and I'll help if I can.
>>
>>1155802
I used hostels.com and checked the reviews, just look for good location. For the luggage if you don't have to move a lot you don't need a backpack, but maybe if it'll be already snowing, with a backpack you'll be more comfortable.
>>
>>1155805
Thanks man, I didn't realize google could be that useful for finding hotels as well.

I think I'll probably end up with a suitcase in the end as it will be my first time travelling to Japan and I want something with good protection for the million souvenirs I'll buy.

I'll be there for 2 1/2 weeks, got any tips for how much stuff I need to pack? Lonely Planet says you don't need much since you can buy things you need, but I'm not so sure since I'm rather tall and thin I have enough difficulty finding clothes here I live.

>>1155814
I'm only staying in Tokyo and westwards so it's only early autumn in october with 20 degrees C according to japan-guide
>>
>>1155817
>in october with 20 degrees C
I went last October and it was around 30 for the two weeks I was there.
>>
>>1155817
No try to pack everything you need then you can buy something if you forget or want as a souvenir (t-shirts, hats etc...). The quantity depends on how many changes of clothes you want and look if your hostel gives you towels, shampoo, toohtbrush so you don't have to bring them.
>>
>>1154083
I'm in Hokkaido now. It's beautiful. Go to Otaru. It's a small little seaside town with good sweets. Sapporo is huge and has ramen alley and a bustling red light district. Hakodate has unbelievable seafood.
>>
>>1154313
Airbnb is little known and actually illegal in Japan. Just say you are staying with a friend
>>
Guys, a meet up in December then, since so many are going. I can volunteer to organize it. Say, comiket dates or a bit earlier. Yes?
>>
>>1155817
No problem man. I'd take a pair of socks and boxers a day, t shirt for near every day, a few pairs of jeans/pants/trousers. Simple toiletries, you can pick up the rest cheap and easy. You can compact this stuff down a lot too. I took the minimum per day so still had room in my bag for gifts.
>>
File: reagan.gif (24KB, 907x632px)
reagan.gif
24KB, 907x632px
For people who have been before:

What's an overrated sight that you wish you had skipped?

What's an underrated sight that you liked?
>>
>>1155838
Went to Tokyo a few months ago.
>What's an overrated sight that you wish you had skipped?
The "world famous shopping street" in Harajuku. Pretty dull, didn't see anything interesting. Where I hit in Golden Gai was pretty much all Americans too, disappointing.
>What's an underrated sight that you liked?
Eating food and drinking food in Yurakucho. This legit felt like one of those "le hidden gems". Cool as shit.
>>
File: IMAG0095.jpg (967KB, 3264x1836px)
IMAG0095.jpg
967KB, 3264x1836px
Just got a job offer at a entry tier Eikawa. Japan dream is becoming real friends!
>>
Park Hyatt. Y/N? Money is no object so I won't be screwing my budget by staying in more expensive accommodation.
>>
>>1155315
You've been watching too much porn. Less than 0.01% of males have a dick bigger than 9 inches.
>>
>>1153812

>super attractive people don't holiday in nerdy countries like Japan when they could go to some beach/party location instead.

Attractive people aren't all vapid and uninterested in the world. The irony here is that this statement is extremely ignorant and shallow.
>>
favorite memory: going to a ryokan in kochi and using the rotenburo at night
when you're hundreds of miles from any real major city, you can see every damn star in the sky
i felt so alive
>>
>>1155893
I think it's pretty well accepted that weebs are generally physically and mentally unattractive.
>>
File: 103.jpg (526KB, 1415x1920px)
103.jpg
526KB, 1415x1920px
>>
>>1153900
Mamiya rz67 medium format
Ricoh gr digital
Ricoh gr1v 35mm
Yashica samurai half frame
>>
>>1155754
I definitely had way more fun knowing conversational Japanese than I would've with only english. It depends on your goals I guess. I really enjoyed meeting people, but if you're there for scenery/attractions then you'll be totally fine with just English (but try to at least learn a few key phrases/words)
>>
Japan is hell for vegetarians. I just came back from a huge shopping street in Osaka and looked for more than 90 minutes for anything vegetarian. I even asked in about 8 restaurants with my basic Japanese and even had a fucking text printed from the Internet that included every detail of being an ovo-lacto vegetarian. But no. Now I'm munching mochi at home.
>>
>>1155992
All I read was "I like dicks."
>>
>>1155992
>ovo-lacto vegetarian

lèl
>>
>>1155992
>ovo-lacto vegetarian
Kek
Get fucked
>>
Did anyone else register with their country's embassy before visiting, to let them know you were going? I guess it's in case a monster typhoon or earthquake hits and they have to know if you're missing. I'm in the US, only going for a week.
>>
>>1156016
No, I didn't. Didn't even knew you could register that.
>>
>>1155992
Most countries in the world don't give a shit about your special snowflake diet.
>>
>>1155867
I'm also looking at staying there while in Tokyo. View from rooms and pool looks amazing, and it'd be almost free for me. Never stayed at a Hyatt before, so I'd like to try it or a high end hotel at least once.
>>
>>1156016
I've never done that for any trip I've been on. But it sounds sensible.
>>
>>1156032
Why free?
>>
New bread >>1156067
>>
>>1155834
I won't be arriving in Japan until the 27th of December.
I could have went the 16th but I didn't want to skip Christmas with my parents.
>>
>>1155992
https://www.happycow.net/searchmap?lat=&lng=&location=Osaka%2C+Japan

Never been to Osaka, but it looks like you have more than a few options.
>>
>>1153480
>>1155921
I'm heading there in November and I was wondering how to get around. I'm looking into the Japan Rail Pass but I'm unsure how it works. Does that pass count to get me around Tokyo, then get to Osaka and Hiroshima?

Do you need to get any shots?

I'm thinking about staying in Shinjuku because it's close to the Yamanote Line the is the central hub to get you everywhere.

How's the language barrier?
>>
Any documentaries on the sex scene in Japan? More than the anthony bourdain shit on maid cafes or whatever.
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.