[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I actually did it. I am an esl teacher in Korea! Let the next

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

File: 20160821_121516.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20160821_121516.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
I actually did it.

I am an esl teacher in Korea!

Let the next 5+ years of slow traveling commence!
>>
File: 20160812_182135.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160812_182135.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
Pic of my classroom. I am here right now waiting for my first class of the say to start in 20 mins
>>
>>1153371
location looks pretty comfy. are you teaching elementary students?
>>
File: 1391929897710.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1391929897710.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>1153371
>5+ years

Hmm, talk to us in a year or two and tell us how you feel about the profession. A lot of people end up burning out. Not to say you will but don't think that you failed if after some time you feel you've had too much.
>>
is this rasputin from fit
>>
Sorry to hear that you were unable to have any sort of success in your home country and were so rejected socially that being a novelty is actually an improvement on your social situation.
>>
>>1153503
holy god I can taste your misery
>>
Which city, OP? Hoping to go to Busan in the next couple of months.
>>
>>1153503
crine u mad as shit
>>
File: pepe_usa.jpg (16KB, 212x238px) Image search: [Google]
pepe_usa.jpg
16KB, 212x238px
>>1153371
good stuff op! I would like to visit but I don't know if the EXPAT thing is for me. I love learning about other places and visiting, but i love america so much and don't want to leave it :(
>>
Congratulations OP. Work hard.
>>
>>1153503
Projecting much? How'd you get so upset ?

Sure he's not gonna do this for 5 years like he thinks but traveling and teaching abroad is a great experience for a variety of reasons.

OP I'm almost finished with my 2nd year. Trust me bruh you're not gonna wanna do 5. The lifestyle gets old quick. But congrats on pulling the trigger you're gonna have a great time.

Which city are you in? I'm Tongyeong myself.
>>
Dont blow all your money on traveling. Save it up

There might be some economic stuff happening in the near future.
>>
>>1153620
I'm not either of them but it doesn't get old for everybody, or at least, not necessarily more so than any other lifestyle. plenty of people want to off themselves after 5 years at an office job, ut they don't because they have no other options. some people stay on as an "easy out" but hey, I, personally, will take any "out" because being out sure beats being in, in my perspective

I'm not in korea though. korea seems to provoke really strong reactions in people.

I literally had one butthurt white dude tell me that koreans lack "critical thinking" and when I asked him to explain, he told me people couldn't give him driving directions and other equally absurd examples. I'm 90% certain his korean is terrible, or the dude is a complete faggot. no idea why white dudes hate korea so much. maybe it's hard to get laid there?
>>
>>1153371
I've done that m8

did it.. 3 years I think. Had a lot of good times and did a lot of hard work but got cash.

I don't know if it's still an issue but I used to do a lot of black market exchanges from won to dollars with the old women in Namdaemun market. Flew back to the states with 20k of fresh bills on my person (and didn't declare).
>>
>>1153731

so where you at?
I taught in china for 2 years and I fucking hate china but I do miss the life style so I am planning to go teach in Asia again. (but not in china fuck china)

thinking of taiwan so I dont have to learn a whole new language but maybe japan too.
>>
File: 084.png (298KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
084.png
298KB, 600x512px
>>1153731
>>
>>1153770
I'm in singapore. Shit's pretty good here. I did a year n china and it was great, my mandarin isn't so great and I imagine it only gets better the more fluent you become. I have some friends who are fluent from birth in mandarin, and after the moved to china to teach english they basically never came back, none of them. but my impression is that it's incredibly location dependent, and without extensive knowledge about china you'd never have a clue if you were getting lured into a bad place.

I hear taiwan is also good, but that the pay is awful in relative terms
>>
Let me stay at your place so I can go see Kpop groups
>>
>>1153731
I kind of understand your post but your post is confusing sir.

Comparing an office job for 5 years to overseas ESL isn't really comparable at all. A lot of these people staying here 3+ years(from my experience) start to hate the country and aren't anything like the folks who are at some steady office job in their home country.

They more than likely:(from my experience)
-Avoid Korean friends
-Avoid Korean food
-Avoid learning the language
-Stay exclusively amung foreigners.
-Have an extremely "off" personality that makes others uncomfortable.

Most people only stay here 1 or 2 years tops. Like i said before, its a great experience and i highly recommend it but don't stay too long it'll fuck with your mind. Or maybe those with fucked minds stay longer?

I understand why people stay:
-Easy money
-Easy but potentially stressful job
-Scared of changing paths and facing the next career (I'm feel this even just 1 year abroad)

If you compare SE Asia to Korea yeah its harder to get easy pussy (might be different in Seoul)but most white guys I know have a girlfriend if they aren't a sperg or gay. A few have western gfs.

Don't mind the couch psychology. I'm just giving my opinion from personal experiences yo.
>>
>>1154090
>-Avoid Korean food
I honestly don't get this one at all. Maybe the social customs of the country are unfamiliar and you don't get along with people, maybe you don't really care about Korean as a language, but why the fuck would you ever go to a country if you don't like their food? I went to Taiwan with a dude for about a month and he stuck to just a couple of foods and he was miserable about it, whereas I had great food even in hole in the wall insect infested restaurants for under $2 a plate, he didn't even have a sensitive stomach or anything (and food in Taiwan is remarkably safe for how sketchy some of it looks). The first thing you should do if you're staying somewhere for an extended time is make sure you like the food.
>>
>>1153711
Economic stuff...like wat?
>>
>>1153379
>>1153503
>>1153711
>>1153731
>>1154090

I'm sure OP is feeling great about his decision now, thanks guys
>>
>>1154456
You have poor reading comprehension on some of those posts sir.

Aside from>>1153503 this overtly negative gentleman
, all the other posts have valid points and reasonable expectations.
>>
>>1154090
none of those things have to do with the job though

if a person can't speak the language, dislikes foreign food, is inflexible, etc. that has NOTHING to do with the job

all I'm saying is that most people, everywhere, hate their job.

not being particularly thrilled about the ESL job is no reason to not do it. being a shy person, who is inflexible, and hates foreign cultures, THAT is areason not to do the ESL job. I guarantee you those people who hated korea are all of the above. the issue for them 9/10 times was not the job.
>>
>>1154477
I agree with your points but...

Have you had a hagwon boss? They can make or break your ability to enjoy Korea.
>>
>>1154090
Having lived in Seoul for a year, most white guys I saw had pretty ugly gfs. If looking for a decent gf is the main goal, China is the place to go.
>>
>>1154492
I've never worked in korea. I've had shitty bosses before and while it severely impacted my life at the time, it didn't make me hate america, or mcdonald's, or the english language.

people who hate korea because of a shitty boss sound emotionally underdeveloped

I'm not saying they're supposed to enjoy the lifestyle, but the people I've encountered literally have come to blame their inability to get directions or something similar on a korean "innate lack of creativity" or some other nonsense.

these sorts of people sound so stupid that if they were my employee I'd probably treat them poorly on purpose
>>
>>1153371
Why Korea? China seems like the obvious choice.
>>
>>1153371
I know someone who did this after undergrad. I went to grad school and got a master's and she went to Korea and fooled around with toddlers for two years. Now she's basically flat broke, living at home, begging for jobs here and I'm going to Korea on my company paid vacation next year.

From what I can tell it's great if you have parents willing to drag your ass back in when you ultimately give up on it because it's not a real job.
>>
>>1154612
Fair enough. I think when people are abroad they're naturally more critical of the culture they're in because it's not familiar. I've had an excellent time in Korea and happily extended my contract. Though I've had my fill and will move on in the spring.

>>1154595
I agree that most aren't jaw dropping gorgeous but the guys aren't models either man. My buddy teaches in China and he says the pollution and filth is worse than Korea. I don't think Koreans or Chinese are better or worse than each other dude. Ps Chinese fly out to Korea for plastic surgery because of the good reputation (I'm 100% serious).

I do want to teach in China at some point but preferably an international school.
>>
>>1155457
My parents haven't supported me at all going to and from Korea. I also saved 22grand in 2years from teaching. With that money I can go to graduate school debt free. Wow your anecdotal evidence is just as useful as mine.

Korea draws a certain kind of people but it can boost your life in a variety of ways if you set yourself up for it. Stop being so negative.
>>
>>1153371
Is it possible to do this without a degree? Total newfag here, just lost my job but have about 5 grand saved, thinking of going to asia for esl.
>>
>>1155477
Asia yes korea no.
>>
>>1155478
So China is off limits and probably Japan then with Korea what is the next best?
>>
>>1155481
SE Asia and sketchy parts of China. Well desu it'll all be sketchy from what I've heard. A degree is a requirement for a reason man but good look on your hunt.
>>
>>1155477
>>Is it possible to do this without a degree?
No, it was possible 15 years ago, not anymore.
>>
>>1155490
What about countries like Vietnam or Thailand? I have no idea about the hierarchy of asian countries but I really have no preference, it's just an idea I'm tossing around right now. I could definitely get a TEFL
>>
>>1155493
No. If you're not British or American double no.
>>
>>1155457
I know a lot of people who did this and made great money, and others who paid for their college in 1-2 years of teaching
>>
File: socially.jpg (80KB, 450x357px) Image search: [Google]
socially.jpg
80KB, 450x357px
>>1153503
>Sorry to hear that you were unable to have any sort of success in your home country and were so rejected socially that being a novelty is actually an improvement on your social situation.
>>
>>1153731
The older I get the more I realize that there is no best path in life and that every decision has it's pros and cons. I think Anon is butthurt because he's 16 or just immature or something.
>>
>>1155477
You're going to be better off putting that money towards a degree. 5 grand will get you all the way through 2 years at community college.
>>
>>1155471
Kekkles. Another special snowflake that thinks living in a foreign country makes you important.
>>
>>1155837
Did you read who I was quoting? Why are you filled with angst? What makes you behave in such a way? What's wrong with success stories ? Why is the world so black and white?
>>
>>1155837
>le brainwashed american
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.