[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travel to Romania

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Romania_Regions_map.png (2MB, 2495x1831px) Image search: [Google]
Romania_Regions_map.png
2MB, 2495x1831px
Can we have a Romania thread?

I am interested in traveling there next summer and I would like suggestions on a possible itinerary.
I'm mostly interested in historical places and nature/the outdoors (the latter of which I don't know much about).

Here is a list of the places I have in mind so far (in alphabetical order):
>Alba Iulia
>Bucharest
>Brașov
>Hunedoara/Corvin Castle
>Peles Castle
>Sighișoara

Please share your travel experiences, thoughts, questions, etc. if you have been to Romania or are also planning to visit in the future.
>>
>>1153261
wew, I forgot to add Sibiu to the list
>Sibiu
>>
>>1153261
>Sibiu

My dad hiked all the way from Caransebes to Sibiu through the Carpathian mountains this summer. He said the old city center looks okay but it's very small, and apart from that most of the city is a poor run-down gray shithole that you can find pretty much anywhere else in Romania.
>>
>>1153283
Interesting, I have read mostly good stuff about Sibiu. When was he there?
>>
>>1153437
Yeah I was surprised too. Sibiu is pretty much known to be a top tier destination of Romania.

It took my dad 14 days to hike from Caransebes to Sibiu. Got back about two weeks ago. According to him all the towns and villages he went through looked shabby, gray and run-down, with litter also being a significant problem.
The last time he was in Romania was over 30 years ago, on a hitchhiking trip through the Eastern Bloc. He was a citizen of the German Democratic Republic and while Romania was dirt-poor back then even by communist standards he said the difference between present-day Romania and Germany is probably bigger now than it ever was during Soviet times.

FWIW he did mention that the people themselves are extraordinarily nice, helpful and hospitable.
>>
>>1153453
>The last time he was in Romania was over 30 years ago
Well, I guess that probably explains it.
>>
I wanna visit rural Romania during the next few months. Will probably spend 2 weeks there. Anyone got any suggestions?
>>
>>1153879
Avoid gypsies.
>>
Not OP but Ryanair operates flights from my city directly to Timisoara for 20€ round trip. Is it worth taking a day trip there?
>>
>>1153955
>Not OP but
Don't worry, this thread was meant to be for everyone interested in Romania, not just me.
>>
>>1153453
The majority of Romanian "old towns" will also have shitty run down commie block areas. It isn't just Sibiu. You will find the same in Brasov, and even to an extent Sighisoara has some shitty bits. The old towns are still cool though. If you are offended by run down commie buildings and crumbling apartments, Romania may not be the best destination for you.
>>
>>1153879
There are some great villages around in the Saxon area of Transylvania where you can get cheap and basic accommodation (sometimes in fortified churches etc). You can still get to some of the bigger towns fairly easily if you want to move around a bit. Another place I would recommend is Poiana Negrii. Its tiny as fuck and very pretty. There are "mountain stations" all over the joint like that, though. If you want rural ugly poverty, just catch a bus and randomly hop off somewhere.
>>
File: Cluj-Napoca-Noaptea.jpg (1MB, 2000x792px) Image search: [Google]
Cluj-Napoca-Noaptea.jpg
1MB, 2000x792px
>>1153261
Cluj is worth seeing, there are a lot of cultural events every weekend and endless pubs, bars, tea-houses even clubs if you are into it. It's a major university point in Romania so from October till June the weekends are on fire. Also a lot of old churches, a citadel with a stunning view and in the area there are some castles other gorgeous buildings. (Sorry if I misspelled some word or didn't expressed myself that good , I still have to progress with my English.)
>>
>>1153955

Spent a few days in Timisoara. There´s not terribly much to do, but the city is nice. Sort of off the beaten path but with plenty of nightlife. Well worth a long weekend IMO.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.