[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/long-term travel packing/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1413689895813.png (68KB, 500x692px) Image search: [Google]
1413689895813.png
68KB, 500x692px
I'm going backpacking for 8+ months. This will be the longest trip of my life. I've done many for between 4-10 weeks but I'm wondering what's something different I should look into taking for a trip this long.

I'm taking a 50L backpack and a daypack that will mostly be filled with my electronics. For those of you who have traveled a long time, what did you take that you wouldn't take for shorter trips. On the other hand what would you suggest not taking to save space/weight.
>>
Don't take a heavy jacket, just bring layers to save on space and weight, while also giving you a decent wardrobe to use as the weather/occasion changes. Wear a baselayer, a long sleeve shirt, a sweater and then throw on a hardshell rain jacket. All of those things combined won't take up as much space as say, a parka.

I'm sure you know that kinda stuff already but I figured I'd throw that in there.
>>
>>1151599
That's a good point, thanks. I'm mostly going to spend my time in warmer climates and the only jacket I'm taking is a Columbia rain jacket, you know the type... Still debating what sort of second layers I'm going to take, I like hoodies but maybe I should take something else as well.
>>
>>1151602
Thin hoodie and maybe a merino wool sweater or one of those zip-neck fleece type shirts. Combine those with a rain jacket and you will be pretty much set for any weather you get, unless you decide to go into a wintery area.
>>
>>1151592
After 6 months I finally unpacked and realized I had a wad of really compressed clothes in the bottom of my bag. Try not to overpack. I'm not sure what you'd need different. Once you're doing laundry on travel, it is all probably the same.
>>
Ok I'm on month 9 now. Ignore anyone that tells you that you can get anything you need anywhere, it's hard as hell to find decent gear in most of the 3rd world. Anyway here's the non obvious stuff that I found useful.

* Pacsafe portable safe 5L. Locks up your important stuff when there's no safe in the room.

* Important docs: Yellow vaccine card, international drivers permit, passport copies

*Alternate credit card and debit card that goes to different accounts. This allows you to recover after you get robbed or cards get shut down.

*Tiny med kit. Bandages, moleskin, antibiotics, malaria meds, anti-diarrhea, motion sickness pills.

*Ridiculous number of decent disposable earplugs. Really hard to find on the road. Bring a decent sleep mask too and you can sleep in any hostel.

*Condoms. Third world condoms are terrible and often fit poorly, and even break easily. And you're going to be getting laid much more than at home if you give it a little effort.

*Misc stuff: 10L dry bag, GoPro, decent compact camera (your cell phone sucks), iPad (leave the laptop at home), ultralight backpacking rain jacket (folds up into nothing), compressible light jacket (see Patagonia nano puff).

Read through the packing list on UncommonGlobe.com. I got a ton of ideas from him.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.