[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travelling from London to Hamburg.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: Lowlands trip.png (853KB, 2112x1348px) Image search: [Google]
Lowlands trip.png
853KB, 2112x1348px
Any advice for my route?
>Lille
>Ypres
>Bruges
>Ghent
>Aalst
>Brussels
>Leuven
>Antwerp
>Breda
>Rotterdam
>Hague
>Amsterdam
>Leeuwharden
>Groningen
>Bremen
>Hamburg
>>
If you like beer:

In Brugges, go to Fort Lapin Brewery. You might have to contact him to make a visit. It's a small family run place with amazing beer.

Also go to Bierbraserie Cambrinus in Brugges. It's a beer mecca. It's a little touristy, but not full of dumbasses.

In Brussels, check out La Porte Noire. It's a quiet little underground place specializing in local Belgian beer. Tourists dont go there.
>>
>>1151374
Thanks anon. Any tips for Ghent
>>
>>1151380
the center is fine. Manny nice bars. Don't forget to visith "het gravenstaan" the castel. The cathedrals and churches also are worth the visith
>>
>>1151366
I dont't know why you would visit Aalst, my advice would be to check out Geraardsbergen, it's not far away from Aalst and still kinda on youe route. Geraardsbergen is way more charming imo.
>>
>>1151386
i meant gravensteen
>>
>>1151374
Also the Kulminator in Antwerp.
It's on what used to be the street I lived. I miss it dearly. Great bar
>>
>>1151388
>I dont' know why you would visit Aalst
An anon recommended stopping off there at bar called 'babbelaar' and the address is "klapstraat 3, Aalst. On my way from Ghent to Brussels.

>my advice would be to check out Geraardsbergen
Cool thanks looking it up now
>>
Depending on when you're going, you might be better off ditching Leuven for Mechelen. Both are about as big, but Leuven is really almost entirely centered on students, and depending on when you're going, there will be none. Or they won't be partying, at least, exams are almost starting.
Whereas Mechelen is always kinda sleepy. Unless you're there on the 26th-28th of August, when there's this: https://www.maanrock.be/ (which is free)
>>
>>1151396
I'll be going in the New year. So there should be people about, but thanks for suggesting Mechelen looking it up now.
Is there literally nothing to see in Wallonia?
>>
>>1151366
Dutch guy living in Groningen and visiting most of your Dutch and Belgian stops regularly. What kind of things are you into? I mean...? Architecture? History? Food? Nature? Culture? Art?
>>
>>1151398
>Dutch guy living in Groningen and visiting most of your Dutch and Belgian stops regularly. What kind of things are you into? I mean...? Architecture? History? Food? Nature? Culture? Art?
Everything, want to experience as much as possible. Also good nightlife. I been to Bruges, ypres before and Dam loads. But have decided I want to travel the lowlands fully. Think the whole area is stunning. Another Dutch anon who live in Leeuwharden and studies in Groningen said theres not much there to visit? Any places I have missed in the Netherlands that is should go to on my way to Hamburg?
>>
>Breda
Can be done in a day or two. Great old centre with many little hidden courtyards and teraces to go for a drink. Boat tour is ok, not great. If you're into theme parks, the Efteling is nearby. It's... something else. Fairytale-oriented, great atmosphere.
>Rotterdam
I'm not a big fan, but for modern architecture it's the place to be. From Erasmus bridge to the cube houses to the new station to the Market hall. The latter is a really good indoor market with loads of good foor. I also always like the harbor. Do a boat tour. It gives me that Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay (Otis Redding) feel at sunset. Hotel New York is there to, from where all the old ocean liners used to leave for the USA. Visit Kinderdijk. Classic Dutch landscape with beautiful active windmills. And, contrary to Zaanse Schans near Amsterdam, not a big fake.
>Hague
Government buildings if you like, Scheveningen beach, and miniature-Holland; Madurodam. Also, check out the Mauritshuys for classic art like the famous Girl With The Pearl Earring by Vermeer.
>Amsterdam
What have you seen so far?
>Leeuwharden
Can be seen in a day. It's nice, but meh. I'd pick another Frisian city personally to be honest. Sneek is beautiful, as is Harlingen. They're close, so you could make it a car trip for 1 day and see those three. From Harlingen you could also go to Terschelling or Vlieland for a day or two. From Holwerd you could visit Ameland and from Lauwersoog you can visit Schiermonnikoog. The Dutch Wadden islands are beautiful. Great biking. Personally I'd go with Ameland or Schiermonnikoog. The latter can be seen in a day, the former you could spend a night.
>>
>Groningen
I love this city and I honestly think it's one of the best in The Netherlands. But actually attractions... not that many. Climb the Martinitoren. Take a boattrip. Go to Cafe De Toeter for a spectacular collection of whisky and craft beer. Great terrace on a big boat with a brewery inside there too. Not to mention small boats for rent. For an even bigger beer collection, try Cafe De Koffer. Go to Poelestraat and Peperstraat for the nightlife. It's a vibrant university city. You need to experience the atmosphere. Rent a bike. Enjoy the scenery. Eat at The Dog's Bollocks for the best burgers in town, Voila or Eetcafe Schuitendiep for a classy restaurant 5 or 6 course dinner or Mr Mofongo for just a good dose of pubfood in a restaurant / bar / distillery. If you want classic Dutch pancakes, go to Pannenkoekschip.

>Other
You might want to check out Leiden or Delft. Both university cities with great classic buildings. They're smaller Amsterdams without all the shitty tourists and coffeeshops. Both a really worth spending a day and a night.

Also, maybe check out a day of cycling at Hoge Veluwe national park. It has a good art museum too. A rental bike is included in the entrance fee of only a few euros. Just as a day-trip or while passing through the area.

You also might want to look into a day of boating in Giethoorn. The old Dutch town without roads. It's all by water. In the summer it's touristy-crowded, but you should be good. Don't spend the night, but it's a fun day-trip.

I already mentioned the Wadden islands. Personally, I'd go with a day and maybe a night on Ameland. The boats are much less expensive than Terschelling and Vlieland. And you'll get the gist. A beautiful world-heritage sea that's almost dry at low tide, great beaches, good cycling.
>>
>>1151402
>>1151418
>>1151422
And if you're interested in anything else in particular just ask.
>>
>>1151418
>>1151422
>>1151423
Thank you so much dude will take your advice
>>
>>1151423
Do you have any advice for Groningen to Hamburg?
>>
>>1151433
Cool! :) Just google some of those places and see what fits you. Curious to hear what you'll end up doing and whether you like it too.

What I forgot to mention - do a lot of it by bike. Kinderdijk from Rotterdam is just an hour of cycling. Most cities are great to see by bike. It gets you around faster and you can see more. They're often for rent at/near the train stations or in the center. On the Wadden bikes are a must.
>>
>>1151438
Bremen is a great pick. You'll like it. Maybe a spa-day at Fontana in Bad Nieuweschans? The old town of Oldenburg is nice too. Especially around Christmas, but that won't help you much now.
>>
>>1151439
>>1151440
I'm planning on going in January, just trying to plan it all now.

>do a lot of it by bike
You are definitely Dutch, will attempt to

Yet again thanks for the advice
>>
How are you traveling? Car, public transport, hitchhiking?

The northwestern route across the Netherlands (the part between Amsterdam-Alkmaar-Leeuwarden-Groningen) will be kind of boring if you do it by car/hitchhiking. Simply not much too see there except empty farmland.
Imo it would be a better option if you go eastwards at Amsterdam. Maybe see Naarden, Utrecht, cross the Utrechtse Heuvelrug towards Nijmegen. Go north across the Veluwe and maybe visit Zwolle too. Then go north towards Leeuwarden/Groningen.
>>
>>1151659
cross the Utrechtse Heuvelrug towards Arnhem*

my bad
>>
>>1151659
>>1151660
I plan on travelling by public transport. Cool thanks for the advice.
>>
>>1151659
>>1151660
Was planning on visiting Alkmaar for a day, maybe I should do it will I'm in Amsterdam then go on your suggested route?!
>>
>>1151695
This, and maybe make a stop in Haarlem on that same trip. Visit the Jopen church and drink their great beer.
>>
>>1151397
>nothing to see in Wallonia?
No, there are plenty of things to see. But they're further apart (still relative because it's Belgium), generally smaller and more focused on nature. Kayaking on the Lesse and the Ourthe is fun, there's plenty of stuff around Durbuy (which is quaint in itself), mountainbiking around Houffalize is GOAT. As for cities, I've only really been to Liège and Namur. Both of which were fun but not something you should go out of your way to visit.
>>
I live in leeuwarden*, and it's nice we have a crooked tower like in pisa, but if you wanna see some frisian "culture" you won't find it here you're gonna have to go to one of the cities, they're more like villages, of the 11 stedentocht. And if you can afford it definately go to giethoorn it's like the venice of the low countries.
>>
>>1151778
>Frisians getting uppity again
No, the Venice of the Low Countries is Brugge and that's final. Giethoorn is cute, though.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.