[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How likely will I get kidnapped or killed in Roatan?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: roatan.jpg (44KB, 550x366px) Image search: [Google]
roatan.jpg
44KB, 550x366px
Thinking of heading out over Christmas break for 10 days or so.

What does /trv think of Roatan?
>>
Considered living there but I've read too much about the crime from the mainland infecting the island.
>>
>>1151122
zero. I was last there on a cruise this summer. Might as welll be a different country. It's all tourists and rich people
>>
>>1151178
Did you enjoy your time there?
>>
>>1151165
Where'd you end up living instead?
>>
>>1151122
I was there about five years ago.

The island is pretty sharply divided between areas for the locals and areas for tourists. The areas for locals, like Coxen Hole, creeped me the fuck out at night, so I'd avoid those. A lot of VERY poor, angry looking people eyeing my family and I. Ultimately nothing happened, but you got the definite sense of being sized up.

The areas of the island for tourists were simply lovely though. Not tacky and gift-shoppy, but lots and lots and lots of old white people and Hondurans who were extremely friendly.

We were told that the island is almost entirely made up of English speakers, which was immensely untrue. I would strongly recommend studying up in Spanish if you don't want to look like an idiot, since very few of the workers at restaurants/stores spoke any English whatsoever. That said, those who do speak English are exceedingly friendly and wonderful people. We went because my mom was terminally ill and it was a last hurrah, so the women working the restaurants and the area we stayed at were immeasurably sympathetic and nice. I still get choked up thinking about the lady who baked us her own rum-cake and brought it to us just to say "hey we hope you feel better"

The glassboat guys all sell weed, but it's really shitty. Alcohol is absurdly cheap and decent. Food was incredible as well if you stick to local fare. Still, 5 years later, I crave the traditional Honduran breakfast of beans, eggs, cheese and tortilla.

All in all I had an incredible time.
>>
>>1151461
Nice. Thanks. Sounds awesome.
>>
I usually visit San Pedro Sula and Tegucicalpa every year, as my family is from there. Roatan is safe, its a tourist haven. But stay in the area / path. Don't act like some rich tourist scum and you'll be fine.
>>
Look desu Honduras is a rather safe country, the murder rate and all the crime happens on the mainland, and even then it is rare that people who aren't involved in criminal activities to be targeted by gangs. Just use common sense like anywhere in the world and you'll be fine
>>
Rotan is beautiful and safe and the alcohol and food are cheap, totally recommend.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.