[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Budapest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: promo_1003_en.jpg (45KB, 970x300px) Image search: [Google]
promo_1003_en.jpg
45KB, 970x300px
Dear /trv/bros.

In two weeks i'm going to Budapest to study abroad for 5 months with a homie of mine so i've been trying to do some research about the culture, youth and life and so on. However spending alot of time on google only give me lame tourist answers so i though i might ask you experienced guys for some tips and perhaps others would benefit as well.

I'm mostly interested in having a fucking great time. Personally i'm a big fan of Berlin. The raw culture. The youth. The electronic music. Life and raves. Has Budapest anything like it? Where's the places to be? Where is it happening? I've heard some people calling it the next Berlin but also the Eastern European Paris.

Anyways before receiving answers i've got the following knowledge:
>fun things happen at the Pest side
>there is no weed but cheap beer
>don't let prostitutes take you into expensive bars/strip clubs
>try the baths

tl;rd: Underground culture and life in Budapest.
>>
>>1151030
check out the SParties held in either Lukács or Széchenyi Baths each weekend

for nightlife look for the famous ruin pubs of the general downtown area and more precisely the Jewish District (Király-Wesselényi-Dohány streets)

cool clubs, concert venues and bars include (from hipster to more pleb): Toldi Klub, LARM, Anker't, Tesla, BRKLYN, 4Bro Downtown, Ellátó, Dürer Kert, A38, Akvárium, Kraft, Fogasház, Instant, Szimpla

nice places to drink at before going to a party: the Citadel, Buda Castle, Erzsébet tér, the cables of the Liberty Bridge, Margaret Island, on the terraces of the Bálna, or if you don't mind venturing a bit further out of the center, then the Roman amphitheatre in Nagyszombati street (bus line number 9 takes you there from the downtown in around ten-fifteen minutes)

this should cover the first few weeks, by you're through with these places you most likely will be familiar enough with the city to make your own choices

if you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask them

also, which uni are you going to and what will you be studying?
>>
>>1151468

Not OP, but I also heading to Budapest from 3rd September for three nights. Staying in Budapest 1054 - close to the parliament building.

What activities/things to do would you recommend? Also any highly recommended bars specific to near Budapest 1054?

Anything to avoid as well?
>>
>>1152176
in your immediate neighborhood (Hold utca) there's the Downtown Market, a turn-of-the-century market hall transformed into a gastro mall, dotted with great eateries

another nearby street, the Október 6. utca has some neat street food joints as well, and at the end of that street, you'll find Erzsébet tér, the downtown's main drinking spot, where each night locals and foreigners mingle while drinking wine and having fun

everything important will be in walking distance to you, so the things I've mentioned in my previous post still apply here - also, since you'll be that close to the Parliament, make sure to do a tour of the building

I'd say look up welovebudapest.com or grab a copy of Funzine (a monthly published free program magazine found in bars, clubs, cinemas, restaurants, hotels etc.) if you want to know what's happening right now in the city and what places you should check out

as for things to avoid... generally, the restaurants between Vörösmarty tér and Fővám tér - they're all overpriced tourist traps. District 8 is the shadiest neighbourhood of Budapest (due to its high density of gypsies and more recent immigrants like blacks and arabs), but if you stay within the area encircled by the Nagykörút (or Grand Boulevard) and the 4-6 tramlines, you'll be good - Budapest is a much safer city than most European capitals, the only thing you have to fear is unlicensed taxi drivers trying to rip you off thinking you're a dumb rich western tourist

if you have questions regarding museums, parks, viewpoints and other stuff, I'll gladly answer them in another post
>>
>>1152202

that is really excellent advice, thank you.

Erzsébet tér looks particularly fun.

What are your top 3 must do? (aside from the parliament tour - we will definitely be doing that)

Are bars generally relaxed about clothing? Travelling light so would rather avoid packing smart shoes etc.

Also, any recs for best things to do/see which are free?

The more I have looked into Budapest the more I like it - shame that only spending 3 nights there, but travelling to Vienna from Budapest - so it is really nice to get another city in on a short trip.
>>
>>1152206
my top 3 must-do things in Budapest

>roaming around the Castle District starting two hours before sunset, then opening a bottle of wine at Fisherman's Bastion and slowly drinking it as the city lights up before your eyes, taking Bus 16 to Deák Ferenc tér, continue drinking sitting on the edge of the open air aquarium and then finishing off the night at one of the nearby clubs
>soaking in one of the city's many baths (Gellért is the most beautiful, but the small and cheap Király is another favourite of mine, it's also one of the three Turkish baths from the Ottoman era of the city that are still functioning)
>randomly walking around the general downtown area for hours, with your head held high up, taking note of all the little details in architecture that make Budapest one of the nicest capitals (and my favourite city) in the world
>+1: a boat ride on the Danube (choose the public transport boats of BKK: http://www.bkk.hu/en/tickets-and-passes/prices/single-ticket-for-public-transport-boat/)

I'd say most places don't really care what clothes you wear, just don't go in there with your slippers and shorts on. talking from own experience, the security guards never denied entry from me because of my clothes

free stuff that you can do (apart from walking around, watching the bustling city life from the top of the Citadel, and lazying around in the grass of Margaret Island, or besides the 13th century ruins of a monastery the island also gives home to) includes
>a tour of the city's Roman ruins (the Thermae Maiores is my favourite, it's a giant bathing complex situated under the overpass leading up to Árpád bridge - finding it is tricky, but it's a very cool place)
>a visit to the Cave Church inside Gellért hill
>wandering around the City Park, a huge green area located behind Heroes' Square that gives place to the Széchenyi baths, a fake-castle complex called Vajdahunyad vár, an artificial lake, the Budapest Zoo, and some other buildings
>>
>>1152234

Absolutely brilliant. Thank you for all your advice x
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>1151468
OP here. Thanks man this is exactly the kind of advice i hoped to find. I'll be studying sociology/psychology at ELTE. I take it you're a student as well?

Anyhow thanks for the great tip. Bless brother!
>>
>>1152238
glad I could help, hope you'll have a wonderful time!
>>
>>1152240
>I take it you're a student as well?
not anymore, I've graduated from ELTE two years ago :^)
cheers man, have fun!
>>
I am going budapest on a stag holiday. There are only four of us going, and we won't be boozed up English LADS LADS LADS but what are the strip clubs like in Budapest?
>>
>>1152812
I've heard nice things about 4Play Lounge on Nagymező tuca and Marilyn Night Club on Kálvin tér
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.