[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travel packs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (18KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 300x300px
I'm going on a solo trip to Italy next month. I don't really feel like lugging a suit case everywhere since I'll be bouncing around.

Any suggestions for a backpack that's not too big, that can carry enough clothes and stuff for 7 days? Preferably something that's good for flying with too.

Also, any ideas for a small day pack too?
>>
Does anyone know anything about Tortuga bags? These look good.

http://www.tortugabackpacks.com/products/tortuga-packable-daypack?utm_source=recommended
>>
>>1150131
Osprey Porter 46, everything you're looking for, as good as the competition and a lot cheaper.
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 600x400px
>>1150144

Looks nice, I'll check it out, but compared to the Tortuga bag. Which is better?

http://www.tortugabackpacks.com/products/tortuga-travel-backpack
>>
>>1150172
Probably just an issue of price really...
>>
I bought the Osprey Farpoint 40. I haven't used it yet but it's easily packable and it feels awesome.
>>
I took my gregory zulu 30 for a 12 day trip to new zealand. I pack light but it carried everything I needed beautifully, including a small packable eddie bauer daypack. Best 120 bucks I've ever spent.
>>
>>1150190
Hey I just bought that today kvolcano gray). I'm going to Europe for a couple weeks. Where are you going?
>>
>>1150190
>>1150511
Better to get the 46L as its still fine for carry on
>>
>>1150134
>>1150144
>>1150172
OP, my friend and I both decided to buy packs at the same time and compare. He got the Tortuga, and I got the Osprey Farpoint with the detachable daypack. After both receiving and trying out the packs, I think the Tortuga is the better pack. The material quality is high, it's sleek, and it has more useful pocket placement than the Osprey.

The only benefit of the Osprey over the Tortuga is price (and not by a whole lot) and the detachable daypack, which the Tortuga lacks completely.
>>
>>1150511
Going to China for four months to study. I'll pack what I need and buy the rest there.
>>
>>1150134
I have the Tortuga, I really like it. I occasionally look at other bags, but nothing is as feature-rich and designed specifically for what I want.

The bag they're selling now is the V2 apparently, they're coming out with the V3 before the end of the year.

I also have their day pack and use it daily. It's perfect for my Surface and random shit for work.
>>
>>1150636
Oh, nice. I hope you enjoy your time there
>>
I was looking at the Tortuga backpack but it didn't ship to Sweden, so I just got the Farpoint 40 instead. Tortuga sure seems like a nice company.

>>1150718
Thanks! Enjoy Europe. Are you from America? If so, read up on common tourist scams in Europe.

Basically:
- Ignore beggars, especially child beggars.
- DO NOT let anyone put stuff on your body (hands, most notably). Like rings, bracelets etc. They'll force you to pay for it and will gang up if you don't.
- Don't trust friendly strangers.
>>
>>1150747
Depends where in Europe you are for the strangers bit, get to know the rich and poor districts of the cities you go to, friendly strangers in the rich district are exactly that, friendly strangers. In the poor areas likely they are scammers or some other form of crook
>>
>>1150765
Good point. Also, friendly strangers in very touristy areas are generally a no-no.
>>
>>1150515
That's true, but the Porter isn't as easy to carry around on your back. It's more like a case that you can carry and the farpoint is a backpack that you can use as a case. It's not meant for wearing for long periods

I spent an inordinate amount of time researching those ospreys and that's the main difference, if anyone here is considering bags
>>
>>1150773
I just wore the Porter for a month around SEA and didn't have any real problems assuming you keep the wait roughly below carry on limits.
This is assuming you have a place to leave it during most days when your out sight seeing.
It would work well with a small day bag you could roll up and keep inside.
>>
For a 7 dar trip I wouldn't worry much. Go to your local outdoor store and get something on sale. Whether it's a hiking or travel pack, it doesn't matter.

If you plan to use this on a longer trip later on go to an REI near you and ask for help trying on the various suitcase-opening travel packs they have. The important thing is getting something that fits right and is convenient. Don't worry about getting something that's too big unless you need to avoid the checked bag fees. The sweet spot in size is different for everyone - for me, it's a 45L main pack and a 20L day pack.
>>
OP here

I think im gonna go with the Osprey Porter 46. I was just talking to a Federal Air Marshal and he told me that it's his go-to bag. They travel so fucking much he has to know what's good to get. Thanks everyone for the advice :)
>>
>>1150747
Yes, I'm American. Thanks for the words of caution. I'm leaving in a few hours, so I'm pretty excited! I'm packing the Farpoint 40 right now :)
>>
>>1152046
Funny, I'm leaving for the US in a few hours (staying there for 2 weeks before going to China). I'm literally packing my Farpoint 40 right now :D
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.