[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you guys afford traveling and how do you do it alone?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: kirbycafe1.jpg (182KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
kirbycafe1.jpg
182KB, 900x1200px
How do you guys afford traveling and how do you do it alone?

I want to travel but I'm stingy and save my money. I also have no friends. Please tell me about your own living/job situation and how you like to travel? Stories and whatnot would be great. I'm a 25 year old business student, an introvert and I love culture and sights.
>>
Where is that cafe? It's so cool.
>>
File: kirbycafe15.jpg (172KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
kirbycafe15.jpg
172KB, 1200x900px
>>1149332
Kirby Cafe in Osaka. Just opened on the 8th.
>>
>>1149317
>How do you guys afford traveling and how do you do it alone?
By having a job?
>>
>>1149335
But most real jobs don't let you take as much time off as most posters on here seem to have
>>
>>1149356
We work a shit job for a few months, save than quit it and travel for a bit.
>>
>>1149335
>>1149356
>>1149357
Idk man I'm unemployed.
>>
File: 1435899804129.jpg (17KB, 316x239px) Image search: [Google]
1435899804129.jpg
17KB, 316x239px
>>1149358
Then why did you post this question?
What the fuck kind of answer did you expect?
>>
>>1149360
I'm a different poster.

And my point is that you can still afford to travel even with little money unless we are talking about luxury destinations like the Maldives or something.
>>
>>1149317
I work contracts at my job. Contracts usually last about 10-12 months. I then take an unpaid 1 month off to travel and come back to my job. I usually am able to find work pretty quickly after coming back, only one time I had a break of a month where I didn't do anything and was almost ripping my hair out. That shouldn't happen much any more because of my seniority.

I'm pretty similar to you OP, 29, business school grad, introvert, love cultures (after taking an international business course actually).

I travel alone for 4-6 weeks a year. It's how I like it. This amount of time usually allows me to see 2 countries. I stay in hostels as it's cheaper and allows me to meet people to travel with. As an introvert it's super easy to meet people in hostels as everyone* is friendly and in a similar position. Most of the time they approach me.

My suggestion: take a 1 week solo trip, somewhere you haven't been to before but isn't very foreign to you. My first solo trip was to Portland (from Vancouver, Canada).
>>
>>1149357
And this works? Do future employers not get sp00ked when they see you work for a tiny bit and then fug off?
>>
>>1149424
>putting McDonald's tier jobs on your resume
>>
>>1149317
I fucking love traveling. I'm eighteen, just graduated high school in June. I'm a huge extrovert, which helps.

My first solo trip was to Portland during spring break (I live in LA) and I had a really good time. I have a fake ID so I got to experience the nightlife as well. I met people organically and from Tinder, and overall had a good time. I also did a lot of solo things and just went to the zoo and stuff like that. I saved up from working part time as a hostess. I booked airbnbs and booked a flight when it was cheap.

This summer I went to Korea to stay with my family and it was all paid for. But I used my savings to book a flight from Seoul to Bangkok and backpacked alone. I met a group of travelers at my hostel and they convinced me to come with them to Cambodia. So I said fuck it, delayed my flight and went to Siem Reap with them. One of the best decisions of my life. I got to see Angkor Wat and just travel more and it was amazing. My savings account took a huge hit but whatever, it was worth it.

I'm taking a gap semester so I start school in January. I'm working all month of August (3 jobs) so I can backpack Europe all of September. I'm hoping to save ~$2500. I have $1000 but I already spent half booking my flight. Dude if you really wanted to do it, you would. Its possible.
>>
>>1149426
Then how do you explain employment gaps? They usually invite scrutiny
>>
>>1149356
I'm more of a homebody so I never travel for more than 2-3 weeks at a time.
>>
High scjool teacher travel 2 times a yera
>55k a year
Jelly m8
>>
>>1149448
>teacher
>High scjool
>yera

wew lad
>>
I get to travel about once a year. American. I'm 30, I make 90k in IT and only get about two weeks of vacation. I jump from job to job every year like the above poster and take time off in between work. So I'll use up my vacation time then quit because America has shit vacation time. Usually I save up and credit card churn all year to get easy flights and accomodations then just camp and every few days rent a hotel to recouperate on my long trips. I try to make a few thousand dollars last a long time and drag around a girlfriend/friend because I'm shit at meeting new people.
>>
>>1149317
if you're not mentally handicapped, saving is easy

if you are mentally handicapped, best of luck to you
>>
>>1149317
I'm in the US military. I get 30 days of leave every year, stackable to 60 (really 90 if you do it right) plus 3 to 4 days off for every federal holiday.

Military comes with a bunch of discounts on travel, and amusement. Plus your whole pay is technically disposable income, as the baisc necessities are provided for.

Some recent and future trips. Spent 2 weeks in Bahrain in December (visiting old friends) , 7 day Western Carribean cruise around Memorial Day, Bush Gardens Tampa, which was free, around 4th of July. Vacation within Georgia for anniversary in mid July. Thailand for 3 weeks in November, to include Loy Krathong. Cruise with kids in March, around their Spring Break. A week in Panama with best friend in May. That's as far as I have planned put so far. Doesn't include travel I do for work
>>
>>1149477
Oh as far as alone. I have it built in my relationship. I prefer it. When I got married I made an agreement that we would have at minimum 3 trips a year. One with esth other, one with kids, and one without each other (thoughcan be with or to visit friends). I prefer by myself, doesn't feel like a vacation, as far as being rejuvenated upon return, if I am with other people because I feel responsible for them and everytjing is compromise. Even when I am with my wife, I will extend my vacation beyond hers. Like I will be in Thailand an extra week and a half agter she goes home.
>>
>>1149480
That's good you made that arrangement and it works out. Some parents think that vacationing without the kids or without both spouse and kids, makes you a terrible person.
But to be honest, I am taking my first completely solo vacation for 5 days without spouse and kid, so I feel guilty about it.
>>
>>1149317
Start by focusing more on MAKING money and less on saving it. If niggers with iqs of 70 can figure out how to make money you have no excuse. You've got to be a pretty shitty business student if you can't figure out how to make enough bank to travel.
>>
>>1149440
Wow it's true what they say, this generation is out of touch.

You never fudged a resume before? Pretty sure 90% of the world does that
>>
>>1149437
Nice blog post
>>
Can someone explain how you manage the rent and everything in between if you go on longer trips? I'm curious about starting to travel but i'm wondering how to earn money for everything.
>>
>>1150058
>but i'm wondering how to earn money for everything
Work and save up money, its not fucking rocket science. Ask your employer if you can take all of your vacation days at once + overtime or an unpaid leave and you can travel for 2 month. If you want to travel longer quit your burger flipper job and your appartment.
What kind of question is that even, you either pay the rent for the duration that youre gone, you cancel the appartment or you get someone to move in temporarly
>>
>>1149488
>Til there's a dedicated verb for that.
>>
>>1149440
Lie cheerfully.
>oh I quit that last job because I wanted to see the world
>but I was honest about it from the start, they knew I was only going to work there for a year or two
>I'm ready to settle down now, I've got the travelling out of my system
Then just quit after <12 months (<18 months for extra resume cred), rinse and repeat, if this is a schedule that fits you. Many people like only travelling for only one-two months on end. If you're working anything above essentially anonymous entry-level jobs, most employers will try to work something out to accommodate this latter scenario.
>>
How much would it cost to do a RTW trip?
>>
>>1150122
Essentially impossible to say. Flight tickets will be the biggest variable of your trip, and they're impossible to predict accurately more than a couple of monhts in advance.
>>
>>1149317
I've never been a months/years-on-the-road traveler, and don't want to be. I love going places but dislike living out of a bag. I like a comfortable base. So the longest single trip I've ever taken was only a little over six weeks--a couple of weeks alone in South America, a couple of weeks alone in some post-Soviet backwaters, and a couple of weeks with my wife in Turkey. It was a great trip.

In the past, I was also an expat (plenty of short trips and immersion), a traveling broke grad student (research grants), and, rather briefly, an international business traveler (no time but lots of glimpses and frequent flyer miles).

Nowadays, my trips are short and expensive, because my wife has a busy 9-to-5 and higher standards than I do. Two or three weeks in good hotels or nice Airbnbs.
>>
I work in the US maritime industry on a four week on, two week off rotation. I chose this work in large part for the freedom to travel, but because I often don't get my full two weeks off, because of uncertainty about exactly when i get off, because of being on call when I'm off, and because of general fatigue, I haven't traveled as much as I hoped. Looking to find a new company that gives equal time on and off, or maybe quitting and doing TEFL or grad school or something.
>>
>>1149423
What job?

My problem is all the money I save, I keep it for general savings and have a hard time saving for trv when I could be saving for that general savings fund.
>>
>>1149477
I was a federal employee, until I retired. I'd would save up vacation time till there was a decent amount to go somewhere. After 15 years, I started getting 5 weeks a year, I also learned how to apply sick leave to vacations. The last 5 years I worked I was taking ten weeks off a year. As a bonus, the pay was great also.
>>
I can't.
I study and my family is mid-income tier. University only lets me work during holidays and in stuff inside the uni itself.
I can barely save $50 bucks or so a month if i starve, but that ends up going to other stuff at the end.
>>
>>1149317
>work for a few months
>save up
>quit
>travel for a few months
>come home
>get new job
>work for a few months
>quit
>etc

It's kind of a miserable existence but without traveling I'd probably kill myself. Takes my mind off of the fact that I'm going to be alone forever
>>
>>1150474
I'm curious, what do you do for accommodation at home?

Do you rent, or live with family, or what?

That kind of work-travel balance seems an ideal way to go about it, but I can see paying rent at home meaning it'd take more than a few months to save the necessary money.
>>
My parents died and left me their house so I don't pay rent

I earn £30k a year and I have 24 paid leave days. I have £35k in savings

Usually I just take reasonably short trips but I just booked 2 months sabbatical for Jan Feb to do South East Asia

This year I've done:

Two weeks in Peru
Five nights in Madrid
Long weekend in Freiburg
Going to a festival in Paris end of this month
Gonna do five nights in Cairo end of Sept

I had to endure a lot of pain and stress for everything that I've got but now I'm where I want to be financially and travel wise and my life is incredible
>>
>>1150539
I have 2 room mates, usually when I'm gone they'll let someone move in or I'll just cover rent for the 3 months before I leave.
>>
>20
>Ausfag
>Supermarket cashier

Get paid $24 an hour and work casual, so I can take time off any time I want. Since turning 18, I work 4 months and save everything, then take off overseas for 2 months. Living with a friend, so rent is $50pw, and the rest I can save. Heading off to Manila in three weeks for all of September and November. I know I'll have to get an actual job eventually, but for now I'm happy doing this.
>>
Work at a chill company that doesnt mind me taking off
Work freelance
Work contract jobs
Save 80% of my income that isnt going to rent/food (so about $1000 a month to savings)
Im dying to travel alone but like
Im married and spouse wants to go with me everywhere
>>
I'm sort of similar to OP however I can probably afford holidays I just don't know how to plan them.

How much does an average holiday cost? What about visas? Flights? Hotels?

I should be getting a big pay rise soon and at the moment pretty much break even each month so anything extra will be savings for trips.

I've never been anywhere not on a family holiday so it was always .y parents who sorted everything so I pretty much have no clue.

For example how much would it cost and what would I need to do to disappear to some tropical island for a week from the UK.
>>
>>1149317
I am a solitary person in general, and greatly prefer the pace of traveling alone. Traveling with others is stressful, frustrating, and makes you want to murder each other and constantly compromise on itinerary and cost.

If you want to turn a friend into an enemy, go on a vacation with them. The only exception to this might be close family you know you can get along with, particularly someone weak willed who will do what you want to do like your mum.

I've vacationed in Japan alone about 4-5 months off and it was great. Highly recommend in the Tokyo area to just soak up the city without worrying about stragglers.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.