[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ALASKA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: alaska.jpg (107KB, 1024x474px) Image search: [Google]
alaska.jpg
107KB, 1024x474px
I am going to be traveling to alaska at the end of this month to see what it's like and to see if I would like to live there some day.

I come from California and I'm a back end developer.

What am I in for? I would like to live up there to be honest because I long for the charm of living in a small town and living in a house surrounded by vast acres of green or snow.
>>
Lots of Java and ASP.NET. Functional programming is very big out there. Remote work is fairly easy to attain. Expect a lot of SCRUM teams.
>>
>>1148662
By far the most comfy place I've ever been to.
I want to go back so bad.
>>
>>1148675
Anything else popular there other than programming?
>>
I sometimes fantasize about moving there. I'm not really an outdoorsy person, so its probably stupid. Maybe its just that I think that since I'm odd I might fit in there better.
>>
I went in the summer
If your plans are 90% based on outdoor activities, it's really incredible. The sun rises at around 5am and sets at about 11pm, it's a really trippy experience. The weather is a comfortable 70ish degrees at its peak, and the views and vastness of the territory are mindblowing
Civilization-wise there's almost nothing to do there. From what I remember even Anchorage isn't that worthwhile of a city to be in
>>
>>1148662

I have another AK related question. Is it still worthwhile to do a cruise up to Alaska, from August or September, or is it better to have done it earlier in the summer?
>>
>>1149537
That sums it up pretty well. Just don't forget the sunrise/set is the opposite in the winter. Drives some people crazy...
>>
>>1148677
Yeah, there's a lot of Management opportunities, as well as design work, but the pay for those sort of jobs out there don't pay as well.
>>
How easy is it for a Canadian to get into Alaska for a month worth of a vacation, preferably legally.
>>
File: 1399418160853.jpg (62KB, 256x259px) Image search: [Google]
1399418160853.jpg
62KB, 256x259px
>>1150176
is this b8
>>
>>1150181
No I'm dead serious anon
>>
>>1150182
>acquire passport
>book plane to Alaska
>take pass customs
>tell to border agent you're going to Alaska for a month's vacation
>come back after vacation is over

Jesus Christ man.
>>
>>1150183
>>pass customs*
whoops
>>
>>1150183
Thanks anon :)
>>
How much would a 2 month trip to Alaska roughly cost.
>>
File: 20160803_201743.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160803_201743.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Hey I'm from the interior of Alaska.
Actually moving to Healy Lake from Glendale at the end of the month.
Yuppies love the whale cruises and they are cool, but shits expensive and eating salmon along the Yukon is worth any amount of whale sightings and can cost about the same.
Anchorage is a dirty place to live, lot of meth for a while but it still has a small town charm in a way that's only ruined by the constant buildup of grey black ice on the sides of the streets.
Palmer, Homer, Seward are all pretty nice, if you're uptighty white then the Pineapple belt around the Homer area will fit your 'green acres' vision fine.
Otherwise Fairbanks is the next best choice, it's like a college town but has some rural developments around in ranging between all income levels. Green acre farming towards Delta Junction.
Unless you have family or business in the coastal fishing towns I would avoid them, they are dry, no booze, kids huff gas, good money in crab though in King Cove, Cold Bay.
Stay off the North Slope unless you have business in the oil industry, depressive place to be if you're not getting 110,000+ USD to be there.
If you want to experience the best of Alaska you should go through Fairbanks and then to the villages along the Yukon by small plane, see the boat races during the summer in Galena, and the Iditarod might go through Koyukuk again this winter.
Also for living here the state will throw farm equipment at you if you will use it on your land and money for all the oil they sit on. No sales tax too.
Pic related, taken August 3rd in the evening.
>>
Im also heading to alaska at the end of the month, aug 31.

Starting in Palmer and heading home to washington through canada. Anything in eastern alaska or top side of canada a must visit? We have some plans to see stuff and some time just need some solid recomendations while there
>>
>>1150041
Not much of a difference. Only two negatives
>a bit less daylight
>ocean is less calm

>>1150195
White Pass Railroad
Chilkoot Pass

If you're heading back to Washington, consider taking the Prince Rupert-Port Hardy ferry.
>>
>>1150188

Way too broad of a question.

>>1150195

First, buy a Milepost. Second, what are you driving? Can it handle gravel roads? If so, going through Chicken and Dawson City is a good change from the ALCAN (which can get boring, at least for a motorcycle rider).

If you want to see more of Alaska on your way out, consider this route starting in Palmer. It adds quite a few miles and time, but gives you a lot to do.

>Go up over Hatchers Pass, then north to Cantwell
>Cantwell to Paxson using the Denali Highway (another gravel road)
>Then south to the Richardson, and out to Tok
>Head north to Chicken, or keep going for the border

Once into Canada, consider the Cassiar highway instead of the ALCAN again. It's a slower paced road, lets you soak it all up. You can also do a side trip to Hyder, Alaska. There isn't shit there but a nice glacier and some bears. The ALCAN does have some nice mountain areas (the rockies, lol), but it's just too fast and straight for me.

Try not to drive at night and keep your gas tank full. Canadian run camp sites are great, free wood. Bring a sign from home to leave at the sign post forest. Look up the Sourtoe cocktail if you go through Dawson City, pretty unique. Don't confuse Dawson City and Dawson Creek. The latter is mile zero of the ALCAN and is located in BC. The former is located in the Yukon and much more remote. Check out the Liard hot springs. Don't bring a gun. Buy your bear mace there and declare it at the border as "bear spray". Keep your camp clean, animals will show up if food is left out. Check out the Carcross desert. God damn sand dunes in Canada. Blew my mind. If you're going past Talkeetna, stop in for lunch and visit the mayor. I'm serious.
>>
>>1148662
>I would like to live up there to be honest because I long for the charm of living in a small town
Talkeetna was the original inspiration for the small town in the TV show "Northern Exposure" afaik.

As far as living there, for myself in my travel last year, I got a sense of a lot of vacation homes/snowbird kind of living for a lot of the homes. Summer is superbusy in Alaska, where people are getting the most out of fishing and hunting seasons like it's a full-time job. I'm not entirely honest how many places you'll really get the year round enjoyment, desu. Anchorage feels like a small town, and Palmer/Wasilla feels like a real suburban community. I think I'd enjoy living somewhere ferry accessible like outside of Homer, possibly Seldovia.
>>
File: Stubbs.jpg (23KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
Stubbs.jpg
23KB, 400x225px
>>1150272
>If you're going past Talkeetna, stop in for lunch and visit the mayor. I'm serious.
You can visit Stubbs?

And yet another reason to go back to AK.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.