[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any tips for visiting Singapore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

I am going for three days to Singapore.
I am planning to visit Gardens at the Bay and Orchard Road plus Balester Food Hawkers.
Anything else I should see?
Any recommendations?
Are there ladyboys in Singapore?
Is prostitution legal or should I avoid prostitutes?
>>
File: DSCN0334.jpg (1MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0334.jpg
1MB, 2816x2112px
The right way to do hawker centres is to visit a specific targeted place, not just "ooh I saw the one you haven't heard of". The great thing about it is that even though some obscure specialties might be in some random subdivision far from train service the incredibly low cost of the meal basically makes up for it, so you can basically take taxis around the island trying different things and not stress too hard about wasting money.

/trv/ doesn't much like Singapore because it is clean and prosperous and law-abiding, and real Authentic Orientals™ are supposed to be filthy and loud and poor so we can totally have an "inversion of western values" vacation and puke on street signs while breaking people's property

You'll get mostly people telling you it was a mistake to go on "vacation" in singapore (I forgot to mention the only possible pretext for getting on an airplane on /trv/ is gap year because we're mostly NEET). Needless to say your three day "vacation" in singapore was very poorly thought out, like WTF man, you can't even buy drugs there WHAT A BUZZKILL MANNN
>>
>>1147948
I want to go to Singapore because it is clean and orderly, I live in London which is incredibly dirty and actually the trip is sort of like scouting mission to see if I could move there to work.
>>
why would you go there? its trash and hot shit's expensive
>>
File: Haji Lane.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Haji Lane.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1147944
Prostitution is legal, just head to Geylang or the Four Floors of Whores (Orchard Towers). If you're into ladyboys you should be able to find some, but they're not as prevalent. Singapore is fairly conservative and being a ladyboy goes completely against their views/laws, so ladyboy prostitutes are illegal. This is what can make them harder to find, and these "girls" aren't regulated so you can't be 100% sure that they are disease free.

If you're into clubbing or want to drop a lot of cash to get drunk and potentially laid, go to Zouk. This is by far the best club to go to, I've always found it to be the most fun and have the most locals because it's not situated on Boat Quay or Clarke Quay. These to quays are loaded with restaurants, bars, clubs, and are young tourist + expat central.

Try heading out to the Arab district there, near Bugis (blue line). Arab Street, Haji Lane, etc. are loaded with lots of small restaurants, cafes, and cool shops. It is a hipstery place, but even with that I find it to be one of the cooler neighbourhoods in Singapore

Chinatown is obligatory, and the biggest hawker centre is located there. Depending what time you go, you might be able to grab some food from the first Michelin Star hawker called Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle.

If you're looking to go walking/hiking try heading up to the MacRitchie Reservoir. Or maybe go to Pulau Ubin, rent a bike for a few dollars there, and explore the island. Since your body won't be used to the climate you'll probably sweat your dick off doing either of these, but I'd still recommend that you do at least one of these if you want to see the nature side of things. Or head up to Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve, but I never had the chance to go there during my four months in Singapore.

Additionally some less strenuous outdoor activities would be to visit the Botanical Gardens, or the almost never visited Chinese Garden.
>>
I've lived in Singapore for 5 months as part of an Exchange Programme at SMU, so I'm going to give a short info on what I did in the meantime.

- Walk a bit through Little India and get some incredible Butter Chicken with Garlic Naan at Tekka Food Centre at Serangoon Road ($4 IIRC)
- If you haven't picked a hostel yet, either go to Inncrowd or the Green Kiwi (both in Little India). I stayed at the Inncrowd and they have some pretty nice, free, scooter tours that a guide from the hostel is going with you. The tour is at night, so if you wanna go in the morning, it's nice for a change of perspective.
- If you have the time, do the MacRitchie trail (look it up) for a couple of hours of nice exercise.
- Waterloo Street (near SMU) has a hawker centre that has some of the nicest chicken rice in the place (the stall has a blue banner/mark above the stall).
- There is this one place just outside of 'modern' hawker centre in the middle of the financial district. I forgot the name, but the 'modern' place has a green roof and features lots of stalls. However, if you go through the hawker centre to the back, there is a big place where you can get a lot of different kinds of yummy satay for quite a low price.
- Visit the National Museum and stroll around through the SMU campus for a bit if you feel like it.
- Visit Chinatown
- If you're into clubbing, skip Altimate, but opt to go to Zouk instead. It's pricey, but the place has a lot of different areas and often, DJ's are performing there. I saw Jamie XX and some trance DJ's playing there, shit was aight. Since you cannot drink in the city centre (Clarke Quay) anymore (which is what we always used to do), just find some pubs a bit outside of the centre. http://sethlui.com/best-craft-beer-bars-singapore/
- If you have the time, visiting Palau Ubin is also nice. I preferred this with riding a bike for a day than doing the MacRitchie Trail.

I hate it when people call Singapore, Singa"bore". Fuck those people. Have fun, bro.
>>
>>1148027
>>1148032
Thank you both for these answers.
Is £250 enough for 3 days? I will skip clubbing and ladyboys if they are illegal.
>>
>>1148032
I already booked an Ibis hotel.
>>
>>1148145
I think it should be. Singapore can be cheap if you want it to be, but it can be easy for costs to get out of hand. If you mainly eat at hawkers you'll probably be paying $3-$6 SGD per meal, but if you head out to a restaurant you're looking at least $20 SGD+. If you want a beer at a bar/restaurant that will typically cost ~$15 SGD, but during happy hour (everyday from ~4pm-8pm, depends on the place) you can get drinks for half price or two for one.

If you want to drink and are running low on funds just go to Sentosa or something (if you take the MRT you will need an additional $4 for some monorail thing) then stop at a 7-11 and buy some Tigers there, then drink on the beach.

Singapore honestly just gets really expensive if you shop, drink excessively, and eat at restaurants, but there's ways you can avoid that. If you do shit like MacRitchie and Pulau Ubin like two of us recommended that's a good way to kill some time, and your only cost is taking the MRT or (cheap) taxi there.
>>
>>1148159
I won't go to restaurants or clubbing(maybe to craft beer pub if they sell good lager or wheat beer). Hawkers are definitely the places I will eat.
I want to see Gardens at Bay and the Cloud Forest plus Supertrees which cost a ticket but it shouldn't be much.

I don't get why people say Singapore is boring, I think it is interesting techno-city and organizational model. Not everything needs to be chaotic and wild.
>>
>>1148161
Yeah I loved the city, and am looking to move back in a few years because it.

When you go to Gardens by the Bay try checking it out at night as well. I'm sure at least one of the nights you'll be around MBS, which puts on a light show a few times a night that's kind of cool to see, so the gardens won't be too far out of your way and you don't have to spend as much time there at night.

Also, if you're in the Farrer Park MRT area, which is a stop past Little India, stop by the Old Hen Coffee Bar to grab a cold brew coffee. I'm not sure why, but it was one of my favourite drinks in the city and spent a lot of time there handing out with friends/studying.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.