[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 27

File: 4701_01.jpg (140KB, 650x360px) Image search: [Google]
4701_01.jpg
140KB, 650x360px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Rail Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1142616
>>
First for JR rail pass
>>
If you had a choice between Kyoto, Osaka or Kobe to go to on 18-23 August which would you pick
>>
>>1147240
If you are American: Williamsburg or Busch gardens? Hope that helps you score where you spend your time you. You can stay in one place and visit the other they are close
>>
Spent just 1 week in Tokyo last month, I impressed myself with how much I managed to see. I think I'd have been much lazier if I gave myself 2 weeks.
>>
>>1147240
Literally all of those places are doable as a day trip if you wake up early and just catch the train, so it honestly doesn't matter that much
I'd stay in Osaka
>>
I want to go to Japan for a month, and I've invited me best friend to come along, but he only wants to stay for a week. I don't think I'd be prepared to spend hundreds of dollars on plane tickets and then hundreds more just to stay there for a week.

Would two weeks still feel like it's not enough time?

Also, should I try to learn some very basic Japanese? At least to help me with greetings, and asking very basic questions and shit. All I know is konnichiwa, and arigato.
>>
>>1147344
Let him stay a week the continue on without him. I'd think 1 week is too little, 2 weeks is a good amount of time though. You only just start getting used to the country at the 2 week mark. Not enough time to learn the nuances of the culture but also not enough time for the novelty to wear off.
>>
>>1147345
Thanks. How fucked would I be if I get lost or something though? I've got no one I know with me, and I don't understand, speak, or read Japanese.

At least if he's with me we can be lost together.
>>
Just to know before I talk shit, is this the correct thread for asking advice on chosing Japanese Universities to attend?
>>
I may go to Nip-Land in a year or two and I plan to spend a week in three different settings. One in Tokyo, one in Osaka, and another in Hokkaido. It's going to be expensive, but I feel that that's going to be the FULL experience of Japan. Are my destinations worth it?
>>
>>1147346
Although the English level is pretty low across the board, it's not like you're going to Darfur or something. There are signs in English and people will be able to help you out. Don't be a pussy and just do it.
>>
>>1147346
Bring your phone with google translate to communicate and take note of what station your hotel is closest to. Stick to simple phrases like "where is _____station" No matter where you are in Tokyo if you can give the subway dudes that info they'll be able to tell you how to get home. (or at least what stop you need to go to next)

Of course try to remember how you got there, do things like mark main stations that connect to yours etc, but yknow.

Also, in response to your first question, yeah learn some basic phrases. Not necessary for a 2 week vacation in Tokyo but hearing you butcher Japanese will help people feel less nervous about butchering English around you.
>>
>>1147357
As an aside, I went to Tokyo last year and never got any help when I was trying to find routes on the local lines. I always had to go ask when I was stumped. I went again last month, though, and if I stood in front of a map for more than a minute an attendant was bound to come up and offer to help me (usually with decent English.) Probably them getting more prepared for the Olympics.
>>
>>1147346
Take a picture of the kanji of the place you want to go and where you want to go back to and people can help you from there. Japanese very friendly.
>>
Hiking in Japan in October, good/bad idea?
>>
I recieved an opportunity to do research/PhD in Japan. I'm an Oceanographer, one of my options is the Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, in Tokyo. Does anyone knows how good this university is? There are some bigger ones I can go including Todai and Hokkaido University, but this one seems to be very focused in my area of study. Also how well can I live in Tokyo with 146000 ien per month?
>>
>>1147410
is that part of todai? if so then it's well known and respected.

if not, you might be up the creek without a paddle. hard to say. japan doesn't get a lot of reputational status for its universities internationally, and they don't seem to be making a push to change this. they also don't tend to be big on hiring researchers aside from what can be plausibly exploited by proprietary tech. I'm not saying western unis are better. they're not, necessarily. but they have a higher reputation, which, let's be real with you if your grad advisor isn't, that's all that matters.

either way, you'd think a grad student would be smart enough to find a better place to ask than 4chan.

those wages are poverty, but you could do a lot worse than to live in poverty in tokyo, in the grand scheme. budget around 70000-80000 for shared accomodation with a private bedroom. if you rent traditionally, which will require fluent japanese, you can push the price down a bit, but will have to pay 2-3 mnths rent up front, most of it unrecoverable. it makes sense if you know you'll be there for 2-3+ years. budget 700-800 a day for transport within metro tokyo. you could probably find exact fares on hyperdia if you have a good idea of where you're staying. train fares daily might make it cheaper to actually live closer to the city center rather than a suburb. plan accordingly.

food is cheap unless you demand to eat out daily with large portions, which you might, being a busy grad student.

you can go out once a week on that budget, but will live check to check. dunno how you're gonna pay for new clothes or dates.

I normally give poor advice intentionally, but I tend to like grad students. I'll be around if you have any other q's.
>>
>>1147415
>I normally give poor advice intentionally
W-why would you do that
>>
>>1147391
Hmm, didn't experience any attendants when I went in early July, but that wasn't Tokyo.

What I've experienced is that people ignore you just fine unless you ask, but if you do they'll help the fuck out of you, even just random folks off the street.
>>
>>1147439
I see people on /trv/ more than any other board make excuses for murderers, drug dealers, rapists (not sexpats, actual, violent rapists) and terrorists.

I got banned once for racism for insulting a foreign gentleman who said white people who visit X country deserve to be beheaded.

fuck those people if I get a whiff of that
>>
>>1147410

I think you should be asking around the oceanographic community (i.e., those places you plan to do work after you receive your degree) as to which is the most highly regarded option. Asking this kind of question on 4chin is rather silly.

With that said, Todai is generally regarded as one of the top 2 universities in Japan. What its reputation is for oceanography I have no idea. Hokkaido University is a very good school, but it's a tier below Todai. Its graduate programs are quite good, but again I have no idea what its oceanography reputation is like. Once more, this is a question you have to ask people knowledgeable in the field.

As for Y146,000/month, wow. You'll be able to survive on this in Tokyo, but barely, especially if you like eating decent food and not frozen/conbini/cheap chain restaurant crap. That money will go farther in Sapporo; rents are much cheaper there and it's easy to get a place close to campus, so you won't have to pay subway fares every day.
>>
>>1147353
>>1147357
>>1147392
Thanks for the help.
>>
So I'm landing in Haneda at around 12:30 in the morning. I read that trains stopped running at around at time.

Are there any internet or manga cafes near the airport?
>>
I got 14 days in Japan. So far I know I'm going for sure to Tokyo (briefly as I land near there), Kyoto, and Nara.

I'm not sure if I should go to more places or just stay at these longer. I'm pretty much only in Japan for playing tourist at Buddhist temples. What do you guys think?
>>
>>1147493
Or you know take a bus
>>
>>1147506
Go koyasan
>>
>>1147460
TUMSAT/Kaiyodai is not associated with Todai.

I'd ask your advisors if they've heard anything about the program there, or maybe mail either some of the faculty directly, or people who've published in your field that indicate that they have some affiliation with the place.
>>
>>1147350
Spend 2 days in kyoto. Its the old capital before they moved it to tokyo
>>
>>1147460
>>1147415

Thanks for your insight. I really don't see problem seeking 4chan for advice, as long as I take everything with a grain of salt. I did research these questions in other places but online comunities seem to be polarized into either sugarcoating every problem or just hating everything. I guess I appreciate the sincerity of 4chan.

The budget seems to be a bit strict, but the university will get me accomodation for the first year (guaranteed) and for the rest of my stay when applying to a certain program. I couldn't care less about dating, but I wonder how much money should I save to go out with coworkers. As I understand going out with your collegues is the main way of forming bonds and declining invitations frequently is something frowned upon. Is my vision on the subject a bit skewed? How many times a month people normally go out in this situation?
>>
>>1147523
Ive just started working here for two weeks and I've been invited to outings twice. Weekends and vacation time will probably mean regular hangouts
>>
So, how do I book a bus in aomori to lake towada outside of Japan?

Booking in person only leaves a day in between travel, which runs the risk of having the bus(es) being fully booked.
>>
>>1147493
I just slept on the benches there
>>
I'll be in the Kansai and Kyushuu region from September to December and have two questions:

1) I guess this won't be a problem, but how cold does it really feel in Osaka during winter? I read that the lowest temperature is usually about 10 degree and I'm from Germany, so I'm not sure whether to pack a winter jacket.

2) Does anyone know any Zen monasteries in those regions to stay in and mediatate for shorter periods of time?
>>
>>1147523
consider that both the doomsayers and sugarcoaters have valid points, but are probably not very good at explaining the evidence behind their positions (you're in grad school you should be used to this.)

the people who think it's easy to get a job in japan with a research degree probably had connections. most business networks and hiring happens through connections and alumni systems. if you have that, yes, it's very easy. they may neglect to mention WHY it's easy, however, and the conditions associated with it.

ditto for the naysayers.

I find that often enough both sides can be saying something true simply because of how vague or muddled their inadequate verbal skills are. people are better at insulting each other and saying their feeling than expressing facts.

>going out
it can add up fast. some companies have a separate expense accounts for these outings and negotiate deals with regular places, or buy package stuff for expensive venues years in advance. participation is sometimes mandatory because the costs have already been accounted for. some places give you your own extra expense bonus and let you handle it. some places just drain your money and it takes the wife complaining to the guy's boss to ease up (there has also been pressure from the gov.)

some places don't care. I'd say it's kind of like any work situation in the west, but there's more of an expectation to attend. you might be shoved into the back office in america if you declined too many work parties as well.

play it by ear. ask your coworkers for advice. people will forgive faux pas for a foreigner. working your way to the top requires social fluency though.
>>
Is half day enough for nagoya? I'm thinking of stopping there while going from tokyo to kyoto.
>>
File: 20160806_212914.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160806_212914.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Can someone help me translate this? I'm trying to join my local arcade scene. Hopefully to make friends and practice Japanese.
>>
i just started hitchhiking in japan and holyshit is it really this easy lmao
>>
Does anyone have experience with the Hello Work office? I'll be in Osaka in a working holiday visa and I'm open to any kind of job, so I thought I'd try it.
>>
>>1147350
Obviously Tokyo is worth it. While there, consider getting a JR pass and making day trips to nearby(ish) tourist locations (Nikko, Kamakura, etc., and obviously Kyoto - might be worth even staying a night).

I personally would try and squeeze in Okinawa, spent a week there in early June and holy moly was it relaxing and chilled out.
>>
>>1147346
OK, so what you need to do is bring your smartphone obviously, and get a pocket wifi. Even if you don't have pocket wifi, there's so many 7/11 stores which provide free wifi, that you'll have internet fairly regularly.

Every time you head out, use map apps' feature to place a pin marker of where you live and where you want to go. I mean this is fucking common sense.

Alternatively, memorise the name of the nearest metro station (since it's very extensive in Tokyo) to where you're staying / want to go. If you just ask someone "Sumimasen, *met station name*??" they'll probably point you in the right direction.
>>
would a visit to a soapland be worth it, or is it just asking for trouble.
>>
>>1147493
My best memories of Japan are actually sleeping on the benches in Haneda during a layover and hearing the escalators all night long. It was peaceful and calming, in a funny sort of way. My backpack and laptop bag were never tampered with, and security was always hanging around. You'll likely be more uncomfortable in a mango cafe.

Hopefully you are staying in a single room, though, because nothing sucks more than dropping your bags to sleep in a dorm room at 7a in the morning after getting five hours of sleep and then having everyone else in the room moving around, talking, packing stuff up, etc.
>>
>>1147728
>would a visit to a soapland be worth it, or is it just asking for trouble.

Check rockit in the sticky to find a gaijin-friendly soapland. Brush up on conversational Japanese, be polite, and dress respectably. Be clean.

I found pinsaros to be easier to get into, but YMMV. (I'm ugly as sin.)
>>
How many cities should I go to in a 14 day or so trip to Japan.
>>
How well could you live in Japan with $2000 usd/month? All expenses.
I'd be working from home so I'd only go out to see places, maybe get drunk or eat something nice.

Also, gyms are good? I would like to lift daily and stay /fit/ since I'd be sitting on my ass most of the day.

Just a personal curiosity, I've been finding myself tired of my current lifestyle and maybe going somewhere else to live would be nice, however I don't know how much my standard of living would go down since $2000 usd here is a lot of money and enables a very good living.

Thanks.
>>
>>1147838
Japan is big. Where exactly?
>>
>>1147843
>Japan is big. Where exactly?
Where would you recommend?
I thought the same after I posted, it's like I asked I wanna live in the US. Too vague of a question.

I guess I would like to live in a major city, somewhere safe with access to technology and since I work in IT and I enjoy that kind of stuff. Good places to see is a bonus and nice food as well. I'd wager any major city would be a step up from the shithole where I currently live.

Sorry if it's too vague or non-specific, would like to hear any experiences or recommendations.
>>
Looking to do a 2 week solo trip to Japan in October.

Current plans are to hit up Tokyo, Kyoto, Nikko Hiroshima, Himeji and maybe Hokkaido.

Is October an alright time to do some hiking? Was hoping to hike in Daisetsuzan, and maybe Oze.
>>
>>1147724
Thanks for the help. I was actually wondering as to how the internet situation would play out, and whether I'd need to buy an extra SIM cad there or not.

I don't think vodafone AU offers cellular data in Japan.
>>
>>1147838

>working from home

You can't. You need a visa to live in Japan and working from home isn't one of the viable categories. Unless you get a Japanese wife you're SOL.

Sorry bro...
>>
>>1147868
>>>1147838
>>working from home
>Unless you get a Japanese wife you're SOL.

Not OP, but how hard would it technically be to get a Japanese waifu? Are there 4/10s in more rural areas that would be willing to marry a gaijin?
>>
>>1147869

I literally googled "Japanese mail order brides" and the first website only had 3 women, all ages 40+.

So not so good if you want children, not so bad otherwise. They were cute imo.
>>
What are some nice Airbnbs in Tokyo?
>>
>>1147565
1) It's the wind there that makes it cooler there, so you should pack a few layers. There were couple times in Osaka where I regretted not having another shirt underneath.
>>
Are airbnbs a good choice? Some seem dirt cheap and the more expensive still pale in the light of other alternatives.

Really wanna go and preferably with my friends, one of whom actually seems keen on it. I could probably spare expenses for 1-2 weeks, but the one wants to go for a month or so. Starting to think they just dont want to go. You can find a group of people to go with right?
>>
>>1147868
Not quite true. Depending on what country you have passports from, you can stay in Japan for up to six months before having to leave. For the most part, if you leave the country (e.g. fly to Seoul for a day or three) before your tourist visa expires, the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere will usually not care too much; you can often get away with this for a year or three before they'd start to get antsy. (If you have ironclad proof that you're employed in your home country, this can help.)

The more difficult way is to find out if your employing company has a branch office in Japan; if so, you may be able to convince them to get you an Intra-Company Transferee visa, which is easier to get than a generic visa. It does have significant downsides, in that you'll have to pay Japanese taxes, and pay into the retirement system, and have proof of healthcare insurance.
>>
American going to Osaka and maybe Kyoto next week for 6 days. I have no clue what do do or expect. I downloaded a translator app but thats it. Landing in Kansai that's all I know.

Tips?
>>
What hotels would you guys recommend that are in Tokyo, and are affordable? Looking for something that's like $150/per night at most.
>>
>>1147903
you aren't allowed to do the visa shuffle in japan. around the third or fourth time they'll throw you into an unheated holding cell for a week or two before slapping you with criminal charges and/or deporting you for 10 years.

don't do it
>>
>>1147912
I respect your consistency my friend
>>
Day trip from Tokyo and Kyoto ideas?
>>
This might sound stupid, but when I get to Japan, should I convert all of my money into Yen in one go?

It'll end up being ~800,000 Yen
>>
>>1147924
Tokyo: Kamkura, Mt. Takao, Kawagoe, Yokohama

Kyoto: Osaka, Nara, Kobe
>>
>>1147928
>800,000
Why the fuck do you need $10,000? Are you staying for a year?

I never convert money and never will, it's cheaper to pull the money out at ATM's with no bullshit fees any country I've ever visited. No transaction to another currency fee etc.
>>
>>1147928
Monitor XE
>>
>>1147885
If you have autism, look for the wooden private rooms in Tsukiji. They're alright and very close to the metro, but you won't meet any people there and get lonely (just like I am right now).
>>
>>1147999
You can use american debit cards to get money from atms in japan?
>>
>>1148019
Some of them. The ones at the post offices work. Or at least, they did in 2007, when I visited. I've also read that the ones at 7-11s do.
>>
>>1147999
Not him but my bank charges extra for all overseas withdrawal so I usually just exchange the money. Plus, it also depends on the fx and the current trend.
>>
Is there a chargeable card in Osaka like the Suica in Tokyo and what is it called? Can it be used for all kinds of transport?
>>
>>1148042
Yes, suica.
>>
File: b-553289.jpg (15KB, 230x281px) Image search: [Google]
b-553289.jpg
15KB, 230x281px
A girl who's family I stayed with when I was an exchange student in HS to Japan messaged me on Facebook asking if we could meet for drinks if I ever came over. I hadn't told many people of my plans, so I don't know how she would have found out. Is this a good sign, or a bad one? I'm hoping she could introduce me to friends of hers that I could either date or find contacts for employment.
>>
>>1148045
this is a terribly sign, an omen of great peril for you and your kin.
>>
I have a question regarding Tokyo rooftop bars. There seem to be so many.

Which ones offer the best (alcohol) value + good view? I know you get drunk beforehand, but still 30€ for one cocktail is a bit much
>>
>>1148045
Why would you not date the girl that messaged you?
>>
>>1148051
Go to a beer garden with all you can drink. I can't think of any in Tokyo off the top of my head but I know most of the department stores at Funabashi station have them
>>
>>1148062
thanks ill definitely check out a beer garden

but i was asking about the best rooftop bars(with best price/view value)
>>
also, if lets say you are out partying til 3am but the subway doesnt go until 5am(is that on weekends as well?), how do you get home? are there night buses? taxis seem incredibly expensive
>>
and what is the best way to get around?

Suica prepaid card or 72h ticket for 13€? the latter one seems better value to me, am i wrong?
>>
>>1148078
depends on how often you take the train

Also isn't the ticket just for the subway?
>>
>>1148080
i think so but are there even many buses / is it necessary to take buses?
>>
>>1148068
The only way to get home is to walk or take a taxi. Usually you don't go home. Other options off the top of my head:
Party until 5
Reserve a stall in a nearby mango cafe for like 10 hours right before you go to the venue
Finesse your way into a girls apartment/get cool with a dude that's there & lives nearby.
"Pass out" at the venue on like a couch or something

There's probably tons more but that's generally what I did. I missed so many good shows because I thought it'd be harder, but finding a place to crash for like 2 or 3 hours (if at all) in Tokyo really isn't as bad as it sounds. Just go for it.
>>
>>1148087
How should we know where do you want to go?
>>
Where to get prostitutes in Osaka?
>>
I finally did it /trv/, going to leave the country for the first time and spend a month in (Adachi) Tokyo next summer. So far I've spent 1500 combined on the flight and hotel, is 2000 dollars a good budget for a month?
>>
File: Japano.png (25KB, 921x735px) Image search: [Google]
Japano.png
25KB, 921x735px
Damn, now that I have my plans somewhat down, 21 days (longest rail pass) isn't very long.
I plan on activating it on the 11th when I leave Tokyo which will make it expire on the 1st of October. I'm probably going to head up to Hokkaido for the last week of my rail pass, after Nachi falls.
There's still so much I want to see in the south though.
I'm leaving Japan on October 8th so I'll have my last week in Tokyo.

Does this sound like a good itinerary?
pic related.

Should I just stay in Osaka and do a few day trips to Kyoto or vise versa?
>>
>>1148299
I recommend skipping osaka unless you're fluent in japanese, which you're obviously not. maybe make a day trip out of it between hiroshima and kyoto, and stop at a nice restauraunt (the food is very good, find a place beforehand.) it's decent for day trips, but your itinerary is fairly long, and since you get a handful of days for any given city, it doesn't really matter that osaka is in the middle, as a direct trip from hiroshima to kyoto might take at most 30 minutes longer. also osaka is just fucking ugly. there's a lot to do there, but not much of the sort you're liable to be able to do in the span of 3 days. imagine gigantic farmers markets, and more traditional bar/nightlife streets.
kyoto is worth an extra day for either temples or convenient hikes. tokyo is also worth a month on its own if you plan your itinerary well.
>>
>>1148299
what program are you using to plan that?
>>
>>1148320
Its the windows 10 calendar app.
It also syncs with your phone and emails. Its my first time using it and I like it.

>>1148318
>unless you're fluent in japanese, which you're obviously not
Thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot.
Thanks for the info though. I wasn't really sure what I wanted to see in Osaka. I'll probably make it a day trip.

I'm currently reading about a place called Yunotsu. It's on the other side of the mountains from Hiroshima. It looks nice but far out of the way. Seems like a day trip kind of place.
Anyone here been there? Is there somewhere similar that's not so far out of the way?
>>
>>1147999
10k can last year? How?

The 10k is mainly for any apartments we go to in case we don't pre-book, and I'm paying all the expenses for both my girlfriend and I.

We're also probably going to do a lot of shopping. As for how long we're staying there, it's like a month at most.
>>
>>1148335
>apartment
you must mean hotel, yes?

hotels will run up quite a bill but 10k usd is quite a lot even so

suit yourself though
>>
>>1148337
Yeah, my bad. I meant hotel.

Would 5k not be enough between two people? I don't want to have to take more than I need to, but I'm not too sure how much I should take.

If not 10k, then probably somewhere between that and 5k.
>>
>>1148338
depends on the will of your mast- I mean girlfriend.

if 10k seems like a reasonable amount to spend she must have you really train- I mean, you must be really in love with her
>>
>>1148341
Haha. I guess I just thought we'd need like 10k, and it's not like we can't afford to spend that amount of money in one go.
>>
Was planning to go from Tokyo to Hiroshima by one of those overnight busses. But I totally forgot about booking one and now they're all sold out. Best alternative cheap way to get there? I haven't booked a stay for that night as I wanted to save money so any suggestion to solve that too would be great.
>>
Is it true thats its easy to get an english teaching job in Japan if you have any bachelor degree from any accredited university?
>>
Are erotic massages legal in Japan? I am going to Kyoto and Osaka soon and I was interested but obviously can't speak Japanese.
>>
>>1148345
there are several services. there's one run by the train companies but there are a few run by smaller services that tend to have stations outside the main station itself. some of them are more comfortable.

you can also try last minute LCCs such as peach or 6 dozen others.
>>
Does anyone have any experience of staying in the temple lodgings at Kyoasan?

How long does it take to get there and where is the best place to start the journey from on the day(I will have a JR pass)?

which is the best temple to stay at?

Thanks
>>
>>1148365
>How long does it take to get there and where is the best place to start the journey from on the day(I will have a JR pass)?

Koyasan is 2 or 3 hours from Osaka. I went there a few years ago but didn't stay the night so can't help you with temple advice, sorry. When I went I couldn't use the JR Pass -- the rail line to Koyasan was operated by a different company. I presume this is still the case, so you may want to check into it.
>>
Planning a second trip, is there any way at all to book a flight lower than 600ish euros from europe?
>>
Is Takaosan worth a visit?
>>
>>1148154
depends on what sorts you want to get.
>>
>>1148385
I paid under 400 euros from Europe, just book the flights a couple of months in advance.
>>
File: totoro.gif (9KB, 402x285px) Image search: [Google]
totoro.gif
9KB, 402x285px
Is it possible to buy tickets for the ghibli museum once you're in Japan? How far in advance do you need to buy them?
I'll be there in october spending 3 days in Tokyo at the beginning and 3 at the end across a trip of 16 days so would I be able to buy the tickets at the start of the holiday and then visit the museum at the end?
>>
>>1148399

The tickets usually sell out 6+ months in advance so you're probably fucked.
>>
>>1148421
Even in Japan? I'd heard there was a supermarket chain which had ticket machines that you could get the from closer to the day?
>>
>>1148318
Why would he need fluency in Osaka?
>>
>>1148425
Lawson's Loppi service sells tickets up to three months in advance. Right now they're mostly sold out, as the museum was closed for a few months. There's the Ghibli Expo at Roppongi Hills until September, however.
>>
>>1148399
The museum is not worth visiting. It is overhyped.
>>
Is it risky to use AirBNB in Japan?
>>
>>1148455
Why the fuck would it be? I used it all the time before moving here.
>>
What are some bad things in Japan that you weren't expecting? Stuff like people don't really eat out in public on the streets, so don't expect a ton of trash cans around, etc.
>>
>>1148460
Too many gaijin. I did not move to Tokyo to look at amerifats all day long.
>>
>>1148458
I read somewhere that the government where cracking down on it
>>
>>1148475
Tokyo's pretty big. Which area specifically? This doesn't really bother me, since I expect to see gaijin in more popular spots like Akihabara.
>>
>>1148480
Chiyoda mainly where I spend most of my day.
>>
>>1148460
The availability of free wifi was not as abundant as I'd hoped, although this is most likely due to my inability to read moonrunes. If you are a non-japanese speaking asian then be prepared for perpetual embarrassment as you will look like a retarded person with no social ability to the locals when trying something different (e.g. onsen or figuring out the many recycling bins while a janitor watches you). If you are asian with atypical hair color (anything other than black/brown) then people, especially elders, tend to give you a wide berth when riding public transport.

These aren't necessarily "bad", just things that I suppose disappointed me when I was in Japan. The good encounters far outweigh the bad ones.
>grannies at bus stops that love to chat despite you telling them you don't know Japanese and they don't know English
>grandpas out for their morning walk around temples/shrines that see your camera and point out the best views in the area and what paths to take to get there
>train station employee walking you to the correct platform and waiting with you for the right train to arrive
>young adults telling you that your hair is cool and upon learning you're a foreigner, take you to purikura and a themed cafe
>>
>>1148460
Most of the white guys were taller than me, and I'm 6'1, felt like a manlet.
>>
>>1148348
if it's from an English speaking country, yes. Probably easier in other countries (e.g. China, Thailand etc.) but it's still doable
>>1148349
yes
>>1148385
sure. I paid like 550€ last year with Emirates
>>1148387
yes
>>1148455
probably not
>>1148460
trains stop running pretty early. Also many people cycling on the pedestrian way (which is illegal where I'm from). Also fucking ACs everywhere
>>
>>1148485
Thanks for your lengthy response, I always planned to get a Pocket WiFi that has unlimited service
Is your green text bad or good? If good, those are pretty interested, especially the last. I'm Asian with natural color hair though, so I don't think most of that will happen to me unfortunately
>>
Anyone spend 1-6 months in Japan? What do you do about health insurance? I am leaving my shitty job and plan to take a 3 month vacation in Japan, however I'm not sure what to do about health insurance. I do not want to pay for it since I won't be here so it wouldn't even do me any good, but I also don't want to get penalized to hell and back when I do my taxes.
>>
>>1148460
The key thing for me was that your diet will be high carb and pretty low protein, so your gains are very hard to maintain in Japan. This matters only for those who hoist, of course.
>>
>>1148488
>fucking ACs everywhere
This is a bad thing how? You try surviving August in a suit without AC. Ok, now it's a bit better with Cool Biz but it's still pretty fucking unbearable.
>>
>>1148498
I get ill from them easily and I really hated the temperature difference between outside and inside. I turned the one in my room off after the first day. Got used to those 30°+ nights in August after a few days
>>
>>1148489
Yeah, I had T-mobile at the time which let me use data. Wifi just would've been nice as it's faster. The greentext is all good. Admittedly the last one only happened once but what was originally going to be a blase evening turned into a really fun and memorable night. Unnatural hair color was more of a hindrance than a boon imo, but then again I don't really like to draw attention to myself and the hair really made me stick out.

>>1148500
I'm in the same boat as you - the constant temperature difference really throws me off and I get nauseous when I'm constantly going in and out of it. I guess the nice thing about Japan though is the temperature setting for their A/C is not as cold as where I live so that softens the blow. Somewhat related, their refrigeration temperature is also not as cold as where I live, so cold drinks from the vending machine or 7-11 don't feel as refreshing for me.
>>
>>1147670
tried it once after I heard it was safe, would recommend. I always had an easy time with the trains so i only did it once for the novelty
>>
>>1148500
>>1148517

weak bloodlines. people like you should have died off years ago.
>>
>>1147235
MY gf is going to Yokohama for 4 months on a study abroad program. Anyone got insight into the life in Yokohama? Also, any cool ideas for going present? I'm already down on the sentimental stuff, not I just need to prepare a "Japan Survival Kit" with funny, practical, and random things for her.
>>
>>1148524
get her condoms, she'll need them ;)
>>
>>1148529
That is actually already on my list (we have an open relationship).
>>
File: 1448226379823.jpg (253KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1448226379823.jpg
253KB, 2048x1365px
Thinking of going next year. i know Japan is very safe compared to the west but are there still areas to avoid, expeiclaly at night? I want to do some serious photography so will be taking expensive pro equipment. I mean I will exercise normal caution and all and not just think "oh, it's Japan, I'll be fine!"
>>
Anyone know if airlines give a shit when your bag is over by less than a kg?
>>
File: rick-steves-passport.jpg (20KB, 225x243px) Image search: [Google]
rick-steves-passport.jpg
20KB, 225x243px
>>1148548
>>1148559
you'll be fine
>>
>>1148548
Avoid Roppongi
Should be safe everywhere else
>>
>>1148559
only had a problem with peach once (LCC), where I had to put on a jacket from my hand luggage to get it below the 14kg or so from them. Other than that, it was mostly fine
>>
File: image.jpg (12KB, 181x220px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12KB, 181x220px
>>1148544
>open relationship
We're not here to meme anon
>>
>>1148639
kek
>>
>>1148437
>overhyped

This. It doesn't completely suck, but it's enormously crowded and seems to exist only to sell overpriced shit in the museum gift shops.

>>1148491
>What do you do about health insurance?

You keep your current health insurance, of course. You can't get health insurance in Japan unless you're a resident.
>>
>>1148660
I'm losing my insurance once I leave my job. This is the first time I encountered this situation since the last time I traveled without insurance, it wasn't mandatory. I did some research and I can either pay $300/month for coverage or I can eat the $695 penalty fee for not having insurance I can't even use for those 3 months. Thanks, Obamacare.

>You can't get health insurance in Japan unless you're a resident.
I think you can get Japan's health insurance before techinically getting your ARC if you come in under a student visa.
>>
File: qqqq.png (180KB, 955x681px) Image search: [Google]
qqqq.png
180KB, 955x681px
Planning a big trip ending in Japan... say I buy a bunch of games and stuff there, used or whatnot. What's the most sensible option for shipping it all back to NCR, Ontario? Some have suggested buying luggage to check, some suggest mailing (albeit I'm adverse to that...)

Additionally, anything major that happens around end of June/early July?
>>
>>1148683

As I said, you have to be a resident to get national health insurance in Japan. Being a student in Japan implies residency. You won't be able to get a student visa unless you enroll with a recognized school, which will cost $. Get traveler's insurance (if this will qualify under ObamaCare), otherwise pay the $300/month -- better safe than sorry.
>>
Hello friends. I'm going to Japan for 2 weeks at the end of the month with 7 people total, all friends. We'll be in Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, and Osaka in that order. I'm reading through all the sites now but I just wanted to see if you guys had any tips for first time travelers and the like. We'll mostly be going to akiba & roppongi while in Tokyo & don't have any real plans premade, just going to play it by ear and explore.
>>
anyone been to an S&M bar or know whats up with S&M circles?
>>
>>1148704
So...You're "reading through" yet asking the most generic question imaginable which could probably be answered just by reading this thread?
Just wanted to see if you guys had any tips for that
>>
>>1148706
I used to frequent one of the sex clubs in Japan. They would have fliers for S&M shows, events, and classes. I wasn't too interested in that kind of stuff but it didn't seem like it was all that big. The bar I used to go to had alot of the equipment you'd need for a lot of it but it was rarely used.
>>
If I were to buy some cigarettes from a convenience store, how likely is it that they'll ask for ID?

Can Japs easily tell an 18 year old from a 20 year old?

And also, are the beer vending machines still common?
>>
Are there cellphone prepaid cards or short contracts for about 4 months?

I have a Singaporean Samsung Galaxy and I'd just use it for the occasional whatsapp check and newspaper reading. Maybe also for Google Maps. Do you think I'll be fine with wireless internet or should I get a prepaid card or even a contract? I'll be in Japan until Christmas and maybe I'll go back after Christmas and stay until March or so.
>>
I am going into Osaka international airport.

How do I get to namba station?
>>
>>1148389
Good ones? Like $100-200 that service gaijin
>>
Where can I find someone to hook me up with some weed in Tokyo?
>>
Is there a tour or something that allows you to visit/see various temples? That's always been something of an interest to me to see various Shinto Shrines/Buddhist temples.

Other then that, would I be alright being a black dude traveling solo? I get the feeling I might get stink eyes being mistaken as one of the service members stationed in Japan (Former Navy).

That said, what would I do if they fuck up and rape/kill a local and get themselves on lock down again while out and about?
>>
>>1148751
Unlikely.

No, but that doesn't mean they'll assume you're 20 either.

Yes, but you need the applicable ID (which you won't be able to get).

>>1148755
Unless you're only planning on getting a good blowjob, you aren't gonna find anything for less than $200

>>1148757
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penal_system_of_Japan#Tokyo_Correctional_Precinct

Take your pick.

>>1148763
Dunno.

ime if you're well built and black people assume you're sporty before they assume you're a service dude. If it really bothers you just dress extra touristy.

Just stay out of the way I guess? idk what your past experiences were but this probably isn't as big of a deal as you think.
>>
tips for Hakone?
>>
>>1148318
I disagree, I thought Osaka was amazing. Got by just fine with shit all Japanese and it was beautiful in the spring. Dare I say I enjoyed it more than Tokyo. Planning another trip soon focusing on Osaka.
>>
>>1148751
They prob won't do ask for it. You may have to "prove" it by pressing a button on a touch screen in front of the cashier, though. Just press the red circled thing and you're good to go, some cashiers even do it for you because foreigners suck at Japanese.
>>
>>1148767
>>1148798
Thanks.

What would I say if they ask for it? Do I just (try to) say 'sorry, I don't have any ID on me' in Japanese to either get out of the situation or possibly for them to not bother with the ID?

I'm assuming same thing goes for alcohol, since I can't buy that from a vending machine either now? How likely would they ask for ID if I order some beer with a meal at a high end restaurant?
>>
>>1148800
They won't ask for it.
>>
>>1148801
Alright, thanks for the help anon.
>>
>>1148800
Yeah, just say something like that. Also, they won't ask at a restaurant and they very likely won't ask in stores. Clubs on the other hand always check your ID. So no chance there.
>>
>>1148807
Clubs are 18 and up and once you're inside they never care if you drink. Literally only had one issue ever with this one asshole club that was notorious for denying foreigners away
>>
>>1148807
Thanks for the help.
>>
I know you are required to carry around your passport, but is that considered valid ID in Japan?
>>
>>1147833
3 or 4
>>
>>1148751
I turned 20 like 2 weeks ago. Just bought some ciggies by my local station Ryogoku, had no issues whatsoever. They did not even ask for ID.
>>
>>1148752
They have vending machines for sim cards. The one i bought from cost me 5k yen for 60 days of 3.2 gb internet and cheap calls home.
>>
>>1148818
Pretty sure a passport is considered valid ID everywhere.
>>
>>1147888
Just make sure to take a look at the reviews of the airbnbs and you should be fine, I've never had a bad experience or stumbled upon false promises. If you happen to go to Kyoto make sure to check out hostel Ginkakuji.
I paid like 20$ a night which included free use of a bike and portable wifi device.
>>
>>1148835
Thanks for the info. I just found out that I'm supposed to have my passport on me at all times as proof of ID or something, and that the police can ask for it at any time. I really hope they don't come up to me while I happen to be drinking alcohol, or if the store/restaurant selling it to me expects it as proof of ID.

>>1148837
Not him, but do you think it'd be better to just buy a new sim card from there, or should I try to get some international-type plan for the duration of a month that I'd be staying there? I'm looking for something with unlimited data to make sure that I've got access to Google Maps and stuff wherever and whenever. I'm with vodafone AU, if that matters.
>>
>>1148019
>>1148038
It used to be only post offices and 7-11 atms but since this year it has started working at most convenience stores, used one at a Lawson and a Family Mart succesfully.
They probably made it easier in preparation for the olympics.
>>
>>1148042
Suica or passmo both work great.
>>
>>1148259
I mean that depends on how much you plan on travelling around tokyo and on visiting paid sights. But it's definitely possible.
>>
>>1148455
Nah it's great in my experience. Just use your common sense and all
>>
>>1148042
All the cards operate with everything across the entire country except in a few inaka spots that have been too cheap to upgrade to the new system.
>>
>>1148486
Sorry bro, the cutoff is 6'2". At least you qualify for King of Manlets.
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 500x467px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 500x467px
I have one probably unrelated question. Originally scheduled wanted to visit Japan due to being a typical weeb Ken-sama. Since then I made 3 trips to Japan, from mt Fuji top to dirtiest Osaka bars to okunoshima, I've seen it all.
The strange part: after the last visit I stopped watching anime at all, only re watch shows like k on for 30th time sporadically, dropped weeb hobbies but for some reason want to return to Japan asap. What the fuck? I've been to like 30 countries and anything like that happened.
Sorry for the rant. Please englighten. And no, I was and am an old fart, it's not about growing up
>>
>>1148771
Open Art Museum, Checkpoint, round trip tour, Gora public park and of course Onsen
>>
>>1148882
> Since then I made 3 trips to Japan, from mt Fuji top to dirtiest Osaka bars to okunoshima, I've seen it all.
>3 trips to Japan
>has seen it all

Tell me, which McDonald's would you recommend in Tokyo?
>>
>>1148892
Man, you cut me with that edges. Total time spent was about 5 months, it's pretty long
>>
Can someone give me advice in English speaking geisha entertainment (not at teahouse, but private location)? Currently staying in Kyoto. Money is not a problem.
>>
>>1148926
>English speaking geisha entertainment (not at teahouse, but private location)

Not a thing
>>
So me and my sister are going to Tokyo in January, any tips for two young people who like to drink? We're open to anythin that invovles food and tasting the local drinks.

We're also gonna be there during sumo season, is it worth checking out? Any other must-see attractions or things around the city?
>>
>>1148837
I read that getting the SIM activated is a pain since you have to call a number from another mobile phone (not a landline). Did you have to do something that or was it just pop it in and good to go?
>>
>>1148947
I thought you were my brother until I realized you wrote Jan...

Me and my brother are flying into Narita next week. I'm 19 and don't have a fake id, am I screwed for bars and clubs?

Also, my brother will be climbing Mt fuji, I'm slightly crippled so I will need to find some activities fun to do alone, as he's planning to do this during our first few days and I don't think that'll be enough time to make a friend or two. I was looking into horseback riding around the base of fuji but the ranches seem impossible to get to via transit. I was thinking of shopping around shibuya of finding an alpaca petting zoo, or something else animal related because my brother is allergic. Any thoughts?
>>
>>1147445
Idk I've had both. My passmo shut out on me (I think because I got on the wrong station and left on the same one which I don't think your allowed to do) and I was struggling to buy a ticket since I can barely read Japanese. So a elderly man came and helped me pick my ticket out with grunts, nods, and pointing on both ends. I was the only one there so he could have just went on the other machine and left.
>>
>>1148852
How much would it cost to climb Mt. Fuji? I want to do that as well as go to some onsens and maybe take daytrips to Kyoto or Osaka.
>>
>>1148984
nothing, it's just a mountain
>>
>>1148987
Thanks for answering my dumb question. I've only ever hiked once and there were fees around every corner.
>>
File: capt32.jpg (29KB, 340x370px) Image search: [Google]
capt32.jpg
29KB, 340x370px
>>1147445
I'll take this moment to thank the very nice lady who helped me and a freind use one of those "order your food at this terminal" things in a restaurant. We did OK with the look at pictures to select your food part, then the screen filled with inscrutable moon language and we were fucked. She talked us through it, unasked and just out of niceness.

Domo arigato, food terminal lady, whoever you are.
>>
>>1147654
Have you asked over at /jp/?

Somebody here will help you if they can, but the traffic may be more over there.
>>
>>1148987
Well, it doesn't cost anything but a 1k donation is generally expected.
>>
>>1148385
wtf I pay like more the 1000 USD round trip. But then again it's around Christmas
>>
>>1148984
Don't listen to them, anon.
First, transportation cost. You want fujinomiya trail so 2500-3300 yen both ways.
Second, food and water, you need plenty, another 3 k.
Third, you want to see the damn sunrise, but for that you need to spend a night in mountain hut, it's 5500 per person. You can skip it by starting the climb really late but without a break you're gonna have a bad time.
Overall, climbing will cost 10-12 k.
>>
>>1147654
Not sure if you asked jp since but here goes. Since I don't know about Guilty Gear terminology it may or may not make sense.

Free-play competition meeting
Every week Thursday 19-21
Entry fee 800 shellfish monnies per head
2R advantage until 5 consecutive victory limit
Maximum 5 machines

Ranking limit applies
Up to 9 dan - 1 (from the 5th)
Up to 14 day 1 (from the 4th)
>>
>>1148477
In America I think. Since owners where kicking people out to change the to airbnb since they made more money.
>>
Any cool/relaxed izakayas in Tokyo? I've heard they're a lot of fun.
>>
>>1149032
None. Literally Zero. In all of Tokyo.
>>
>>1149039

i was hoping for like, specific ones. that y'know. people have been to. and liked. sort of like a reccomendation yeah?
>>
>>1149040
japan is a pound cake. pretty consistent throughout.

go anywhere
>>
Is it okay to ask for the reccomendation whereever I eat? I don't wanna try and navigate the moon runes and I'd honestly rather just let the chef make the choice. I think I'll get a wider variety of food like this too.
>>
>>1149040
Oh shit, in that case hit up the one across the street from the post office. You'll know the one.

Seriously, are you really so inept that you can't take a walk down any given street and decide if the place with the red paper lantern hanging in front is for you or not?

fucking neets I swear.
>>
>>1149050
>red paper lantern

see? in your anger you gave me a pretty good piece of information that i did not know. thank you friend.
>>
>>1148687
When I went I had a extra bag just for figures and game and doujinshi. China air let me have 2 bags free so it was fine for me. I'd say if it's really big, or a lot, mail it. If not carry it with you. Especially if you have a extra free bag check
>>
>>1148754
Google
>>
File: superthumb.jpg (38KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
superthumb.jpg
38KB, 300x250px
>>1148980
Someone hang out with me
>>
>>1149067

a-are you a girl
>>
>>1149049
Can you talk to the chef though?
>>
>>1149092

Or whoever is taking my order, yeah? Just ask for whatever the recommendation is. I imagine there are some places where I have direct contact with the chef as well.

If you mean language wise, I could learn the phrasing and enough to kind of work through the situation.
>>
>>1149102
Yeah, I meant the language. Because, as always, if you go for recommendation, a few questions will follow (e.g. spicy/what kind of meat/rice or noodle, you have it). If you feel ready to tackle that, go ahead. But you can also look for places that have English menu, picture menu or those small plastic samples.

Talking directly to the chef usually happens in higher profile sushi restaurants where the itamae takes your order directly.
>>
>>1149105

What if I just learn to completely ask they put it in their hands, as in, I have no preference towards the meal - just whatever they feel they want to make? Would they get annoyed by having to just think up something on the spot for me?

I didn't consider just asking for an English menu, that probably is an easier option if they have it. I just felt this would be an easy way of completely stepping out of my comfort zone for food - just putting my faith completely in the chef.
>>
>>1149106
Well, you're the customer, you can do whatever the heck you want (to a sensible limit of course). But yes, that's putting a big responsibility on the staff and they may feel a bit insecure or uncomfortable about it. But that's just my speculation you can certainly try to go for it.

There's one thing you should consider though and it is a pitfall for many. If you say a damn word in Japanese outside of the very standard stuff, from that point, you're assumed to be fluent and there's pretty much no going back. So be careful or you may find yourself in a torrent of words you have no clue about.
>>
>>1149087
Yeah. Someone go to maid and cat cafes with me, my kik is Sharks.shark.
>>
>>1149107

Thank you for your advice and your warning, I appreciate it. I think I'll just stick to the basics and ask for English menus and pick at random. Cheers!
>>
Question: why would you get dinner at a convenience store when you can go to a cheap restaurant for 500-800 yen? It's barely more expensive and you get way better and way more filling food.
>>
File: sweet-dee.jpg (82KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
sweet-dee.jpg
82KB, 630x420px
>>1149119
I just really want to eat at a konbini, plus I eat like a bird. Doesn't take much to fill me up.
>>
>>1149119
Because you can't get anything that will fill you up for less than 700 unless you want to eat shitty matsuya all the time. The grocery store precooked meals will always be cheaper and the convenience stores are cheaper too
>>
File: 1000361.jpg (4MB, 4592x3448px) Image search: [Google]
1000361.jpg
4MB, 4592x3448px
>>1149154
Well, I got this yesterday in Akiba for 750 yen. Okay, you can get some cheaper stuff at convencience stores, but a decent (imo) bento costs 500 yen. For those few hundred yen I would rather have something more delicious and I like to support small restaurants.

But okay, especially if you don't eat much, convenience stores are cheaper and allow for a real quick bite. I guess it's just what you prefer.
>>
>>1149182
If you're there for a week or two it really doesn't matter (you probably shouldn't be traveling int hat case), but when you live there constantly dropping 700-1000 yen on lunch adds up. The restaurant meals don't approach grocery store quality until you're atleast dropping 800
>>
>>1148460
this is some uneducated garbage, there used to be trash cans everywhere until a terrorist attack in 1995
>>
Just got to Japan 2 days ago first time, (Narita) went to get a reserved ticket for bullet train to Osaka tomorrow but all reserved seats are taken.

They leave every 30 minutes, has anyone ever gone non-reserved in peak time before and how much of an issue is it?

Cheers,
>>
Non reserved is fine. Did this with a jr pass. No issues whatsoever.
>>
>>1149219
Generally, it should be fine outside of peak periods (golden week, obon, etc).
>>
>>1147235
I am an official JET meme in the inaka now. Its true, 3/4 of the people in this program are autistic, socially inept memes. the other 1/4 are awesome as fuck people. Everyone is pretty intelligent though.
>>
>>1149254
>>1149270

Thanks guys.
>>
Anyone want to go to an izakaya tomorrow evening? I'm in Shinjuku but wouldn't mind going elsewhere.

I'm a 21 year old guy btw
>>
Is that travel spreadsheet still going around? I'll be there a few months come september and wouldn't mind meeting up with you gents.
>>
>>1149282
Nope.
>>
File: 20120125_150641.jpg (930KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20120125_150641.jpg
930KB, 2560x1920px
>>1149182
That stuff is legit just microwaved or boiled in a bag in the few minutes after you order it with the coupon machine. You're paying the extra 250-300 yen purely for someone to heat up a cold meal equivalent from 7/11.

If you're holidaying for a few weeks, I don't know why you're not just dropping a few more hundred yen for some restaurant food. For 1000 yen, I was able to get all you can eat yakitori at a Kyoto restaurant. At 1500, you can get wagyu beef.

I've stayed for 2 months and have 1 more week to go, and food definitely adds up super quick.
>>
Anywhere to pick up a cheap suitcase in Tokyo? I'm heading home soon and want to bring back some gifts.
>>
I'm planning to go to a host family in Osaka (very close to Kyoto) in 2017 but I'm still a rookie about Japan and traveling.

It is possible to live there and visit emblematic cities that relatively close to where I'll be living without buying the JR Pass?

I don't want to visit Tokyo or far way cities so I don't feel like I need to buy the pass. I just don't know how much that would end up being.

TL;DR:
Is it expensive to take a train/bus to cities around Kyoto? I'd really like to go one day from Kyoto to Hiroshima without a Pass but is it too much?
>>
>>1149370
there's a nice store in Ameyoko in Ueno, it's on the left side pretty close when coming from the station
>>1149381
check the link in the OP to calculate train fares between cities
>>
>>1149370
Don Quijote will have suitcases for cheaper than most department stores (like Tokyu Hands). I got a big roller for 90000 yen from the Ikebukuro store. I heard the one in Shinjuku is also a good place to get luggage but haven't personally visited that one.

>>1149381
Train tickets from Kyoto to the immediate nearby cities (like Osaka and Nara) don't cost much. To Hiroshima obviously costs more but I'm fairly certain the JR pass wouldn't be worth it unless you're going back and forth at least 4 times within a 7 day period. Check hyperdia for accurate train prices.
>>
ive been noticing that once in a while during train rides I'll hear a camera shuttering sounds from someone near by; they can't just be taking random pictures of strangers for no reason so it must be some app that makes those sounds- does anyone know what they are doing?
>>
>>1149391
That's 900 bucks. Is that considered cheap? Or did you add 1 more 0 accidentally?
>>
>>1149420

Its probably just the unlock/lock noise from their phone.
>>
>>1149420
You wouldn't believe how many Japanese people I know who take pictures of funny looking gaijin.
>>
>>1149420
>>camera shuttering sounds

By law in Japan, all smart phone cameras must make that noise when taking photos. It's because of the large number of socially retarded Japanese men who like secretly taking upskirt pictures of women.

As far as hearing the noise on the train goes, they're probably taking pictures of themselves, the view outside the train window, the interior of the train, the eki-ben they bought, etc. Japan is the ADD/autist capital of the world; many Japanese cannot go for more than 2 seconds without interacting with their precious smart phones.
>>
>>1147445
In 2014, a friend and i were making our way back to narita and got lost in tokyo station, some random japanese lady approached us and helped the fuck out of us and got us on our way. In my experience, japanese people will leave you alone until you look lost or confused at something and then proceed to help you as best as they can. I have nothing but praise for them as rediculous as that sounds.
>>
>>1149461
Neither can westerners.
>>
>>1149463
True, but the Japanese are worse. On the plus side, the smartphone crowd will be the first to be enslaved or liquidated once the AI War starts, so there's that to look forward to.
>>
>>1149461
and the winner of oversimplification to the point of being a retard of 2016 award goes to....
>>
>>1149467
>and the winner of oversimplification to the point of being a retard of 2016 award goes to....

You.
>>
>>1148341
Believe it or not, some people can afford not to couch surf and live in hostels
>>
>>1149461

>by law

That's actually a myth.
Companies did willingly because the government was considering passing a law, but they never did.
>>
>>1148500
>>1148517
I find that most of the shops and shit that I go into don't have AC or they keep it just low enough to take off the edge a bit. Never been to a cold shop or restaurant here.
>>
>>1148548
>>1148574
Roppongi isn't too bad. Just avoid all blacks and Middle Eastern people while you're there. Seems to be an unending amount of nigerians looking to fuck you over or sell you drugs.
I know plenty of sailors that had a girl ask them for a drink to later find out that each of the drinks they bought cost them 300 dollars a piece. Japanese law enforcement doesn't give a shit either, you have to pay it.
>>
File: 4880917517_bf4ec4d0fc.jpg (174KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
4880917517_bf4ec4d0fc.jpg
174KB, 500x376px
>>1148751
Just buy your tobacco from the fucking vending machines lol.
You can also do the same with beer or chu hais.
I personally recommend the chu hais as well. They are delicious.
>>
File: cul_beer2.jpg (71KB, 433x480px) Image search: [Google]
cul_beer2.jpg
71KB, 433x480px
>>1148751
>>
>>1149508
But anon, I need the card thing if I want to buy from the vending machines, and I'm not old enough to have card thing.
>>
Anyone has suggestions what we should do in the evenings in Tokyo?
>>
>>1149530
And what are the options if you're alone and autistic
>>
>>1149428
Not that guy but it's more like 9k to 15k Yen if you want an extra suit case. They're pretty sturdy as well.
>>
im going to the nippon next year in april, going to tokyo, kyoto, and hiroshima. what are some essential foods and drinks that i should try?
>>
>>1149428
I accidentally another 0. I meant 9,000 yen. What >>1149539 said is correct, they are surprisingly sturdy as well.

>>1149530
>>1149535
Depends on your interests. Arcades are open late (til midnight at least). Parks/shrines take on a whole new look at night and are worth checking out if you're into that. There's also your standard evening-activity fare, e.g. drinking and clubbing.

>>1149547
Try the okonomiyaki in all these cities, each of them has their own style (for Kyoto it would be Osaka's version). Tokyo's is WAY different than the other two by the way. As a tip (because my jap friend laughed his ass off when I did this wrong), the tiny spatula they give you can be directly eaten off of. You smoosh the okonomiyaki with your tiny spatula against the grill and drag a piece away so it sticks, then eat directly from the utensil.

For Hiroshima, their oysters are VERY good. Eat a lot of oysters. Miyajima island has a local specialty that makes a great souvenir called momiji-manju; it's manju shaped like a maple leaf and you can get it freshly made and piping hot. Lots of different filling flavors to choose from.

Kyoto has a famous food souvenir called yatsuhashi - there are 2 versions: yatsuhashi and nama yatsuhashi ("nama" means "fresh"). I didn't try the latter because it spoils faster, but the former tastes like mild gingersnaps and pairs well with tea. If you wander over to Osaka then their takoyaki is allegedly the best.

Tokyo's food souvenir is tokyo banana which is like an expensive, mild, banana-flavored twinkie.

If you like ricecake then eat a lot of ricecake items (e.g. mochi). I've been to a lot of asian countries and I still dream about Japan's soft, delicate ricecakes.
>>
Is it considered rude to have a camera and be pointing at things for an extended period of time?

I'm planning a short-film that I want to shoot in Japan for my portfolio.

Also, does anyone know of any good filming cameras that are also cheap-ish? Like, around $500-600 at most.
>>
>>1149634
No but if you are going to take a picture of someone, straight up ask for permission. If you are looking for something "good" in the 500 600 range that might be tough. Your best valise might be a current gen entry level sale, or a refurbished mid level dale from either the current or previous gen
>>
>>1149646
Thanks for the help.
>>
Has anyone dealt with leftover yen cash before leaving Japan? What did you guys do with it?
>>
>>1149773
Throw it away, it is useless once you leave.
>>
>>1149773
Spend it all at the airport. There are a lot of good gift stores at Narita from tourist shit to high quality crafts, and there's a better-than-decent sushi restaurant.
>>
>>1149773
Spend as much of it as I can before going to the airport, then spend the rest at the airport. If it's a huge amount of cash then you can either exchange it back or save it for the next time you go to Japan.
>>
File: doggo.jpg (44KB, 450x320px) Image search: [Google]
doggo.jpg
44KB, 450x320px
>>1149119
>tfw mcdonalds does double cheeseburger meals for 640 yen
Honestly one of the best options to me, they're goddamn everywhere and are fast as damn. They also let you get nuggets as a side order on a meal. Drink selection is good too.
>>
>>1149522
Use a debit card? Doesn't need to be credit does it?

Honestly just walk into any small, Family Mart, 7/11, Lawsons and you'll be fine. Tap Ok on screen about being 18+.

Anyone in Osaka atm? My birthday today and would be up for something over the weekend.
>>
File: IMG_20160811_184720.jpg (1MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160811_184720.jpg
1MB, 4160x3120px
>>1149349
Nonsense, this meal was prepared in front of me in Shinjuku for 490 yen. Okay, the tonkatsu was pre-made, but whatever. Not very special but better than convenience store shit.
>>
I just went by comiket and holy shit there is a lot of fujoshit. Now I know why there is so much fujo shit airing this season
>>
>>1149820
Is comiket worth if you don't know japanese? I just arrived in Tokyo and i'm not sure about going there
>>
File: 1470861027167.jpg (78KB, 600x404px) Image search: [Google]
1470861027167.jpg
78KB, 600x404px
Hey quick questions.
My dad and I going to be in Nagasaki September 11-14. Its my dads birthday on the 13th. What are some cool things to do or places to check out?
What are some cool bars and restaurants we should check out?
>>
I'll be in Japan for four months and I have a Samsung Galaxy from Singapore. I only use for WhatsApp and reading newspapers.

What's the best deal to use my phone in Japan or should I just stick with wireless internet and not get anything?
>>
>>1149800
>Use a debit card? Doesn't need to be credit does it?

I meant the card that you can apply for when you prove you're 20. It's like a blue card, the name is Tasco or something. If I can use an Australian debit card as the proof of age card on the vending machines then that would be great.

If not, then I guess I'll just have to buy them from the convenience stores.
>>
>>1149870
You can get a>>1149870
You can buy mobile SIMs from multimedia stores (got mine from yodobashi multimedia) which give you 4G. I got a 14 day one from bmobile for roughly 2.1k yen. Gave "unlimited" data but it was really 1gb per 3 days. You can probably get something like that for a longer period of time.
>>
>>1149871
Or just stop smoking
>>
day trip to Hiroshima from Osaka, or spend a couple nights in Hiroshima? is there much more than the park and the museum to warrant it?
>>
>>1149882
I never started.

I just really want to try a Lucky Strike cigarette for some reason, and for ~$4 for a pack of like 10, I might as well buy it. It's not like 1 cigarette is going to kill me or get me addicted.

And besides, I smoke shisha with a group of friends like once a week, and they're supposed to be much worse.
>>
>>1149855
Weboth don't speak jap but he bought a Rem doujin anyway.
>>
Anyone know where to find these so called gaijin hunters?
>>
>>1149884
Slippery slope.
>>1149887
Roppongi. But they are all Japanese versions of Stacies, you shouldn't want to bother with them.
>>
>>1149883
Spend more time in Osaka
>>
File: coco-ichi-curry.jpg (175KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
coco-ichi-curry.jpg
175KB, 640x480px
So if you see this place go to it.

Some hardcore weebs consider it too mainstream for them. Whatever. If you can't at least do a 5 spice then commit sudoku
>>
>>1149890
>Roppongi
Don't go to Roppongi seeking poon. You will be pulled into a Nigerian bar and forced to pay $500 to leave.
>>
>>1149916
Tfw it's to dangerous to fulfil my yellow fever
>>
>>1149915
I fucking love Coco. But I never dare to order level 10. Hotness and spiciness combined with the no nose blowing policy makes it a nightmare.
>>
Where can a black american with no japanese get fs in Osaka? Tobita?
>>
>>1149773
I bought a PS vita and some games. I still have something like 20,000yen ready for when I head over in nov.
>>
>>1149800
Do you speak japanese? I might go back to Osaka tomorrow
>>
>>1149917
If having to tell some fat black dudes on the street "no" is that scary for you, you probably won't be able to pull any girls anyway.
>>
>>1149918
You can visit a toilet (gomen, to-I-re) and blow your nose (or anything else), senpai
>>
>>1149976
Sure but by the time I get back to the desk, it's full again. At least that was the case with lvl8.
>>
File: received_10154089187998855.jpg (109KB, 1080x1704px) Image search: [Google]
received_10154089187998855.jpg
109KB, 1080x1704px
How to Japanese men feel about chubby white girls
>>
>>1149981
Get on a diet, you fat bitch
>>
>>1147235
What's the Japanese's general attitude towards non-white foreigners? (I'm mexican) I was just wondering because i really don't know what to expect in terms of friendliness or just general attitude i guess.
>>
>>1149773
I still have 9000 yen in my wallet from my trip in march, gonna keep it there until i go back in november.
>>
>>1149986
Everyone will hate you just like the rest of the world does.
>>
>>1149986
when they confront you about being brown, just start singing some saint seiya op and they will know you are mexican and not some other brownie
>>
>>1149993
>>1149908
the Shinkansen will take you from city to city. Read the OP - plug details into hyperdia and figure out your ticket costs, then determine if the JR pass saves you money or not.

For local transport (trains within the city, e.g. Tokyo), you can use the JR pass if you take JR trains (Yamanote line being a prime example). When entering and leaving the station, you go to the windowed office at the ends of the turnstiles and show the uniformed employee there your JR pass. They will let you through.

For non-JR trains, you pay the fare before boarding. You can buy individual tickets from the machines but it's much faster/easier to just get an IC card. You put down a small deposit for the card (like 500 yen iirc) and then load up some money onto it, then you can just tap the card in and out of the turnstiles and the fare is automatically deducted. The fare is the same as just buying individual tickets (IC card can be slightly cheaper but this amount is negligible). Cards can be purchased and reloaded at ticket machines and at the offices in train stations.

Tokyo's IC cards are Pasmo and SuICa - it does not matter which you choose, they both are accepted everywhere in Tokyo and almost everywhere in Japan (I was able to use my Pasmo in Hiroshima).
>>
I'm looking to buy a new phone before I go to Japan since my old one is too old to use new apps.

What's the best way to deal with internet on the phone?
Get a phone compatible with japanese sim-card or will a pocket wifi work?
Is there anything else I need to look for when buying a new phone that will be useful in japan?
>>
>>1149981

>japanese guys
>paying attention to women
>>
File: image.jpg (308KB, 790x445px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
308KB, 790x445px
Gonna be doing a week in Tokyo in 2 weeks. What are some must see hiking destinations that have cool temples/statues. I want to go to mount Nokogiri but I won't have a rental car while I'm visiting.
>>
>>1149986
I am half black and in Osaka now

I get a lot of brief looks but thats it. People rarely talk to me. Maybe they don't know if I can speak Japanese or not (I can't I'm American). I've had a few japanese guys talk to me in english who were nice and liked that I waa American

It's kind of lonely with a language barrier. If I spoke Japanese I feel like I would have way more fun
>>
>>1150164
>"half" black
kek
>>
>>1149986
You will not run into anyone that hates Mexicans and doesn't hate literally everyone who isn't Japanese. Don't take the whole "Japan is so great IF YOU'RE WHITE" thing people like to throw around here so literally.
>>
>>1150194
No one here is saying that senpai
>>
>>1150196
You can always count on stupid anon. For example, >>1149991.
>>
>>1150196
When I said "here" I was not referring to this specific iteration of this specific general & discounting the rest of this website (and to a lesser extent the internet as a whole). But i'm sure you knew what I meant and why OP even bothered asking in the first place either way so...

>>1150200
Also this
>>
>>1150180
Most japanese people think I am brazilian and not american
>>
>>1149800
I'm down for something Sunday. I go back to the US tuesday
>>
>>1150194
plenty of people hate other people in direct proportion to how much crime they commit

just because people where you're from (maybe mexico? or america) kill each other if they hate each other, doesn't mean everyone worldwide who hates each other is as violent as you.
>>
The feel of sitting at a combini in Tokyo having a relaxing drink and melon pan
>>
>>1149820
I went on 2nd day (today), it was pretty great - got a lot of stuff but my wallet's feeling a little lighter
Is it worth going to day 3? How is it different from the previous days? Im satisfied with what I got so I'm going to explore other areas of Tokyo, unless shaft studio brings more things so I can buy a shirt or a poster
>>
>>1150219
aw shucks, i never thought of it that way. i guess you're right ;((((((((
>>
>>1150239
evidently not, considering you claim to understand the racial sentiments of a country whose people you can't communicate with

spouting quotes from deepak chopra books might get you laid in a hostel, but to everyone else you look like an idiot
>>
>>1150237
Sorry we just went like 2 hours.

At the matsuri with the floating things in the water now
>>
>>1150237
Circles shift between the days.
>>
>>1150227
Sounds very comfy. I'm sitting somewhere in Shinjuku listening to Yamamoto Seiichi and just ate some watermelon.
>>
File: 53lv0sb.jpg (23KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
53lv0sb.jpg
23KB, 333x500px
Anyone know anything about working for a brothel (massage parlour), but not as a sex worker? Like, web developer or English Teacher?

I've seen ads for English teachers for escorts before, just wondering what the work environment is like. And how dangerous it is, like would the yakuza own me or something?
>>
>>1150284
Just came back from akihabara
Why the fuck does it all close at 2200 on a saturday?
>>
>>1150316
The weaboos go out to party
Duh
Also, Would you want to work past 10pm on the weekend?
>>
Is there an updated list anywhere of ongoing otaku events? Like the themed cafes that pop up in random parts of Tokyo, like Final Fantasy, Bakemonogatari etc that are big enough to have commercial events like these.
>>
I've taken Qatar flights for my first trip and it was OK, but is there a reason why i shouldn't go Aeroflot (stopping in Moscow) and shave off $350 for two tickets?
>>
>>1150568
Not really. Aeroflots layovers can be fucking long though.
>>
Is there an updated list anywhere of those popup otaku events anywhere in Japan? Like sometimes when an anime finished airing they'll make a themed cafe in Tokyo for a few weeks, for series that are big enough like Bakemonogatari or Idolmaster. Would like to go to one in Kyoto if there is.
>>
This weekend I'm looking to explore some nightlife in Shinjuku, anyone want to start the night together?
>>
Does anyone have experience buying foreclosed property in Japan?
>>
>>1150690

Property in Japan generally depreciates so if you're looking to flip houses you might want to think twice.
>>
>>1150702
I want to buy a cheap piece of shit house as a vacation house since property tax is minuscule in nipnong
>>
>>1147235
somebody has nothing better to do than keeping thoese japan general threads alive... so sick
>>
Going for 10 days next month. Couple nights in Tokyo, Kyoto for a few days, then back to Tokyo for the rest. We are wondering if there's a beach town worth stopping in on our way back to Tokyo, maybe even to surf?
>>
>>1148544
Kill yourself
>>
>>1148994
Happened to me and my friends in akihabara as well. Fluent English as well surprisingly.
>>
File: Yakushima.jpg (367KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Yakushima.jpg
367KB, 1280x800px
Worth it taking the boat to Yakushima for a day trip? I'm looking at 30.000¥ for tickets, which is pretty steep no matter how i look at it, but i'll probably regret not going.
>>
migrate >>1150987
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.