[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

norwegian going to the states in three weeks. what do I need

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: tipsss.jpg (192KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
tipsss.jpg
192KB, 1280x960px
norwegian going to the states in three weeks.

what do I need to know about tipping? I've never tipped.
>>
There is a whole percent thing of the price in your order but I tip on how the waiter treats and also don't be cheap!
>>
Typically tip 15-20% I think it is. But 15% is standard. So add about 1/10 of your cost and then a few dollars more.
It's shitty and most Americans don't even like it but it literally keeps food on their tables, as places like restaurants pay below minimum wage.
>>
When the fuck did 15% become the standard??? The standard is 10%. Just because restaurants print out receipts with tip suggestions starting at 15% doesn't mean you're obligated to tip that. 10% is fine OP. More if your server was very attentive.
>>
For drinks at a bar I tip $1 per round. Thoughts on this?
>>
>>1147065
As an American bartender, I usually expect about $1 per drink
>>
>>1147086
>pours fermented water from a tap for thirty seconds
>"compensate me for paying attention to you"
>>
>>1147086
Actually laughed out loud just then.
>>
>>1147022
Here are general customs:

>Bar/restaurant (NOT fast food)
15% of bill
>Valet
$1 or $2
>Haircutters
$2 or $3
>Taxi/Uber/Etc.
10% of bill
>>
>>1147103
More like
>mixes drink for you that a lot of people probably couldn't do because of the ratios
>compensate me for the service, please
>>
>>1147056
I know fucking right. Now the standard is moving towards 20%.

Personally, I like to tip 10% and once in a while drop a 50% tip. It's much less forced than guilt tipping.

Fuck tipping anyways. I love the idea of tipping, but this culture of mandatory tips is bullshit.
>>
>>1147120
Who the fuck tips an Uber? I've never done this, nor has any of my friends, and it's also a fucking marketing point of theirs. Maybe if it was extra good service, but otherwise you're just letting your guilt drain you wallet.
>>
>>1147156
It's more like the culture of underpaying workers with tips as justification.
I remember last year I took up a job at a summer camp as a counselor. I got paid 3 fucking dollars an hour in New York state of all places. I asked around how they got away with it, it's because under law I was a "tipped employee", which was bullshit because I got none.
>>
>>1147120
I forgot one:
>Delivery drivers
$2 or 10% of bill, whichever is higher.

>>1147158
I've never taken Uber, but I assume it would be just like a taxi.
>>
>>1147161
Why the fuck did you work there? Not only that, but you try to pass the blame on minimum wage laws. You took the job I assume because you couldn't find anybody who thought you were worth 4 an hour, or cause you didn't care enough to look. I don't get it.
>>
>>1147162
http://therideshareguy.com/uber-tips-sign-review/
This guy put up a tip sign, and still only got 2 tips out of 15 people. So yeah, most people don't, and I hope they don't start cause that's just gonna make a simple system more complicated.
>>
>>1147022
Don't forget to always tip your fedora.
>>
>>1147158
I've never personally tipped an Uber driver but I had a friend from Italy that would always tip them way too much money.
>>
>>1147033
>>1147052
>>1147056
>>1147065
>>1147086
>>1147103
>>1147120
RETARDS.

OP. DONT TIP. EVER. The employer will make up the difference between how much the employee makes from tips and their real wage.
They make fucking bank, don't tip.

inb4 qqqqq feed muh kids, feed muh fat. Don't make enough? Negotiate a better wage, get another job, or get a different one.

Not. Our. Problem.
>>
>>1147022
Shit waiter: 0%
Average waiter: 10%
Good waiter: 15%
Amazing waiter: 20%
>>
>>1147022
what would happen if you wouldn't tip someone? I don't really see the point of it
>>
>>1148241
You would be seen as a bad customer and it is bad practice like slamming a door in someone's face. You just don't do it, even though you wouldn't be arrested for it or anything. If you're going to go to a restaurant more than once be sure to tip because at least in America some waiters will mess with the food of customers they don't like. If you tip you'll also get better service next time. This is essentially for sit down restaurants where a waiter gets and does everything for you. If there's a place with a tip jar or a fast food place, we don't usually tip.
>>
>>1147022

here in Mexico, once a waiter told me that the tip is distributed between kitchen and waiters. I was surprised about this.
I don't know if this happens in every restaurant over here.
Is this the case in any other country?
>>
>>1147162
I've never tipped a delivery driver in my life and I dont know anyone who has, youre wrong you need to stop being wrong
>>
>>1147161
Do you have a severe mental handicap? Are you socially awkward or otherwise unemployable? Hate to tell you this but most Mexican illegals who can't speak English make more than you washing dishes or picking tomatoes. Taking a 3/hr job is disrespectful to yourself. You're pathetic.
>>
>>1147022

Honestly just ask the locals because 'merica is fucking huge and every part of the country is different. That being said 20% is pretty standard if the service was good, if you're not a cheap cocksucker that is.
>>
>>1148290
20%? Everyone knows you tip 35%, if you're not a cheap cocksucker that is.
>>
>>1147022
15-20%
>>
>>1147022
Dont tip those entitled cunts

Feign ignorance an absorb their tears while they whine about how hard their job is to carry fucking drinks.
>>
File: 139483627938.png (563KB, 569x802px) Image search: [Google]
139483627938.png
563KB, 569x802px
>>1147153
How is beer (or any thousands of pure alcohols) mixed, retard? Also "because of the ratios".

So I googled your "ratios" (even though I knew them already) and it's 50ml orange juice and 100ml vodka.

Holy.Fucking.Shit. You is scientists and sheeit.

kys nobody
>>
>>1148255
It depends on the restaurant, but yes. Typically waitresses are expected to share tips with the hostess, bus boys, and maybe others.
>>
File: just_the_tip.png (28KB, 728x306px) Image search: [Google]
just_the_tip.png
28KB, 728x306px
>>1148255
>tip is distributed between kitchen and waiters
Depends on restaurant, but in the US, it's definitely not shared with the kitchen staff since they're not considered tipped employees.
>>
Expecting me to tip 20% is a fucking violation. Even more so if it's not going to the fucking kitchen, they're the people actually getting shit done. I'll tip if the service is good but don't think it should be expected of me, especially if there's a service charge.

The worst is when you get shit service and they try ungenuine, sleazy niceties at the end of the meal. Or when the delivery guy's late and hangs around acting like he doesn't have change. Nah.
>>
I do not give two fucks what anybody thinks of tipping as an institution. But:

1) When traveling, observe appropriate local customs

and

2) When on /trv/ don't be so easily baited.
>>
>>1147402
don't ever come to america, if you live here, please move to india
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.