[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I moved to Korea to teach English

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

File: koreafood 2.jpg (277KB, 896x504px) Image search: [Google]
koreafood 2.jpg
277KB, 896x504px
Have you ever made a mistake so big, so huge, that you can barely conceive of it?

A mistake so fucking astronomical that the only way to fix it is to give up, count your losses, and leave everything behind just admitting that you wasted all that time, money and energy?

I did, it's called the first twenty six years of my life

I just had my second day teaching English in Korea. and it's great! pic related, my first real Korean takeout!

I'm going to spend a year living here, I know i'm still in the first stage of finding everything amazing, but so far I am loving this place since i first woke up here (trip here was really fucking bad, i hate flying). but I really think moving here was a great choice
>>
>>1146838
I'll be there some time next year anon, korea was the best country I ever visited outside the usa.

and I've got a lot of connections there.
>>
>>1146844
Between Seoul and Yongin, where i am teaching and living, i saw the most beautiful landscape i have ever seen.
>>
>>1146838
Try HDMG chiken, it's like "hwon dong mu gea" but we just called it HDMG, that shit is know as "crack chiken" in camp Humphreys, and you are talking to one of the original customers and discoverers.
>>
>>1146847
This is Gamaro Gang Jung chicken, the previous ESL teacher said it was the best in the city and even had a map to it waiting for me. then again she also kept the vegetable crisper literally filled with McDonald ketchup packets and was very, very fat in the pictures of her the school has
>>
>>1146846
if you have a 4 day or something, get on the train to busan, the land is beautiful, there's a giant gold buhda, and busan is an amazing beach area.

Also, get out and go hiking in dobongsan, it's just north of souel.

fml I should just quit school and go back and be an English teaCher and tour guide.

I'm still trying to figure out how I can become an ambassador.....Koreans are incredibly different from us, it takes a lot of patience to understand and live with them, just remember to clean up and always act super polite, and everyone will like you I shit you not.

Koreans totally flip when you assimilate, and are incredibly polite.

oh and be easy on your students, korea has a high suicide rate for students, it's incredibly hard for them there, so just watch the little bastards.

It may sound strange, but all the things I did for korea....I feel responsible for it now so like, be good to my 51st state ok? It's my baby.
>>
>>1146852
I'm married to a korean, who do you trust?
>>
>>1146852
Oh anon, what's your pay look like if you don't mind me asking?

I seriously need a reason to go back.

I'm an aviation mechanic but they don't have too many contracts for korea, I may get in on the AH-64 contract if it's open by the time I get out of class.
>>
File: 20160702_152258.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160702_152258.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I'm probably overwhelming the shit out of you.

Here, have an interesting ak stoppage
>>
>>1146855
my pay is not high, i am a level C out of A B C and D, and working in a dodgy hagwon in a smaller city,.

Hell i haven't been paid at all yet, but i'm not doing this for the money, i'm doing it because [spoiler]I tried to kill myself last year
>>
File: 20160624_112347.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160624_112347.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Keeping it /k/
>>
>>1146857
>>1146859
didn't know you could own weapons in Korea. Did you had to get an extra permit or something?
>>
>>1146858
well, korea is a great place to pick your feels back up anon, and as long as you arnt black, you can possibly find yourself someone.

Oh oh oh food.
Drink the aloe water, but make sure you get a small bottle or the koreans will silently judge you lmfao

soju is the devil, do not trust it, drink in moderation because it sneaks up on you.
dok Bo gi is a rice noodle with spicy sause, shits tits m8.

BI BIM BOP is a usually rather large meal mostly consisting of veggies and a little beef, you can eat like a fat ass but feel good about yourself.

the BBQ places, go to them korean BBQ Is legit, there's several kifferent kinds if self cook places, I'd recomend taking a friend who can tell you what's what.
WARNING******
Oh and before you eat anything, make sure there's no fucking beans or bean paste in it, koreans love the shit but to Americans and most others it tastes like shit, it's horrid I'm not joking, that's the one korean food I can't eat.

It's in
>pastries
>ice cream
>donuts
>cakes
>pies

basically if it can be filled with something, it might have beans in it......
>>
>>1146863
No bro I'm in the states now.

I've been home for a little bit.....

I'm an adventurer at heart and it's killing me, I'm a student now so I can't really go anywhere till next year.....
>>
>>1146863
And you can have guns in korea, but you have to be a citizen, and it's really only shotguns for sport, and you need to be super rich....
>>
I thought I was on /k/ this whole time....

How did I even get here???
>>
>>1146869
>but to Americans and most others it tastes like shit,
I've had it before, it's not bad, don't really like the texture but it's not terrible to me.

>>1146880
You tried to drive yourself into a tree but hit a tree-root and veered off course and lost your hubcap but were otherwise fine, then spent the next 6 hours crying and within the week signed up for a TEFL course?

wait, that's me, nevermind
>>
OP herem actually found redbulls in a store, for 80c-$1 instead of $2.50 like it is back home. Also had different fried chicken today... i may have a problem here... too many chicken places
>>
안녕하세요 from 통영

I come out to Busan often. Been here a year and a half. Best decision of my life.

Hmu if you wanna chat or drink

Kakao: smartalec92
>>
>>1146838
i want to do same, in my last semester of college right now. if you dont mind me asking, how long/difficult was the interview and acceptance process? what kind of tefl cert did you do?
>>
File: 1422976894476.jpg (64KB, 564x518px) Image search: [Google]
1422976894476.jpg
64KB, 564x518px
>>1146838
Damn, OP post is so deceiving.
I've read about how his whole life was a mistake, than saw an OP's pic: a beat down rented flat, shitty carb drink and deep fried something.
I've already uploaded that wojak to symphatize with OP but then the last sentence came out.
Oh shit.
>>
File: walks.jpg (438KB, 1825x1015px) Image search: [Google]
walks.jpg
438KB, 1825x1015px
>>1147526
I'm in Suji-Gu, about 4 hours away from you. I'm still settling into the area right now, going to try making friends when i don't get lost on my way to the store

>>1147536
I did a 120hr online tefl. get that, have a degree in anything, and you will get a job. don't settle for something you don't like, there are a lot of jobs in Korea. A year or so ago there was a mass exodus of teachers after they tightened restrictions on immigration, now there is a huge demand again.
>>
>>1147541 the last 26 years were a mistake, then again i was a mistake in the first place. now i have a chance to start over. I'm going to need to find a gym, get into a bit better shape, and then-start hitting the dating sites to find me some prime Korean boipussy to

gently make love to and cuddle afterwards
>>
>>1147554
fuck off to your country faggot
hope you get MERS
>>
>>1147552
how fucked up is the countryside?

I've heard the countryside is china tier and that there are only really 3 or 4 actual cities in the country.

it's the only country in asia I haven't been to
>>
>>1147552
that's good to hear since i kept hearing how competitive and in low-demand english teachers are over there right now. which online tefl specifically? i was looking at the i-to-i one
>>
>>1146853

>Koreans totally flip when you assimilate, and are incredibly polite.

Speaking any korean past 안녕하세요 and ordering off the menu by yourself will net you huge brownie points with 99.99% of the people that you will meet.
>>
>>1147942
I can vouch for this. Also eat food with gusto for a double bonus.

Add in an interest in Yi Sunshin or Joseon, any Korean history for a triple bonus.

You'll make friends no problem.
>>
>>1147586
Countryside is fine. Almost all the places are similar. This is coming straight from my boss's mouth. I live in Tongyeong, I've been to Changwon, Geoje, Gimhae, Busan Incheon and Seoul. Anything "not Seoul" is gonna have small variance (from my personal experience).

Small local fish and veggie markets. High raise apartments, squatting 아줌마 하고 아저씨, chicken and beer restaurants, drunk people on the streets at night(more likely for Koreans to use English at this time), garbage that will disappear only to be replaced with different garbage.

You'll learn to love it(or become a bitter expat who hates korea but stays here for 4+ years)
>>
>>1146869
You sound like a huge dudebro faggot
>>
I want to teach English overseas, and I want to g to Asia, but I want to go somewhere where I can meet a woman (the easier, the better) as a White guy. Where should I go?
>>
>>1148301
Wow you just narrowed it down to all of them. Great question anon!
>>
>>1148301

pick any country then. All of the countries have women. What will help you the most, is speaking the language or showing interest in the country's culture.
>>
>>1147959

One thing I never did in South Korea was visit Baekgyangsa temple.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/16/t-magazine/jeong-kwan-the-philosopher-chef.html?_r=0

Korea has a lot of magical places tucked away, that do need to be found.
>>
>>1148400
>All of the countries have women
[citation needed]
I hope you can understand that, as a STEM major, I approach all topics with a skeptical eye

Burden of proof is on you, my friend
>>
>>1146853
>>1146838

OP, why are you going to uni in the States if you want to go back to Korea so badly? More to the point - is what you're studying here going to facilitate your going back or further your career options if you do? If not then what's the point? Now that I've dropped that philosophical shit on you, gotta ask, what online TEFL course did you take? I'm thinking of MyTEFL or i-to-i.
>>
>>1146838
This is so typical of English teachers. Socially rejected losers who accomplished nothing in their home countries. Usually virgins with few friends who go to a country where their whiteness is a novelty but more importantly, nobody can tell a winner from a loser. They are so willing to run away from their short comings that they'll leave what little life they have to live as "just another white guy" which is an improvement over their low status back home.

Well guess what nerd? You can't run forever and we'll be waiting when you get back.
>>
>>1146838
You post on /fit/ aswell don't you?
>>
>>1149247
This sounds like a christmas cake white woman.

t. third party who's never even been to Korea
>>
>>1149251
I just looked up "christmas cake" and had a good laugh
>>
>>1146838
I taught in Korea for 2 years. It is not all sunshine and golden shits but it was some of the best two years of my life. Fucking amazing hell of a time and some friends for life came out of it.

1. try to learn the language

2. Visit all the small tiny towns and cool places around the country. I went to a different small town or rural beautiful place to hike, climb, and eat and I saw some amazing off the beat places. Dont get sucked into one area. The whole fucking country has amazing amazing beauty.
>>
>>1149247
Who shit in your cheerios?

Why is the world so black and white for you?

Did you have a shitty job overseas and are bitter about it now?

Are you a western women that isn't treated like a princess like she is in the west?

Are you projecting your own insecurities anonymously?

So many questions from one shitty post.
>>
This thread is full of starry eyed retards who are still in their honeymoon period. Wait a year or so and everything will start falling to pieces. The shitty dead end english job, the stares, the discrimination, the crazy and often xenophobic women...
>>
>>1149932
I've been here almost 2 years and I still enjoy Korea. The food, my friends, the children I work with.

Korea kickstarted my teaching career, allowed me to save over $20k and I've had so many good memories.

Sure it's not paradise but it's not like teaching is 24/7 partytime. You're here to work.

As a white American all the "xenophobia" has been virtually nonexistent and it's been overwhelmingly positive. People are more lenient with their customs, they give you free shit(often kimchi). They want to speak with you and improve their English. The only bad instance I've had is a club in Busan didn't allowed foreigners. So i had to choose the other dozen choices.

And if you think women saying "와 잘생겼다 외국인!" is xenophobia you're pretty strange dude. There is staring sure.

I wish the "esl is a deadend job" meme would die because you retards are always annoying.

Look up international school pay and benefits. Not just Korea but the global market.
>>
>>1149974

>Look up international school pay and benefits.

I thought you need an actual masters degree in teaching for that... right?
>>
>>1149974

>>Look up international school pay and benefits. Not just Korea but the global market

Comparing established teachers with home country experience whom for the most part have solid credentials to obtain well paying jobs at international schools to your run of the mill glorified babysitter at a hagwon for 2.2won a month... baka.
>>
>>1149247
>implying we are all white
yeah maybe most are that, maybe it's the TEFL starter pack but i know a married couple who does TEFL in china and has done it in Japan for 5 years
I'm black doing TEFL
I know of many black women doing it as well as Asian Americans
>>
>>1150558
What country are you in and where are you from? Asking as another black guy who's semi-interested in TEFL, do you think you've had a different experience compared to your non-black peers?
>>
>>1150531
Are you speaking from experience or talking out of your ass?

Not every job is your "glorified baby sitting " thing you've got in your head. Can't "babysit" preparing middle/high schoolers to take the TOEFL and TOEIC.

I make a good bit more than 2.2 friend.

If you actually knew what you were talking about you'd know having overseas teaching experience is seen favourably when finding international teaching gigs.
>>1150261
Most have a masters or higher. Yes. At least a certified teaching cert.
>>
What qualifications did you go for? I'm looking at the TESOL courses at the moment weighing up my options. 20 year old uni student looking for a change of pace.
>>
I live in Japan and so far my time in Korea was much better
>>
>>1150922
Mind explaining why? I lived in Korea for 6 months, but the 5 days I spent in Japan were a lot more enjoyable. It was cleaner, more people spoke English, etc.
>>
>>1150855

>Most have a masters or higher. Yes. At least a certified teaching cert.

I'm currently obtaining a masters of teaching. So I might end up in Korea, I wouldn't mind anywhere though.

I would prefer to do the experience here first though then come over to korea, it only gets better year after year.
>>
My female cousin moved to Korea to teach English a few years ago. She loved it at first and tried getting me to do it too. Then she got married and had a kid and now she absolutely hates it there and just moved back to the states to save herself from going insane. Apparently people are pretty racist to foreigners (in a non malicious way most of the time) and treat foreign mothers like animals who can't think for themselves and need their husbands to control their lives
>>
>>1146838
Panter ?
>>
>>1151632

That's just korea in general though when it comes to mothers.
>>
>>1146838
Good job OP.
You were unhappy and you had the courage and organisation to change it.
Good luck and I would say don't limit yourself to a single year. It's too early for that. I did 6 in China, learned the language and grew a lot before moving to the US.

And never listen to this >>1149247 anon and people like him. He's just a miserable piece of shit who wants you to be as miserable as he is.
>>
>>1146869
>Oh and before you eat anything, make sure there's no fucking beans or bean paste in it, koreans love the shit but to Americans and most others it tastes like shit, it's horrid I'm not joking
Fuck you, it's great. I've heard people say this before but I know tons of other white people who love it. It is a bit of a love it or hate it thing, but don't write it off without even trying it.
>>
File: boigah korea.jpg (581KB, 2080x1170px) Image search: [Google]
boigah korea.jpg
581KB, 2080x1170px
>>1146838
hey, OP again, just letting you all know that becoming an ESL teacher may be the best decision I have ever made in my life

>>1150983
>I'm currently obtaining a masters of teaching. So I might end up in Korea, I wouldn't mind anywhere though.

If you have a real teaching degree, you just jumped up to the next level of pay in korea

>>1149974
>I wish the "esl is a deadend job" meme would die because you retards are always annoying.
the people who say this are normally in deadend jobs themselves

>>1149247
>This is so typical of English teachers. Socially rejected losers who accomplished nothing in their home countries. Usually virgins with few friends who go to a country where their whiteness is a novelty but more importantly, nobody can tell a winner from a loser. They are so willing to run away from their short comings that they'll leave what little life they have to live as "just another white guy" which is an improvement over their low status back home.
>Well guess what nerd? You can't run forever and we'll be waiting when you get back.

ahahaha implying i'm coming back for anything other than Visa runs

And when people say this, what exactly is their point? like, should we just stay in shiftily lives we hate having to interact with shitheads like you all the time? you don't like us, you bully us, and then when we leave you still try and bully us for not wanting to play the same ratrace as you. I mean, how much do you hate your life that this is how you talk to and about people you'e never met? Does projecting your own insecurities onto other really help?

Also, holy shit this burger place is AMAZINGLY GOOD
>>
File: esl skeptic.jpg (536KB, 1002x1500px) Image search: [Google]
esl skeptic.jpg
536KB, 1002x1500px
>>1149247
>>
>>1148301
I second this question
>>
>>1155696
>>1155702
If this is samefag you should actually be embarrassed that you care so much about what other people, presumably a faggot since we're on 4chan, think of you
>>
>>1155696
>go to Korea to eat a chicken sandwich instead of the amazing local food
???
>>
>>1156257
>Implying Korea isn't famous for their chicken
>Implying that you're only allowed to eat local the entire time you're abroad

When you do some little week long vacation its a waste to not eat all the culturally significant dishes during that week but when you live there you eat what you're in the mood for which might just be a fucking chicken sandwich
>>
>>1156271
At least try spicy fried chicken with pickled radishes. That's a very Korean meal.
>>
>>1155696
OP I'm glad you're not letting the negative booty blasted anons get to you. Korea has a lot of opportunities and amazing people.

Enjoy, save some money and don't stagnant.
>>
File: need a cut.jpg (247KB, 1073x1385px) Image search: [Google]
need a cut.jpg
247KB, 1073x1385px
>move to Korea
>want to finally lose my virginity
>condoms are too small
>order some online
>they arrive whilst i am at work
>i now need to find a post office and pick up a box of 100 condoms sized L to XXL in Korea using only a shitty Korean map

I think i know where to go, i just hope this package, which is from fucking Lithuania despite ordering it from the US, isn't marked on the outside with it's contents

I'll make a dating profile either this weekend, or on the long weekend coming up (my boss is giving me a very special gift... i'm scared...)

would you date me?
>>
>>1159206
>sized L to XXL
That's a pretty big difference
>>
>>1159209
I don't actually know what size i need really, never used a condom or had sex. but i have a very large dick so...
>>
>>1159206
/soc/ or /r9k/ might be a better fit for you.
>>
>>1159211
your anus sounds like a good fit for me
>>
>>1159211
Good one guy.
>>
>>1159212
In that case I definitely recommend /soc/ for you.
>>
>>1159206
Hey man, just keep going on dates in trying.

You will get laid if you keep trying.

But you have to keep going on dates.
>>
>>1159229
>>1159229
Make that two. I would press those lips against mine with the force of a demon to cause your whole head to ring. Your cheeks would be cupped into my palms as I hold your head still lest my excitement cause me to skitter away with joy. Of course I would not take it any further for your virginity is sacred and the good God would be displeased were it to be spoiled outside of wedlock. I must insist that you do not give in to the temptations of sin in that land of heathens the devil has convinced you to live in. Your purity is a treasure; once you lose it, it can never be reclaimed--I say this with a heart filled with longing and remorse for I have succumbed to the meme of premarital sex and now I sit here typing, despoiled and unholy while the devil laughs in my ear. If it's too hard to resist the calling of lust, at least, my dear brother, do not give in to a heathen. Their nipples are of a repulsive, brownish-grey that is quite sufficient to sustain a man's abstinence. You are better than that, I promise you.
>>
>>1156257

>korea
>amazing local food

HAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>1159493
You kidding?

The food is fucking delicious man. What are you smoking?
>>
>>1148301
recommend Thailand
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.