[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cultural shock issues

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

I am from Hong Kong. I have Kiwi citizenship and am thinking about relocating there. However, I have never really lived there and have only traveled briefly around NZ when I was young. The longest I have been in one western country is a month. I really like the way of life there but I understand that traveling around a country for a month is different from living there for years. I cannot just quit my job and stay in NZ for a couple of months just to see whether I will like it or not. How to tell whether I will ever get past the cultural shock stage and adjust to life abroad without quitting my job?
>>
>>1146377
>I cannot just quit my job and stay in NZ for a couple of months just to see whether I will like it or not.
Then it sounds like you don't have enough money in the bank to even consider relocating at this juncture in your life. When you are more secure financially to take some risk, say if you ended up unemployed for a year, and/or had to relocate a second time without income, then you could be ready.

In the meantime, you should immerse yourself in whatever you can find in the job climate for your ethnicity and career, and cost of living for the new city, Auckland, I assume. How reliant are you others socially, or willing to not be so social for a while until new friends? Are you happy alone without family?
>>
>>1146406
It's not that I have no money. It's more like quitting a job before finding another one seems a bit too risky.
I guess I can surirve until I make new friends. I have been been that far away from my family but I guess I will be fine.
So, no answers to my questions about cultural shock?
>>
>>1146412
>So, no answers to my questions about cultural shock?
It depends on you: your age (did you live in british HK?), your previous travel, social class and so forth. Most people like NZ, but will a non-anglo feel awesome? I honestly don't know with how it compares to say AU.
>>
>>1146424
I am 24. I was too young to remember anything back in the colonial days, but I went to an international school so I don't know if I will experience that much culture shock. I am from the middle class (upper boundary).
>will a non-anglo feel awesome
What?
>>
File: Autism with doritos.png (182KB, 334x390px) Image search: [Google]
Autism with doritos.png
182KB, 334x390px
>>1146429
You'll be totally fine provided you can find a job, you're coming from Hong-Kong not bloody Somalia, especially if you come from a upper middle class family (and a international school), anyways there are tonnes of Chinese and Hong Kongers in Auckland.
>>
>>1146377

NZ is full of Chinese / other Asians, and more arrive every year. The economic conditions are improving so quite a few are coming home from Australia as the job prospects are better (NZ citizens pretty much travel / live unrestricted in Australia due to a special arrangement but do not qualify for social security payments).

The white kiwis, who are generally much better educated / less ignorant than the maoris or other south pacific people, are pretty non-plussed about Asian people, but like any country until you earn their respect through friendship or business relationships you are seen as merely an "asian". Most maoris are ok but a lot consider outsiders ie whites/asians/blacks as invaders & look down on them.

NZ is a beautiful country & houses are afforsable but it's cold & miserable in winter, esp. in the south. Check out east cost Australia ie Brisbane, winter is mild, laid back people & nice city to live in - but like all of Australia house prices are retardedly expensive.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.