[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tokyo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: idkmahdude.png (231KB, 600x222px) Image search: [Google]
idkmahdude.png
231KB, 600x222px
Hey so me and 2 of my friends are considering to visit Tokyo.. But here is the thing. Can you visit tokyo without knowing japanese? We are planning to go around clubbing at T2 and Vision, go to the Robot resturant, Shidax karaoke, general sight seeing and other stuff.

But I am very interested in being able to find some random young strangers that wouldnt tagging along for one day. Would there be a such a huge language barrier that such a thing would never happen, unless me and my friends somewhat learned the language?
>>
>>1145790
Although many people in Japan will not speak much English, many/most young people will. Call it part of the adventure to figure shit out, And get a translator ap of some sort.
>>
>>1145797
Cheers mah dude.

Anyone know of any good Translater apps?
>>
>>1145797
>Although many people in Japan will not speak much English, many/most young people will.

>many/most young people will

As a Tokyo resident, fucking kek m8. Not even.

That said, of course OP can visit Japan and have fun without knowing Japanese. I would recommend learning Katakana and maybe Hiragana before going though.
>>
>>1145813
>I would recommend learning Katakana and maybe Hiragana before going though.

Why not just learn Japanese?
>>
>>1145790
Do the Japanese like party-bois?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_plRtaoFSDc
>>
>>1145815
>My friends and I need a place to sleep!
>I'd recommend a hotel
>Why don't you just buy a house?
>>
>>1145797
A young person is more likely than an old person to know some English, but the vast majority treat their English "education" like any other bullshit subject you're forced to learn but don't care about. They'll be able to tell you "This is pen" or guys might ask "You like Japanese girls? どうして、すまん、Why?"
But finding anyone outside of gaijin hunters who can carry on a conversation using English more than 50% of the time is very rare
>>
>>1145813
>I would recommend learning Katakana and maybe Hiragana before going though
So if I understand correctly, this is mainly to understand some of the basic characters to figure out signage?
>>
>>1145825
Yes, plus if you actually study you can learn them both in about a week
>>
>>1145826
Thanks. Not OP, but I'm considering a Tokyo trip within a year.
>>
>>1145821
Kek. Just ignore him, he's a persistent shill Japanese major who tries to justify his existence by coming into the Japan threads and reminding everyone even just going on holiday to Japan to learn the entire language otherwise they will have a terrible time and won't experience anything worthwhile.

He's just trying to feel superior and worth something because he's a weeaboo faggot who spent a bunch of time and effort learning a pretty useless and difficult language, and his persistence is baffling.
>>
>>1145826
For most people, i'd say a week for one and a week for the other is more realistic to really get it down, unless you have absolutely nothing going on like you're on a week vacation or something.

Katakana might be more important than Hiragana for a vacationer, but you'll feel more comfortable knowing both at least a bit.
>>
>>1145815
>>1145821
>I really want to get laid!
>I'd recommend Tinder or a Club
>why not just get married?
>>
>>1145835
I think there is some major confusion going on here.

I'm not who you think I am, I don't want what you think I want, and if you're trying to insult me I don't know enough about whatever it is you're referring to to be insulted.
>>
>>1145838
There is a guy who often shows up in Japan threads telling people (obviously falsely) that Japan is not fun or a good experience if they don't know Japanese. He's a massive faggot and you sound a lot like him right now. So if you're not him, sorry, but the idea of learning Japanese just to go on vacation to Japan is absurd.
>>
>>1145842
Well, I do like to study up on the languages before I visit a place. I don't pay attention to Jap threads usually, I mainly focus on Europe ones. Just thought I'd post something different today.
>>
Most places have signs in English, and if you can say "please", "thank you", and pronounce the names of places you want to go, you shouldn't have any trouble. Of course you won't see anything off the beaten track either but judging by your preliminary plans I don't imagine that would be of much interest to you anyway.

As far as getting people to accompany you, to my mind language is not the problem. It takes an unusual sort of a person to wander around with foreign strangers, and this sort of unusual person is even more unusual in Japan. Those who will be most willing to specifically go clubbing with you are likely to be drug users or other shady characters. Even so such unsavoury types tend to be less dangerous in Japan than elsewhere. I wouldn't say give up, but be sensibly wary of people, and don't count on the prospect of native company.
>>
>>1145835
That's good advice. Extramarital sex is disgusting and immoral.
>>
I have been there, if you dont speak japanese dont bother. The airline will ask for your language certificate same as immigration
You wont be able to buy any food or accommodation at all. What will happen is that you are going to be beaten up, same if you speak japanese with the slightest accent. I recommend going to kongo instead.
>>
>>1145790
I just got to Tokyo this morning. I don't know a lick of Japanese and I haven't had a single problem so far.
>>
>>1145933
Can confirm.

I faked my language certificate but when I got to the hotel I got beat up the moment I started talking. And they stole all my luggage. And they kidnapped my wife.
>>
OP here thanks for all your comments

>>1145933
Kongo it is

>>1145873
Guess you are right, i just heard many stories of people finding random japs that would'nt mind tagging along for a night.

>>1145813
Thanks ill look into it and see if its worth it
>>
>>1145790
>that beta weeb with an edgy 90's linkin park goatee

Why does seeing a weeb in its natural environment always crack me up?
>>
>>1145998
Same here, man. I thought a lot about why it triggers me so much. Probably because this guy has the "same" hobbies as you, only that he's shallow and pathetic and fuck. Moreover, he projects his "weeb" image around so you are treated in the same manner. Finally, those people are the sole reason for crap merchandise, titles and so on. Numbers dictate what's being produced.
I am especially triggered when they pretend to "like" my favorite title without even understanding it, eg only because it has some fan service moments.
And jeez, fucking goatees and edgy t shirts. Sometimes it also could be an anime t shirt. Fuck it
>>
>>1145813
>As a Tokyo resident, fucking kek m8. Not even.

My experience was that there was no difficulty at all finding young people who spoke enough English to get by. Sorry f that does not accord with your experiences.
>>
>>1146091
OP here.

Sounds like you had a great time, how was the nightlife? clubs n stuff?

Yea well ill for sure learn basic Japanese so i can get by, i can also use it for my education so thats a + aswell.
>>
OP I have lived in Japan for 12 years. 8 in Tokyo, 4 in Fukuoka and I have been to almost every prefecture, some for up to a few months.

You do not, I repeat, do NOT need to know a single word of Japanese in Japan. Most Japanese know enough English already and they will assume you can't speak it if you aren't also Japanese. Disregard all the other BS in this thread.
>>
>>1145813
>>1145797
>>1145790

I've been here for 2 months now, about to head home next week actually. I'm a medical student doing some stuff in Tokyo's Juntendo university hospital, and literally every one of the doctors speak english, and all of the medical students speak english.

This >>1145813 guy is definitely living in some gutters of Tokyo where no tourist ever goes to anyway, so nobody speaks English there.

Anyway, you'll be fine OP, but don't expect too much from Robot Restaurant or clubs in Shibuya/Roppongi, they're pretty dull compared to what I'm used to in London imo.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.