[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Interrail?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: interrail.jpg (277KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
interrail.jpg
277KB, 1280x720px
So I'm looking into getting an interrail pass since ill be back packing europe. Since it's midnight to midnight how does that work if I activate it mid day and at 10-11 pm I get on a train that goes into the next day, does that automatically take another day off or just ignores it until I arrive at my destination?

Also any other general interrail info and tips appreciated.
>>
According to http://www.seat61.com/Railpass-and-Eurail-pass-guide.htm#Using-a-Eurail-pass

The overnight trains leaving after 19:00 rule...

A Flexi pass normally gives unlimited travel from midnight to midnight, but direct overnight trains leaving after 19:00 count as running the following day, so they only uses up one day of your pass - and it would still only use up one day if you used an onward train after arriving on the sleeper, of course.

So for example, if you travelled on the Phoenix sleeper train from Cologne to Prague, leaving Cologne at 23:13 on August 2nd arriving Prague 11:28 next morning, then travelled on to Cesky Krumlov later that day, this would only use up one day of free travel, and the date you'd write in the box on your pass would be August 3rd.

On the other hand, any trains you wanted to use before catching the sleeper would require another box to be used - say you wanted to go from Amsterdam to Cologne on 2nd August to connect with the sleeper - now you'd use two boxes, one 2 August, one 3 August.

You'd still need to pay the supplement for overnight travel in a couchette or sleeper of course, see the couchette & sleeper page.

To make use of the 19:00 sleeper train rule, you must have validated your pass (so the overall pass validity period starts ticking) on or before the day the sleeper train leaves. In other words, in this example the pass must have been validated at a station and the overall 1 or 2-month validity period started, on or before 2 August, even though the first day written into any of the five 'boxes' on the pass would be 3 August. Obviously with continuous passes this isn't an issue, the rule just applies to Flexi type Eurail passes.
>>
>>1145778
Be safe on night trains. Book something better than the lowest class, have a metal rope w/ lock to secure it to the rack above you to buy you time to react. If you have to use the racks near the doors, make sure you get up before and during all station stops and put your hand on the bag until the doors finally close. People can take your bags with them. Also, gypsies types can jump on and off at the last second and steal and you're unable to do a damn thing.
>>
Every interrail pass owner I've met says its a rip off. You need to prebook tickets when you start since if you go up to the counters at the station you didn't make it XX amount of time in advance and get charged 40 Euro. If you don't fill the tickets out right you'll get heckled and possibly fined. If you plan your entire trip out in advance before you even go it seems alright but you can't just up and get on whatever train you like all willy-nilly like it sounds.
>>
>>1145982
I bought a $1 bike lock to wrap through the metal parts of my backpack, when I can't secure it in a locker.
Best travel investment I have ever made (to buy me time, of course)
>>
>>1146302
I've used the interrail pass twice, for 30 days each and imo is the best way to travel around Europe, I never had problems with writing everything that I was going to do, just the train you are in, just do it right before hoping in, I never had to book before entering any train, just decide which one and get in, show the pass when asked.

All trips were decided on the fly, I did not know where I was going the until the day before, but Im European so maybe It works different If you are from somewhere else.
>>
Does any of this bullshit apply to someone with a 3 month unlimited pass?

Im going to be using it next week, im under the impression that no, it does not. Im aware some countries require reservations (and its generally smart to make them regardless if you want to be garanteed a seat) but what about filling in the pass cover? Wouldnt i be exempt since i dont have to prove shit except for my initial start date and end date?

I know its kinda trivial but the whole lure of getting this pass was to be able to float around carefree and not deal with any nitpicking from officials.

Also +1 to keeping yo shit locked/tied down. Imagine being on a train full of free shit where there is literally zero consequences if you take some of it - thats how thieves view your belongings. You dont have to make it physically impossible, just difficult enough where your bag is no longer the low hanging fruit.

Another Q: how tolerable are the trains in general? Im going to be taking a ~14 hour ride across from italy to the UK and im already having flashbacks of the plane ride over from the US. Granted, there will be connections to stretch my legs, and i wont be deprived of oxygen like you are on a pressurized aircraft. Having a sweet view and bring able to get up to get food and drink also sounds very nice. In short, should i be preparing my ass for an unpleasant experience? Or is it really not top shabby?
>>
>>1146322
>~14 hour ride across from italy to the UK
Well, in my opinion, italian trains are the worst from on time performance for connections to overall upkeep. I find austrian-german-swiss the nicest, cleanest, good footrests, most efficient. But, I really don't find trains all that enjoyably scenic if they aren't listed as scenic routes, if you know what I mean. That's a long time to be on a train where you don't actually know the seat comfort, and surely it could be better to fly costwise? But, hey, it's a life experience to absorb. For long rides when I travel, I have a turtleneck thick padded winter vest that goes down to my low back sciatica area and can be unfolded upwards at the neck to make a neck roll. It adds to the comfort in the whole back, or can be just used as a pillow for the back. It's not down, and keeps the loft. As far as ordering drink in business class, great, but you have to carry your belongings if you leave the car for a bathroom or cafe visit (when alone).
>>
>>1146419
>>1146419

The thing is that i already have a eurail pass. Im not really looking to tack on more costs if i really dont have to, plus my bag will not meet the carry on requirements for ryanair (or any airline that busts balls) so id get raped by bag fees as well.

In all honesty i dont "have" to go to the UK. Im in italy now and the heat is absolutely killing me. Since im over here for a few months i figured id just head north to get cooler weather, and venture into southern europe later on when things arnt hot as africa anymore. Maybe id be better suited making a stop in switzerland for a day or two?

Is it a bad idea to leave your bag alone if it is locked down with a bike cable, as well as locked? Are thieves bold enough to cut into it or break the locks off mid journey? I figured if everything was secure i could get away with leaving it if i was only gone for a few minutes - and only when the train isnt near any stops.

Another factor is that my pass is for 1st class - will this be a significant factor as far as comfort and security go? Im going to be traveling solo as well.

Thanks in advance, i know these are kind of odd questions but any and all insight is much appreciated. First time abroad and im kinda just winging it so its been a learning experience so far for sure.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.