[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travel photos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: PANO_20160719_165829.jpg (3MB, 6098x2656px) Image search: [Google]
PANO_20160719_165829.jpg
3MB, 6098x2656px
I have a feeling this has been discussed here before, but how do you draw that line between taking photos or just being in the moment?

Like I obviously want to get some good photos to be able to relive my memories in the years to come, but at the same time I don't want to miss out on being present in that moment by always being behind the lens.

Pic is from Porkkalaniemi, Finland
>>
I'm interested in this. I guess you should limit yourself to how many pictures you take of the same thing.
It's more important to be in the moment, so less is more (I think)
>>
File: 20160618_123347.jpg (1005KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160618_123347.jpg
1005KB, 3264x1836px
In order to photograph something you must first understand it. If you're taking a picture of a detail, see how it relates to the big picture, then isolate it in your mind. If you can, touch and feel it. Then take a picture. Continue observing until you feel you've experienced it. At least this is my way of doing things.

The downside is I'm sitting there for 5 minutes looking at wall inscriptions that the locals pass by and ignore, looking like an autist for caring about things nobody cares about.
>>
>>1145542
Essentially this.
If it's something like a fountain I'll walk around it, same with buildings sometimes. I'll try to think of why they chose whatever piece they chose on that balcony or why that's the centerpiece, walking to get all the different views of it. Then when I'm ready and done admiring I'll use those points to think of a good angle, snap a picture or two real quick and be done. I know I was there, the picture doesn't need to be perfect to bring those memories back. The only people out are your IG followers and friends who might think you took a shit picture.
>>
File: P1010795.jpg (6MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
P1010795.jpg
6MB, 4608x3456px
Just returned from a Nepal trip. Lots of interesting looking people to photograph there.
>>
when I started I tended to take pictures of everything, now I prefer to enjoy the moment and what I found the best way to do so is by using a disposable camera, just take the picture and move on, the imagery is interesting specially when partying, not at home so I don't have anything to share right now.
>>
It is so easy for me to simply take a picture of a scene I like. On my lasy month long vacation, it took about 2000 pictures. Where they perfect? No. Did they deyract feom my experience in the moment? No.
I think if the photographs are the primary goal of seeing a place/thing/whatever, than being in the moment is not.
>>
I've noticed that ever since I changed from just taking snapshots on holiday, to turning photography into a full fledged hobby I started searching out details in the things I come across.. I've become more aware of the space around me and it gave me more reason to crawl out of my comfort zone.

In a way, it enhances my experience without too many negative side effects. Sure I spend more time in and around places... But I can't see it all anyway so I'd rather take my time to enjoy what I see to the fullest.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
If you see something cool, just snap it. Make it picture perfect to the best of your ability. Get views from different angles and heights, lean over shit and crouch close to the ground if you must.

Try and incorporate stuff into the sides/corners that give you a frame of reference as well. For example, if your taking a pic of some fountain/bridge/big object, i like to try and get something very close to the camera juuuust in the edge of the picture to help give depth.

Theres a rule in photography where picture is broken into 9 equal squares - your subject needs to be in the center of one of those squares and not the border between them (think brady bunch). The difference is so slight but it really does make a big difference.

>pic somewhat related, so-so picture
>>
File: photography-rule-of-thirds[1].jpg (54KB, 550x363px) Image search: [Google]
photography-rule-of-thirds[1].jpg
54KB, 550x363px
>>1146335
Rule of thirds.. incredibly good way to start turning (fun) snapshots into interesting photos. I can recommend anyone who likes taking pictures, whether that's with a professional DSLR or even a phone to read up on some compositional "essentials" like:
-Rule of thirds
-Leading lines
-Viewpoint
-Symmetry/pattern recognition
-Framing

For anyone interested I can also really recommend watching Mike Browne's videos on youtube. He explains stuff in a really easy to understand way with clear examples. For me it was at times maybe a bit too obvious and easily explained, but then again I dont think i'm the actual target audience for his videos. (I still learned a bunch about composition though)

What's also refreshing is this guy definitely is not a gearfag like.. some others are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSSOZxLnNyc
>>
http://qz.com/705772/research-finds-that-taking-a-photo-and-enjoying-the-moment-arent-two-separate-things/
>>
I usually just take a photo or two, then put my camera/phone away and enjoy the moment afterwards.

Drives my photographer mom insane because I come back from places like New Zealand with only a couple photos taken kek
>>
just take really thoughtful pictures.
quality over quantity.
get really deeply involved in your subject and make the moment count, then snap a pic and you're good.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.