[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Working on a Carnival Cruise Line

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: booya.jpg (163KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
booya.jpg
163KB, 620x400px
Has anyone here worked on a carnival cruise?
What was your experience like?
I'm preparing to be on the youth staff...
>>
>>1144747
I have a question. What country are you from and how was the hiring process. I have only been a guest on Carnival Cruised but am interested in working for them.
>>
Life is a journey. Enjoy the trip.
>>
>>1144752
I'm interested in this as well, sounds like it could be shitty or fun as hell
What's the wage like?
>>
All I Know is that you will work forever for shit salary.
>>
I talked to a lot of the crew on the last Carnival cruise I took. Half of them said they hate it and only do it because it's better money than their home country, the other half love it.
>>
>>1145220
Was the hate and love broken down by ethnicity? I notice the crew cam be broadly broken down into 4 or 5 groups.
SEA, South Asian, Eastern European, South African, South America, and UK in some senior retail and entertainment positions, and very few Americans. Also typically in entertainment or retail. It can then further be broken down by country, if you wanted.

Also, did the love and hate vary by position?
>>
It seemed like most of the folks I talked to in entertainment enjoyed what they did and the folks in food service/bartending were 5050. I talked to a guy from Ukraine and they said he hate it but the only reason he signed up was to escape the war because he didn't want to die. With all the people I talked to the fact that they were running away from something seemed like a common theme.

A lot of the crew were very bad at English compared to Royal Carribbean or other cruise liners I've been on.
>>
>>1145224
>I notice the crew cam be broadly broken down into 4 or 5 groups.
>SEA, South Asian, Eastern European, South African, South America, and UK in some senior retail and entertainment positions, and very few Americans.
This varies by line, and by section of the world within that line. They do hire crew that might better serve the public that is their demographic and owner of their parent company. So RCL for instance used to have a rule that UK, Norwegian or US citizenship for officers. (On Carnival Costa ships, you'll be getting Italian crew, but RCL Mediterranean would cater to Americas and have similar officer ethnicities). And, what would be hired for each workplace department would be exclusively one thing and rather than say SEA asian, you'd be very specific, like wait staff might all be philipino on Pacific routes, but all Jamaican on Caribbean routes, and changed out when changing routes. You will have the best deal as an officer and with years experience make over 100k, private not shared cabins higher up to the waterline, best salaries on the ship, actual time off in ports, ability to fraternize with passengers (vs forbidden). It's not racist to have only chinese people in the laundry because likeminded people have less friction and more peaceful teamwork. It does take advantage of international waters and foreign registries in order to pay people based on their annual incomes from country of origin. They might not necessarily make more money, but they are getting room and board while making it, and that means it can all go to savings or back home to support poor families. They are often improving language skills and getting nice customer service training, valuable references, and this means a lot when they arrive home with a wad of cash and a foot up in the competitive hospitality workplace.

Don't do this job without finishing school and applying for an officer job. The foot in the door towards that is shiptoshore/res work.
>>
>>1145241
>This varies by line, and by section of the world within that line.

But this thread was about Carnival and the post I was responding to directly was about Carnival so their racial makeup is what Ibwas addressing. The area is the Carribean, ships porting out of Florida.
>>
>>1145268
So, what is your race dude? What degree do you have?
>>
>>1145241
Good post, but as an American Merchant Marine Officer, that's not how being an officer works. Any job you can just walk onto a cruise ship will be in the hotel or entertainment departments. They don't have officers for those departments, unless it's the department head, who is an officer by virtue of title alone. You're thinking of Deck or Engine officers, who can be recruited in a very different manner than other staff. That said, once you're on the ship, ask around if you're interested in that kind of stuff. Most anywhere in the world, becoming an officer is a years long orderal, involving college and internships (cadetships). Otherwise working up through the rates can take as long or longer, without the benefit of a degree.

That said, I was a Deck Cadet on NCL's Pride of America, a hell of a lot of work ( for deck department at least) but loads of fun too, trapped in paradise.
>>
I have an interview with a Mediterranean line on Wed. Im pretty confident ill get the job, probably customer service stuff. What kind of stuff can I expect? Is this a good way to travel for cheap?
>>
OP here I'm an American and I got hired as a Youth Staff. The hiring process was pretty easy as far as getting the job. The process of getting on the ship is extensive though. I've thrown down around $1000 in training and background/ medical appointments. (Which is why I'm hoping this is worth it!)
>>
>>1145713
>(Which is why I'm hoping this is worth it!)
Huh? Do you not know what it pays? Are you uncertain if you like children? Are you relying on some kind of promotion? What's with all the ethnicity questions...you have used really strange language in all your questions.
>>
>>1145741 OP didn't ask any ethnicity questions. Other people asked him and others. This is OPs first response >>1145713
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.