[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solo Travel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: solo.jpg (55KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
solo.jpg
55KB, 620x387px
I am 19m and interested in solo travel.
Mainly either adventure or activities holiday.
I've never done it before, and I'll admit the main reason to wanting to do it is because I don't have any friends anymore.

Has anyone here traveled solo before, I presume plenty of you have. And also how old were you when you did and if people my age usually do that?
Any other advice is also welcome

Thanks
>>
Where r u from?
>>
File: anglosaxon.png (95KB, 646x976px) Image search: [Google]
anglosaxon.png
95KB, 646x976px
>>1144167
England
>>
where do you want to go to?
for how long?
>>
>>1144173
dont really know yet

id like to go to a few different countries over 2 weeks, but i would also be happy with a fixed activities resort for 1 week

i have quite a bit of money to spend so maybe both idk

i just want to get out of here and do something exciting

ive thought about it but haven't decided on any fixed plan yet. i want to know if solo travel is a good idea at my age first off really
>>
I solo travel because my friends have families and babies or are just too broke to travel.

I didn't travel that much though, so I can't give you much advises, besides the obvious "be outgoing and step out of your comfort zone"
If someone asks me who I'm with or whatever, I either reply with "I was supposed to come with my girlfriend, but we broke up a few weeks ago and thought fuck it, I'm still gonna go".

I also tell people I'm a police officier in my country (which is a lie). I believe this make people less likely to wanna fuck me over, and also brings a feeling of security to other female travellers I meet.

Bring book(s) and a journal so you can write down your thoughts and whatnot
>>
>>1144176
Nice

I don't think i'm bothered about lying personally, I mean I may as well be honest. I don't like it when people lie to make people respect them, I don't think it works really.
I'd just say something like:
"I wanted to go and I barely spoke to any of my friends since leaving school and I'm the only one who has a bit of dosh anyway. So since I'm a stronk independent black woman who dont need no friends i fucked off for a fortnight."

>"What do you do?"
"Fuck all, quit my job cause I hated it and went travelling. I'll sort it out when I'm back"

If I lied I'd only look like a major insecure faggot once they found out it was bollocks.

I am a pretty good bullshitter though, I told my teacher at school years ago and made up loads of stuff and everyone believed it. I think some of them still do lol
That's not lying though that's telling stories, makes everyone's day better. Just like Jesus did. :D
>>
>>1144181
Forgot to complete my sentence properly.

I told my teacher I was a Ninja and me and my ninja pals go around jumping off buildings and shit. Training for the Japanese military.

I also tell some people my grandad invented corned beef pasties but greggs the bakers nicked him and took his recipe.

I'll still probably do that because that's my personality.
>>
>>1144165
Went to Nepal when I was 18. Finished highschool and failed to get into Medicine (which is a lottery in The Netherlands). Worked for half a year and then signed up with a volunteering programm inside a hospital. Therefore stayed 2 months in Kathmandu.
Last month I travelled (on my own) through parts of Nepal. Still am proud of the moment I decided to go to Bardiya National Park (which is in the west of Nepal and is kinda far from where tourists go). Took the bus which rides like 18 hours from Pokhara. Was the only foreigner, and as I was unexperienced I sat the whole tour with my big backpack on my lap. Was afraid they would steal it of the bus. Now I'd be fine with anything. But those 18 hours, in which I actually didn't really know if I was in the right bus, are really a good memory to me.

Went to Vietnam and Thailand on my own (and enjoyed it). This year I went with a friend to Myanmar, there's many reasons it wasn't as good as expected but I know for sure I will be travelling alone next time. Unless I get a girlfriend or something.
>>
>>1144204
I didn't give any advice though.

What's most important is the destination. In Vietnam I really didn't care if I were alone or with folks. But out of 40 days I only ate by myself like 4 nights. The rest of the time I really didn't do anything to get attention or whatsoever.
I'll give some examples, but first will tell you what I look/am like:
I grow some shitty ass beard, wear just easy clothes (like a zip-pants but then without the zip) and a random t-shirt. I rarely wear sunglasses. Don't listen to music all the time, just take a book with you and be prepared to sit in the city center for some hours and read the book and watch the surrounding. I also stay at cheap places and try to talk to the owner. In Vietnam I helped several with English for their websites/menus/photographs.

I was travelling from Dalat, Vietnam, to Hoi An, which is a 16 hour busride or something. On the way it stops at Nha Trang (or some russian beach shit town). As we stopped at some restaurant I didn't bother eating yet so I just strolled around town and chased some little piglets. For some reason two french girls /women (about 29 yo) approached me and we talked some. Just be patient and nice (which is a personal trait I own). We had dinner in the beachtown. We drank some alcohol in Hoi An and had dinner for two nights. They brought up why they approached me: I looked interesting, just being away from the group and be more adventurous etc. At this point I was thinking whether they were hitting on me as well, but once the subject of age was brought up the vibe went down (I told them I was 22 yo, which was true, should've lied).

Other story: in Dalat I was checking in a hostel as others were checking out, only said hi to them. In Hoi An I was swimming by myself in the ocean as some folks are like shouting to me. I'm like WTF. It was the couple I just waved goodbye in Dalat. We had 2 nights with eachother and I met them in SaPa where we arranged a hike and sleep at local homes.
>>
>>1144208
Lol, still no advice:
- Be different than 'I want to party' guys, unless you want to party, but then it's super duper easy to meet folks.
- Stay at hostels
- Think about what kinda people you want to meet, for example: I like people who enjoy the whole day, instead of drinking too much booze in the evening and passing out till after-noon. So I wake up at like 6 am (as the locals do) and enjoy some breakfast at the hostel. Other people with the same ideas of travelling will do so too.
- Don't have earplugs in all the time.
- Spend much time sitting somewhere, that way you are approachable.
- Use tripadvisor/wikitravel to find sort of hidden gems for bars/restaurants. You'll meet more interesting people there.
- Just be nice in general, if you rent a motorbike and you see someone hiking the road towards a sunset spot (for example) give them a ride. Even if they reject you'll maybe see eachother later and have an excuse to talk about.
- go to places the big crowds don't go, you'll be one of the few tourists there and they tend to mix better.
- do some tours if you want to. Especially hikes are a good way to meet people, you're forced to walk but are able to talk as well.
>>
I am 21, I would love to do a solo backpacking trip. I have a girlfriend and I am a student and I am poor so it's not really viable for me but I will do it one day.

Dude if you have the money, and the free time you should definitely do it. Your schedule is only going to get more and more filled up as you age so I feel like now is the easiest time to travel.

I hear SEA is dirt cheap so you could backpack around there for awhile and your money will go further than it would in Europe.
>>
Go to music festivals. Even if you're alone, you'll meet friends for life. And usually, music fest folk love traveling. Travel with them. Music festivals are like the epitome of first world existence, just go to one, have a happy time, talk to people, express interest in making friendships, and good things happen.
>>
>>1144204
>>1144208
>>1144212
your blog sucks.
>>
>>1144170
How many money do u have?
>>
>>1144204
So what did you end up doing instead of medicine?
>>
>>1144165
>Lying about why you are alone
That's a bit sad man, there's nothing wrong with solo travel, you don't need to make up an excuse
>Telling people you are a cop
Doesn't most everyone hate cops?

Anyway OP basically all my travel has been solo and it's been great. You can be independent and no one slows you down.
>>
>>1144229
£30,000
Obviously not planning on spending all of it lol

But hey live and let live
>>
>>1144275
It wasn't me who said that it was another anon

This was my response
>>1144181

I very rarely tell any lies. I can't recall a time where I lied off the top of my head, I've learned it to be a waste of time and a quick way to lose someone's trust and respect
>>
>>1144275
Oh I lie mainly for women
Telling em I'm alone because I just dumped my gf = Within 2 minutes of conversation they know I'm available

For the cop thing, I'm actually a janitor, and there's really nothing interesting or exciting about that job. I chose "cop" as my fake job, and tell them I'm a shooting instructor/high-speed driving instructor/ part time cop. Being alone in a foreign country can be scary sometimes for a woman travelling solo, so they feel secured to spend a few days travelling with a cop who's "got their back".
Again, I will tell the truth to a man or a group of men.

When you're travelling solo and nobody knows you, you can be anyone you want.
Back home I'm just a janitor that lives in a tiny appartment and works out at the gym. Overseas, I'm a superhero and the coolest guy you will ever meet.
I
>>
DESU i dont know how people travel with other people. It seems like there is a lot of compromise and planning that would with traveling as a group. Also I travel to get away from home and away from my sense of self, being with people that are familiar seems counter-intuitive to me.

I didn't realize OPs question is a legitimate concern. Does that say something bad about me?
>>
>>1144165
I backpacked around India for two months solo just after I turned 18.

Was a good experience, enhanced somewhat by my lack of expectations.

Travelling alone is far more rewarding than travelling with others. But it can send you a bit crazy.

Can be dangerous at a young age aswell. Half way through my India trip I found myself without a passport, sleeping rough in Goa, loaded up on cocaine, booze and mandy.

It's not uncommon for under 20's to entertain the idea of 'getting away' alone, but from what if observed, few actually do.
>>
File: 1468578377973.jpg (47KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1468578377973.jpg
47KB, 500x375px
>>1144183
>>1144181
Jesus Christ, you are autistic. Please do not travel, you are legitimately a fucking idiot.
>>
>>1144322
>so they feel secured to spend a few days travelling with a cop who's "got their back".

You are one mighty delusional faggot. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so miserably pathetic.

Actually it's still pretty funny.
>>
>>1144620
>you are one mighty delusional faggot

Delusional? There's nothing delusional about it.
Would you feel safer travelling with one of your friend that's an amateur mma fighter or another guy that is a web designer?
Would you feel more comfortable on a snowy dangerous road knowing the driver is a pro rally driver?

I've had chicks literally tell me "thank god I found a cool cop out here, so many creeps keep staring at me"
>>
>>1144626
>"thank god I found a cool cop out here"

Okay. At this point I'm going to suggest getting on some sort of medication for these delusions. Literally nobody, in the history of all time and written word, has ever strung together that sentence. Let alone when talking to some teenage neet tourist.

Good god man. Seek help.
>>
>>1144631
What are you mad about though? The fact "cop" is my fake job or the fact I'm lying?
>>
>>1144626
Bwahaha!

Thanks, anon. I think we all needed the laugh.
>>
>>1144642
no problem man, I'm glad you got a laugh out of it
>>
File: Kapczynski_PilgrimsWay_trail-adj.jpg (225KB, 1000x808px) Image search: [Google]
Kapczynski_PilgrimsWay_trail-adj.jpg
225KB, 1000x808px
>>1144165
Did the Camino de Santiago at age 19. Was a pretty good time.
>>
>>1144634
You seem uncomfortable with yourself. Travel should not be a time to pretend you are someone else so that you can "be cool", it is a time to be wholly and completely yourself, because you are cool. You are someone who is traveling the world, which is cool as fuck, and yeah you pay for it by working as a janitor. So many people die never leaving their home country. Your job does not reflect who you are, it's just a means to an end, as is mine (usually, I've no job atm lol). You should tell people who you really are, or else what happens if a relationship starts to blossom with them? It's self sabotage
If you get 100 people to love you when you lie about who you are, what is that worth? One good relationship with someone who really knows you is actually of value
Anyway even if all that wasn't true and it wasn't a terrible idea to lie about yourself, "cop" is literally the uncoolest job title in the English language
>>
As a 19 year old you won't have a problem at all. Lots of people your age solo travel and hang out at party hostels especially in Europe. Find the cheapest party hostel around and it should be filled with people your age.

You don't need to make up anything about why you're solo. I haven't been to hostels in Europe but everywhere in Asia/Africa/S America the hostels are maybe 50% full of solo travelers.
>>
From what solo traveling I've done and what I've done with others, you should have the "Whatever happens happens," mentality. Don't make the mistake of setting an itinerary and stressing if you don't make it, because often you'll make great friends along the way and end up in a cooler place than you intended to be.

>be solo traveling in Puerto Rico
>want to see a large telescope in the interior
>the thing's closed, drove 2 hours for nothing
>dicked around and just drove for a few hours
>found amazing pizza joints in the mountains, ancient ceremonial grounds, and a cave overlooking the countryside from a cliff, and talked to a shaman

Just go with the flow, and talk to people if you can. I get OP's pain, I don't have too many friends myself. As of now I'm looking to make a bf who will travel with me someday, I have some loose plans made up. OP, enjoy yourself alone, but realize that sharing your experience with someone else is the best thing you can do.
>>
Virtually all my international travelling is done solo (SoCal fag here). Part of it is because I can't be arsed to make the kind of effort necessary to plan with friends, since you most likely have to make a lot of compromises to make things work.

I'm turning 26 in September, and I went travelling solo for the first time when I was 19 or 20. I was born in Italy, so I mostly went visiting there at first because there was still a sense of familiarity even when I wasn't with my family there. When I started going to other countries, though, it felt incredible; you really feel like you're out discovering new things.

I'm currently in Ibiza for the first time (Leaving for a boat party in Playa D'en Bossa in a bit) and being able to explore this city on my own has been a lot of fun so far, to say nothing of the clubbing experience.

tl;dr travelling solo is great, and you have the benefit of already being in Europe
>>
>>1144731
are you a homo or a girl?
i always thought girls on 4chan was just a meme
>>
File: 1464372903225.png (23KB, 151x184px) Image search: [Google]
1464372903225.png
23KB, 151x184px
>>1144606
a sexy idiot
>>
Solo is always the best way to go places. I'm in my 20ies. I jump on momondo.com to look for the best prices on budget flights and off I go. Don't forget all the necessary stuff, tho. If you're from England, there are plenty (well, not too muany, really) places to see/camp/climb/hike/cycle/etc.
Some of these places:
Snowdonia. In Wales.
Lake District.
Peak District.
Then there is always Scotland.

Good luck!
>>
>Lying about why you're travelling
>Lying about travelling alone

You guys are like the "yeah I have a girlfriend, but you wouldn't know her she's Canadian" of the travelling world.

Why bother lying. No-one gives a shit. Infact half the people I speak to travelling are fellow loners backpacking by themselves or "my gf dumped me so I quit my job and flew to Europe for 3 months" types anyway.

The other 50% of travellers are normies in a big group who take selfies infront of the Eiffel tour then move onto the next capital city, and they're usually just impressed that you're alone because the thought of doing anything alone petrifies them.
>>
>>1144822
I fucking hope so, otherwise you're just an autist.
>>
>>1144165
I did a motorcycle tour of the US after college, I was 22. It's fantastic. It got a little lonely for the central US, but tinder is a lifesaver. You seem super insecure though, I wouldn't recommend it for you.
>>
18 year old brazilian here, I'll be solo travelling to Austria/Slovakia/Hungary in january 2017. I also have some doubts about going solo for the first time, I'm a pretty shy guy,so I hope I'll be able to step out of my comfort zone a bit.
>>
>>1144626
ahhahah jesus christ. you tell them youre a cop and a PRO RALLY DRIVER? dude. what the fuck is wrong with you
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.