[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heartbroken, depressed and need to leave

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

What places would you recommend someone visit if they just needed to get away for an undetermined amount of time, from a month or so to a couple of years, or more? I'm in the UK btw.

Have you ever felt the need to leave it all behind? Did you do it and did it help?
>>
File: 1468882270093.gif (73KB, 69x120px) Image search: [Google]
1468882270093.gif
73KB, 69x120px
Thats what im doing bro, fucking bitch broke my heart. Might kill myself but Im going to have a nice trip in the least. Wish I had something uplifting to say, but all i can offer is that im in the same shitboat.
>>
>Have you ever felt the need to leave it all behind?
Yeah, a fixation on escapism-oriented travel is common with young adults, it's the engine that drives this board in fact
>Did you do it and did it help?
I traveled a lot when I was in my angsty years, same as I did when I was a child, and same as I do now. You can, as you said, treat it like a drug, and it does provide a temporary escape. But then you return to reality and none of your problems have changed.

Much like drugs and alcohol, you'll be happier in the long run if you get your shit together and use travel to enrich an already good life.

Or you can do what some of my friends did and go off the deep end and become a dirtbag expat. Your life will revolve around cheap beer, your close bubble of English-speaking friends, and your token local friends that you use to convince yourself that you've "made it" as an international man or woman of mystery. This seems very interesting when you're in your early 20s but "this is my life" catches up with you, as it will no matter where. So then you return home and try to have a go at it as a normie, but all you know now is escapism. So you go back to your dirtbag expat life because at least that way, you can blame your permanent "lack of fitting in" on your environment. Just as you would have back home, but you feel that this reflects less poorly on you if "the local culture" is hidebound conservatism. Although you just love their exotic ways and they are really much more genuine than the shallow, materialistic countrymen that you left behind.
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 620x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 620x800px
I think I was drunk practicing a suicide note and I was looking at quotes to add at the end, then I saw this, that saved my life. I saved up money sold me car and now traveling. I find I meet a lot of other long term travelers who are "running from something" I am, depressed recovering alcoholic. All I want to do is save up and travel, until what I can assume will be me taking my own life.
>>
>>1144078
If this upsets you it's because you know he's right.
>>
>>1144078
I just screen shot your post, it's perfect
>>
>>1144078
>dirtbag expat
Honestly, I would love to pack up and move outside the country.

I'm unemployed, living in a flyover state. Before moving here, I lived in Northern California working in DB management. Moving back to the West Coast is ideal, but moving overseas is definitely appealing as well. I wouldn't move for an English teaching position though.
>>
>>1144078
top post

that said, not all poorer expats are dirtbags. just most of them

honestly, the west is pretty fucked up at this point. it's hard to pretend that being surrounded by drugs, broken families, television, facebook, and obese women is having "made it" despite however much money you might make. what does any of that get you on the weekends, when you're basically just waiting for death?

in my estimation, materialism, greed, and sjw culture has destroyed nearly every country in the west.

if someone makes the legitimate attempt to adapt to a foreign language and setting, even if they're "poor" by western standards, if they're surrounded by a more traditional culture, a family they've made for themselves, and dirtbag expats who at least they have rituals and camaraderie with, I'd say that' still better than what most people have back home.

yeah, being unable to tell jokes well sucks. it wears on you after a while. there are worse things. that's why you have your dirtbag expat friends, who probably aren't going anywhere.

OP you're not just restless because you're young. you're restless because our modern culture is fucked and gives you NOTHING. if you want to break free, you need to approach this practically, and not get trapped into the cycle of addition the above poster was talking about.
>>
>>1144078
/board
>>
>>1144707
Op in 10 years living in denial as a dirtbag expat detected
>>
>>1144078
Completely over thinking it, what's wrong with a life revolving around cheap beer and friends exeactley? If it brings you enjoyment, than just do it. Don't over analys your life or you will end up like this grumpy guy
>>
>>1144850
When you get older you'll realize that some people have opinions that aren't related to armchair speculation. Hopefully you can take some life lessons from those people even though it seems like you know everything at this age
>>
>>1144072
>fucking bitch broke my heart

Sleep with 10 new girls and then tell me more about how you miss her.
If you're not able to sleep with 10 new girls within the next 2-3 months or so, then work on it. Work on yourself so you have more success with woman and losing one won't matter that much
>>
>>1144070
Do HelpX
>>
>>1144104
Are you still active? I am just interested and was wondering if I could ask you some questions or maybe add you on skype or something like that?
>>
>>1144078
10/10
life lesson right there
>>
I'm twenty three and I haven't left Arizona except once when I visited LA for three days. I am struck with a desire to travel but have no money and no real world experiences.

When I was a Sophomore, I applied for study abroad to Austria because I took German, but my parents told me it'd be easier for everyone if I just stayed. My sister iced me out and I felt nothing but guilt. Now I finally graduated with a degree and regret not going abroad. At the very least I want to travel to Texas. How shit is my dream
>>
>>1145459
Dunno man, I've been all around the world and I'd love to go to Texas.
Bear in mind that travel doesn't have to be expensive; I don't usually spend money on anything besides flights and food.
Stick out your thumb and the only thing between you and the end of the world is some customs forms and the Darien Gap.
>>
>>1144078
OK well if you're so darn lucid,
>So then you return home and try to have a go at it as a normie, but all you know now is escapism
This is me right now. What should I do if not go back to my "dirtbag expat life"?
>>
>>1144078
>Your life will revolve around cheap beer, your close bubble of English-speaking friends, and your token local friends that you use to convince yourself that you've "made it" as an international man or woman of mystery. This seems very interesting when you're in your early 20s but "this is my life" catches up with you, as it will no matter where.

And suddenly I am not going to apply for those finance jobs in UAE
>>
>>1144070
How much money do you have saved? Go spend a few months in Thailand and the Philippines, you won't remember this chick's name within a week.
>>
>>1144070
>>1144072

I'm in the UK too, going through a divorce atm, I just don't fucking get the whole travelling-alone thing though. Especially after going everywhere with that bitch.
>>
>>1144070
rent an apartment in venice in the off season during a biennale year.
I came back feeling like a different person, its socompletely different than the uk, and its such a slower pace of life
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.