[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, as a certified dunce, I was windexing if any of you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: An_Idiot_Abroad_2010_Intertitle.png (17KB, 624x336px) Image search: [Google]
An_Idiot_Abroad_2010_Intertitle.png
17KB, 624x336px
Hey guys, as a certified dunce, I was windexing if any of you have used a fixer/guide for a journey? Like a translator that shows you around to the lesser known places? Does this exist, if so, how do I find one?

Tldr dumb neckbeard needs translator/guide pls halp
>>
>>1143917
Lol wondering*
>>
Nothing wrong with that, but don't you think that there would be a fee if you ever found one?

You'd better search for a tour guide online first before moving around.
>>
>>1143921
Oh I plan on paying for this, I just don't know how to go about looking for people
>>
>>1143924
And to be clear I have googled fixers, but they seem to only respond to movie producers and whatnot, and I'm looking for a more personal guide.
>>
>>1143932
This is becoming a meme on this board, but, t.b.h., the best way is to find a woman. And this applies outside of South East Asia. I have done this in Europe, as well, as an American. 2nd would be to go to a hostel, or speak with hotel receptionist, bartenders. They often know places and people. Also, have gone on a package tour in Mexico, and asked the guide for a private tour after or just for suggestions.
>>
>>1143932
Then tell them that you're making some travel blog.

It's nice to ask around coffee shops or bars for a start.
>>
>>1143938
Lol maybe I should actually make a travel blog. I am mostly interested in having a translator, and I guess a local would be the best fit for a translater/guide combo. Do you have experience doing this? I'm pretty social but I wouldn't know how to start that conversation.
>>
>>1143936
My fiancé might not aprove of the first suggestion, but hiring a guide for a private tour sounds like a good call. I'll have to look into different tour packages, maybe I can contact then and set it up without taking the main tour
>>
>>1143943
I hear there are excellent guides for hire in Peru
>>
>>1143946
That is actually the first country I wanted to visit
>>
>>1143941
I haven't really got the cash to travel OP, I'm still stuck at that phase where you have to make a living out of something.
>>
>>1143949
Someone I knew hired a few guides there in the Andes. They were college educated and spoke Spanish, Quecha and English. Cheap too, like $20/day plus meals, which is a good wage for them.

You don't want to look into tour operators, they travel with you and cost a bunch. You just want to find locals in places you are staying and then hire them during the day.
>>
>>1143975
Fair enough, thanks for the advice
>>
If you're in Bulgaria and I have time I'll do it for free desu. I'm already signed up with an Israeli anon that is visiting.
>>
>>1144114
What's an email I can reach you at?
>>
>>1143917
>Hey guys, as a certified dunce, I was windexing if any of you have used a fixer/guide for a journey? Like a translator that shows you around to the lesser known places? Does this exist, if so, how do I find one?
>Tldr dumb neckbeard needs translator/guide pls halp
Where are you going? The answer will vary.

The word "fixer" is more about being in a situation where very bad things might happen, and knowing a language is the only way to get out of corrupt police, corrupt border agents, frequent crime. These people do the greasing of palms, are incredible con artist types that have charisma and people skills like only one of your homeboys would get in respect, not some foreigner waving his capitalist money. This person is the go between, and the guy who makes promises, grants favors, and all because they vouch for you, and have enough details of your forward plans such that the police won't get caught in the bribe.
Bourdain used one, that lovable rough russian guy Zamir. Zamir had a black market upbringing, as did everyone of his age group. In the Bourdain situation it is a hollywood term too, a fixer is used in film production, especially for filming in some remote site. While you are at home, you are simply a producer, a jack of all trades with oversight, direction, the money, even writing decisions or whatever else you want to do. Producers go out and recruit guests/extras, pre interview them, make their travel arrangements, get filming permits, you name it.

What you want is a tour or personal guide. The level of which is up to your budget. You can hire someone cool to take you on a gastronomic tour, walking tour, pub tour, alone, or allow them to add up to a dozen others to reduce your fee and make it worth their time as well. Sometimes they prearrange, restaurant prix fixe, party rooms, special menus. Sometimes they know the owners and get you special reserve brews only locals enjoy (even moonshine).
>>
File: 20160716_204230.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20160716_204230.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
>>1144344
Check'd.
shakalakamutafuka gmail com
>>
>>1144348
I have used private tours in the past. They come about various ways. You can pay for some random person who approaches you, say at the Vatican and take your chance they are outstanding, or only so-so. Some tours are "free" like walking tours and advertised in local websites and papers, and you call or be at the prearranged usual meeting spot and time. The "free" or "pay at the end" is really hit or miss, where you tip the person at the end what fee you felt they were worth to you. A really charismatic person delights people and can get great tips and they know it. They have to draw you in first with the "Free" thing, and frankly, the 3rd world economy of their country means they very much get what their time is worth in local wages that is peanuts to visitors. A students time is variable and it's a good little job they can do around exams, as workload permits.
Sometimes you ask a concierge or two, or three at various hotels, front desk ppl, owners of businesses that serve the tourists. I have had great success at jewelry shops, after making a purchase, for some reason. They have time to chat, and know some cousin or something with a nice car to drive you out to the pyramids or how you some good things at the music hall they play at, or some family friend who owns such and such restaurant. Rich people all seem to know each other, the world over.
When a place is semi-dangerous, the kind of plce with taxi ripoffs, like Budapest or Greece, you use your hotel to give you their vetted driver, say to/from the airport as a limo, and if you find you liked the guy enough (safe driver), and good chatty personality, ask him about your plan to go to such and such you heard good things about. 50% of the time, they talk about it and by the end of the conversation they are telling you they'd do it for you, if you waited 48 hours for their day off or can be up at 7am ready. They'l give you their price, and at the end you raise it like 20% for tip.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.