[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the Caucasus region like? Is it worth visiting? Which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (40KB, 320x311px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 320x311px
What is the Caucasus region like? Is it worth visiting? Which of the countries is the most interesting?
Has anyone here been there?
>>
I've been to Georgia and I really recommend it
>>
>>1143151
(Not op)
How's khinkali and the wine? Any recommendations for monasteries? Nice towns by the Black Sea?
>>
>>1143139
bampitty

im interested in going to Armenia, is it feasible without knowing Russian/Armenian? Could i get into trouble for having a Karabakh stamp (as a EU citizen) if i went there for shits and giggles?
>>
>>1144572
no problem with the language

no problem with the stamp (the give it to you in a separate piece of paper a-la-israel)
>>
>>1144585
cool, thanks a lot!
any absolute must-sees outside of Yerevan? Im especially into landscapes/hiking
>>
>>1144585
They just stuck it into my passport like a regular visa, but I don't mind. I went less than a year ago.
Language was no issue for me, but every little bit helps of course.
>>
Anyone been to Abkhazia? I've been looking at photos on google earth. It looks so cool I want to tear my hair out.
>>
>>1143139

I've been to Georgia and Armenia. I spent more time in the former and would recommend visiting if you have the chance, although I'm not full of the same glowing reviews as other posters here. It's a decent place but isn't one I'm dying to go back to. Definitely worth checking out if you're in Turkey or the area, or found a cheap flight from wherever you might be.

>>1144667

I haven't been to Abkhazia but the German fellow I traveled from Istanbul to Tbilisi with went there while I moved on to Yerevan and caught a flight to Dubai. Seemed like he had an interesting time. He speaks Russian and said the area is very Russified. I remember he used to have a picture of himself on Facebook holding an AK-47 that a soldier or member of a local militia had let him check out. I think he met a few Poles there but mentioned there weren't many other tourists. One of the funny things he related was that drunk driving is legal in Abkhazia, provided only that you're going below a certain speed.
>>
>>1144774
>or found a cheap flight from wherever you might be
Wizzair from Eastern Europe to Kutaisi.
>>
File: DSCN2008.jpg (4MB, 5152x3864px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN2008.jpg
4MB, 5152x3864px
>>1144589
I have been to Armenia. I love it and I am dying to get back.
I spent most of my time inside of Yerevan and there is a lot to see there.
Outside of Yerevan there is a lot of beautiful landscape, churches and tempels.
I can recommend the Garni Temple and the geghard monastery. (they are quite close to eachother.)

Anyone got any tip for Georgia?
>>
>>1144589
well, I specially liked it outside of yerevan, even though yerevan was more pleasant than I had expected. I specially liked the south (Goris and surrounding area) and Dilijan. Also I went from Goris to Dilijan stopping on the way and was also pretty cool. The monasteries in the north in the way to Tbilisi are nice as well but the other two areas beat them IMO
>>
File: 20160617_110531.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160617_110531.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>1145271
I have been in Georgia.

Personally I like nature, so I spent most of my time hiking and visiting more remote locations along the Caucasus.
The views are crazy and you can get to some really remote villages and places that just don't see tourists.

That's kind of my thing. Cheap horse riding, decent rafting, cheap Skiing in season, and pretty good mountaineering for all levels.

They are Christian and serious about it, the place is flooded with Churches, old places and ruins, those are recommended as well.

I think Georgia has the bast nature in the Caucasus, possibly rivaled by Russia, but the access there is atrocious and some parts are still dangerous in the North east.
>>
File: 20160625_123133.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160625_123133.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
Been to Georgia and Kabardino-Balkaria twice. Spent almost two months there in total, seen quite a bit by now, and plan on going back for more mountaineering/nature/culture/random hospitality leading to drunken evenings. The latter have consistently happened once a week in Georgia.

>>1143183
Khinkali: tasty but quite filling, usually ordered in fives. Wine varies in quality but there's gems to be found. Generally sweeter than average. Haven't really spent much time visiting the Black Sea coast, and was birdwatching in Sakharvasho most if the time. One if the best places for that in the world, we saw ~40000 birds of prey that day. That's not a typo. Beaches can be either very clean or full of rubbish.

Was usually forced to skip monasteries but Davit Gareji is really nice. Look for Gareji line on fb for easiest and cheapest way to get there from Tbilisi.

>>1146568
Definitely rivalled by Russia. Haven't seen that much from that side of the Caucasus, but what I saw was amazing.
Pic is Mt Elbrus, Russia.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.