[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to learn Arabic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: image.gif (59KB, 511x605px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
59KB, 511x605px
Been traveling for three months now around Europe and I've been trying to study Arabic. Question is does anyone have experience traveling in any Arabic speaking countries that you think would be the safest right now? I'm planning to go to Morocco next month and will volunteer (work away) at a English school and from there I'll fly to Israel to say hi to some old travel friends. I would like to continue traveling into the Middle East. I am a US citizen so I might just be fucked. Any advice?
>>
1. Get to terms with the fact that you're not going to learn "Arabic".

2. When you get to Israel make absolutely sure you get a stamp on a separate sheet of paper on your passport, otherwise kiss Arab countries goodbye from that point onward.
>>
>>1142448
Yeah, been aware that a lot of neighboring countries will refuse entry with a Israeli stamp. Just talked to a traveler and she assured me everyone gets the stamp on a piece of paper.
>>
Oman is perfect in every way. First-world country, literally zero political instability, incredible nature, decent people, coolest castles you've ever seen, (though not as nice as you'll find in Morocco)
Ain't nothing wrong with Jordan either; their tourist industry is somehow holding together even with all the anti-Arab press.
I hear Egypt is doable right now, though I can't speak from firsthand experience.
Are you learning MSA? Are you planning on picking up Darija once in Morocco?
>>
>>1142454
oops, I mean the people aren't as nice as in Morocco. Omani castles are superior.
>>
>>1142445
Arabic speaking countries everyone will talk to you in English
>>
>>1142454
Oman was one that I really wanted to go to and from I can find (on the Internet) it's one of the safest right now. I want to do Jordan because seeing Petra has been on my bucket list for the last 10 years. The programs that I have been studying are MSA, right now I'm learning a few phrases but mostly practicing my writing and learning how to connect the alphabet. I understand that the dialects change a lot country to country, but really hoping to get my writing down the next few months.
>>
Arab-Israeli here
My suggestion is to learn arabic in jordan, it's pretty standard levant arabic there, and given that the city of Amman is a melting-pot where you find middle easterners from everywhere you'll likely get used to the other dialects as well, moroccan arabic is totally different
>>1142448
Nowadays Israel gives you a separate piece of paper, they don't stamp passports anymore
>>
>>1142445

Well if you'll be in Israel, Palestine is a good place to learn Arabic. It's much safer than you'd think, and I found Ramallah to be much more developed and pleasant than the other major Middle Eastern cities I've been too.

Otherwise, Cairo is safe by Arab standards, and the Egyptian dialect is probably the most widely understood Arabic dialect (arabic dialects vary so much they may as well be different languages). Not sure I'd recommend Morocco for that reason, their dialect is so strong it'd be the equivalent of learning a strong Scottish accent if you were trying to learn English.

If safety it your absolute main priority, Dubai has plenty of Arabic language schools, some of which are very cheap. Dubai and the majority of the Gulf (with the exception of Oman) have all the culture of a Pizza Hut with beheadings, though.
>>
>>1142445

Go to Germany or France to learn Arabic instead. It's generally safer there
>>
>>1142448
This might be of interest:

http://www.theexpeditioner.com/2012/03/14/are-you-banned-from-certain-countries-if-you-have-an-israeli-stamp-in-your-passport/
>>
>>1142477
But if you switch to Arabic, you are usually tretaed like royalty -- the iplied respect for local customs is hugely appreciated, and they will often assume you are a Muslim convert and add an extra layer of hospitality. How to handle that is tricky... you sure the fuck do not want to be caught out in a lie about your religion.
>>
>>1142445
I'm sure your best bet is to learn it from someone local while you're working in Morocco and have some time on your hands.
General advice if I were trying to do this without social media, though it can be a way to find a foodie blogger to hang with (you'll notice everyone hangs with them, from Anthony Bourdain to Rick Steves). Talk to restaurant owners/waiters if there is an opening to do so, go to a museum, hotel concierge, college hangout area...mention to everyone nice that you meet that you're looking for a local friend, someone who could be a semi-tour guide (between work types, student, retired person), that wouldn't mind meeting you 2-3x/week for some coffee, a sight, and a chat to practice Arabic. Find the expat hangouts and ask around there, too, because they know your home language enough to really correct you well. Bookstore owner might be a nice place to meet an intellectual. Ride together to a botanical garden, estate tour, some hike, some view, or dine somewhere beyond their normal income, and pick up the check. Use your travel time and afternoon together walking around a park or museum and chatting. You won't have much time in your other travels other than beautiful Israel, where you'll notice a lot of trilingualism. Not sure how long you'll be there? It'll be a good place to practice too.

There is nothing at all that could get me to travel in any middle east country this month, aside from Israel. Be very careful anon. Keep a low profile and register with your embassy's safe traveler program.
>>
>>1142908
>There is nothing at all that could get me to travel in any middle east country this month
Willful ignorance. It's this brand of narcissism/cowardice which is damaging the world, not so-called terrorism.
>>
>>1143022
Woah. Give back your unearned psychology degree and get your own therapy, before you damage yourself further with that oversensitive chip you have on your shoulder. There might be frontal lobe damage, either self-inflicted or genetic that can't calculate odds properly when given documented risk. I bet you play the lottery and have unprotected sex. Just a guess.

No one but you thinks crime statistics towards foreigners (let alone terrorism) in the middle east doesn't exist because they choose not to make themselves aware, and that someone traveling exactly where they want (or don't want) is damaging the world. ROFL.
>>
>>1143022
Lol, you're an idiot
>>
>>1143044
>>1143036
Stirring arguments both.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.