[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amsterdam Travel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 1

File: amsterdam.jpg (194KB, 1280x700px) Image search: [Google]
amsterdam.jpg
194KB, 1280x700px
I have a seven hour layover in Amsterdam. Anyone familiar with how far the hubs are from the airport? Anything niche that I might miss looking around online (in reference to food, sights, etc.)?

I don't have any interest in legal marijuana.
>>
I literally just came back from a trip with two very long layovers in Schipol Airport.

It's extremely easy to get from the airport to the city center on a very nice and relaxing train ride.

Here's a tip: DON'T PAY FOR THE TRAIN. Literally nobody checks those tickets so it's a total waste of money.
I paid for mine and I regretted it, especially since I ended up hating Amsterdam.

Anyways, seven hours is not too long of a layover, so I would recommend either walking around and going on a canal cruise, or finding just one museum of interest from Tripadvisor and going to it...though you may find yourself rushing through it.

The only Dutch foods worth noting are stroopwafels and pickled herring, so yeah, there's not much going on there. Just go to an Albert Heijn food store and get some candies or something like that.
>>
>>1140654
I wanted to add that the train station is inside the airport and goes to Amsterdam Centraal station.

So just pay attention to Schipol and Amsterdam Centraal when going back and forth.
>>
I really enjoyed the Van Gogh museum
>>
>>1140654
>Here's a tip: DON'T PAY FOR THE TRAIN.

I find that's the same all over the few european countries I've been to. Get a ticket at the ticket machine, use the self-validator thing, then no-one checks the ticket!

Of course it does feel a bit scummy ripping off the transport system - it needs to be funded somehow and unless you're that strapped for cash it's an arsehole thing to do.
>>
For some reason I thought the Dutch were famous for their chocolate, but I can't find anything to support that notion online.
>>
>>1140784
dutch process chocolate right?
i had a 11 hour layover, if i did it again i would rent a bicycle and fall in love with the locals so hard that i would ride off the road and into the canal
>>
>>1140784
that would be the Belgians.

Yeah rent a bike and just go around. The city is rather small and it's totally worth it.
>>
>>1140654
what's wrong with amsterdam btw?
>>
>>1140907
It's dirty, expensive, and touristy to the point of not even seeming Dutch (in my experience, Prague has similar issues).

I asked Dutch people on 4chan and they all recommended to visit another city such as Delft.

Maybe you will like it, though. On the plus side, literally everyone speaks English so there will never be a language barrier.
>>
>>1140760
That's the honour system. Funny how honest Europeans are, huh?

It's also untrue that no one ever checks the tickets. It might feel that way if you're passing through one day and don't get checked, but in my experiences, ticket controllers DO lurk. Especially in Germany, you WILL be caught if you don't buy a ticket.

>>1140784
I don't think Dutch chocolate is anything special. If I go to Netherlands, I usually bring back a few jars of that asian (Indonesian) peanut/peanut butter based cooking paste. That shit is divine.

>>1140907
It definitely has some first-class museums and historical sites to check out. Decent restaurants and shops, typical for a big city. The canal systems are pretty on a nice sunny day to stroll around. If you're into marijuana and don't live in a place with easy access, then the coffeeshops are certainly worth a visit (it's hit and miss, prices tend to be inflated, and there are plenty of cringe-inducing places full of stupid tourists, so do shop around). I can understand why people may not like it though. It does have a touristy vibe, there's plenty of sandnigs, and sometimes feels quite 'niet gezellig'.
>>
>>1140920
>dirty
>expensive
I would have said the opposite.
>>
>>1141771
perhaps it depends where in the city you go. the old part around de dam isn't nice, but one you get away from there to the outer canals in whatever neighbourhood i thinks it's definitely clean.

but what would be the most dutch town?
>>
So im going to Amsterdam with some friends.
We have an apartment in the middle of the town.
We will smoke a lot. We will visit Barneys, Abraxas, The Greenhouse, Super skunk and Dampkring. Something else? Whats your favorite weed in Dampkring?

Also we will visit Van Gogh museum. What else you can do there? Please give me some tipps for a great trip.
>>
>>1142944
If it's between the Van Gogh Museum or the Rijksmuseum, I would highly recommend the Rijksmuseum over the first option.
>>
>>1140654
They do check the tickets, but because the train ride between the airport and amsterdam central is so short the chance of getting caught is fairly low.

>>1140920
Seems fairly obvious that if you go to all the touristy shit it wont seem very dutch, because almost everybody in those areas are tourists. If you go to areas just outside the very centre youll find places which are actually much nicer and also where all the dutch people go for drinks or lunch ( such as Jordaan/Oud west/Oud zuid etc)
>>
>>1142946
>Van Gogh Museum or the Rijksmuseum
what else can you visit there? Can you recommend something?
>>
>>1140654
Why risk a 60 euro fine for something that costs you only 10 euros.. don't be a cheapo. You just got lucky.
>>
>>1142965
I have NEVER shown my ticket so I bet it's rather safe if one wants to be a dick.
>>
>>1140654
A ticket from Schiphol to A'dam costs what, 4 euros? They do definitely check for tickets, you have just been lucky, though I agree the chances of getting caught are quite slim on that particular route. If you DO get caught you get fined for like 80 euros though. It's not worth it. Why be cheap about such a mundane price? I'm Dutchfag.
>>
ok again: where should i go to see the "real" Holland. I am looking for lively places with not very many sand niggers but lots of Dutch people obviously?!
>>
>>1144662
Well up in the north (Friesland) are the most Dutch people. Also the tallest people in the world live there (avg height is 184cm I think). The girls are beautiful and there are not a lot of sandniggers.
They also have an own language called Fries.
I think the most Dutch place to go is to the north.
>>
Go to the rijksmuseum. Sickest museum man; insane Historical items of the 'Dutch golden Age'; when we colonized and raped Indonesia and other nations.

Worth seeing to get an idea of "the real holland" and how it was built.

Source: Amsterdam Local.
>>
>>1144675
Then that's where I'll go :) Idea what cities are most fun?
>>
best coffeeshop?
>>
I'm thinking about moving to the Netherlands. Money isn't an issue so with that said what would be an ideal place to live? I would prefer an area that would be ideal for a young adult and has the least amount of hajis. I was also wondering if there are weed shops scattered around the Netherlands or if I can only purchase it in Amsterdam.
>>
>>1144950
coffeeshops are all over the netherlands. But in many regions you need a "Wietpas" to buy something official in a Coffeeshop.

http://www.hanf-samen.kaufen/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/wietpas-karte-holland-coffeeshops.jpg
>>
Going to amsteram in october specifically to take legal drugs and rave, what are the best clubs and coffee shops that aren't tourist traps? some fine dutch techno would be nice
>>
>>1142944
Ride a bike along the canals
Greenhouse is the best
Take a full day/afternoon for the Rijks, that shit is gigantic
At night go to Leidseplein or Rembrandplein but don't try to get in discos stoned af cause they wont let you in (at least the good ones)
One of the best discos i've been in my life was in amsterdam, it was called Trouw...i heard it closed, something about the building but if it has a substitute you should check it
>>
>>1144878

De Tweede Kamer.

Heisteeg 6. Isn't as touristy as most of the coffeeshops already mentioned in this thread and pretty comfy.

>>1145729

Disco Dolly or Club NYX. The latter is something special. It's kind of a gay club, but then again there are plenty of, if not more, straight people. They have a bathroom in the middle of the dancefloor. It's pretty nuts. Bare in mind though that if it isn't a touristy club (such as Escape), it tends to full of hipsters.

It's festival season right now in the Netherlands, so there are also plenty of techno/dance festivals every weekend.
>>
>>1144862
any ideas about nice cities for mid 20s in north?
>>
>>1140920
Prague is only expensive if you haven't the faintest clue of what you're doing. I'd imagine that Amsterdam is more expensive, but the principle remains the same.
>>
beware of gangs of roving youths looking to harass
>>
>>1146341

Tourist trap areas are expensive in Amsterdam (just like any other major city).
>>
>>1144950
Eindhoven or utrecht, Utrecht looks way nicer but eindhoven is on the rise with being center of technology in holland and everything
>>
>>1146543
how about groningen? good your rather young people?
>>
>>1147057
good for*
>>
>>1144950
>>1147057
Coffeeshops are in every city. The biggest cities are of course the most multicultural (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht). These are also the most ideal for young people. There are also young people in Maastricht and Groningen because of the universities but there's not much going on compared to the Randstad.
>>
>>1145948
How does one find open air raves in Amsterdam?
>>
>>1148451
http://www.dance-festivals.nl/
https://www.djguide.nl/events.p/festivals

Heres two websites which give an overview of electronic music festivals. Probably missing some of the smaller festivals in their list. And of course theres also festivals with other genres such as rock but theyre not included in those lists.
>>
>>1146026
the ONLY fun city (for 20s) in the north is Groningen (its a studentcity)
>>
>>1147057
see >>1148585
>>
>>1147057
see >>1148585
>>
>>1145729
If you're here in october ADE will be on so just about every DJ in the world will be in Amsterdam. Personally I think the best club in Amsterdam is De School, followed by Radion.
>>
>>1142944
Best weed in Dam is from the Gray Area. It's tiny though, so just to pick up, not smoke at. Most coffeeshops will let you toke there, if you've bought a drink or whatever. Can smoke outside too as long as you're not a dick about it.

Greenhouse and Barneys both have nice stuff, but over priced and can be hit and miss. Dampkring is similar, but gear is fairly consistent, nothing special, but not overpriced either.

Not been to super skunk and can't remember Abraxas although I've been there a few times.
>>
>>1148585
>>1148586
>>1148608
I see. But it's not like some other student cities where you have nothing to do if not a student?
>>
I live at a 5 minute walk from the Leidseplein. Don't go to those kind of places, only dumb tourists do so.
>>
>>1140920

Dutchie here, I used to love Amsterdam so much, but the last few year it has become unbearable. There are literally no Dutch people left in the citry centre. The tourists have usurped the city completely. It's no longer fun to go there.
>>
>>1149305
so where to go? except the towns mentioned. we want holland obviously not some tourist shit.
>>
>>1140920
are you from Singapore or something?

>>1142256
>>1144662
>>1149350
Haarlem, Leiden, Utrecht, Delft, Alkmaar

Ignore >>1144675 there is literally fuck all to do or see in the north except for in Groningen which you will have experienced completely in about 30 mins.

>>1145729
De school, Radion, markthallen has cool shit during ADE

>>1146543
>Eindhoven
Trust me on this you don't want to go there
>>
>>1149350

Den Haag, Leiden, Delft, and Rotterdam.
>>
>>1148700
Could you explain ADE a little further? Is it basically a busy five days of partying everywhere?
>>
hey, can anyone rec some good cheap hostels/bnbs in Amsterdam?
also I'd like to know a few good techno clubs. checking out the ones itt already
>>
>>1149763
Couldn't find anything truly cheap especially compared the surrounding countries. Flying Pig Downtown is cool if you like partying.
>>
Brrr really don't like this place
>>
>>1150061
yeah that place looks alright, mj-friendly apparently
>>
>>1140614
Go to groningen, frisian villages,
Its only 2hours by train
>>
>>1146342

>Gangs of roving Moroccan or sand/nigger youth

Fixed.
>>
>>1149763
https://www.campingzeeburg.nl

seems pretty cheep. not a hotel but still. like 15 min by bike to city centre.
>>
>>1149305
ik woon in centrum :)

het is echt kut :(
>>
>>1148909
Grey Area's Silver Bubble and Bubble Kush are the best Sativas about. That burn is the power.
>>
>>1149350

Haven't seen this mentioned yet.

Nijmegen.

Liberal student city, old, good coffeshops.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.