[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Venice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: 14-Venice.jpg (617KB, 1500x1001px) Image search: [Google]
14-Venice.jpg
617KB, 1500x1001px
I'll be in Venice for 2 days, what should I see and do?
>>
>>1140564
walk around, sit down and have a nice drink.

If you want to do the queue, you can get into the big church.

Beautiful city. I recommend getting off the big streets & just walking around in some small alleys
>>
>>1140565
Yeah, and dont get caught by the tourist traps at St Mark's Square?
>>
File: dal moro pasta place.jpg (274KB, 833x458px) Image search: [Google]
dal moro pasta place.jpg
274KB, 833x458px
>>1140564

Take the waterbus down the length of the grand canal at night and then walk back.

DO NOT pay to go on a gondolier - one of the biggest fucking tourist traps in existence and ridiculously priced for what is essentially a very short boat ride.

Take a half-day trip to Murano and admire the glass works.

Just walk around a lot and enjoy the small avenues and winding pathways.

This time of year it's going to be hot which you might find unpleasant - there'll also be a fair amount of summer tourists too which will be annoying - just be aware of that.

Personally I thought Venice was nicer during the evenings or early mornings when less people are about.

It is in general one of the most touristic and pricey cities around.

I would recommend one food place which sold some great pasta for a very reasonable price though - see attached pic.
>>
>>1140573
Good tips senpai. Also, best way to get from the Marco Polo Airport to Venice? The same waterbus company as ACTV?
>>
>>1140569
> tourist traps

what do you mean? There's no real traps, just don't go buying shit like masks or glass.

Also don't go drink in the Florian. Paid 35€ for 3 cokes
>>
>>1140578
Over-expensive food and such, street vendors and the like I mean.

>35 euro for 3 cokes
kek
>>
I'd still appreciate tips!
>>
>>1140594
Go to Giudecca. Nothing incredibly special to see (I mean, there's nice churches and shit) but it's waaaay more quiet than the main sestieri.

Go and have aperitivo somewhere in Cannaregio. Except for the ghetto, it's one of the zones of Venice where there are still actual Venetians living and going about their day.

>fun fact: 'ghetto' is a Venetian word
>>
>>1140612
I'll be staying at Generator Hostel on Giudecca actually, so I'll spend some time there for sure.

I'll check Cannaregio out m8 thanks
>>
>>1140573
Where would I find this waterbus?
>>
>>1140706
There is a system map here: http://www.actv.it/sites/default/files/ultimamappa.pdf
It's a bit schematic, like many transit system maps, but you will need to get yourself a regular map of Venice before you go anyways.
>>
>>1140576
>Also, best way to get from the Marco Polo Airport to Venice?

They have direct bus rides to Venice from the airport. That is also the cheapest route and only takes some 20-30 minutes if I recall correctly.

At the airport, buy your ticket at the Public Transport counter in the arrivals hall, and look for the No. 5 "Aerobus" to Venice's Piazzale Roma at the curb outside the terminal doors.

Taxis are the most expensive way - avoid them to save money. The waterbus to venice from the ariport would also be a bit pricier than just taking the normal bus so be aware of that too.

As for the waterbus down the grandcanal there are several 'bus stops' along the full length. Go online and look for 'ACTV waterbus route map' and check it out. I think I took the the no.2 (red line). Also, if you do plan on walking back make sure you know your route - either follow the grand canal as best you can or use significant plazas or placemarkers - Venice can feel like a maze at times until you suss out and get a feel for navigation.
>>
>>1140578
>>1140569

It's not so much people trying to scam you and rob you but rather that the place in general is pretty damn pricey and the Venetians take advantage of their tourist destination privilege to milk as much momey out of tourists as possible - food, souvenirs, entrance fees etc. noticeably higher than any other great cultural European city.
>>
>>1140564
venice is very crowded and expensive, my recommendations

the appeal for me at least was really in the buildings, try to get in as many as you can

don't buy or eat anything that comes from venice, the monopoly market means it's one of the most expensive places that I have ever been to
just pack a lunch and some snacks, gives you more time to do things too

I only day tripped there
>>
Is it possible to rent a personal small boat like a kayak or something and explore the canals by yourself?
>>
>>1140818
too dangerous tbqh. The water is like roads in a major city, very crowded and not made for bikes
>>
>>1140818

I think you need a special license to take private boats out on the canals anyway.
>>
I was there for 4 days in May. Absolutely loved it, probably one of the most beautiful city I've ever been to

Try to get to St. Marco's square early in the morning or late at night. I don't know if they do it every day, but when I was there they flooded the place (I guess to clean it), which created these amazing reflections (pic related).

Other than that, Ponta d'ell academia is nice, but again, early or late at night. Other than that on the main island, just walk around and try to discover some hidden side alleys. Cafe Florian is a tourist trap but I personally liked it a lot (because of Chinese cartoons mostly), even though I paid like 20€ for 2 espresso.

Make sure to visit St. Michelle, it's huge and I probably saw the fewest people there. Burano and Murano are also pretty nice to check out
>>
>>1140706
>>1140757
This busride isn't included in the ACTV 72h-pass right?
>>
>>1140816
Meh, I'll have to try italian pizza and pasta m8. But I'll try to find the hidden and more cheap ones
>>
>>1140816
>the appeal for me at least was really in the buildings
Me too, I love architecture and city planning

>>1141006
Thanks for the tips
>>
>>1141006
>(pic related)
Now I want to see the picture. :(
>>
....pass on going altogether because of the hordes and crowds and massive tour groups EVERYWHERE YOU GO...but if you HAVE to, wander the back alleys and wear a money belt and carry your cameras and backpack in FRONT of you and continually look over your shoulder for pick-pockets and urchins who beg....
>>
File: 20156967.jpg (6MB, 4847x3209px) Image search: [Google]
20156967.jpg
6MB, 4847x3209px
>>1141120
oh sorry forgot the picture lol

This was at something like 8-9 PM when the flooding was still taking place
>>
File: 20156994.jpg (5MB, 3838x3123px) Image search: [Google]
20156994.jpg
5MB, 3838x3123px
>>1141336
and this was past 11PM when the place got even more flooded and most of the people have disappeared
>>
>>1140564
im going to venice for 1 night next week. Do you guys think thats enough time to do shit? Any recommendation besides the canals?
>>
Every time I hear about Venice I hear about how awful the food situation is.
Can anyone provide details about what the problem with it is?
I understand the higher prices, but is the quality or portions somehow worse?
>>
>>1141576
no, just be smart & don't eat next to the main square & main road
>>
>>1141336
>>1141337
Quality shots, photofriend.

>>1141576
Shit restaurants close to tourist attractions can get away with being shit because the turnover is so high. That, and service charges are a scourge to be purged.
>>
>>1141576
I was staying in Cannaregio when I went, and the food was decent if still a little expensive. Portions were actually pretty big.

The best meal I had was on Murano, though, just by the weird glass sculpture thing.
>>
I got up real early one day (4 or 5 am, just before the break of dawn) and headed over to St Mark's square, completely empty. Then I went over to the fish & fruit market and saw them set it all up, unloading all the produce from the boats, all the merchants nicely arranging their carrots one by one, cleaning out the fish, etc. It's quite a show, I gotta say.

All three lesser islands (Murano, Burano and the other one) are worth a visit if you've got the time. Lido, in my opinion, not so much, except that coming back on the boat from Lido you have the best view ever of the main island. The cemetery is also a nice visit, and it's on your way to Burano I think.

Hitting the streets at night is awesome, make sure to leave one night where you just walk all around getting lost, no map, and then try to find your way back.
>>
Taking the train from Florence and staying in Murano for 1 night. Thoughts on the island? Should I just take a boat ride to the main island after wandering for an hour or two? I get there at like 12 p.m is that enough time to see most things, as ive read you don't need much time in Venice
>>
>>1142762
You've been lied to, friendo.
>>
>>1140564
Just walk around
>>
>>1140573
Don't listen to this guy, do not waste your time in the waterbuses unless you're using it to go to one of the islands like Burano and Murano (both reccomended). It's literally a normal fucking bus except it's a boat.
>>
>>1142951
Also for food try Bigoi, it's pretty cheap and pretty good.
>>
>>1142935
How so?
>>
>>1142958
"you don't need much time in Venice" is bullshit, unless you just do the dumb touristic thing which is to see St Mark's square, the church and a 10 minute walk one of the canals.

>>1142951
>do not waste your time in the waterbuses
nah, you gotta do at least two rides all the way through the Grand Canal, one in daylight and one at night. Of course it's just a normal bus, but the view is incredible.
>>
>>1142762
>as ive read you don't need much time in Venice

2 well planned days are plenty to see what Venice has to offer.

A half-day impromptu side-trip is not.
>>
>>1140564
Get an Expresso in marks square. James Bond yo
>>
>>1142951
>do not waste your time in the waterbuses

Seriously?!

All I said was to take the waterbus ONCE down the main canal at night and otherwise walk around a lot. They're not that expensive and the waterbus wasn't even suggested as the novelty but the experience of going down the grand canal by boat.

I have no idea why you're so hostile to what I suggested.
>>
If you are going to Plaza San Marco, get there early, before 8 am. Seriously. Pay the admission fee to see the Doge's Palace, because it's worth it.

There's a "Rolling Venice Card" for ages 14-29 that can save you money on admission.

Bring a compass. You can get turned around really easily in Venice and it is nice to know which way is north. I'm not the kind of person who gets lost, but I got lost a lot in Venice and it was really disorientating.

If you want to ride in a boat get a free ride to Murano, look at the glass, and also you get to see the city from a different angle.

I mostly ate food from grocery stores and Gelato, because i have terrible impulse control. Cash is necessary. I think i maxed out at 7 cones of Gelato in one day.

The Naval museum is really cool, is
If you like botesluts you'll like the scale models of Roma and Vittorio Veneto, and also the rest of the museum is fantastic, second best after the Doge's Palace.

My third favorite museum is Peggy Guggenheim's house, which shows her personal art collection. It's interesting to see the pieces the greatest art dealer of the 20th century decided to keep for herself.

One of the old churches holds Vivaldi concerts, idk the schedule, I liked their off-day "not the four Seasons" selections better than the four Seasons. Both are good, tickets are reasonably priced for a live recital.

The Correr is neat but not vital. There is a Heironymous Bosch painting i liked.
>>
Any suggestions for dining in Burano?
And is there a vaporetto pass still available?
>>
File: here.jpg (177KB, 1366x646px) Image search: [Google]
here.jpg
177KB, 1366x646px
>>1143279
you can buy single rides, passes for a certain amount of rides, or passes for a few days up to a week.

Pic related. You get to Burano and then you cross a small bridge that takes you to another island. The area circled is a big fruit orchard and vineyard that you can walk around in, and I think you can even pick some fruit. Very quaint, silent and relaxing, not full of people. There's an old stone tower, old buildings, etc. The small pond is full of fish. It's a great little trip. I haven't tried the restaurants there, but they seemed pretty good. Please do check it out.
>>
>>1143003
I said that because the waterbuses tend to be really crowded, not just by tourists but also people commuting to work from Lido and other islands. They are quite uncomfortable to be inside of, expecially if you're tall, and if you catch a crowded bus you probably won't actually get to see shit.
>>
Thoughts on Muran
>>
Getting lost is part of the Venice experience, so don't sweat it when it happens.

The arms exposition in the Doge's Palace is really awesome and worth going to. There is no line in the morning.
>>
>>1143377
there's a bus every 10 or 15 min. You go to one of the first stops (by the Arsenale, I think) If there's a huge line ahead of you, just let the bus go and then you'll be the first in line, you walk in and get a nice comfy spot against the side rails.
>>
>>1143285
If you go all the way out to Burano, I'd recommend popping over to Torcello too.

It's an almost deserted island, but there's a bell tower that has a nice view of the place (and there's no elevator, which felt like a novelty). Gives a different viewpoint of the lagoon after being in the city.
>>
>>1143380
Glass museum is shit value for money.
>>
>>1143380
Burano is much cooler. Just an island further.
>>
>>1143472
So, from what I read here, it looks like it's Burano>Torcello>Murano?
Do you guys think two days for these three islands is too much? I thought about sleeping either in Torcello or Burano if that's possible and not toursticly expensive.
>>
>>1143636
Nah, I seriously doubt you need much time. Torcello is really tiny, and the other two are a bit bigger but don't really demand that much more time. If you're able to time the ferries right, you could squeeze all three of them in one day

I don't think there's any hostels in the islands. There's some houses to rent, a small cottage or two in Torcello, but I think you might need to book them in advance, and I expect they'd be quite a bit pricier than anything on the main island.
>>
>>1143666
I see.
Well, my plan was to stay 4 days in Venice.
2 days in the mainland to check the famous spots (some at in the evening/early morning when there should be less people) and just to wonder around and get lost, like one anon said somewhere in this thread.
And the other 2 days to see Murano and Burano and now Torcello. Maybe I could add some other island nearby?
>>
>>1143674
>Maybe I could add some other island nearby?
they're not really worth your time. Seriously, if you have any free time, just keep wandering around the main island. It's a pretty big island, with narrow, winding alleys everywhere. There's just so much to explore, so many details to see. Even if you've walked one particular street 10 times, walk it once again and you'll find something new for sure.
>>
>>1143674
>>1143681
But if you really have an extra day, and you don't wanna spend it in Venice, you could take a train to the mainland and be in Padua in 1hr or Verona in 2hrs. Both are pretty nice cities for a daytrip. If you wanna save some money, there's probably a bus as well, slower but cheaper.
>>
>>1143681
Noted!
3 days in the main island and 1 day for Murano+Torcello+Burano. Guess that way I can save some money since I wouldn't have to take the vaporetto two days apart.

Also, is aqua alta something I should be concerned or look forward to? I'm planning on going around November and I heard it's common for it to happen between Nov and Jan. The earlier I can go is October, which I read can happen but is not so common.

And thank you for the tips!
>>
>>1143689
I went in February and thought I might like to see the aqua alta, but having been there and seeing where the walkways actually are I'm glad I missed it. I spent so much time out and about, and there's no way I would have got as much done if there had been any major flooding.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.