[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traveling with Two Passports

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 2016-07-17-14-38-01--117336779.jpg (5KB, 190x265px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-17-14-38-01--117336779.jpg
5KB, 190x265px
Hoping you guys could clear this up for me. Im a US native that also holds an Irish passport. My dad advised me to exit with the US passport and enter Ireland with the Irish passport, and vice versa. However, I've read Irish citizens need a visa to travel to the US.

So, if I try to exit Ireland at the end of my trip with the Irish passport does that mean they'll ask for a visa? Am I better off just using my US passport the whole trip?
>>
>>1139865
The "visa" you would need to fill out as a person carrying an Irish passport is ESTA...which is not officially a visa, but sort of when you figure you have to pay for it and do something even if it's a minor inconvenience.

If I were you, I would always use your American passport unless you are traveling through Europe or to a country which makes American citizens apply for a visa or pay an entry fee which is not required of Irish citizens (example: Brazil).
>>
I'll use this thread.
I have an EU passport and an Australian one.
I'm going to China and Japan soon enough. I have visa for China on my Australian passport.

I want to exit the EU with my EU passport, but obviously enter China and Japan with my Australian passport.
They don't give a shit where you're from right, as long as your visa is eligible for entry?
>>
Curious about something, maybe you guys can shed some light: does it not raise issues when you do this sort of thing, and now have a passport that, for example, shows you exiting and re-entering EU 20 days later, never having been entered anywhere in between?

I know that used to raise issues with Americans who travelled to Cuba, and had this obvious gap in their passports where they went to Mexico, exited Mexico, re-entered Mexico but had no stamps showing for that time in Cuba -- if customs/immigration was otherwise suspicious, that confirmed that they needed to strip-search your luggage...
>>
>>1139865
>Leave US = US passport
>Enter Ireland = Irish passport
>Leave Ireland = Irish passport
>Enter US = US passport
Simple as that
>>
>>1139870
Thanks!
>>1139950
And this avoids ESTA?
>>
>>1139950
+ travelling Europe = Irish passport
>>
>>1140073
I am a U.S. Citizen with dual citizenship in a VWP country?
U.S. Citizens are not required to have an ESTA and are required to use their U.S. passport to travel to the U.S.
>>
>>1140075
travel the world = Irish passport
>>
>>1140077
I see, so the ESTA is for when you land in the US, and is avoided with a US passport. If I show Irish immigration my Irish passport when I exit (as long as I entered with an Irish passport) they'll let me pass without any trouble.
>>
File: 1466196437804.jpg (5MB, 3071x1838px) Image search: [Google]
1466196437804.jpg
5MB, 3071x1838px
>>1140082
Yes. Remember that when immigration look at your passport they don't give a shit how you left the country you left or what passport you booked your flight with. They only care if you have the required documentation to enter the country. When you book your flight use the US passport though and show the correct one if you check in at the airport.
For fuck sake don't show both passports to the same person. It will confuse them and lead to "additional checks" that will make you wish you hadn't.
>>
>>1139950
Ireland has US customs preclearance. Makes the passport situation trickier.

Also US gets advance passenger information on what passport a passenger will be using to enter the country. Going to CBP with a different passport than you booked with is asking for a bad time.
>>
>>1140726
I do this like 10 times a year and have 0 problems. I have a German and American passport. The only time something did come up is when I tried exiting Germany with my US passport and she didn't find an entry stamp so then I just pulled out my German passport and she said "oh okay" and I was on my way. I do exactly what I told him but switch "Irish" with "German." And I fly into Europe through multiple countries and not just Germany so I know it works EU wide, including Norway, UK, and Switzerland.
>>
>>1140726
When did a border agent ever look at your ticket or boarding pass in Europe?
>>
>>1140710
this isn't exactly true as >>1140736 also confirms, if you're in a country that has exit checks and present a passport that shows you had no approved entry into the country you're leaving then this will raise questions/suspicions like you entered illegally because you were transporting illegal goods etc
>>
>>1141283
It's also against US law to enter the United States on a foreign passport if you're a US citizen. Same applies to the EU.
>>
>>1139865
it's really simple, you leave/enter the country with that country's passport, end of.
>>
>>1141453
This. It's considered renouncing your citizenship, so if you want both, always enter the US with a US passport and leave with a US one too, and in Ireland and probably the rest of the EU do the same with your Irish passport.
>>
>>1141283
So just show them the other passport with your valid entry stamp. Since when is it illegal to have a duel nationality? with an EU (especially irish) and a US passport you should run into 0 problems, both are your passport and both are valid.
>>
The United States always expects you to enter and exit the US on the US passport. That's non-negotiable.
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/childabduction/dual_nationality.pdf
>Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.

Your best bet is to use the US passport as your travel document provided to the airline in both directions so the US sees the exit and entry records in advance of your flight. Then, when you pass through Irish customs in both directions, present your irish passport.

This is important - when you check in with the airline in both directions, SHOW YOUR US PASSPORT. This will be the document they expect. If you show the airline your Irish passport when returning from Ireland to the US, then they will expect you to have an ESTA. If you go through Shannon or Dublin, you will also clear US Customs before your flight (preclearance), you show your US Passport at this time.
>>
>>1141453
> Same applies to the EU.

oh?

I know for a fact that Irish citizens who also have british passports can enter Ireland with a british passport without problems (and I mean travelling from anywhere in the world, not just UK-Ireland). You seem to be suggesting that it would be illegal to enter with anything but an Irish passport, for an Irish citizen.
>>
>>1143237
>you will also clear US Customs before your flight (preclearance), you show your US Passport at this time.

Just to clarify, at the end of my trip when I leave through Dublin, I show the airline my US passport, US Customs my American passport, and Irish Immigration my Irish passport. And then presumably I don't have to show anyone anything in the states?
>>
>>1143246
>entering the EU with an EU passport
Oh wowwwwwwwwww colour me shocked
>>
>>1143356
When you check in (online or at the airport) use your US passport, this is what customs will expect (passport you booked under). If you show the airline your Irish passport they're going to expect to see proof of an ESTA or will deny you travel.

As far as exit Irish customs - show them the Irish passport. Your entry stamp should be on the irish passport.

When you see US customs - show them the US passport. If they ask you why the passport isn't stamped, tell them you are a dual citizen (I doubt they will ask, my passport was not stamped entering or exiting Italy and US CBP said nothing at all).
>>
>>1139865
Use your USA passport both ways. USA and Ireland basically have the same TSA security, share passenger information during your ticketing process and flight manifests, and you'll pre-clear on your way home to the USA right in Ireland, which gets tricky if you used your Irish passport at any point, where they don't see entry/exits both.

Where do you live? You're really American residency are you not?, and Ireland has no issues with the US. You left the US as a resident, not as a Irish national on a work visa. Be careful.
>>
>>1143356
>Just to clarify, at the end of my trip when I leave through Dublin, I show the airline my US passport, US Customs my American passport, and Irish Immigration my Irish passport. And then presumably I don't have to show anyone anything in the states?
This is essentially correct. There is a SPECIAL deal in a couple countries of the world, where you preclear US customs/immigration before you leave the foreign airport. I've only done it in Toronto and Shannon, so I don't know wherever else it exists, but there are US agents there in the airport, you scan your palms and eyes, whatever machines they have with your passport, talk to agents and then board your plane homeward bound. When you get off, it's very nearly like a domestic arrival for you. You get your bag from bag claim, hand over prefilled cleared paperwork to someone who asks something like "any food in there?" pr nothing at all, and walk out the exit to the terminal.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.