[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leiden, Netherlands

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 0

Tell me about Leiden. I'm contemplating going there for my master's degree, i.e. living there for two years. Is it a nice city to live in for such a long time? Are Dutch people friendly towards other Europeans living in their country? Is it expensive?

Pic not related
>>
>>1139785
Dutchfag here. Not really well known in Leiden though. But it's a nice city with many cultural/language/law and medicine studies. It's probably better to find an appartment to live in, if you compare with Amsterdam. It's situated in short distance of int. airport Schiphol, Amsterdam and Den Haag. But Rotterdam is pretty closeby as well.
Cannot comment on our friendliness, however for foreign people it's pretty easy in Holland since ninety% speak English. I think it's not really expensive, not cheap either. It's way cheaper than England and Scandinavia. But might be more expensive than Mediterranean countries and East-Europe.
I don't know where you're from. But many EU countries have special sponsorhips for international students. For example studying in Denmark is free and you receive some college fund. In the Netherlands you'll have to pay like two thousand euro's for a years college. As a dutch citizen I receive 260 euros a month (but this will probably not be likewise for you). Belgium is cheaper as well in terms of college fee.
>>
>>1139794
Thanks! I'm from Norway, so everywhere I go is cheaper... I only have to pay 2000€ per year in Leiden, as opposed to 20,000€ for non-EU/EEA, which is one of my main reasons for considering it.
>>
Badump guise.

Is Dutch a hard language to learn?
>>
>>1140315
For a Norwegian, it shouldn't be extremely hard. Do you know German? If so, combining that with English and Norwegian you'll pick it up relatively easy if you're motivated.
If you're thinking of starting to study it now so you can follow classes in Dutch next year, I don't know if that's a realistic proposition.
>>
>>1140319
The master's I'm looking at, and I suppose basically every master at an international institution like Leiden, is taught in English, so that's not a problem. Was more thinking it would be cool to learn it while living there. I really like Dutch, it sounds awesome. I don't know any German though. Do the Dutch also use cases and all that shit?
>>
Student at Leiden uni here. It's a pretty cool place. There are only 2 real clubs here, if that's your thing.
A lot of international students and the prices are pretty much just standard Dutch city prices. A lot of students are in what Americans call "frats" or something
>>
>>1140456
What about Nimejen?
>>
I'm based in Tilburg, but for a fact, Dutch students (especially Uni) are really really open to international students. There's this student network called I*ESN or ISN which has locations in all major student cities in Europe. I don't know much about Leiden, but that is where a lot of "balletjes" and "kakkers" come from. You'll know what I mean.
>>
>>1140516
Nijmegen
>>
>>1139785
Just remember that when you're in the Netherlands, the whole country is an hour away. You can live fucking anywhere and still have Amsterdam as your main hub.
>>
>>1140315
Why would you want to? Everyone speaks perfect English.
>>
>>1140381
>it would be cool to learn it while living there
An attitude I can only admire!
We dropped cases a couple of centuries ago. We still have the neuter, which I believe Scandinavian languages also have, so for that, you're set.
Be prepared for a lot of (or most) people switching over from Dutch to English if they notice you're a foreigner who's stumbling along. It's not because they think you're retarded, it's because they have a hard time grasping why anyone would learn the language.
t. Belgian, it's the same over here.
>>
>>1140516
Been there once 5 years ago, don't know anything about it but the uni there is pretty good I guess
>>
OP here, thanks for the replies guys.

>>1140456
Clubs aren't really my thing, I like bars better, so no worries. These frats, are they like only student associations or the American style retard clubs from the movies?

>>1140524
>"balletjes" and "kakkers"
>You'll know what I mean.
Actually I don't :DDDDD

>>1140550
If I'm gonna live in the country for two years, there's no reason to not give it a shot tbqh. Especially when it's so close to my own language.

>>1140620
Thanks. I've experienced the "switching to English" phenomenon before when speaking foreign languages abroad. It's annoying, but I know it's benign.
>>
>>1140319
Anglo native, and about B2/C1 in German. Never studied Dutch, but I swear I can understand half of it. Reading is easier than listening of course, the Dutch sound like retarded ducks choking on something (no offence -- I love you guys but your language is uhh, not your strong point)
>>
>>1140516
>>1140526
I quite like it. Not famous for much (except its bridge if you're a WW2 buff), not gonna blow you away, but it's cozy. Plenty of students. It and Arnhem are similar, but I think I like Nijmegen more.
>>
Tell me about alcohol in the Netherlands guys. What is the price of beer and vodka in stores/bars?
>>
>>1141860
A case of your average pilsener like Heineken (24 bottles of 0,30L) is about €14, and you get €4 back if you bring the back the case and the empty bottles.

A beer at a club/bar/cafe is about €2,50 for 0,25L.

Bottle of Absolut vodka is about €15 at the store.
>>
>>1141860
Vodka no idea, but you pay ~€5 for a decent 0,33L of craft beer. Pretty expensive, but hey. If demand is high, prices go up.
>>
>>1141870
>>1141893
I think those prices are pretty good... In Norway, it's 3€ for a pint in the store, twice that in a bar. Craft beers can easily reach 10€. Vodka is insane, about 40€ for a liter of Absolut, and you can only buy them in special liquor shops.

And oh yeah, you can't buy alcohol in shops after 8pm on weekdays or at all on Sundays.

I'm going to become an alcoholic refugee...
>>
>>1142244
>you can't buy alcohol in shops after 8pm on weekdays or at all on Sundays
Aaah, glorious Scandinavia strikes again!
I know a Norwegian dude who was on Erasmus in Belgium last year. If, like him, you're getting Norwegian funds, you're pretty much set. For alcohol as well as for other pursuits.
>>
By the way, is it possible for a Norwegian citizen to take the driver's license in the Netherlands? How much would it cost?

Believe it or not, it's fucking expensive in Norway...
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.