[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 41

File: Film0095_30a.jpg (4MB, 3089x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Film0095_30a.jpg
4MB, 3089x2048px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Rail Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1136908
>>
>>1139448
I'll be visiting Tokyo for the first time in a few weeks. I'm looking for a very unusual/underground activity to do.... Or a place to go where very few people go... something really special. Anyone has an idea?
>>
Sweet, didn't know this general was a thing.

Im gonna be going to Japan in few days, with my sister and my dad. What would be some fun non-touristy things to do or places to go to, that aren't prostitution dens ?
>>
File: 20150715_105658.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20150715_105658.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
I posted a thread in /adv/ but I might as well ask here too.

It's break and my parents want to go on a family vacation while I'm still home. They asked me about places I want to go, and my number one choice is Japan since I have friends there, as well as weebshit. Thing is, I don't think I would be comfortable going with parents. Last year when I went to Japan alone, I really enjoyed not being dragged around to places I didn't want to go, and not having relatives look through my purchases. My parents and I don't share the same interests and I feel that if we were to take a vacation to Japan, it wouldn't be an enjoyable experience for anyone.

[spoiler]I'm also not sure how well they'd react to seeing エロ本 at 7/11[/spoiler]
>>
>>1139550
Rail Museum, there's one in Kyoto, one in Saitama, and one in Nagoya.
>>
>>1139550
In Tokyo, you could go search out the statue of Godzilla in the Hibiya neighborhood.

If you get away from Tokyo, in Yamagata Prefecture, you can walk up a small mountain "Haguro-san", on a path with stone stairs, though a forest of ancient cedar trees, with a few shrines scattered about, and a tea house halfway up. Although, at the top there is a parking lot, and a row of vendors, and a bus stop, so if you aren't so ambitious you could take the bus up and walk down.
>>
a pretty dumb question here: ripped jeans, yes or no ?
Its gonna be hella hot in Japan, so I want to bring jeans with big holes in them. Do japanese people see those a different way from westerners ? Will they think I'm trashy ?
>>
>>1139563
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeb
>>
>>1139578
Just wear whatever the fuck jeans you want, dude.
>>
>>1139578
You're not that important
>>
File: Momotaro-Jeans-1.jpg (135KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
Momotaro-Jeans-1.jpg
135KB, 700x700px
>>1139578
Japan stole a lot of denim culture from America so you should be okay.
>>
Hypothetically speaking, if someone was going to be turning 18 (the drinking age in their country) in japan and wanted to celebrate/get fucked up, would they be able to?
I've heard they don't check ID's often for gaijin and sell beer in vending machines etc, but would one be able to get into clubs and such?
said person is 6'3 and gets mistaken for mid 20's if that helps.

what would be the legal consequences of getting caught, and would it be likely for one to get caught?
>>
>>1139599
They always check and you risk jail and deportation
>>
>>1139599
you are free to go to bars and buy booze at 99% of places but dont try clubs
>>
>>1139615
This 100%
>>
When looking at places to stay in Japan, does it make sense to go for places that include breakfast? Other countries like Spain or Brazil have plenty of places with something nice to eat after waking up, and the price difference to places without the possibility isn't too bad.
But on Japan most places don't seem to include breakfast, and those that do have price jump quite a bit. Is it better to just ditch the idea, and go for bento from market?
>>
>>1139615
>>1139628
Sweet, this is what I've heard from friends too. thanks guys.

Clubs aren't really my thing anyway
>>
>>1139634
Japan resident here. Try Toyoko Inn? It's a big chain here. My gf and I went to Kobe the other month and stayed at a Toyoko and there was breakfast. Miso Soup, Rice, rolls and butter. That kind of stuff.
>>
Anyone able to recommend worthwhile day trips from Kyoto? I'll be there come autumn and feel I might have booked too much time in the city.

Also, less obvious Kyoto recs in general.
>>
>>1139644
I'll be there in April next year, and I had a visit to Hikone castle and the short hike from Kurama to Kibune on my to-do list. No idea how much less obvious they are though.
>>
>>1139563
You haven't actually asked a question, what do you want to know that could help? How do get along with them better? Whether or not to go? If your parents are easy to get along with and can compromise or they're offering to pay, you may as well go.

I often go to Japan with my dad and we usually split the day 50/50, we do his thing in the morning and mine in the afternoon.

>>1139638
God damn I fucking love Toyoko Inn breakfasts. It's such simple stuff but I'd never eat it otherwise, having savoury food in the morning is a nice change for me. I like the little sausages and meatballs they make.
>>
Staying in Tokyo for 3 months starting in August. First time in Japan. I've been looking at sharehouses for lodging. Any other thoughts? Recs for finding three months of cheap housing? Recs for areas of Tokyo to stay?
>>
>>1139647
If I decide to go through with it and suggest Japan, I'd essentially be taking responsibility for their enjoyment of the trip and I'm not sure if I could deal with that. I can't just dump them somewhere and go off to do my own thing.
>>
>>1139563
>>1139658
have they visited japan? most normies loves tokyo, my mother did at least. unless your parents are really boring there is lots of shit to do, shopping, izakayas, bath houses, museums etc. unless all you want to do is buy figurines in akiba
>>
>>1139659
No, they haven't gone. I have some ideas in mind for some normal stuff we could do that I did last time I went. It's just a matter of satisfying everyone.
>>
>>1139658
I don't know why you expect there to be such a huge divide in things to do, surely you can all enjoy shrines, castles, shopping etc? Of course you can't go spend all day looking at anime in Akiba or some shit but that would be a lame holiday anyway.
>>
Alright, i'm going to Japan this December with around 8 friends of mine. We're all in the 20 to 23 year old range and most of us have travelling experience (it's my first time out of my country though).

We'll be staying in Tokyo for 14 days in a house we rented from Airbnb. We don't plan on going clubbing or partying as we're a bunch of nerds, but other than that what do you guys recommend we should do there? Open for almost anything really. Most of us are into historical shit and weebshit so we want to experience as much as we can in 14 days. We even considered going to a small town in the countryside just to see how it's like.
>>
I'm in japan and have met a few girls off tinder.

They keep trying to use me for english or something. They think tinder is not for hooking up apparently.

How do I get over this. Anyone experience the same?
>>
>>1139635
I think you mean clubs aren't "your friend's" thing

;^)
>>
>>1139648
Stayed at a share house before I would recommend that.

As for area, depends on your budget and possibly where your worl/school is if you're going there for that reason. Otherwise anywhere close to the yamanote is fine
>>
>>1139669
I'm in Japan and was thinking of use Tinder. Just curious, what has your experience been like?
What makes you think hey are just using you for English lessons?
>>
Any good places to eat near akiba/ochanomizu? Been sticking to more western food style restaurants but tomorrow is my last day and I want a bit more jap food. I don't know how to use chopsticks though. When does 7-11 put out bento, and do they come with a pair? Figure I can practice with those.
>>
>>1139615
Clubs are totally fine, its 18 and up pretty much everywhere to get into clubs and once you're inside they don't care if you drink. The only place I couldn't get in to at 19 was a place that notorious for denying foreigners
>>
>>1139644
Kyoto is the day trip from Osaka
>>
>>1139644
Nara, Osaka are obvious. How much time to do you have there?
>>
>>1139544
Akihabara has go karts you can rent and drive on public roads, You need an international license to do this, if you are from a country with a driving treaty, you can probably get one by filling in a form and paying a small fee.
>>
>>1139756

Five days. I know Osaka is obvious, but since I currently live in the region I'm happy to do a long weekend for Osaka all on its own another time.

Is Ise worth the trek from Kyoto? Or even somewhere north on the Sea of Japan coast?
>>
So I'm teaching in Japan now and been making some lifestyle changes, one of which was cutting soda from my diet. I'd like to start drinking tea, but I've never made tea in my life. Could anyone tell me what I should buy to get started?
>>
>>1139775
umm. Jesus Christ. Just get some 紅茶 or something.
>>
anyone ITT done the pilgrimage? strongly considering doing it for a laugh
>>
>>1139762
sweet! thanks a bunch! I just had my licence, so I don't think I may qualify (as there's a waiting period in my country before you're a confirmed driver...) But I like the idea.
If anyone has other suggestions of unusual places to go/ activities, please share! :)
>>
>>1139669
Pro-tip: They know what it's for. The whole "english lessons" thing is for 2 reasons: 1. to appear less slutty (needs no explanation) 2. just in case you meet up and you aren't what they're looking for. they can just default back to you being their teacher until the date-that-is-no-longer-a-date is over.

If the next time you try to set up a date she flakes at the last second, just move on. If not, then she's tryna smash and if you have game you'll probably be able to the 2nd or 3rd time you go out.
>>
I'm in Tokyo right now and it seems the nightlife is very meh, do you guys have any advice ?
>>
>>1139908
Yeah, just stop being a normie.
>>
File: 4901085019672_1[1].jpg (21KB, 200x384px) Image search: [Google]
4901085019672_1[1].jpg
21KB, 200x384px
>>1139775
麦茶 and ほうじ茶 are absolutely wonderful in this hot and humid season. There will be instructions (usually just add water and let steep for a while in the fridge) on the back of the package.
>>
I am wanting to go to Aokigahara when I visit Japan this winter (no, i'm suicidal, I just want to walk through the forest and visit the ice caverns).

1)What would be the most inexpensive way to get to the forest from Tokyo?
2)Do people in Japan view foreigners going to the forest as a bad thing or does not one really give a shit?

Thanks for any replies.
>>
>Get to live in Japan
>Am not Japanese
Is there any better circumstance?
>Not a broken individual
>People excuse my social failings
>Speak a language spoken by more than one country.
>>
my goal is to buy a good amount of anime merch with a side goal of sight seeing. i also think im going to search for famous spots used in anime(i.e. ikebukurou station for drrr, that one spot in anohana etc.). any suggestions on stores, and placec to eat? because i havent thought about how i would spend money for food really.

also i dont know that much japanese. i only took one class so i guess i can barely have a convo. though i will have a guy there to help, i dont think he'll be there the whole time. basically i have 1 week so what part of the japanese language should i try to cram.

and yes im weeb trash, i know.
>>
File: Bale_oooh.jpg (11KB, 320x272px) Image search: [Google]
Bale_oooh.jpg
11KB, 320x272px
>>1140000
Checked and admired.

Nakano Broadway is the best stop for cheap anime swag. After that Ikebukuro near Sunshine City has some good anime shops, though it caters more to females. They're both cheaper than Akihabara so hit them first, but Akihabara has the best selection by a mile. Keep an eye open for the shrine in the side streets of Akihabara, I'm sure you'd find it amusing.

You'll be fine with your Japanese knowledge if you've taken a class. The only thing I use regularly that wasn't taught in JAP1 is "daijoubu." Often times japs wont lock their doors even if the business is closed so you peak inside and say daijoubu as in "is it okay to come in?"
>>
>>1139448
The last few Japan Generals have had some really nice photos. Does the person whoever is taking them have a flickr or tumblr or something I can see more?
>>
>>1139995
>no, i'm suicidal
hmm.
>>
>>1140005
The cheapest (reasonable) way is to take a bus from Shinjuku station into Kawaguchiko. You can find the bus station on the fourth floor, go to the south exit and take the escalators up (I went some weeks ago and had a hell of a time finding the station.) It's about 1800yen one way and takes a couple hours. From there you can get a bus from Kawaguchiko Station, the blue and green line will both swing by the ice cave where you can then take a path through the suicide forest to another cave and a bus stop. Be sure to go early because the buses stop at like 5PM in Kawaguchiko. Also nobody gives a shit if you go, the town is a resort town with a bunch of really good attractions. The forest is known for suicide but aside from that it's actually a really cool forest on its own merit.
>>
>>1139908
Speak Japanese
>>
>>1139995
i've often wondered this myself, and for some inexplicable reason, i've wanted to go there too.
>>
I'm going to be in Japan for 18 days on the 29th of this month. With about $1000 usd. Other than the several matsuri what are some events that are going to be going on? Especially in akibaand/or anime based events. I'm already going to natsucomi too.
>>
How much of a bitch are us customs when you get back from japan. I bought like 3 thousand dollars worth of shit. Most of it is figs, can I just tear the price tags off and lie?
>>
To add to the guy above how's U.S. customs with doujins too?
>>
>>1140037
Can't answer but I'd love a picture.
>>
>>1140037
>>1140038
See if buyfag.moe has the answer you need. If it doesn't, go to /a/ and search for buyfag in the catalogue and ask there.
>>
File: 20160718_152100.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160718_152100.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>1140044
Yeah I fucked up, anywhere I can buy some bubble wrap?
>>
File: fig1.jpg (24KB, 481x468px) Image search: [Google]
fig1.jpg
24KB, 481x468px
>>1140053
>figs
I'm so naive.
>>
Hey boys. I'm a diplomat living in Tokyo and my cousin and his friend are going to be visiting me in December for 10 days. I need to find the cheapest flights possible during this timeframe from South Florida (Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Miami) to Narita.

How should I go about doing this?
>>
Going to japan for 3 weeks from August 20, thinking of doing a week in tokyo, a week in kyoto and a week ??? Or should I just use the 3 weeks for those 2 cities and surrounding areas?
Never travelled by myself before, so I wanna take it slow. Looking to get equal parts weebing it up in the city and checking out nature.
>>
>>1140070
>a week in kyoto
For what reason? It's right near Osaka. A week could be excessive even for just Osaka, but Kyoto is more of a day trip from there.
>>
>>1140078

Sorry, by surrounding areas I meant Osaka and Nara, the other 2 places I've been looking at. Tbh I'm just looking for any suggestions, and how long you think it's worth staying at each.
>>
Hello! Planning to go to Japan in October this year. We have been advised to by a JR Pass as we plan on travelling from Tokyo to Kyoto and then onto Hiroshima. Was this good advice? Would we need to by additional train tickets to get around in Tokyo?

Also, how many days would you recommend spending in Tokyo? We definitely want to do the Ghibi museum but we haven't decided anything beyond that.

Thanks!
>>
100,000 yen for a week in Tokyo. Doable?
>>
File: pls.jpg (16KB, 627x120px) Image search: [Google]
pls.jpg
16KB, 627x120px
>pls China
I booked a round trip ticket to Tokyo through Hainan Airlines.
It was $580 total. How bad are the flights gonna be?
>>
>>1140078
Kyoto is absolutely more than just a day trip... If anything, Osaka is just a daytrip from Kyoto. Osaka is just a city. If you go to Dotonbori/Shinsaibashi area for a day nothing else is really super essential in Osaka. People seem to be massive Osaka boos around here but I don't really get it. I think Kobe is nicer and more charming than Osaka.

Basically, to the person who made the original comment, don't think of it as a week in Kyoto. Think of it as a week in Kansai. In that week hit Kyoto, Osaka, Nara and Kobe if you can.
>>
>>1140086
It depends how long you're going for. You should research the individual rates to each city if thats all you're doing.
If you plan on going to other cities or want the option to do so on a whim. I would get a JR Pass.

>How many days to spend in Tokyo
Completely up to you and how long your trip is.

The JR Pass wont cover the subways in tokyo or other cities. If you visit the JR website it will go into specific details about that.
>>
>>1140103
Osaka is a city with historical sites. Kyoto is just temples and shrines that really aren't all that special if you've seen any temples and shrines before.
>>
>>1140111
Are you retarded?
>>
>>1140113
Kyoto is boring as hell if you've seen anything like it before. It was awesome the very first time but every trip since has been a waste of time since there is literally nothing to do in Kyoto except goto those same few places. Osaka has the castle, some shrines, some temples, and then a shit ton of other stuff to do because its a real city. Plus the people in Osaka are the nicest in Japan.
>>
>>1140103
It depends what someone is interested in seeing of course (eg I can get my fill of temples in a day), but if you're picking one spot to stay in for a week it's also about convenience. A hotel in Osaka would just be the better option since it's more central, easier to get to from the airport, easier to get around, etc and it has a lot of stuff to see and do in addition.
>>
File: sdfg.jpg (53KB, 960x539px) Image search: [Google]
sdfg.jpg
53KB, 960x539px
>>1140111
>>1140114
>Osaka is a city with historical sites. Kyoto is just temples and shrines
>Osaka has the castle, some shrines, some temples, and then a shit ton of other stuff to do because its a real city.

Osaka castle as it stands is a reproduction built in the 1930s. It's not that cool, and it's pretty boring/museum-y inside. It even has a fucking elevator. Not historical. Kiyomizu in Kyoto was in its current form built in the 17th century. The karamon of Nishi Honganji dates to the 1500s and is a national treasure. I could go on. How stupid is your first statement.

>and then a shit ton of other stuff to do because its a real city.

Kyoto is a real city. Not as big as Osaka but it is an actual city. It has an extensive subway system, a downtown. Have you ever spent a night drinking in the bars in Gion? Arashiyama is also cool, with the monkey park.

>Plus the people in Osaka are the nicest in Japan

Nice meme. Not saying they're not nice, but people are generally nice and decent throughout Japan.

I don't mind Osaka, but I just don't get why everyone on 4chan rides Osaka's nuts like no tomorrow. Dotonbori/Shinsaibashi--its biggest draw--is definitely worth a visit, but it's still somewhat tacky and overcrowded.

I found Kobe more charming and worth it than Osaka.
>>
>>1140127
Yeah, when I was looking for things to do I found a lot more interesting things history wise in Kyoto than Osaka. Osaka castle seems cool, but Hikone castle is an actual piece of history and not a reproduction. Not to mention all the original shrines and temples. I'm probably not even going to make a day trip to Osaka when go to Japan, all depends on if I'm crunched for time. 3 weeks doesn't seem like a lot for Tokyo -> Sendai -> Kyoto -> Hiroshima.
>>
>>1140127
If you think the people in Osaka are like the people elsewhere in Japan its very obvious you can't actually speak to anyone
>>
In Tokyo atm. Trying in vain to get Tinder girls to be my tour guide cum-waifu. As someone who spent their life taking the London Underground the metro here gives me a boner
>>
SAKÉ!

SAKÉ!
>>
I'll be in Japan for four months and I'll manily be busy doing online work. As I'm a certified high school teacher for English, French and philosophy in Germany and I've taught those subjects and German (my native language) in a couple of different countries (I just came back from two years in Singapore), I'd like to do some teaching on the side.

I've done a lot of research and I know it's going to be hard because my native language is not English. On the other hand, I have an M.A. in education and I already have a Working Holiday visa.

So far I've set up profiles on a number of private tutoring sites, I've put an ad up on Ohayou Sensei and applied with Berlitz. I'll probably look more into jobs on Gaijinpot, but most of them require me to be in Japan. Any tips what else I could do?

I'd like to be based in Osaka, Kyoto or Fukuoka. I guess Osaka would be my best bet as it's simply the biggest city out of those, but what do you think?
>>
>>1140137
Not the same dude but holy shit piss off you spastic memelord.

>>1140150
Why Fukuoka and why is Tokyo area off the table?
>>
>>1140165

Well Tokyo is off the table because I already spent half a year there during and internship a few years ago. I included Fukuoka because a lot of people have been telling me good things about the city and it's even been hyped in life quality surveys.
>>
Was on the fence about posting in a Japan general, but here goes.

Are there any advantages to visiting Japan on weekdays compared to the weekend?

Hotels don't appear to have a significant difference in price.

Unsure how busy it gets for touristy things.
>>
>>1140168
When you get to fukuoka, dont forget to take the ferry out to nokonoshima island and walk around. Its super beautiful. Also look for an old dude in the middle of the island selling honey. It was super dank.
>>
hows the english in japan poor or decent ??? or do i have to take a course in Japnese ???
>>
File: grilled-octopus-3.jpg (192KB, 900x668px) Image search: [Google]
grilled-octopus-3.jpg
192KB, 900x668px
Can I eat octopus in Japan?

No, not live, but actually cooked ones. Like 20 years ago I remember visiting some Asian country(probably Thailand?) with my grandmother, there I had some octopus, and haven't eaten it since.
So, can I get grilled octopus in Japan, and if so where? I know there's takoyaki and I'm going to try that too, but I just want to eat actual legs of octopus again. And not some pussy French food sized portion, actually proper meaty and large stuff.
>>
>>1140208
As long as you stay near the major cities, no.
>>
>>1139563
Basically what >>1139659 and >>1139664 said. They may not be into weebshit but that's only a slice of Japanese culture, there are tons of other things they can enjoy as well. Are they covering expenses or do you need to chip in for flights/hotels? If they are paying for everything then just suck it up and go do normie, tourist stuff with them. It's as you said, you have been there before and they haven't. When my family goes on a vacation, we always have free time to do our own thing - you can go get your weebshit then and pack it away before re-joining with everyone.

Have they been to an Asian country before? Are your family members family independent or do they always do things as a pack? And how long is the trip? If they haven't traveled abroad and aren't very independent, that means you'd be babysitting. In that case I would say skip Japan unless you're OK with handling the stress, and judging from your posts, it sounds like you are not.

>>1139667
Maybe type in "things to do in Tokyo" and choose what's interesting from there?

>>1139709
I didn't think the food was too special in akiba, mostly chain stuff you can get basically anywhere. I'm pretty sure you can ask for a fork at any restaurant and they will get one for you, otherwise make-do with the chopsticks and a spoon. Yes, if you buy a bento from 7-11 they will give you a pair of wooden chopsticks at the register.

>>1140000
Don't forget about Kichijoji, where GTO took place - you get to Ghibli museum from there as well so there's double incentive to visit. Japanese gleaned from your chinese cartoons coupled with the ability to read Hiragana and Katakana is very handy if you want to read a menu when no english ones are available. Mostly you just need to know "sumimasen" and "daijoubu" and you're golden.

>>1140208
Even in the not as popular tourist areas (such as in the alps to the west of Tokyo), there are signs everywhere in English.
>>
So, I am soon quitting my current job and going back to my home country. I am in a position where I can finally make the long and slow kind of Japan trip I always wanted. Since my hips are not that great and I cannot walk the entire day, I would like to take advantage of this trip and do some drawings / paintings of the landscape, and learn some new things for career development in the breaks and downtime that I know I'll have. Also it would be nice to have some time to dedicate and focus on photography.

This is not my first trip, but it's the first one where I go further north than Tokyo, and further west from Hiroshima. Here is what I have come up with so far:

- Arrive directly to Sapporo
- Sapporo. Oct 5th - Oct 9th.
- Hakodate. Oct 9th - Oct 12th
- Aomori Oct 12th - Oct 15th
- Akita - Oct 15th - Oct 17th. I am having a difficult time to find out things to do here. I wonder if it's a good place to visit at all.
- Nyuto Onsen. 1 night in Tsurunoyu Onsen Ryokan
- Sendai. Oct 18th - Oct 22th. Possible day trips to Yamadera, Yamagata, Matsushima.
- Nikko - Oct 22th, stop and visit on the way to Tokyo.
- Tokyo - Oct 22th - November 3rd. Here I plan to take it easy and be very lazy. I am considering cutting this short and flying to Seoul for a few days.
- Takayama, Shirakawa & Kanazawa. November 3rd - November 7th. 2 nights in Takayama and 2 in Kanazawa.
- Kyoto - November 7th - November 15th. Still a bit unsure about this. Kyoto is absolutely beautiful but it's a bit hard to get away from the huge masses of tourists.
- Osaka. Nov 15th - Nov. 18th. Possible day trip to Kobe, visit the aquarium.
- Koyasan. Nov 18th - Nov 19th
- Explore the area between Osaka and Fukuoka for the next 6 nights. Nov 19th - Nov 25th.
- Fukuoka & Kyushu. Nov 25th - Dec 1st. Might get a kyushu rail pass and go nuts, or just chill in Fukuoka, depending on how much money i've blown up to this point.
- Depart from Fukuoka.

Am i doing right anon?. Feedback much appreciated.
>>
>>1140003
thanks anon :3

I did upload most of them on Flickr, but I barely use it nowadays (https://www.flickr.com/photos/adam364/)

I started upload some of my favorites from Japan (alongside with other snaps) to Instagram recently, so there's gonna be some pictures there as well (https://www.instagram.com/adam_364/)
>>
I have a serious avoidant personality disorder.
Should I go to japan for 3 weeks in oktober?
I literraly can't make up my mind.
>>
>>1140236
HEIL SIEG.

Well, the thing is that while traveling, you don't have to socialize if you want to. You can perfectly avoid dorms and rent private rooms through airbnb in places where the host has a ton of listings (meaning he won't really give you any attention other than handling you the keys).

In restaurants and such, most people won't be able to fluently communicate with you, so chances are you will probably not get much interaction.

I think you'll be fine. Might want to cut the trip a bit shorter if it's your first time traveling solo.
>>
What's the dating scene like for white guys? Is the myth that Japanese girls dig white dudes true at all in practice?

My apartment is said to be partially furnished (as in a table and chairs but no bed or couch). I know a bed is expensive but how much would, say, a new futon go for on average? How much realistically will I be looking to spend for maybe a used couch?

My apartment doesn't have an oven, is that shit normal?

Why does Japan hate dryers?

I would like to take up baseball (played for a couple of decades, I want to see if I can train and become good enough to play for the J-Industrial League), are there plenty of facilities around the country that can offer a place to practice my craft?

What's the weirdest thing you have personally seen in your Japanese travels?
>>
>>1140244
>What's the dating scene like for white guys? Is the myth that Japanese girls dig white dudes true at all in practice?
Good opportunities but most of the time you will say no. Also, be prepared to be used as a one-time experience. Also, look out for possible gold diggers.
>My apartment doesn't have an oven, is that shit normal?
Yes
>Why does Japan hate dryers?
Go to koinrandori
>Baseball
Many fields but most of them belong to private clubs or schools so getting in may be difficult.
>What's the weirdest thing you have personally seen in your Japanese travels?
The fact that even if they're running AC on max and it blows 15 deg in your face while it's 40 outside I still don't get a cold. Also their habit to queue for everything.
>>
>>1140238
>HEIL SIEG.
What?

>Well, the thing is that while traveling, you don't have to socialize if you want to. You can perfectly avoid dorms and rent private rooms through airbnb in places where the host has a ton of listings (meaning he won't really give you any attention other than handling you the keys).
I haven't been travelling much, so I'm not really up to date on the new types of accomodations. I'll probably stay at a hotel, more familiar and easier to me, although more expensive

>In restaurants and such, most people won't be able to fluently communicate with you, so chances are you will probably not get much interaction.
Having to find places to eat is probably my biggest worry, I don't won't to get up like the guy who only ate at mcdonalds (troll or not)

>I think you'll be fine. Might want to cut the trip a bit shorter if it's your first time traveling solo.
It will be my first time going solo yes, so was thinking maybe going 2 weeks. But since it's such a long way might as well make the best of the time I have available.

I think I might just have to order the tickets so that I can stop thinking about it and deal with it.
>>
>>1140257
>Having to find places to eat is probably my biggest worry
If there's something you shouldn't even remotely be worried about in Japan, that's food. Hit Coco/Tendon tenya/Mos Burger or just pick up a bento in the closest conbini. Or just go close to any train station and you'll find something.
Also, 3 weeks in Japan goes by in a second, especially if you want to step out from Tokyo. Which you should certainly do.
>>
>>1140209
America/the anglosphere is pretty much the only place, excluding super landlocked countries, where octopus isn't eaten regularly.
>So, can I get grilled octopus in Japan
>I know there's takoyaki
Takoyaki literally means grilled octopus.
Nidako, Yudedako, Mushidako etc. are fancy weeb names for boiled, steamed etc. octopus. You can find them anywhere or you can just buy octopus and cook them yourself since it's literally just that, cooked octopus. That's kind of like going to Japan and trying eating some ringo (TL Note: ringo means apple in weebspeak), might as well do it at home?
>>
>>1140056
Haha I thought the same
>>
>>1140244
>how much would, say, a new futon go for on average
Depends on the size and quality, obviously, but you can get a decent one for 10-20,000 yen.

>used couch
Probably around 25,000 yen.
>>
So I'll be leaving tomorrow for Tokyo and I'll arrive at around 10:40PM local time at Haneda, do you think it would be reasonable to leave on a train at around 11:30 ? I have never been there before so I don't realize how complicated actually buying tickets is (also, will whoever sells train tickets speak english ?)
It's my first time in Japan and I would not want to spend my first night at the airport (considering that I will have been traveling for 24hrs)
>>
>>1140227
Why would you fly to Seoul? I'd save Korea for a seperate trip.
>>
>>1140326
>buying tickets
Get a Pasmo.
>>
>>1140326
yes arrived at 11 myself, trains from haneda to shinjuku go until like 00:50. its a bit complicated since i didnt find many english signs but the information people do speak english. buy a pasmo card and charge it.
>>
>>1140326
Yeah definitely reasonable. Get an IC card (suICa is purchased at the JR counter across from the metro entrance and Pasmo bought directly from the ticket machine, it doesn't"t matter which you get as anywhere that accepts suica also accepts pasmo) and load like 1000 yen onto it. The people at the information counter by the subway entrance speak English and will tell you how to get to your destination. It can be a little overwhelming at first but you will get the hang of it quickly. Just be sure you are getting off at the right stations, some of the station names are similar so you don't want to accidentally be going the wrong way.
>>
File: tokyo.jpg (338KB, 1328x746px) Image search: [Google]
tokyo.jpg
338KB, 1328x746px
>tfw trip to Japan was the highlight of your life and you desperately miss it.

Looking to go back and see more of the country. I can't find flights anywhere near as cheap as my last trip.

I'm thinking Kyoto and Osaka for a few weeks. What's the cheapest option for decent accommodation for a solo traveller?

Also feel free to ask questions to someone who visited Tokyo for the first time a few months ago.
>>
I kind of want to import my favorite shota/loli doujins back to my home but I worry about customs fucking with me if I just bring it in my baggage. can one send packages anonymously internationally? so i have plausible deniability
>>
My girl and I are going to Tokyo for a week. What are some must visit locations? Is a week in Tokyo too much or should we go to other cities?

Anyone know if there are any Sumo events late August?
>>
>>1140353
5-7 days is pretty ideal for Tokyo. Do you drink?
>>
As a black American, will my experience in Japan be inherently shitty?
>>
>>1140361
Go to Roppongi you'll fit right in.
>>
Does anybody know how restrictive is Japan regarding internet and downloads? I know people download a lot of crap but I heard they take the illegals downloads seriously. Can anyone confirm this and if possible give any advice.
>>
>>1140369
Use a VPN regardless.
>>
>>1140369
They have the strictest laws on record in the first world, but not a single person has been prosecuted. A lot of that shit was passed to appease international record companies and hollywood, with no intention of ever enforcing it. Torrented every day for 3 years on my blazing fast yahoo internet without a single problem.
>>
>>1140361
You'll experience less racism than in the US, but it'll be the same as any other non-Asian there. You'll do fine with the women if you have any game back at home, the most important thing is being able to speak the language.

The people who bitch the hardest about the racism are white guys when it comes to official things (like getting a credit card, housing, etc) and white women bitch the hardest about guys not kissing their ass and chasing after them. My black female friends usually are dating Japanese guys when they're actually looking because they actually make the effort to go after a guy they like.

Theres an obvious bias toward Japanese and you'll never fit in totally but the nice thing about Japan is that its level for everyone, the rules are defined, and its a lot lighter overall.
>>
>>1140371
>>1140376
Thanks, I'll consider both advices.
>>
>>1140361
>>1140378

Actually, based on the Youtube videos that I've seen, black people (both men and women) seem to do just fine in Japan and are treated as respectfully as everyone else.

There were a few people on an old Reddit post claiming that black people are seen as "exotic" and interesting, even moreso than white people. Whether or not that's true, I can't say.

After a bit of observation, Japan doesn't seem to be as xenophobic as I, and many others, had originally thought.
>>
>>1140382
I'm
>>1140378
I'm also black and have lived in Japan for nearly 4 years
>>
>>1140382
Wow, it's almost as if you can't generalize an entire country.
>>
>>1140384

Thank you for your contribution.
>>
>>1140390
You're welcome.
>>
>>1140361
>>1140378
This 100%. The "racism" against non-asian foreigners is a complete joke, especially compared to America and ESPECIALLY if you're only visiting.

Does the odd sporty girl asking you if you play basketball trigger you? If not, enjoy not giving a fuck about social issues.
>>
>>1140146
ryu ga waga teki no KURAU
>>
File: JET-programme-banner-2.png (33KB, 804x477px) Image search: [Google]
JET-programme-banner-2.png
33KB, 804x477px
Does anyone know what criteria interviewers look for when interviewing candidates for the JET Program?
>>
>>1140400
Its better than America, but its not a joke. It really does suck a fucking lot when you find 4 or 5 places you want to live and be told you have to pay an extra 2万 a month or have to put down double the security deposit because you're a foreigner, but it is better than America where atleast when people are going to be racist its completely laid out and obvious. Its definitely much nicer than you also know exactly when to expect it
>>
What kind of visa do I need to become a host?
>>
>>1140417
That does suck. But even then, I consider sheisty landlords telling you from the outset before you even sign anything "I don't trust you because of something you have no control over and I'm going to be an asshole about it the entire time I take your money if you start giving it to me" to be a laughably easy problem to figure out.

I didn't/don't mean to imply there are no issues whatsoever, but "Its better than America" is a pretty gross understatement when the most traumatic experience you'll get as an adult is a dickhead landlord or a salaryman grumbling because he has to sit next to you after his 19 hour shift.

We're probably just gonna have to agree to disagree.
>>
I'm thinking about teaching in Japan come September. I have a TESOL cert, a bachelor's degree, and a year's experience teaching in SEA. I would love to get some advice on finding a job in Japan. So far the only site I know that has ads is eslcafe, but those are few and I'm not too interested in being the slave of some conglomerate but would prefer a school or local center.

I don't think I could be considered a weeb; I have little interest in manga, vidya, and anime. However, I write fiction and I have an idea for a story that would benefit greatly if I experienced life in the countryside. I don't care for a large city and would like somewhere naturally beautiful where I can immerse myself and learn the language. I would really appreciate suggestions for specific areas to look into and sites to find jobs posted.

Also would like to hear of experiences others teachers have had in Japan. Aside from a higher standard of living than what I grew accustomed to in rural Thailand, I don't know what to expect.
>>
>>1140430
I'm been trying to get a teaching position for a while now and it's been tough as balls. Although I don't have the best qualifications either. I found this site to be a nice resource, and you'd be able to utilize more of the listings than I would, meaning those requiring a certificate, and/or those out in rural areas.

http://ohayosensei.com/
>>
>>1140430
are you not interested in the JET program? or is english not your native language?
>>
Is it possible for a foreigner to apply for Japanese language lessons at a Japanese school even if said foreigner does not have a 4-year degree?
>>
>>1140436

I don't have an answer, but I'm sort of piggybacking off of this: is there any way to actually move to/live in japan without a 4 year degree?

I've heard both yes and no, so i'm not sure.
>>
>>1140233
I love them! Very comfy :)

What film did you use for this thread's pic?
>>
Any pro-tips for day trips from tokyo, aside from fuji, hakone, nikko, yokohama, and the kamakura area?

Pic related- 2cute tooth mascot at the dental expo this past weekend
>>
>>1140442
>>
>>1140334
>>1140337
>>1140342
Cap'd
Thank you very much guys
>>
Hey if im not from an english speaking country, then what's the best chance of living in japan
>>
>>1140460
Be rich, marry a Japanese citizen or be highly qualified (PhD with international publication, patent holder or similar).
Work for a company that has a branch in Japan (or a Japanese company that has a branch in your country) and try to transfer.
Convince a Japanese company to hire you.
These are the options I can think of.
>>
>>1140439
>>1140460

If you're reasonably attractive, you might be able to become a model and get a work visa which allows you to live there. Western models are somewhat sought after over there.
>>
TL;DR I'm someone who used to be disabled dating someone who cares for a disabled person. We've managed to get the time and money together to go to Tokyo in December and we're so fucking excited.

And I'm worried we're going to get snap-happy because of how little we go anywhere or do anything fun. Is it true that taking pictures in shops and arcades is really frowned upon? Would it be a good idea to make a note of the phrase "Excuse me, may I take pictures here please?" to ask employees, or would they not really have the authority to permit it and the establishment has their own rules?
>>
>>1140343
Airbnb or hostels. I found a comfy Airbnb room for ~ 30 USD per night plus cleaning and other fees in Osaka. It's possible there might be other cheaper rooms.
>>
>>1140440
I think all pictures I took were shot on Fuji, 80% on Fuji Superia X-TRA 400 and the night stuff was mostly Fuji Natura 1600
>>
Hey guys, what time of year does it start snowing in Sapporo? :)
>>
>>1140442
Kawagoe, Mt. Takao, Tsukuba (for hiking)
>>
looking to travel to japan around september-october although ill only be doing this by myself and for 2 weeks.

ive ok with basic japanese but im wondering how easy it is to get around with english. im aware they dont really use english.

looking to travel to tokyo, kyoto, osaka and maybe more
>>
>>1140435
Thanks a lot, I will start browsing it.

>>1140435
I'm a native speaker however I would need to apply in advance to the JET program. I'm hoping to start by this September.
>>
>>1140343
How's the nightlife in Tokyo? Any clubs that you recommend?
>>
I have a question regarding traveling in Tokyo, would it be worth it to get PASMO or Suica for four days trip in Japan?

I live in Kyoto and I'm just used to using ICOCA and not buying actual tickets or passes, it'll be my first time leaving the Kansai region and making my ICOCA useless so I'm really worried about public transportation.
>>
>>1140343
Why was it the highlight of your life? What awestruck you in Tokyo?
>>
>>1140382
>ackshually according to youtube videos I see here's how the place I've never been is...

Post. Fucking. Invalidated.

You pathetic, sniveling weeb faggot.
>>
>>1139669
lol
>>
File: average income in japan.jpg (93KB, 588x450px) Image search: [Google]
average income in japan.jpg
93KB, 588x450px
in my 3rd year here and i just got packet of health insurance payment slips and then this residency tax thing

i have to pay like 14,000 or so for "national health insurance tax" each month (was only 4500/mo. the last 2 years) (is it supposed to be called "tax"?) and now 27,000 every 2 months for a total of of like 114,000 for "residency tax" for the place i just moved from.

is this normal? why would the health jump so much, why is it now called a "tax" instead of just insurance?
what is this residency tax? my company took out ~5000/mo. for income tax and 700/mo. for municipal tax each month from my paycheck. so what the fuck is this shit?
>>
I'm trying to do Japan for cheap and I found this article on "Urban camping in Japan".

http://wikitravel.org/en/Urban_camping_in_Japan

Is this a real thing? Or are you just homeless? Thoughts?
>>
>>1140329
Nah. Spending a lot in Japan in these couple months as it is.

I am a Mexican who happens to miss home quite often, and who also likes to reap the benefits of working abroad. Therefore, I often burn all my vacation days visiting home. It's usually between jobs when I get the opportunity to go a bit crazy with the traveling.

I need to keep a budget and not go too crazy between jobs because I have a prosthetic hip and, shall it fail, I need to have financial means to shoulder the surgery myself, so I need a relatively fat savings account.
>>
>>1140483
It's better to ask. Some stores don't allow photos at all and some will let you take pictures of certain areas of the store. You can say, "Shashin wa daijoubu desu ka?" (are photos OK?), or just hold up your camera and go "daijoubu desu ka?", they'll understand what you're asking. It's also good if you actually point to the object/area you want to take a photo of, for the aforementioned reason that some stores have specific areas that you can't take pics of and areas where it's OK. If they say muri, dame, iie, or chotto, that basically means no and is almost always accompanied by them crossing arms or fingers into an X. Yes would be OK, ii, hai, daijoubu.

>>1140494
You only really need English for getting around. All of those places have a lot of foreign visitors so pretty much anywhere you'd go will have people who understand enough English for you to communicate. Pretty much every single sign of importance has English on it as well.

>>1140511
I'm pretty sure ICOCA is also accepted in Tokyo. My friend started in Osaka and he never mentioned his card being rejected while traveling around Japan. If you're too lazy to look online, you can just try to use it at the station. If it rejects the card just turn around and buy a pasmo from the ticket machine.
>>
>>1140583
>just turn around and buy a pasmo from the ticket machine.

fuck that, Suica master race
>>
>>1140585
im so confused by all the ic, suica, pasmo cards

i just want a card to use for the bus+train commute to work everyday.

which do i get and how
>>
Should I mainly carry cash and withdraw all my money?
>>
>>1140460
Work for a huge-ass multinational (does not need to be Japanese but needs a unit or subsidiary in Japan).
Make yourself known and hard to replace. Bonus points for working on international projects.
Get scouted by other company.
Tell HR that you're willing to stay if you're transferred to Japan. It helps if your current project relate to Japan at least a bit.
Grab the relocation support and haul your ass over to Japan.
>>
>>1140590
They're usually interchangeable. You can never go wrong with SUICA though,
>>
How the fuck do you buy food when you don't speak any Japanese?
>>
>>1140625
Many places have English menu. Or pictures. Or both.
Or you can learn the language a bit, it's not that difficult.
>>
>>1140625
You have several choices:
- Potentially poorly translated english menus in some establishments in touristy areas.
- Pointing at whatever someone else is eating and saying "sore wo kudasai".
- Saying "omakase kudasai". Meaning that you leave it up to the chef's choice.
- Actually learning some kanjis related to cooking methods and meat types, along with hiragana / katakana (can be done in < 1 week half-assing it).
- Plastic food models.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf5bQaGrNCY
>>
>>1140625
I've been to places without an English menu. First restaurant I went to in Japan was like that actually. I just pointed to something in the middle of the menu (where they wouldn't keep appetizers or drinks) that looked priced to be about how much food I wanted. Ended up with some tasty shrimp tempura. Another time I just looked around the diner for something that looked tasty and pointed to it, then showed the waitress the menu and asked "nani?"

>>1140596
Withdraw the max amount at the ATMs from any 7/11 and carry it around. Places seem to be accepting cards more and more (at least in Tokyo with the Olympics around the corner) but you'll still find it a ton easier just to use cash.
>>
>>1140460
IT dude here. I have been thinking about it and weighing my options. It is doable as an IT person as long as you have talent, experience and Japanese language skills. Even if you don't Japanese, as long as you have solid experience and are good at it, chances are you can find a job. Here are the steps:

1. Study a degree in an IT field.
2. Gain some experience in whatever technology is trending in 3. Japan (different countries tend to use different languages / frameworks).
4. Study some Japanese, up to "business level" whatever the fuck that means
5. Search for jobs in Japan through stackoverflow, gaijinpot, and other international or japan-specific job search sites.
6. ???
7. PROFIT!!!!

>>1140596
Get cash from 7/11 and post office ATM's. Always carry a generous amount of cash so you don't have the stress of running out of money. I usually get 30-40k at a time when I travel there.
>>
>>1140542
Yes, it's normal. National health insurance spikes after the first two years. Everyone has to pay the residence tax of your city and prefecture of residence. That's just how it goes.
>>
>>1140642
Thats fucking ridiculous

Particularly the taxes. Im already paying income and city tax every month

What other country just decides to cripple you for more money like this "just because we can"

No wonder japs are always killing themselves
>>
>>1140661
Stop being such a crybaby. Here in Germany I am in the second-worst tax tier because I am a working single man with no wife or children.

Wanna know how much I pay every month in taxes? 42% of my income. I get to take home 2.6k eur out of a brutto salary of 4,500... now, that's rapey, but I decided to come here because I like it, so I won't be nagging and complaining about their rules.
>>
>>1140672
>stop being a crybaby
>oh yes please take more of my money my nip overlords

There is being a weaboo, but you are just fucking sick in the head at this point
>>
whats with the nightlife in tokyo? i'll be there on a friday night. is there any chance to get in touch with "underground" parties. are drugs a thing in clubs?
>>
>>1140679
He's right though, if you find it too high, just get the fuck out of the country instead of complaining.
>>
File: supra.jpg (1MB, 1920x1105px) Image search: [Google]
supra.jpg
1MB, 1920x1105px
I am type 1 diabetic, I want to teach in Japan, my anxiety about dealing with Japanese health care and doctors may stop me from chasing after that dream, it makes me sad. It's not so much the actual situation that makes me sad but I guess the disappointment in myself.
>>
>>1140779
nice blog
>>
>>1140779
why the choro q celica xx
>>
File: yoshida.jpg (985KB, 1920x1023px) Image search: [Google]
yoshida.jpg
985KB, 1920x1023px
>>1140797
>choro q celica xx
Damn.. I didn't know these were called Choro Q. I just scan old Japanese design annuals on occasion and really liked these Nobuhiko Yoshida illustrations.

>>1140782
Many people have blog-like posts in this general and I wouldn't mind hearing more about the Japanese health care system if someone knows anything about that?
>>
>>1140833
See, now you've actually posted a question instead of an aimless statement. Hopefully somebody will have an answer for you soon.
>>
Snowboarding in Japan, is Mount Fuji the go to place? How are the trails.

Also where do I go for scuba diving? Okinawa?
>>
I know there are stores where you can buy doujin manga, but what about CD's? Are there any physical stores that sell doujin music, or do you have to order online for that?
>>
Okay so I moved to Japan a month ago and I'm really not cool with the deodorant situation. Can someone please tell me where I can find some actual like anti perspirant chalk deodorant? I'm not sure how they think that ink blotter oil shit that smells like DEET is doing anything.
Thanks.
>>
>>1140835
Have you ever seen a picture of mount Fuji in your life? You can't snowboard on it.
>>
>>1140849
Costco and the internet. Those are really your only choices.
>>
>>1140850
I've seen pictures, kind of.
Well where do I go
>>
File: image[1].jpg (437KB, 1280x834px) Image search: [Google]
image[1].jpg
437KB, 1280x834px
>>1140853
Nagano.
>>
>>1140853

I recommend going to Google.
>>
>>1140855
I'll google my cock into your mom's pussy
>>
>>1140856

You couldn't google yourself into any pussy no matter how lucky you're feeling.
>>
>>1140858
fuck that bant was on point
>>
Anyone in Tokyo?

Traveling alone for the first time and could do with some company
>>
Has anyone claimed tax back on anything while shopping in Japan? I do plan to spend quite a bit of money, I'm just not sure if it's a hassle to claim it back while shopping or if it's deemed rude.
>>
>>1140913
They'll be happy to do it, just bring your passport along.
>>
>>1140623
Only because theres like 10 JR statioins in the entire country that haven't upgraded to the interchangeable system yet. Fuck JR and their outside stations, support the subways and smaller railways and buy Pasmo
>>
>>1140858
This must be an Aussie kek
>>
>>1140590
Just get a suica, it has a penguin on it. you can get them at most train stations.
>>
>>1140590
Suica and Passmo are identical in function. It doesn't matter. You can buy one at a ticket/card charge machine in most stations.
>>
Nice fireworks at kamakura this evening, but got damn there must have been 100,000 people there to watch
>>
File: Apo.gif (260KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
Apo.gif
260KB, 500x280px
Apo.
>>
File: IMAG0396.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0396.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
Well looks like Im going to akihabara with my sister, wish me luck. Maybe she'll get bored and then I can go look at some lewd shit.

Tokyo is rad but damn Tokyo tinder isnt. Is it normal that every girl looks and talks like a poorly-executed catfish ? Just very flat and predictable ? Anyone else experiencing this ?
>>
こんにちわ!
>>
>>1140952
Nope. I did fine with japan tinder. Of course it's filled with bots but that's true of literally any place.

My guess is that since your day is revolving around sneaking away from your sister so you can go look at dildos and hentai in Aki while using the word "rad", tinder isn't really the problem here.
>>
>>1140590
IC card is the type of card that Japan uses for their mass transit system. Each region has their own (ICOCA and PitaPa in Kansai, SuICa and Pasmo in Kantou, etc). For the most part, suica and pasmo are interchangeable. I got a pasmo and everywhere that I went that accepted suica also accepted pasmo. In less visited places, some clerks didn't even know what pasmo was, but their machines still accepted it. That being said, suica is more widely recognized, and there are probably some places that will take suica and not pasmo (though I haven't encountered it) but most travelers will not encounter this situation.

tl;dr get whichever you want

>>1140913
Make sure you are in a tax free shop, some smaller stores don't offer this. I think you can also get a tax refund at the airport if you forgot to do it in the shop but I have no idea where that counter is. Also you're technically not supposed to open the product while you're still in the country. The receipt is stapled to your visa page and they are supposed check the products are intact when you're at the airport, but I've never heard of that happening to anyone.

>>1140952
Just go to akiba alone and have her go to ikebukuro alone the same day, that way you both can look at lewd shit.
>>
>>1140976
What's in 池袋?
>>
>>1140982
fujoshit
>>
File: file.png (170KB, 419x261px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
170KB, 419x261px
>>1140952
>>1140976
>>
>>1140982
There's >>1140993 but basically a lot more kawaii things in general. It's easier for girls to find their husbando merch there than in akiba. If you like cute shit in general then you will probably like ikebukuro - I do and I enjoyed my time there.
>>
>>1140982
Sunshine city and titty bars
>>
Someone near Fukuoka ? What are the good places to see outside the city ?
>>
>>1141035
Nokonoshima
>>
File: coco-ichibanya.jpg (384KB, 1600x1195px) Image search: [Google]
coco-ichibanya.jpg
384KB, 1600x1195px
This might seem like a strange question but how would Japanese people react to me walking into a restaurant there and filming a food review?
I have been aiming to become a food reviewer for some time and I am going to Japan to teach soon so see the chance to set myself apart from standard youtube food reviewers.

Will I get kicked out?
I already have a schedule of restaurants for my opening episodes

1. Coco Ichibanya
2. Lotteria
3. First Kitchen
4. Yoshinoya
5. McDonalds Japan
6. La Pizza

After this I should have around 5,000 subscribers and can take suggestions. Essentially I just want to sit with my food and a camera and record myself reviewing the food. I can't do it in a car because Japan doesn't have parking spaces like America does. I also can't drive. I already have part of the script ready for my opening episode. I'll post shortly. Obviously, I can't write the review for the point at which I have started eating because I will develop my opinions as I eat.
>>
>>1141049
Why not ask first
>>
File: review1.png (73KB, 619x368px) Image search: [Google]
review1.png
73KB, 619x368px
>>1141049
script
>>
>>1140934
Well he's responding to a Kiwi
>>
Ive got 2 questions, how much cloths should I bring for an 18-day trip? Do Movie Theater show movies in English sib? and by movie I mean animu movies. Like kimi no na wa. Thanks in advanced
>>
>>1141049
Order level 10 kare at Coco and film yourself eating it. Don't forget, no nose blowing.
That'll attract people for sure.
>>
>>1141049
Get takeout and eat it back at your place.
>>
>>1141053
Why are you baiting on /trv/ of all places?
>>
File: img6519144396013905019[1].jpg (21KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
img6519144396013905019[1].jpg
21KB, 480x270px
>>1141049
>I can't do it in a car because Japan doesn't have parking spaces like America does.
>Japan doesn't have parking spaces like America does
What the fuck are you even talking about?
>>
>>1141146
This looks like it's in the UK.
>>
>>1141182
Why do people assume that Japan is always going to be like some alien planet?
It's mcdonald's for fucks sake. It's not some ancient artisan burger hut with meat patties that have been carefully handfolded over 10000 times.
>>
>>1141187
No I meant the brick houses make it look like it's the UK.
>>
>>1141192
that's not brick
>>
>>1141192
Nigga, you think they all live in shinto temples that have passed down through 111 generations with 26 ancestral ghosts inhabiting the floorboards?
>>
>>1141146
McDonald's only look like that when you are atleast an hour from anywhere you'd actually want to go that isn't a domicile. Saw them all the time in Fukui and Ibaraki, but the closet one I saw to Tokyo was actually in a no name stop in Chiba where I worked
>>
File: 1430280123155.png (86KB, 756x574px) Image search: [Google]
1430280123155.png
86KB, 756x574px
>わ
>>
>>1141203

Meant for

>>1140955
>>
File: 1461192284860.jpg (163KB, 650x560px) Image search: [Google]
1461192284860.jpg
163KB, 650x560px
>>1141203
>>
>>1140430
>>1140434

I'm currently in the final stages of getting a job teaching English in Japan, so my advice may not be perfect but here's what I've experienced/heard

For finding jobs, use Gaijinpot. The blog section is the worst shit, but the job listings is fine. Sort by "Overseas Okay" and you'll be given a list of jobs that will sponsor a visa.

This is where it gets into conjecture; from what I've heard from expats, these jobs are almost always ALT/Eikawa stuff, so not the best in terms of pay/work. However, this is not meant to be an end goal; rather, you're supposed to get the visa, get to Japan, and then start to look for the good jobs that won't sponsor visas from overseas since in my experience all the good jobs require you to already be residing in Japan.
>>
>>1141213
This is what most people do. There was girl in my training, who admited during lunch she already had a another job lined up that wouldn't sponsor her visa as soon as training was over, but since it was paid training she wanted to take advantage of it
>>
Anyone here with experience in shipping stuff from Japan?
>>
I'm going to be in Japan for 3 weeks in August.

I'd like to visit the Kiso valley. I'll check out the cities of Tsumago & Magome. Anyone have experience with these places? Is it easy to get to them with public transport? Are they as peaceful as they seem? I'll be by myself.
>>
File: file.png (12KB, 76x79px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
12KB, 76x79px
>>1141193
Looks like a house you might find in the UK to me.
>>
Hey guys, does anybody know if there are places I shouldn't go? I mean like somwhere dangerous where I'll probably get killed or robbed or raped or something not good. I'll be living in Tokyo but don't limit there with the advice.
>>
File: Red in 下田市, Kanto.png (1MB, 1121x1121px) Image search: [Google]
Red in 下田市, Kanto.png
1MB, 1121x1121px
>>1141194
No, they live in places like this.
>>
Hi guys, I'm staying a few nights with some friends at Kyoto in November and I'm considering an Airbnb (location highlighted by the blue circle in pic related), is this a convenient location or not?
>>
would it be weird if i went to disneyland by myself?
>>
>>1141293
Just bring Pokemon GO with you when it releases
>>
>>1140782
>>1140834
Congratulations on forming a full sentence.
Perhaps someone will find you interesting some day.
>>
File: 1298146268348.jpg (114KB, 800x946px) Image search: [Google]
1298146268348.jpg
114KB, 800x946px
I went to Tokyo for the first time a couple of years ago and fell in love with the place, while I was out there I thought to myself that after having been all over the world I really felt like Japan was the only place outside the UK I could call home, I really felt something special and just in the two weeks I was there I was already making local friends.
My immediate family have all moved to Toronto and I'm the only one left in the UK, at this point I really feel like I'm willing to sacrifice my entire life to move to Tokyo, so don't doubt my sincerity here.
Since I was there my desire to move to Japan has only grown, but I have two main problems.
1. I don't speak Japanese
2. I have no real qualifications.
My Japanese is incredibly basic to say the least, I did do a Japanese language course in an evening college class once but the teacher was terrible, and I'm really struggling to teach myself.
I'm a REPs certified personal trainer but otherwise have no real qualifications, so teaching English is out of the question I think.
cont...
>>
File: 1337039973284.jpg (16KB, 332x500px) Image search: [Google]
1337039973284.jpg
16KB, 332x500px
>>1141311
I've got a couple of things going for me that I think will help though. First off I'm quite a personable individual, from my time as a personal trainer it was literally my career to make people like me, so I have no problems engaging people, presenting myself profesionally and making people believe I'm a switched on and capable individual.
Second I'm very fit and I think I reasonably handsome Englishman. Not only am I a personal trainer, but I also compete in muay thai and BJJ and was in the infantry reserves for three years. So I know how to handle myself and look the part.
I've heard that you can get jobs washing dishes and general kitchen work, and I'm willing to do absolutely anything so long as it pays the bills. But I'm hoping considering my appearance and skills I could maybe get some door work, even if I have to deal with the Nigerians in Kabukichō.
So are there any thoughts on my situation from anyone currently living in Japan? If I turn up with a few grand, a nice suit and a charming smile how far can I get?
>>
>>1141268
Go to shinjuku and take up a nigerian on their offer.
>>
>>1141312
Speak the language or know programming -->go to job fairs and look for job
Cant do either of the above--->english teacher

its that simple. Or you can work for a western company that has ties to japan and get a transfer.
>>
>>1141315
So kitchen or door work is completely out of the option?
(thanks for responding x)
>>
Anyone have inaka dating advice other than 'don't shit where you eat/live?'
>>
>>1141316
It's slim to none and it would be illegal. The company has to prove a Jap couldn't do your job. Go be a meme for the visa and learn niptalk then job search if you want it so bad.

Just realize you will never be Japanese and you can't run away from your problems forever.
>>
>>1141319
>illegal
Really? As a British citizen I can get a years working visa.
>Just realize you will never be Japanese and you can't run away from your problems forever.
I don't have any problems, my life is great, I'd just prefer it to be great in Tokyo.
>>
>>1141061
Depends on how often you need to do laundry, but generally 2-3 pants and 5-7 shirts. I haven't watched a movie in Japan, but in Taiwan, the movies are for the local language - so international movies are either dubbed in Chinese or will be in the native language (e.g. English) with Chinese subs.

>>1141272
IIRC that immediate area didn't have much to see (aside from the palace), but Kyoto's public transport (especially buses) is pretty extensive so you should be able to easily get to wherever you need from there.
>>
Is Kabukicho a rough place? We're staying at a hotel there in December because it's so central in Tokyo, is there anything we should be aware of?
>>
Why are hotels in tokyo so outrageously priced?
In europe and the US hotels in the same class or higher are like 10% of the price.
>>
>>1141355
>Kabukicho
Nowhere in Japan is a rough place....Even in Tokyo, Kabukicho isn't the 'roughest'.
>>
long shot but here it goes:
when would you suggest to exchange euro to yen?
My plane is in roughly 3 weeks and I'm planning on exchanging 600€ but the rate is shit (thanks, UK).
>>
>>1141382
>exchanging
Why the fuck?
Just use a credit card or withdraw when you're there.
This isn't the 80's.
>>
>>1141373
You can get a room in a 3 star hotel in the US for $8-15 a night? Clearly I'm making a mistake by living an apartment here then...
>>
>>1141386
>cherrypicking the absolutely lowest priced, 3 star hotel, probably outside the city
okay
>>
>>1141373
Because Tokyo is among the highest US$/m2 on the fucking planet and they need to cover the cost?

>>1141383
Because Japan is a country where using credit card as a payment form is still not as widespread as in other first world countries and it may be cheaper to exchange all at once instead of cashing out from ATMs where anon may have to pay fees?
>>
>>1141388
>paying extra to use your credit card abroad
Must suck having an account at oyveyshoa international.
>>
>>1141383
Guess how I can tell you're an American.
>>
>>1141393
retard.
if you don't have anything useful to say, shut your trap.
>>
>>1141399
You're wrong so... because you're retarded?
>>
>>1140477
How likely is this, and what is the process for application? I'm currently a sushi chef and would like further my skills/it is getting close to my usual wanderlust (I move a lot). Everyone I talk to (coworkers/customers from Japan) offers the plan of: 1. Learn Japanese (no shit) 2. Teach or find a wife there. I'm not sure how good of a teacher I'd be and marriage for citizenship seems like a gamble. I do however have a pretty decent sum of modeling experience so that option seems a bit more up my alley.
>>
>>1141401
kek. ditto.
>>
Should I stay at a ryokan for a night while in Kyoto, or should I do a trek to Hakone while I'm in Tokyo? Onsen are a key, food not so much. Gonna be with two other people (another female friend and my boyfriend)
>>
>>1141401
Oh the irony is killing me
>>
>>1141409
What's the gamble with marriage for citizenship?
Worst case scenario you'll probably have to fake some feelings to prove to the government that you're not only marrying for citizenship and you actually love each other.
>>
>>1141438
are you dumb?
I asked if someone had a guess when the yen would be weak and you shithead post something about credit cards.
that has literally nothing to do with the question
>>
>>1141326
In Japan all cartoons are dubbed. Movies used to always be subbed, but now they usually have two separate showings, one being dubbed and one being subbed.

The only place to find English subs for Japanese movies is in Roppongi as far as I know
>>
>>1141444
If we knew when the yen would be weak we would all be rich trading backs and forth
>>
What are the best beer places in Tokyo? What are some of the stouts I should try?
>>
>>1141061
>Do Movie Theater show movies in English sib?
No.
>>
How similar is kabukicho to yakuza's kamurocho?
>>
>>1141506
Is Kamurocho mostly nothing but hostess bars with some host bars thrown in.
Theres much better sex stuff in other parts of Shinjuku and Ikebukuro
>>
File: dat cherry.png (327KB, 1684x694px) Image search: [Google]
dat cherry.png
327KB, 1684x694px
>>1141387
???
>>
Is Mount Fuji worth checking out or climbing a bit?
>>
>>1141529
Nah, man. It's just a big bump in the surface of the earth.
>>
>>1141525
I was looking at the Dormy Inn Shibuya for my stay in Tokyo. Looks like a nice place.
>>
>>1141542
Dormy Inns are a safe bet just about anywhere.
>>
>>1141443
Two reasons. I don't know how everything works in Japan, but I've seen a lot of problems occur with green card marriages in the states. Our past experiences affect our current outlook, even if it is silly. The second reason is that I've never really been a romantic person, have very little experience with dating, none with marriage, much less for citizenship, and have no idea how I'd even go about such a thing (Even if I'm attractive and personable, I doubt there is much need for mail order husbands). I tend to be overly trusting and could be taken advantage of pretty easily too.
>>
>>1141529
It's beautiful from Kawaguchiko on a clear day. Not worth going to the base or 5th station unless you plan on going to the top though.
>>
File: 5th station.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
5th station.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>1141589
I wouldnt say that. 5th station has some nice views and tacky tourist shit. I of course still hiked to the top because I am not a little bitch. Just sayin' its not totally useless to hop on te bus and head up. You could even do a hike just down to kawaguchiko through the forest.
>>
File: !Inbox 8838.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
!Inbox 8838.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1141529
Go to the top and be sure your timing is nice
>>
>>1141563
I read somewhere that Japan started trying to stop green card marriage by researching and interviewing the couple before emitting the card. If they think that the couple married only for the card, they reject.
Not sure what are the criteria but I read that some people are requesting the card only after a few months (maybe a year) after they've married and that they even rent a house and live together. The most extreme case I've read about was about a guy who created a FB page with photos of him and the girl to fake a honeymoon or whatever and to fake his lovey-dovey life after. He rented a house and the girl lived with him but they each had their own life and he agreed to pay the girl a monthly sum for don't know how long (1 or 2 years I think).
In other words, it can be expensive, but doable. And maybe as much of a gamble as you state it could be.
>>
>>1141563
get fucked. their country does not exist for your convenience. you WILL get thrown in prison if discovered, and since you have to denounce citizenship in order to gain japanese citizensip (after a decade) it WILL end with you being stateless.
>>
Small, extremely pedantic question.

I recently learned about store workers saying 'Irrashaimase' when you enter. Are any of these responses considered weird to this: smiling at them, doing a small bow at them or giving them a small wave? I read you're typically not expected to respond, I just don't like not returning politeness but I don't want to look weird.
>>
File: 1459423925445.gif (1MB, 260x318px) Image search: [Google]
1459423925445.gif
1MB, 260x318px
>>1140053
Why the actual fuck would you waste 3000 dollars on molded plastic cunt
GET FUCKED
>>
>>1141713
>smiling at them
ok
>doing a small bow at them
looks too formal
>giving them a small wave
looks too casual but ok

usually i give them a quick glance and a nod or a smile for acknowledgement. if im in a rush, i just ignore them.
>>
Long shot, anyone been to universal studios in Japan with visible tatts?

First time in Japan next month, for a month. And hearing conflicting reports of Universal.

Not easily covered, pretty much Yakuza level arms, legs. Legs I could cover in Summer but a jumper would be getting a bit much.
>>
If anyone who is an english teacher in japan is willing to tell me anything out their experience moving to and living in japan, I would sincerely appreciate hearing about it. Please email me at [email protected]. I am in Japan right now on holidays for another 2 weeks. I would appreicate anything from the bottom of my heart!
Pic related: shinjuku park today
>>
>>1141664
Yeah, that all seems really risky and just overall not worth the effort (I dislike lying too, so the whole thing doesn't sit right).
>>
>>1141730
So how about a fucking shirt?
>>
>>1139995
I went there last year to do a photography project for university.

I started early in the morning at Shinjuku station and took I think three different trains to get to Kawaguchi over by Mt. Fuji. The first two trains you can use a JR pass/ticket/suica but the Kawaguchi train required an additional tourist ticket for like 1500yen or something. When you get to Kawaguchi you have to take a tourist bus for like another 1200yen or so, the map is simple (written in English and Japanese) and the bus announces the stops (in Japanese).
I was there in the winter like mid-February and the forest is usually snowy and icy so parts of it can get really slippery. There isn't really anything to do or see there, it's really quiet and has a sinister feel to it. If you're hoping to run into dead bodies or suicide kits and scenes the chances are very low because park rangers and police clean it up very quickly now.
The ice caves are again very cold and very tight to craw through so if you're a fat guy I don't recommend it, very steep and very slippery also. The ice cave is very pretty inside from what little light your phone can show you, it was very dark in there so bring a flashlight with you, I think you can also ask for boots at the front if you don't have good slip resistant shoes on. The wind cave is close by to there and also very beautiful.
Again going there in winter, most places are closed because tourist season is in summer in Kawaguchi/Saiko lake area. There isn't a lot to do or see there.

Another way to get there is to take a bus from Shinjuku station straight to Kawagchi station, I never did this option because I made several stops off the train to take pictures. I think it's like 6000yen roundtrip so not so bad.

One thing to note about the tourist bus that goes around the area is that it's last pickup is pretty early at like 18h and if you're not on the bus it's a long walk back to Kawaguchi from the caves, at night, in the snow.
>>
>>1141713
I just smile a bit or ignore them if it's a bigger store. I don't think they expect responses, lots of them tend to just say it in empty areas out of habit.
>>
>>1141803
different anon here, Im planning to hike the forest too. Do you think its too dangerous for someone with only a little desert hiking experience? Do you think winter is better than spring or summer?
>>
>>1141929
I only ever visited in the winter so I can't really say what time is better. I think probably with the warmer weather it would be better though. I didn't have any real hiking experience so you'll be fine if you stay on the path, they put signs up because the ground below can collapse easily in some places so of course it is dangerous, just be mindful of wherever you are walking.
But if you're going in summer to hike I'd recommend just climbing Fuji rather than go to the forest because there is literally nothing exciting about it.
The only people I ran into when I was there were some people taking their dog for a walk and a park ranger who asked about my equipment.
I've heard from other people that there are a lot of birds in the Spring, if you're into bird watching.
>>
So about to leave for Japan in a week and I'm wondering how's the weather over there? I know it's going to be humid but checked the forecast for Tokyo and Sendai since that's where I'll be in the beginning of my trip, and it says it's raining over in those areas when I arrive. Is the rain supposed to be heavy or is it just light showers here and there?
>>
Moving to Japan tomorrow (JET Program)

Feeling my usual pre-flight tension but nothing big.

Still 14 hours, how the fuck do you anons deal with it?

P.S. I'll be staying in Shinjuku, what do I hit up first??
>>
>>1141941
been here for two weeks, light rain almost every day, one day of really heavy rain. very humid, but getting much better now with 24 degrees instead of 32
>>
Any anons in tokyo wanna meet up tonight?
>>
Hey guys, are there any good bicycle tours of kyoto?
>>
How is it going through customs to and from Japanese airports? I've never gone through an international customs before, I was wondering if there's anything specific to Japan or anything that makes Japan specifically difficult (e.g. barely any English in forms)?
>>
>>1141742
most teachers leave because they can't stand the culture. you have to demonstrate dedication

if you demonstrate your love for japanese culture by discreetly masturbating to your favorite pornographic comic in front of them, it gives them the chance to inoffensively investigate your tastes, and is a chance to build a good bond with the interviewer.
>>
>>1141994

Forms are usually in Japanese on one side and English on the other and a good percentage of the workers there speak at least a little bit of english.

>>1141317

Tinder

>>1141293

Nope, it'll be kinda sucky though

>>1141061
If its a movie originaly in English, they will usually have atleast 1 screen showing it in eng with jp subs

>>1140982
pokemon center and shonen jump indoor amusement park (it sucks) i think the evangelion store too.

>>1140952
99 percent of the jp girls on tinder like food and traveling. i stopped caring about finding a meaningful relationship and just went to pound town

>>1141373
not that bad, i stayed at a hilton for ~$100 a night
>>
>>1142023
Oh cool, thank you for the information about the forms. Would you remember how long the process took for you? I'm planning my itinerary and wondering when I should aim to arrive in the airport. Sorry for the ignorance, I've genuinely never been through customs anywhere.
>>
>>1141999
Most teachers leave because its a pretty boring job with very little room for advancement and a hard salary cap that basically only gives you just enough money to drink on the weekends, but not enough for a house, a family, or anything real.
>>
I'm staying in Tokyo for 8 days with my partner. I've made a very rough itinerary and I'll be nailing the finer details down with time, but how does this sound?

Day 1-2: Stay in Tokyo.
Day 3: Disneyland
Day 4: Stay in Tokyo.
Day 5: Yokohama.
Day 6: Ghibli Museum/Tokyo.
Day 7: Hakone.
Day 8: Stay in Tokyo.

We're there for shopping, weebshit, arcades, sightseeing and eating.
>>
>>1141942
JET placed you in Shinjuku? How'd you manage to swing that?
>>
Ok i just got back to japan after going to taipei and seoul and am immeaditely reminded hlw fuxking psycho and bitchy the little shit stains called 'japanese women' are.

Anywhere else in the world, literally fucking ANYWHERE except japan can you simply talk to a girl, become acquianted , and (if using tinder or something) meet fairly quickly, even the day of.

But in japan,its nothing but endless bullshit and bitching

Anyone who defends this shit is dumb, a weaboo, or both. They are fucking broken
>>
>>1142173
Details, please.
>>
>>1142173
>goes to Korea
>thinks nip women are worse

You are pants on your fucking head retarded

source: lived in both for 2+ years, korean women are absolutely batshit insane and even korean men think so.
>>
>>1142169
orientation foo
>>
>>1142181
Ive been in japan 5 years witj multiple trips to korea

And once to north korea.

No. They are similar, but lesser than the japanese in their craziness, like many things

North koreans are more mentally well adjusted than jap women
>>
>>1142025
Not the guy you replied to but when we went both times forms were handed out on the plane a few hours before landing and you just filled it out then. They're quick 5 minute things, unless you forget to bring a pen.
>>
>>1142173
>>1142190
let's hear some greentexts
>>
>>1142190
>Took a few vacations there vs someone who lived there
>Thinks he met some real people in NK

Yea I'm going to believe the guy who lived there
>>
Hi trv, ive done most of the tourist stuff, what do today ?
>>
>>1141942
Watch movies, listen to music, try some crossword puzzles... I can't read on planes because I get motion sickness.

Don't forget to get up and do a lap around your section of the plane every couple of hours to improve the circulation in your feet and legs.
>>
File: trecr_by_zcocota-da58g18.jpg (83KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
trecr_by_zcocota-da58g18.jpg
83KB, 894x894px
Can anyone recommend the cheapest places to stay for about 20 days?

Would only get a motel if I made some pals
>>
>>1142306
your parents house or a good friend's house if they're nice enough.
>>
>>1142036

This desu senpai, taught for two years with Interac and sent home to find a real career.

Great company, no regrets. But it is not a career at all unless you can find a way to get hired direct by the school boards. I spoke N2 Japanese but still could not get on with the school district directly because it would violate their contracts with Interac. Do not wanna get sued.
>>
>>1142333
Ignore the typos, i fucking hate tablets...
>>
File: 1446011392334.jpg (25KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1446011392334.jpg
25KB, 600x450px
Anyone here gonna be in or near Akiba in the next couple days, or know some one who will? I need a small errand done. I'm willing to pay for it.
>>
File: SHIRAKAWA_GOU.jpg (570KB, 1070x803px) Image search: [Google]
SHIRAKAWA_GOU.jpg
570KB, 1070x803px
I'm slowly planning a Japan trip for me and my husband. I'm a little nervous since its my first time traveling by myself (instead of with family). Staying in one location doesnt freak me out but the JR rail and general transit does for some reason. Just scared I'm going to miss a bus or train or go to the wrong stop.

Anyways, I'm coming to specifically ask how difficult it is to travel to more rural Japan destinations? I'm 100% planning the trip without my husbands involvement and want to make sure we can go to some destinations he would be interested in.
I'm mostly interested for the big cities, shopping, cute cafes, etc. He's more interested in the shrines and farm country of Japan. I know for sure he wants to go to Shirakawa, Gifu. How difficult would it be to make it out there specifically?

I have a healthy budget and am thinking of staying for about 3 weeks. What other areas/cities of Japan would you recommend besides Tokyo? I mostly hear about people traveling to Nagoya, Hiroshima, Kyoto, and Osaka.

>how fucking fucked am I going to be with minimal moonrune skills traveling into the farmlands
>not planning on going until sometime next year so hopefully i can learn a bit more nipponese
>>
I'm planning for my trip to Japan and I generally see two reactions to Akihabara:

>Yeah it's cool, video games and anime and stuff.
>I was so excited for Akihabara but it's such a disappointment. Creepy people and degeneracy everywhere, drugged up maid cafe workers and it's grimy.

Is it really that disappointing? I'm excited for it but it's not like I'm basing my entire trip around it, I'll be spendig either a day or two half-days there. Just seems like a cool place to go video game, technology and anime shopping. I'll also be checking out Nakano Broadway.
>>
>>1142518

My friend went there last October was kind of disgusted by it. He isn't a huge weeb however, he does like some anime. He felt grossed out about it and said it felt like an "anime ghetto."

I'm personally not terribly interested in going. I think if I did I would mainly be looking for some anime figures off my MFC wishlist or checking out the arcades.
>>
>>1142518
I didn't really have high expectations but I liked it. I mostly just browsed some of the bigger stores, bought some merch and manga and tried a Maid Cafe (would recommend trying, but I wouldn't go in there a second time). It's really just a shopping area dedicated to anime/games and tech stuff
>>
>>1142521
>I think if I did I would mainly be looking for some anime figures off my MFC wishlist or checking out the arcades.

Yeah that sounds like me. My priority in Akihabara is arcades > video game shopping > technology shopping > some pre-determined figure shopping. Not really interested in a maid café or anything.
>>
>>1142518
Akihabara is pretty awesome. Two downsides was that it can get really crowded in the streets and stores and people do smoke in arcades. I was expecting nerd smell in those, but got secondhand smoke instead.

It's best to do your shopping on the weekdays since it's a lot easier to find stuff that you want.
>>
>>1142525
>I was expecting nerd smell in those, but got secondhand smoke instead.

I'm not sure which is worse. One of them is a lingering, sickening stench that only serves to remind everyone of the cancerous plague on society it came from... the other is just from cigarettes.
>>
File: 17177189582_87cd779ef7_k.jpg (2MB, 2048x1357px) Image search: [Google]
17177189582_87cd779ef7_k.jpg
2MB, 2048x1357px
I am Canadian looking to take a trip to Japan from September 15th to September 26th, I have already budgeted my trip in its entirety, and after food, water, accommodations, transport, pocket wifi and a Suica, my budget is ¥16560 per day.

Is that enough to do all the shit I would want to do?
>>
>>1142563
Depends on the accommodation but unless you stay in a fancy hotel in Chiyoda, it should be much more than enough.
>>
>>1142564

I am doing AirBNB, I have several places lined up, each between $28-45CAD per night.
>>
>>1142567
>>1142567
>>1142567

I forgot to mention (because I am an idiot), I am staying near Osaka.
>>
>>1142568
Derp, the Shibuya pic confused me.
In Osaka + Airbnb, it's indeed more than enough. You will have a lot to waste in the end.
>>
New bread >>1142616
>>
Hey /trv/, I pretty much know my answer, but would like your input.

Spent most of my vacation days and the only time left for travel is a week around New Years (Dec 23rd - Jan 3rd). I wouldn't mind spending it in Japan, but I've been reading it's not a good time to go.

It won't be my first time visiting Japan and I've already been to the big touristy places (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka) and a bunch of smaller stops (Nagoya, Okinawa). Living in NYC, I would love to visit the Chuugoku region, specifically the San'in region just to see the very rural side of Japan.

I would like to spend most of it in Tottori and Shimane Prefecture, and maybe end it in Hiroshima for the New Years. I'm budgeting ~US$3300 including flight and board for the trip and my Japanese is around JLPT N3 level.

Should I spend more time thinking about it or save the money for a trip next year? Anybody actually a local here?
>>
Hey everyone I was hoping for some advice. A friend and I plan to go to Japan over the summer in 2017. He turns 21 mid July, so we were thinking of going then so we can both drink. But we're also both poor college kids paying for the trips ourselves. I guess my main questions are
>Cheapest summer months to visit?
>Is two weeks enough to chill around tokyo (including a few days dedicated to seeing certain sights)?
>Any general tips for poor peeps? Can I use my US commerce debit card at atms there?
>Do they have any youth hostel like places? (Looking to save $$$ whenever possible
>Is the cheapest way to fly to just try to find discounted airfare
Sorry for the jumble, I'm on mobile. Pls travel peeps share your knowledge I aspire to be one of you
>Also hoping not to spend more than 4000 USD total, is this possible?
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.