[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/alsace/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

I will be going to Alsace next month, anybody been there? I am looking for a family friendly normie trip, cultural, let's say, but alternate suggestions of what to do there are welcomed as well.

So, go forth, what should I visit?
>>
>anybody been there?

i live there

>what should I visit?

for how long will you be staying ?

>family friendly normie trip, cultural

assuming you're here for more or less one week :

* definitely visit Strasbourg. I'm maybe a little biased because it's my city, but it's one of the finest cities in France.
The city center and the Petite France neighborhood are really nice (pic related), and the cathedral is something special. Those are very standard tourist spots and will be very crowded in August, but they're worth a visit.
You can also visit the european parliament if you think this may interest you. I'd advise touring the Neustadt, a neighborhood built by the Germans in the late nineteenth century, in a very monumentalist fashion.
There are some very interesting museums regarding art or history, I can get more into details if you're interested.
Strasbourg is very easy to navigate and the public transportation system is top notch. However, the city authorities are trying to discourage people from using their car within the city limits, so do not try to reach things by car, use te tramway network or rent a bike.

* visit some castles. I don't know where you're from, but my friends who visited Alsace were always positively impressed by medieval castles. The Haut Koenigsbourg is a nice one, it's been renewed and rebuilt and overlooks the whole Alsace plain (gorgeous view), however it is very touristy and crowded. If you want to go a little bit off the beaten track, the Ortenbourg and Rammstein castles are nice ones, with the same beautiful view.
* travel along the "route des vins" : it's a winding road that crosses the Alsace vineyards (your pic). Many beautiful little cities along the road : Obernai, Barr, Ribeauvillé, Riquewihr, Kaysersberg, Eguisheim (the best one imo).
This can keep you busy for a few days honestly. You should rent a car for this.

(1/2)
>>
File: efacade2.jpg (61KB, 416x555px) Image search: [Google]
efacade2.jpg
61KB, 416x555px
Do you already know where and how long to stay ? Colmar would be one of the comfiest places in Alsace, lovely in itself and quite close to other major Alsatian cities. Among the usual touristic spots be sure to at least not miss Strasbourg's cathedral and European Parliament, the Haut-Koenigsbourg castle and Ribeauvillé. Mulhouse might interest you for its zoo and Train and Automobile museums, which are actually pretty cool for such an all-around shitty city.
According to me, the best trip you could have in Alsace in summer would be to just drive/cycle to random villages and enjoy the food and sights, especially with the upcoming and numerous Wine Festivals (Eguisheim is a cool one).
>t.Alsatian
>>
>>1137195
(2/2)
* Check Colmar, it's a neat little city with ancient architecture and canals, and their art museum (Unterlinden) is worth a visit. However, Colmar gets boring quickly and I would not advise to stay there for more than a day.

* Go to the Vosges if you like outdoors. There are some gorgeous sceneries in the hautes Vosges, which can be easily reached from Colmar (20-30 minutes drive, there are also buses and trains). I recommend hiking near the Hohneck mountain or near the gazon du Faing / lac des Truites (closest village is Orbey).

* If you have some time left, maybe visit Mulhouse. It is not a beautiful city, but it has some interesting remains of its industrial past and a nice, although small, historic city center.

>alternate suggestions of what to do there are welcomed as well.

what are you into / what would you like to do ? All my suggestions are very generic ones (and keep in mind that following them will make you go to very touristy and crowded spots), but I know my region very well and there are some other hidden gems.

One last thing : the weather in August can be very hot (I'm talking up to 35°C), which tends to surprise people in my experience, and there can be quite heavy thunderstrorms. Be aware of that.
>>
>>1137210
Thanks, frenchbro, I took note of all of that, I am staying five days in total, and will be travelling by car from Catalonia (10 hour drive).
I may bypass mullhouse, as it seems just an industrial city and we are looking more for the natural and comfy part of your region.
Thanks for the info ;)
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.