[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 22

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Had to create one, since all of the threads I browse are swarmed with irrelevant stuff, I can't even think of the whole /trv/

I start.

Are hostels guest-friendly? Can I bring over a girl (Hooker or someone I picked up)?

Does it have to be double room in order to be able to have guests in your room? (Doesnt have to be over-night, just an hour)
>>
Sorry your getting no traffic my /trv/ansexual. I have no answer but I have my own hostel related question. How do you even find out about these places? Very specific internet searches? I want to use hostels but I don't know how to find them.
>>
>>1131423
You google 'hostel in lovation'
>>
>>1131396
>>Are hostels guest-friendly? Can I bring over a girl (Hooker or someone I picked up)? Does it have to be double room in order to be able to have guests in your room? (Doesnt have to be over-night, just an hour)

Just as with hotels, each hostel has its own policy regarding guests so who knows? Ask the hostel and find out. It's not hard.
If you're too autist to do that in person, send an anonymous e-mail.
>>
No, hostels are not guest friendly. I've never even seen a hostel that would officially allow overnight guests in a private room, but if they blend into the traveler community I'm sure you could sneak her in. If you're somewhere like Asia trying to get a local girl back to the room then she'll stick out and you'll be stopped for sure.

When I'm expecting to bring a girl back to my room I'll just get a cheap hotel for the night.
>>
>>1131423
Best bet is TripAdvisor and searching for "specialty lodging". A few different booking sites/apps - HostelWorld, Booking.com, Agoda - will list the ones that have online booking available, but some hostels aren't listed on every site.
>>
>>1131396
>Are hostels guest-friendly? Can I bring over a girl (Hooker or someone I picked up)?
>Does it have to be double room in order to be able to have guests in your room? (Doesnt have to be over-night, just an hour)
Hostels are never ok with hookers and there's always rules against non-guests inside the guest area. Basically no.

Private rooms are a different story, you're going to be ok with a hookup there but they might want the person to check in. An obvious hooker is probably not going to be allowed but idunno, maybe some hostels might let it slide in a private room.

If you're going to bring back a hooker, get a private room with access that doesn't go past the front guest. Or just use a hotel for your sex tourism.
>>
>>1131423
>How do you even find out about these places?
I almost always use either the YHA site for that country, or Lonely Planet.

Other people use things like HostelWorld or HostelBooker.
>>
Reposting from last thread

i want to go to auckland nz from america what should i expect? how do i make friends if i am aspie? can you rent motorcycles or buy shitty ones for dirt cheap there?

Also how do you lads from aus and nz afford to travel anywhere shit is so expensive to fly out
>>
Ameri/trv/ler here, where can i go before i get my passport? It shouldnt arrive until late august and i want to make the most of this summer
>>
>>1131396
almost never guest-friendly, but if its someone you meet in a bar or something the guys at the reception probably won't notice since they work different shifts and can't know all guest

>>1131423
When travelling around south east asia I always used hostelworld.
Reliable and easy
>>
How is Universal Studios?

Been wanting to go since that Harry Potter attraction was announced, but it would be quite a drive for me even if I today off
>>
>>1131476
Shitty cars with 349493423 miles on them dont even go for cheap in NZ. Motorcycles maybe...
>>
>>1131506
You queue for 3 hours for 1 attraction and then you feel violated.
>>
>>1131498

US is beautiful. What's your flavor? Savannah Georgia, Cape May NJ, Lancaster PA, NYC, Denver/Colorado general, West coast in general, you can see Niagara Falls, grand canyon, Great Lakes general, zion nat park/yellowstone/yosemite/redwoods, New England general, NC/SC beaches, Shenandoah VA.

I hate that our passport process is so retarded and expensive and takes forever.
>>
>>1131506
Harry Potter land is literally the stand in line ride. The architectural layout of the lines were magnificent. We stood in a line for 3 hours constantly moving but not going any where. Buy the damn skip-the-long-line-by-standing-in-a-shorter-line pass.
>>
>>1131506
Los Angeles or Florida Harry Potter?
>>
File: 1384365574002.jpg (65KB, 476x476px) Image search: [Google]
1384365574002.jpg
65KB, 476x476px
Im planning on doing my first backpacking trip outside of europe in december (about two weeks) with a friend. So far we have no idea where we should go. If I recall correctly I´ve someday read on /trv/ that SEA is superior to South America in terms of pricing, safety and transportation and therefore more suited for novice travellers. Am I correct on this?
Basically we want to do a more or less standard trip with some culture, architecture, nature, drinking and swimming on nice beaches. Big plus if the place is not completely overrun by tourists (but no need for real traveller stuff). Destinations that seem to match with what were looking for are Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam and Bali. Did we overlook something? Suggestions are welcome.
>>
I'm going to backpack around Europe in October throughout November and possibly December starting in Rome.
I really want to add the Scandinavian countries in my route but since I'm going with only a carry-on bag I can only carry so much clothing.
How would you guys recommend I proceed with clothing for the Scandinavian cold? Bringing warmer clothes from home doesn't sound like the best solution due to space limitations and if I do go to those countries, it'll probably be in November/December.
>>
Ok so I will be going to Paris to study abroad very soon (American here) and let's say I want to go to the UK and Amsterdam. Do I need a visa from each country or what? Would my passport suffice?
>>
>>1131513
I've got a recent surge to get out and see the world, and I'll start with my country. The problem is, no one I know is down for the same type of trip I'm down for, namely driving around America and seeing everything.

Do you guys think I can enjoy it alone?
>>
>>1131853
I have no idea how much you enjoy doing things alone. It is certainly something that some folks have done enjoyably.
>>
>>1131853
ow is down for the same type of trip I'm down for, namely driving around America and seeing everything.

this is me i feel u anon, if you enjoy spending time alone i recommend it. maybe make a smaller trip and then save a big plan with some friends, u might meet some cool people in your solo trip too
>>
>>1131476
Expect crappy winter weather.

And don't come to Auckland you might as well go to browse the net instead. Go somewhere like the South Island, or a town up North.
>>
>>1131701
>If I recall correctly I´ve someday read on /trv/ that SEA is superior to South America in terms of pricing, safety and transportation and therefore more suited for novice travellers
That's mostly what I've heard in general although I'm not sure how much cheaper
>>
I'm backpacking Europe for 40 days but I need a bag. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Every bag I see looks very hiking style and just screams tourist
>>
>>1131704
Depending where you go in scandi renting winter clothing/boots would be an option
>>
>>1132139
I used an Osprey Talon 44L bag when I went to Europe a couple of years back. The trip lasted about 10 weeks and was mostly spent in cities (not much hiking) so I used the bag primarily going to and from hostels between destinations.

Aesthetically, it's hard to find something that doesn't make it obvious that you're a traveler. Depending on the place, even wearing something like a regular backpack would blow your cover. So it's probably best not to worry about it too much, though of course you don't want anything too flashy.
>>
English-only (American English) speaker here.

Which European countries would be easiest for me to travel around regarding language/communication. Obviously England but what about the others?
>>
File: $_57.jpg (112KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
112KB, 1200x1600px
>>1132150
Thanks for your help I am edging towards Osprey at the moment

Does anyone have any experience with the Osprey Farpoint 40? My only problem with it right now is if you cannot tuck away the belt
>>
>>1132147
I'll probably stick to major cities and nearby surroundings. Want to at least do the Oslo-Bergen line. Maybe I'll also jump to Stockholm and Helsinki, but sticking to only one country is also an option for now (which I guess is what I'd have to do if I were to rent).
The possibilities I see are renting, buying there or buying right before I go there (don't know where it'd be cheaper in this case...Czech Republic? Austria? Poland?)
>>
How many days should i spend in san francisco?
>>
>>1132237
5 days.
>>
>>1132158
Most of Western Europe is pretty good with it, especially Scandinavia and Germany. Obviously try to learn a few phrases and they will take pity on you.
>>
>>1131396
I'm from the USA. I will be in Hungary/Austria/Germany/Slovakia for a few weeks. I have a Galaxy S7 on Sprint. Is there any way to buy SIM cards and get data so I can use Google Maps and shit like that? Sprint has a global thing but I'm sure buying a sim would get me more data and better coverage.
>>
>>1131701
>>1131946
Anyone?
South America or SEA for beginners? Any top-tier country we left out?
>>
File: pokerface.gif (997KB, 269x201px) Image search: [Google]
pokerface.gif
997KB, 269x201px
>>1131396
How feasible would it be to roadtrip around North America in a Honda Civic? No hotels/motels. Has anyone had any experience reclining the seat and sleeping in parking lots or anything of that sort?
>>
>>1132233
https://www.reddit.com/r/Norway/comments/38aikj/clothes_for_a_norwegian_winter_i_am_from_australia/

Bergen is wet, Oslo is going to be cold but not arctic cold, that thread has links to cheap places to buy in Norway, I'd imagine you could find clothing for cheap in supermarkets in any of your option countries, but some research is in order
>>
>>1132346
Awesome! I'll check the link and do do some research around!
Thanks!
>>
>>1132329
>Has anyone had any experience reclining the seat and sleeping in parking lots or anything of that sort
yes, it's pure cancer and you'll want to kys after a solid week (unless you're a really easy sleeper), this is doable in some cars but you really just want to get a van and put a mattress in there

if you end up doing the trip, take a gym membership at a gym chain so you can take showers there
>>
>>1132314
I mean, SEA is cheaper and easier if you speak only English. Some people like having a bit more of a challenge with it though so it all depends. Where are you flying out of? since that changes overall cost as well.
>>
>>1132314
Main "advantage" of SA is that pretty much all countries speak the same language: Spanish.
Accent and probably some words will change, but overall you can probably survive.
Though I'm not sure English is so prevalent in SA as it seem to be in SEA.
Besides that, both SEA and SA have a wide variety of landscapes, climates and shit to see. You have mountains, plains, beaches, forests, historical cities, ancient ruins. Don't know if SEA has indigenous populations, though.

So both are good places with a lot of similarities. I'd just check exchange rate and go wherever is cheaper.
>>
Going to Switzerland, want to take the Glacier Express.
Should I just take the entire route in one go or should I stop along the way sightseeing the cities? Are there any interesting cities along the way? I'm mainly interested in scenic stuff so bars and drinking is not really in priorities.
>>
Flying into Brazil on Saturday, gonna stay for 2 weeks. How much cash should I bring? I'm a pretty budget traveller. Where is the best place to withdraw more cash over there?
>>
What's the best way to get over my irrational fear of flying?
>>
>>1133289
Watch 'Alive'. Read extensive reports of the Malaysian missing flight, or about the other shot down by the Russians over Ukraine. Or about the one where the German maniac slammed a plane of innocent teenagers into a mountain last year.

And all that shit combined is still less than the deaths caused by car accidents per week.
>>
>>1133241
>Where is the best place to withdraw more cash over there?
From you, gringo. Stick 'em up! ehuehuehuehue
>>
Will live with a host family. Can I volunteer to walk their dog?
>>
>>1133291

>how do i get over my fear of flying?
>"watch alive"

Please never change 4chan
>>
>>1134243
No.
You're obviously retarded and would be a threat to the dog.
>>
30 year old British here. Literally never be3n aboard. Spent my 20s being a NEET

I got a job in earlier this year and can afford to go somewhere in Sept. Would prefer somewhere warm with things to do and see and not too expensive. Recommendations?
>>
Is there a site with an interactive map I can put countries I went to, want to go, etc?
>>
>>1134286
Gmaps.
>>
>>1134284
Paris in September is beautiful.

Otherwise, Naples, Rome, Granada, Barcelona... all easy mode for a first trip.
>>
Travel alone or not?

I've been saving up all year for some sort of holiday this summer, but the only friends available at the moment only want to go on 'lad's holidays' - I'd much rather go hiking and camping somewhere, or doing a trip which takes in more culture. Should I just go for it alone? On one hand I hate the feeling of doing nothing and wasting my summer, but on the other, it feels like it could just be miserable and make me feel more lonely if I'm going to these cool places but not sharing them with anyone.
>>
Has anyone used california zephyr before?

I want to visit san francisco (soft on this) and am a no-car fag, so I was gonna use the train. Can I take a bike on the train, economy seat? How is SF, bike friendly? Cool? I've never been to the west coast before and I figured why not. Also looking for recs on what's good there and cheap. I'll use a hostel or airbnb.

If you know if it's possible to see all the dates they have tickets available, rather than blindly putting in a date and hoping, I'd like that. I have flexibility on when to go.
>>
>>1134330

Go solo. Probably most on /trv/ do. I've been solo camping plenty of times, it's COMFY.

>>1132329

Sleeping in cars is miserable. Use airbnb, it's like $20 a night and you can get a bed and a hot shower and a place to microwave your ramen or whatever. Or camp in a tent. Or shit both.
>>
Where do I buy cheap liqour in Gdynia?
>>
>>1134334
I only rode the Zephyr from Denver to Salt Lake, and spent time in both cities, seeing nature. I had a rental car both places, and it was pretty extreme weather I wouldn't have wanted to bike in. The glass topped cars are nice, and at the time I went, they were open seating and some people came and went, and others occupied them nonstop. There was more comfort below and the sights were gorgeous: from snow capped mountains to rolling tumbleweed and desert. All the while you see the colorado river and occasional rafters down below. This was the "most scenic" portion of the ride, and not sure about the rest, but a quick call about the bike as luggage might be simple to answer.

San Fran is certainly a bikers dream town, but could be a bit scary for someone on some of those hills, LOL. I've been several times and did taxis and cable cars mostly, and then a car for outside the city and the rest of California. This is such a "green" part of the world, that I bet you'll see accommodations on transit and other ways to encourage your biking rights. I haven't been in a while.
>>
Flying to london from america in august, and the cheapest flight takes me on a stop to istanbul turkey. What with all the recent shit going on, would it be worth it to drop a bit more cash on the flight so I don't get allah ackbar'd?
>>
>>1135442
I fail to see how you think spending more on a flight will reduce the chance of a suicide bombing. I really really really doubt that cost of flight is one of the top considerations for an aspiring suicide bomber.
>>
File: mapoftravelsf.png (333KB, 602x624px) Image search: [Google]
mapoftravelsf.png
333KB, 602x624px
>>1135411

Thanks bro. I decided not to take my bike as I would have to box it (disassemble partly.) Also I hate biking on hills. I'll use the cable cars I guess.

How much did the car rental cost? I'm using 40 per day for the cheapest car as an estimate. Here's my itinerary so far if you're familiar with the area. San Fransisco/Golden Gate, Mendocino, Fort Bragg, Napa, Mendocino national forest, Clear Lake, Point Arena-Stornetta Public Lands, City of 10,000 buddhas, maybe Skaggs Island. Look good? Anything else worthwhile?

Just booked the train, was 280 roundtrip. Estimating 800 for the entire trip cost including that.
>>
>American girl from Cali traveling around Norway with college tour
>Ate at a restaurant that our teacher recommended with her and most of the people in our tour group (teacher isn't into drinking while most of the other people drank a bit of alcohol)
>Tried alcohol (i.e. beer) for the third time in my life
>Started laughing and lightly slamming my hand against the table before I finished a cup of beer
>Nobody else acted that way
How embarrassing was this? I wasnt expecting myself to react like thid to alcohol. Should I apologize?
>>
>>1136347
Maybe a little bit lol just make a joke of it
>>
>>1136347

tits or gtfo
>>
>>1136347
>Should I apologize?

tell me how you would go about doing this, i'd love to hear
>>
Quite new on this board and figured you guys don't want another one of these threads.

I'm going near Nice for 2 weeks. I've already seen enough of Monaco but what are some other places in the French riviera I should check out? Where should I go if I wanted to party? I'd probably end up with a small debt of a million dollars in Monaco.

I'm traveling with my family and we'll spend some time in Italy too. I was thinking I'd at least visit Cannes.
>>
>>1136472
You want a family friendly place or are you going to escape from your family and have some unspeakable degenerate fun?
>>
>>1136477
Both. Planning to drive around/be on the beach with my family during the day and then have my escapades.

They have incredible difficulties leaving the hotel's pool and getting anywhere so maybe just the latter.
>>
Can anybody suggest a good place in the UK to buy travel proof shirts in person?

I don't want to have to keep sending things back if the size is wrong.
>>
How would one go about travelling on the smallest budget possible? I grew up practically impoverished and now I have an income, I'd like to save money to travel but realistically it most likely wouldn't be enough for any sort of luxary, however I think sleeping in your rented car and hitting the road is all part of the fun.
>>
>>1136549

Couchsurfing and hitchiking. Dumpster diving.

Personally I would boondock in a rental car and eat food from grocery stores most of my meals. You can ALWAYS go lower budget, but is it worth it? I mean, get kneepads if you want.

There's also about a thousand blogs and several books on cheapskate travel. Personally I don't comprehend normies that pay 200 a night for a hotel. That's 2k for a 10 day trip right there, not including food, which normies always buy out at frilly restaurants, or transit, or entrance fees, or anything else. It's great because most of them thus don't travel often and don't leave the resorts and tourist traps, but it is quite incomprehensible. I'd sooner sleep in a gutter than spend more than 40 a night on accomodation, and even then 40 is on the high side in my opinion.
>>
>>1136559
Honestly, I don't enjoy eating at restaurants at home anyway, why would I want the same pretentious food abroad?

When I want to spain, I often enjoyed the cheap street vendors and found the experience a lot better in terms of food than the second time I went with more money and ate at fancy restaurants, I imagine it'd be the same anywhere.

I'll look up some of those blogs though, thanks for some input
>>
>>1136560

I've never had street food. Is it all like junk food? I usually eat healthy.

When I go on trips I only eat out once a day. Restaurant meals are pretty filling. Then I have whatever snacks I brought. Don't think I've ever spent more than 20 on a meal including drinks, usually around 10. Just gotta know what restaurants to go to.
>>
>>1136589
It depends entirely on where you are and the local cuisine, check out local markets and the like, there's usually some vendors selling something already prepared and open to haggling, it could be healthy or total junk.

I got some fresh fruit in Barcelona for my cooler bag before I hit the road for just under 4 euro from a street vendor and it lasted me 5 days.
>>
Which country has the strongest partying culture?
>>
How necessary is a real travelling backpack when going to SEA for 1-1.5 months?
>>
Cheapest international flights from Texas are to Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador, and Honduras. Where should I go? I'm fluent in Spanish as well.
>>
I am an American with no greater desire than to live in Europe, specifically Germany or Holland. I am a college graduate but my degree is in psychology so I don't know what sort of work I'd be qualified for that a local couldn't do. The utter absence of the refinement and cultural splendor that exists in Europe becomes less tolerable with each passing day where I live.

I want to have cultured people capable of significant conversations around me and it's the Europeans that I have met who offered this to me while I traveled in the past. I want to be able to go and enjoy the sight of artistic architecture and the sounds of Mendelssohn and Beethoven's music performed live. The States are nice for those who are indifferent to the beauty to be found in art, but I feel I belong in Europe.

I was thinking of finding a master's program but it would only be to live there, which I don't think is an appropriate reason to pursue a master's. I would appreciate any advice that might introduce new ideas to me.
>>
>>1136726
This is probably a troll, but goddamn you're delusional about Europe. If you want to talk to more cultured/refined people, seek them out where you live. Go to the Arts faculty of your uni and talk to people or take courses.
Europe is not some holy grail where everyone has MAs in classical arts and orchestras are playing on every fucking street corner. Also, you're not gonna tell me that no one in the entire US is performing Medelssohn or Beethoven live, or that there are no worthwhile museums.
Go on a few long vacations to Holland or Germany first and talk to average people, then see what you want. In many cases it's mostly plebs who couldn't tell two artistic movements from each other, just like in America.
>>
>>1136745
These things are of course here but the demographic that appreciates and enjoys them consists of such a small, aged group that when someone who does not fit in that group expresses interest, they are seen as abnormal or worse yet, pretentious. I finished uni and would not be interested in hanging around a campus simply to have someone with similar interests. I get why it seems I harbor a grand ideal, but it's my fault for not being specific. I would be interested in living in a larger city, Amsterdam or Berlin where I imagine the philistines are not so numerous as they are in the rural areas or in the entirety of the States.

However, if you have any place here that you'd recommend I will look into it. I live near DC so I know that there are a lot of museums and concerts; I have attended many but they are too few. To me, it simply feels out of place here. It is quite disenchanting to leave a chamber performance or a gallery to be met with panhandlers, the reminder of the general apathy toward beauty in the majority walking by, and the banal structures that only add to the banal ambiance of the uncultured city.
>>
>>1136764
As a European, I can tell you now that not every single person is magically cultured or that Europe is a stronghold for the patrician tastes, whatever you may define said tastes as.

People are just like you, but with different customs and languages, we work, we get drunk, we have one night stands, we watch shitty reality tv and we go to bed.
>>
>>1136548
Travel proof?
>>
Reposting from another thread:

I'm thinking of traveling to Belgium to meet my gf, who is a local. We were thinking of renting a hotel room and exploring the city and shit, the thing is she's still 17. Could I get in trouble over that? I'm not exactly old (20) but I have no idea if it would be suspicious and shit despite the age of consent just because I'd be a foreign.

Would they require her ID card if I booked a room for 2 people and brought her with me? Could that get me in trouble?
>>
>>1136806
What's the age of consent where you live and the specific legislation for internationals in Belgium? That should answer your question, do some research.
>>
>>1136810
It's 16 in both places. I'm not sure if that's the problem though.

What I'm worried about is having a minor under my responsibility basically, is it allowed given that I'm not directly related to her in any way or form right now?

Would I need a letter of consent from her parents confirming that she's under my care?
>>
>>1136816
I think its a grey area and the better bet would be to wait a year until she's of age
>>
Got one of these ( http://www.transatlantic.co.uk/brandit-combat-rucksack-65-litre.html ) for other use but would it be any good for back packing sort of travel and would be too big to use as a carryon?
>>
>>1136793
Stuff that doesn't need ironing, dries quickly or which can handle being worn a lot well.

Problem is most of it is outright field gear or looks hideous.
>>
>>1136835
http://expediablog.co.uk/hand-luggage-size-weight-guide/
>>
>>1136764
>Amsterdam
>somewhere with little philistines
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
The large majority of the locals don't care about art, they just go about their lives. 90% of tourists come for parties, booze, whores, and weed. Amsterdam is home to some of the worst plebs I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong, there are quite a few nice places and museums, but you are fucking deluded if you seriously think people are all yearning to talk culture with tourists. The people who do want to talk about culture are either uni student or the same sort of people you described from America. You're sounding like a weeb who believes that Japan is a land full of superior culture where there are hundreds of girls waiting for white cock. Get fucking real man.
Source: I live in Holland and have been there
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 321x429px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 321x429px
I'm fat, autistic and haven't had a haircut in a year. Can I score with chicks in Japan?
>>
>>1136879
Smuganimegirl.jpg
>>
>>1136877
Please brother, do not compare me to those weebs who are deluded by a fetish for a nine resulting from a stunted development to travel to Japan in hopes of serving as the tentacle they have so often looked to with admiration.

No, it is art that inspires my desire to move. To expand further the understanding and standard for beauty, that it may be created with greater effectiveness. It is unfortunate what you say about Amsterdam; the most intelligent people I have met were from there and gave me the impression that I would find what I desire. It seems a master's program is my only option. I already have one practically useless degree, I suppose I might as well get another and study classics. Thanks for your input.
>>
>>1136887
Listen man, I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. If you want to, go ahead. Have a blast. I'm just saying that it's not all your making it out to be.
In any case, good luck and have fun. Make the most of it.
>>
>>1136887
>>1136906 here again. If you really want culture without plebs and such, look into one of the smaller cities (Utrecht, Groningen especially, Maastricht is pretty good too). They're all so-called student cities, where a large part of the population is enrolled in a uni or college. Maastricht and Groningen (my city) have quite some culture as well with great unis, buildings, and museums.
>>
>>1136907
Thanks a lot. If I am traveling in the Netherlands I will make sure to keep Groningen in mind. My intention is to live in one of these areas though. I have traveled to Europe and spent a significant deal of time there, but everything is the dampened with the consciousness of an imminent departure. I still don't know how to go about establishing a life in Europe, but I was born in Greece so maybe I can apply for citizenship.
>>
>>1136954
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_Greece
>>
I'm going to the US (Phoenix, AZ! And the surrounding area) for 90 days, basically to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life.

So anyway, is it practical to actually rent a really cheap apartment over for example an extended stay motel? It seems that the cheapest motels are about 35$/day, but you can rent an apartment for ~400/month.

Would they actually rent it for just 3 months? What if I pay all of it in advance? Any experience?

I'm not sharing an apartment + I have no family/friends here so those are out of the question.

Cheerio!
>>
I am working part-time at an American company and I think this Latino coworker of mine is kind of hot. They are here for work for two weeks and I will only work at that company for a week. Is it a bad idea to call him guapo?
>>
>>1137042
I did the same existential / retreat to the desert crisis earlier this year.

Stay away from hotels. The phoenix hostel is great for a while, really nice people and I lived / worked there for a while for them.

Try to find a cash place on craigslist.
let them know you want to do a short term stay and it will be fine. Met a great friend doing that exact thing and lived in Tempe.
>>
>>1136954
http://livingingreece.gr/2007/07/09/acquiring-greek-citizenship-by-foreign-nationals-of-greek-origin/

On the US Greek consulate site there's mention of getting a certificate for not having done military service due to living abroad for 11 years, prior to applying for a passport

If you are successful in getting your Greek passport then I would advise you NEVER travel to Greece unless you want to run the risk of being drafted

(Also make sure every document you request be it from the US or Greece is 'apostilled')
>>
What would you pack for a three day trip to a city? I am a notorious over packer and have a flight which is hand luggage only and that sounds like a nightmare to me.
>>
>>1137173
One change of clothes, 2 underwear and 2 socks.
>>
>>1137182
Shiiiit. I packed four pairs of socks and underwear. Four t-shirts/polos. One long sleeved shirt. Jeans. Trousers. Another pair of shoes. Toiletries.

I always have more in case I want to change in to something different. Is that insane or somewhat common? I think it might be because when I was a kid my mum always used to do my packing and she is the champion of "just in case" so it probably rubbed off on me.
>>
>>1137199
One change of clothes, 2 underwear and 2 socks is more than enough, though it's easy enough to pack 2 changes of clothes into a carry-on bag.
Either way, with only one change of clothes you use the clothes you travel with as your pajamas (if you don't sleep only in you rundies) and use the change of clothes you brought as your going out clothes.

Of course if you're going to some kind of event that requires a specific kind of clothing, then take that into account and pack it along with the extra change. Else, just change your undies every day and you're fine (since space is not a problem, taking one change of undies per day is not a problem at all).

Also, think about all of your previous travels and how many shit you packed was useless or that you could have survived without. Always use that as a parameter to pack next time.
>>
>>1131509
can't you guys import them from grorious nippon grey market?

i know you can score an evo 2 for under $5k usd, NOT including shipping or import taxes to the us.

yahoo japan auctions.
>>
>>1137036
>>1137107
Thank you guys for sharing the links and information. I have looked into becoming a citizen in the past but I was led to believe that I do not qualify: although I was born and lived until the age of seven there, my family is not Greek on either side. I was thinking to go through some of the connections my family has with natives there, but that is not something I think will yield much.

You guys are kind to have shared so many of your thoughts and I appreciate it. As of right now, I can think of no other alternative than to work for a while, save up, then go and roam around Europe until I find a place that I would like to live in. St. Petersburg has been catching my attention, but aside from teaching English for a paltry wage, I do not know what could be done to sustain a life there.
>>
File: 1466541649044.jpg (78KB, 444x460px) Image search: [Google]
1466541649044.jpg
78KB, 444x460px
Is there any way for an "under 25" to rent a car in the US without paying a hefty daily surcharge? I'm a 24 and have two weeks to see the west coast. I was going to rent a car the whole time and see several cities, but now that I realized how steep the age penalties are I may just have to mostly stick to one city and rent a road bike.
>>
Has anyone done any booking hotels through Expedia?
Australian here, travelling to the US for a few weeks. I'm wondering if the prices I've paid are final, ie any surprise taxes gonna be added on etc.
>>
Eurofag here.
Any experiences with interrail? How about going solo?
>>
>>1137455

Fellow ausfag here, I do most of my bookings via Expedia or Wotif (owned by same company) primarily because I get up to 8% cash back via Cashrewards, and also because they usually offer free cancellation right up to the day before. I have one booking now that's been cancelled & rebooked twice due to fluctuating prices. Remember to always search for hotels/flights in private browsing mode and clear cookies regularly.
>>
>>1137459
>>Any experiences with interrail?
It feels like riding the train.

>>How about going solo?
It feels like riding the train without friends.
>>
>>1131396
>>1131396
Hello /trv/, man feels weird using boards outside my regular ones.

Ok so I plan on traveling to frankfurt next month and ive scored a round trip ticket for 1k total. Shitty airline but hey who cares.

My question is, would it be cheaper, and possible, to travel to a shitty location in, lets say poland, for half the price, than catching a connecting flight to frankfurt? Or does that only exist in fancy travel tv shows?

Also, how much should I expect to spend for a 10 day travel. Ive never left my home state let alone my country and im visiting family while in germany. The rest of my family is planning on traveling through europe but I dont think I have the funds to join them
>>
>>1137407

>mfw about to rent a car in a few weeks
>24, will be 25 in two months
>realize this

FUCK

Do they give a discount for having a degree, or can I get the under 25 rate prorated to my 24 and 11/12 age? Fuck life. I'll literally be renting it one month before my birthday.

>>1137173

Wear one outfit. Pack one more. Undies and socks for a change each day. One bag toiletries. Some electronics. Some food/water. An umbrella depending where. It shouldn't be more than one regular backpack dude, what the fuck?
>>
What are the chances of getting skin mycosis in hostels baths? Is it too paranoid to take a shower using sandals or is it common practice?
>>
>>1137594
>What are the chances of getting skin mycosis in hostels baths?

Moderate risk, Tinea pedis gets everywhere.

> Is it too paranoid to take a shower using sandals or is it common practice?

No idea how common it is, but it is not too paranoid to wear foot protection when showering anywhere that is used by lots of people with little/no cleaning in between.
>>
>>1137570
OK, I am sure I'll be fine. I just don't normally wear a shirt more than once. I have a 50 x 40 x 20cm suitcase with wheels so I'm obviously limited by that. This will be a valuable lesson I think.
>>
>>1137570
Yeah man, I'm pretty rustled myself. Will be 25 in six months. Been driving (a lot) for six years and my only accident was very very minor and found to be 100% the fault of the other driver.

I'm probably still going to rent a car, but only during half of my trip. The other half I'll borrow a relative's (got lucky there) and maybe rent a road bike (I'll be in Seattle so it should be great biking territory).
>>
I'm wondering what you guys bring with you for relaxation and free time stuff?

Any books? If yes, which? Any games on your phone? What about a tablet? Use it often?

For myself, I always swear with taking The Power of Now with me, one more random book from home (probably now it will be Brave New World by Aldous Huxley), some Pokemon games on my smartphone and always a stack of cards.
>>
>>1136691
How about Nicaragua and explore Middle America from there?
>>
>>1136643
Seriously, most of the regular backpacks (40+L) will do. Get a rain protection cover for it, and perhaps an extra slim case for when it's in the airplane cargo.
>>
Can someone tell me about JetBlue?

I have to fly from Germany to Vancouver in a few weeks, and I have to get to San Francisco too, so the cheapest option so far, seems to be to book FRA-SFO and back, plus SFO-YVR and back.

However, the FRA-SFO journey, is Singaporean to NY (premium economy even), and then JetBlue to NY.

Now, I have been flying them once, and they where quite OK, given it was only a short trip (Las Vegas to SFO) and I was put into their "even more space" or whatever it is called class, and given the fact that I dont really need a drink or food on such a short haul.

However,the trip I am looking at, is 6+ hours, and for that, I need some food and drinks. Sure, I can buy it, but then I'd loose any price advantage, plus, since everyone and their mother seems to take 5 bags into the cabin, it will also be really uncomfortable.

And the singaporean website does not tell me what class I will be in the JetBlue part, or what services will be included. I'd assume they put me in a better one, but I'd rather not take the risk.

So, pls halp.
>>
>>1137801
Just some random tips for you.

If you want legroom on crowded flights, get your bag above you first (I like across the aisle from myself, ahead of me maybe half a row, so I can see anyone entering the overhead during the flight, and keep your own seat's underseat area free. Have a small seat area zipper bag you can put your headphones, tablet, socks, whatever, you can tuck in your seat pocket (make sure it has ID in it). How do you guarantee the bag above you? Priority boarding, or paid exit row footroom. Tall people get advantages, as do upgrades, so use the right credit card and frequent flyer accounts. Ask at the gate for upgrades, which can sometimes be cheaper than doing it in advance if it's not your usual budget. If you want to be a REAL JERK if someone takes the overheads? Take a bag out and put yours in there while you readjust the bags. Leave it on a seat, esp if it's a checked bag large overhead size. Since it's a few weeks away, maybe there won't be many winter coats. Shut the bin!

Once you're in NY, it might make sense to you to buy a big bottled water, coffee or soda in the terminal, as well as food and use it inflight. It might not always be cheapest/cheaper than inflight costs, but you'll get free soda inflight for sure. During online checkin with JetBlue to see if there is a free snack/meal, it's 6 hours. I pack an apple, water (drink packet) and a granola bar no matter what. Sometimes you can wait on a tarmac and kill a lot of time.
>>
>>1137867
>If you want legroom on crowded flights, get your bag above you first
Yes. It's incredible what kind of shit people take with them in carry on, and that the gate agents don't seem to care. If I remember correctly, JetBlue has the same approx. 1 piece, 8kg and standard size restrictions as about any other airline, yet, the gate agents did not seem to care that people had stuff bigger than my (maxed out) checked luggage with them.
Of course I made sure to put my (small) bag in overhead, and have all the other suckers with their multiple fuckhuge bags destroy their own legroom. Still, I dont understand this "system".

>it might make sense to you to buy a big bottled water, coffee or soda in the terminal, as well as food and use it inflight.
That of course is an option, but I would prefer to get a fresh (as in freshly warmed, of course…) meal at dinner time, instead of some soggy sandwich. So far, I have had mostly good experiences with airline food (lufthansa, swiss, austrian, emirates, klm, even fuckin air bulgaria), and I am afraid that an american carrier will underwhelm, and my one experience with those besides short haul JetBlue, was (also short haul) Delta, and that was an utterly shitty experience.
>>
>>1137788
I take my kindle, plenty of pens and paper to write, and a travel chess board. I have made many friends and met many people through the chess board.
>>
What kind of person are you on the plane?

1. Seat straight back, all the way back, it's my seat so fuck everybody else.
2. Ask politely if you can recline your chair.
3. Too polite and considerate to disturb somebody else's flight so you sit in relative discomfort for the duration.

I'm 6' 5" so any time anybody puts their seat back unexpectedly I get a kneecap full of fabric and metal and spend the rest of the flight annoyed. That said, I can never bring myself to recline my chair because I hate it when people do it to me. Politeness is quite annoying at times. Sixteen hours to the Philippines bolt upright with a chair in my knees.
>>
I've got a few weeks to do a quick tour of Asia. Here's what I was thinking of doing:

>Tokyo
>Taipei
>Manila
>Saigon
>Chiang Mai
>Kuala Lumpur

All for four days each. Would it be a better idea to visit fewer places for longer? I'll be travelling alone.
>>
>>1137958
Depends who's behind me. If it's some kid, idgaf. If it's an elderly or attractive lady, I'll ask every time.
>>
>>1137963
Spend less time in Manila and more in whichever one appeals to you more. Manila for two days should be fine. It's a bit of a mess and will offer little the others can't but better. No more than three days there. I spent two and hated it. Granted, I didn't see everything, but it just felt like an unpleasant place to be.
>>
>>1137965
I've heard similar complaints on here about Manila. Is Cebu worth visiting in your opinion? Was considering it but one thing that puts me off is the long ass layover
>>
>>1137967
It's a nice place, but for the time you'd be spending there and the effort to get there and back I'd say no. I actually think the Philippines is an incredible country, but one that deserves more time. Especially Boracay (for now) and Palawan. Cebu is a little bit seedy and dirty but has a lot of positives.
>>
>>1137958
I dont ask simply because i dont expect the person in front to ask and i wouldnt be the type of person to say no you cant put back the seat you paid for

Also airline travel isnt a mystery, you can find out how much leg room youre going to get and if you want or need space then you can pay for it

Air travel and the seating available is not a right
>>
>>1137958
4, Find a reclined seat less comfortable because I feel like I am sliding out. So keep my seat up because I prefer it.
>>
>>1137968
Noted. I think I will save the Philippines for another time.

Of the other cities on my list, are there any in particular that you would recommend? I'm struggling to decide how to divide my time
>>
I'm going to Guatemala in about two weeks, a rural area in Isabal is where I'll be staying with my family.
I've been there before once, but I'm nervous this time around.
We plan on visiting some waterfalls and possibly going fishing in canoes. What should I prepare in my luggage for this?
>>
File: IMG-20160712-WA0009.jpg (4MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160712-WA0009.jpg
4MB, 2340x4160px
I'm traveling from the netherlands to the UK by ferry (and back), to what extent are me, my car, and my luggage searched or X-rayed?
>pic unrelated, brexit-bucks for on the ferrg
>>
>>1138045
Depends on where you're travelling from and how suspicious you look. Xrays aren't likely but there might be dogs.
They're usually pretty calm.
>>
>>1138059
Let's say i carry some dutch specialty for personal use...
It's sealed and won't be found during a quick search unless they empty the bag (i accidentally tested this)
Do dogs sniff it out?
>>
>>1137964
Old bitch gonna die soon anyway so who cares. At least you can teach the kid some good airline etiquette so he's polite in the future.
>>
I want to create write-ups of my travels, like a scrapbook or journal but digital and with pictures AND text, preferably online to share with people. Should i use a blog for this? I don't go on trips often enough to update every day/week and don't want to be one of those professional travel bloggers. I've been just putting stuff on facebook but I hate the platform and the clunkyness, and the fact that it's fagbook. If yes to blog, what site? Wordpress?
>>
Is it legal to carry a knife in the UK that exceeds the no-reason-needed length with as reason that you are on vacation and might need it if you go outdoors?
I'n going to wales and recently a group of people got lost in a natural park there, so i want to carry a knife just in case i need to survive.
Knife is 8cm long, foldable blade, but the first 3.5cm of the blade is serrated.
>>
>>1138256
I haven't consulted the exact wording of the law, but it isn't legal to carry unless you have good reason to be carrying it

If you are near a known camping area and were stopped and searched you would most likely get away with it after being told off, provided it isn't worn on your belt like some wannabe tacticool commando

If you were inside a city carrying around a blade on the off chance you 'might' go camping, expect to be cautioned, have it confiscated, maybe worse

The chances of you being stopped and searched aren't very high though (so long as you're not black and looking like a gangster) and if you absolutely must carry it, consider putting it at the base of a backpack with cord wrapped around it or something along those lines with other items packed above so it is clear you have no intent to pull it out in a fight

(p.s. you have to be retarded to get lost in wales, there is no true wilderness in the uk)
>>
>>1138260
It will be in my backpack unless i need it, and deep inside beneath a whole lot of stuff.
I read up and am not sure about the serrated part being legal.
It also locks in place by it's frame, i have found third party sites mentioning this is not allowed but not any govt sites.
I think i might give the customs a call about this...
>>
>>1138261
A locking blade is an automatic no-no afaik

Don't get caught with it and you'll be fine (obviously) as an aside I've never witnessed anyone being stopped and searched by the police

If the only reason you want to bring it is for survival, don't bother, the only thing you could survive off is some farmer's sheep... which you wouldn't be able to cook since there's hardly any wood except for in the valleys which nearly all contain a road or someone living there
>>
>>1138263
The UK govt websites and even the "travelling to the uk" folder of the border force don't mention locking mechanisms.
But i see it mentions stealth "non-metallic" knives as banned.
My knife had a black coating on the blade but it has worn off a bit, is that what they mean?
>>
>>1138264
https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

a stealth non-metallic blade would be for example a blade made from ceramics that does not go off when passing through a metal detector, when ceramic blades were new they tended to be exclusively made from ceramic, I think now most ceramic blade makers add fine amounts of metal powder so that they will trigger metal detectors
>>
>>1138256
I'm really curious as to why you feel the need for a knife.
Is it only because of the one event of people that got lost?
>>
>>1138278
I like outdoor things, and a knife is like an edc tool for me, i always carry it in my bag
>>
>>1138267
Oh, i thought it meant no black coating, thanks
>>
Trv, I've never traveled alone before. In 2 weeks I'm going to visit 6 cities through my country. A whole trip will take about 8-9 days so I'm staying in every city about a day. I'm afraid I'll feel myself lonely because I don't have friends and I live alone. Almost always I'm alone. I feel I want to go somewhere but I don't have a company. What can you advice me to make my trip better? I'd like to communicate with people from all those cities, maybe to make new friends. Is it possible? How should I act?
>>
>>1137208
right hand drive
>>
>>1137957
>Travel chess board
This is a good idea.
>>
>>1137963
How long do you have in total?

>Tokyo
I have never been in Japan, but it always sounds and looks amazing to me.
>Taipei
Deserves at least 3 days.
>Manila
Have not been there but heard it is a shithole.
>Saigon
4 days is good
>Chiang Mai
Have not been here yet
>Kuala Lumpur
4 days is good for all excursions and stuff.
>>
>>1137788
I'm always content with my PSP.
>>
>>1138355
I've revised my itinerary a bit. I have 3.5 weeks

>Japan
>Taiwan
>Cambodia
>Somewhere else (maybe S Korea)

Spending about a week in each. Gives me a bit more time to see each country.

Going to skip the Philippines and Vietnam. I haven't been to Chiang Mai specifically but have seen quite a bit of Thailand already
>>
Anyone here went to Kazakhstan? I want to visit the place, will I get stabbed as a red skinned caribbean?
>>
>>1138355
>>1137963

Would say 4 days in KL should be enough. That'll give you time to go to the Batu Caves, The Petronas Towers, spend some time in Chinatown, eat a shitload and get harrased by waiters at Jalan Alor. That treetop walk through the jungle right in the centre is worth going along to as well.
>>
>>1138407
Depends on what a red skinned caribbean is really. Is that mixed race or something?
>>
>>1138416
Go home, the rest of /pol/ misses you so much right now.
>>
>>1138419
I honestly have no idea what he's referring to when he says red skinned caribbean
>>
>>1138416
Oh, well my skin is dark reddish, am I going to get killed now
>>
>>1138432
I wouldn't have said so. I understand a lot of Kazakhs are pretty swarthy themselves so I reckon you'd get on fine. Maybe stabbing would be an issue in regular Russia but I wouldn't have expected it to be that much of an issue in Kazakhstan. Probably get a few stares and that but as long as you're respectful and that you should be fine.

Also are you really dark reddish? Don't think I've ever seen anyone like that before. Never been to the Caribbean though right enough. Didn't mean to come across all /pol/ earlier, sorry about that.

A
>>
>>1138439
Lookup himba tribe, its something like that
>>
>>1131513
Savannah is beautiful but ghetto in parts and the cops/whole judicial system is super corrupt. This is from a Georgian.
>>
How does renting cars in other countries work if you don't have a drivers license from the country you're visiting?
>>
>>1137788

Kindle. One month battery life. Paper books are retardedly heavy and bulky, and considering I can kill one in 2-3 days I'd need a stack. Better uses for pack weight. Stop being an elitist you tardfucked hipster tryhard.

>naming the author of bnw like we don't all know

>>1138447

One doesn't tend to immediately get in trouble with police when traveling unless they're being an ass. Anyway I liked the city, I'd probably go back even.
>>
>>1138474
You check if the country you're visiting accepts/recognizes driver's license from your country.
If they don't (most likely), you just get an International Driving Permit in your own country before you leave and it should be valid for most countries in the world.
>>
I'm planning on visiting someone in Chattanooga TN, leaving from Brussels, around the christmas period cause it's the only time I have time off from classes.
When will it be cheapest for me to get flight tickets? I've been told that the sooner, the better.
>>
How does Vietnam compare to China?

Besides obvious things like the geography and size.
>>
File: 235138352alt1[1].jpg (92KB, 717x717px) Image search: [Google]
235138352alt1[1].jpg
92KB, 717x717px
Is a holdall a decent substitute for a suitcase? The suitcase I do have is huge and doesn't have an extendable handle, making it cumbersome as hell. I don't see myself bringing many fragile items in it, just clothes and toiletries. I'm travelling to Japan by the way.
>>
>>1138518
crazier, more scams, less rules. more consistent weather, just hot and humid.

ruins are less preserved
>>
>>1138485
some countries will tax tourists for bribes, Thailand and Cambodia for example
>>
Is it a good idea to ask for travel advice from a person who lives in that country?
>>
>>1138748
No.
Asking from anonymous people is a much safer bet.
>>
I'll be traveling to Cambodia for a week by myself. Have traveled around Thailand before with friends. Will be staying mainly in Phnom Penh. Should I get a hotel room to myself or get a bed in a hostel?
>>
>>1137789
>Middle America
Nigga u srs?
>>
I'm an American traveling to Prague in the fall with a layover of a few hours in Moscow.
1. Do I need a visa for the few hours I'll spend there?
2. How easy is it to navigate the airport if you can't read Cyrillic?
>>
>>1137455
former hotel manager. yes but some hotels may require a deposit cash or card. if your out of the country it may be easier to leave a cash deposit just be sure to ask for it back.
>>
File: lone.jpg (330KB, 700x1092px) Image search: [Google]
lone.jpg
330KB, 700x1092px
So, I'm planning a trip from Austin to Cincinnati to visit a friend in graduate school. I was looking at flights on Google Flights and I was wondering...why would someone pay up to a thousand more dollars to say have a trip with a stop or multiple stops and/or a layover that might include an overnight? I saw one flight with an 18 hour layover/overnight and it was like $1.2k over all. I actually love the process of traveling via airplanes, trains, boats, etc. but paying triple or quadruple the price from a nonstop/one stop to a multiple stop/overnight doesn't compute. Sorry if it's lost on me.
>>
>>1138950
I doubt that anyone does, willingly.
You can asked for routes with some parameters and an algorithm designed some routes matching those parameters. Doesn't mean that anyone ever takes that exact route.

Those flights are probably the only way that the algorithm could make your desired parameters work. A real person would just relax some constraints but algorithms don't do that unless they're programmed to.
>>
So I am a girl from France. I got a temporary job at a company for 10 days. It is a transnational company and some people from the states flew here for work.
This coworker is Latino. I am currently learning Spanish and I mentioned how I am looking for language exchange partners during small talk. He volunteered to talk to me on FB. Should I accept his request?
>>
>>1139024
No.
Your nudes will leak and you'll be blackmailed and raped to death.
>>
>>1139024
Well, if he's a Latino from the US then he probably knows an Americanized dialect of Spanish. If you want to learn proper Spanish like they use in Spain, you're probably better off using a site like interpals. I myself have met met a literal Czech teacher from the Czech Republic who is teaching me Czech online.
>>
I am going to Thailand soon.

How can I prevent getting the shits??

Also should I get a vaccine?
>>
>>1139454
>How can I prevent getting the shits??
Don't consume improperly cooked or handled food/drinks. Don't drink pond water.
>>
I've never been to Europe and I wanna go
Where should I go first though?
>>
>>1139464
the airport
>>
How much do a pair of men's ferragamo loafers cost in Italy?
>>
I am 31. Am I too old to go to a hostel without looking ridiculous?
>>
I'm thinking of travelling through Asia, while working remote at the same time. After cutting everything but the absolutely regular pay I'd get, my monthly budget would be 350 dollars, without savings.
Disregarding the initial flight and visa costs, would it be possible to travel through India, Bangladesh, Burma, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and China with budget like that, while still keeping somewhat frequent internet access?

>>1139581
My father has travelled quite a bit, and he's in his late 40s now. From what I hear the people who mostly use hostels are in theis 20s, but there are occasionally older people as well.
You'll be a bit weird, but nothing that hasn't happened before.
>>
>>1139581
About to turn 31 and on a RTW trip. It's never been a big problem but there have been a few times when I felt out of place. Way more of an issue when the US/EU school is out of session I think.

It also depends on where you go. If it's a party town even the more "tranquil" hostels will be full of people in their early 20s. If it's a place with more interesting cultural stuff then they'll be filled with older people (Myanmar and Japan averaged maybe late 20s).

If you end up feeling out of place at hostels, just get a cheap hotel and meet local girls. Late 20s/early 30s is the perfect age for this.
>>
Charleston vs. Savannah?

I'm planning a family vacation. Mostly like museums, beautiful scenery, historical places. Not too keen on nightlife.
>>
>>1139513
About as much as they cost abroad. Maybe €100-200 less because of fewer transport costs and no well-they're-Italian-so-it's-automatically-quality costs.
>>
Hey, /trv/, I'm about to graduate from a college here in the US and looking for jobs.
I've recently been looking at jobs abroad and found one in Chile that seems really cool. The pay is decent and it's what I want to do. However, I'm trying to decide if working abroad is a good idea? It seems super awesome and a great way to learn a new language and meet new people. But I'm wondering how tough it will be to transition and if it's worth it.
Guess I'm just looking for general advice about working abroad. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>1139604
I've been to both and I'm from the Savannah area.
I'd say go Savannah. Much more choices of things to do. Riverstreet is a great place to go and hang out. Lots of places to eat and things to see. Plus Tybee is really close. Granted it's not the best beach but it's nice to hang out there.
>>
Didn't wanna clog up the board with a new thread but I'm seeking some advice.

looking to visit someplace out of the states with a few buddies in a few months, trying to find someplace that mainly has a big enough party scene, some nice sightseeing, and where i wont get abducted and murdered. (my friends and I currently in the military and i know some places aren't down with that)

any advice is appreciated
>>
>>1139581
>I am 31. Am I too old to go to a hostel without looking ridiculous?
I'm not sure there's such a thing. People of all ages stay in hostels, I'm not young but I've not usually been the oldest person there.

Just don't expect to hook up as easily.
>>
>>1139650
Prague baby
>>
Where should I go in Europe this August, to live and work (remotely) for a few weeks?

I want scenery, sightseeing, architecture. Not interested in partying. Anywhere that isn't stupid busy due to summer tourism?
>>
>>1138745
>crazier and less rules than China
Damn that sounds amazing. Can you tell me more about it?
>>
>>1139633
Is it teaching English? I'd like to work in Chile but the pay of everything I've seen is paltry. What site are you using to browse for jobs?
>>
File: image.png (481KB, 800x1640px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
481KB, 800x1640px
Simple question, don't over think it. Berlin or Gdansk?
>>
>>1141296
Berlin, definitely
>>
I'm looking for a one way ticket from Ibiza to Barcelona in a few weeks. Is it worth it to fly Ryanair or should I just book a similar flight on Iberia for $60 more. I'll probably need to check a carryon with the budget airlines restrictions. Also I looked into ferries and they seem to take a pretty long time / are expensive
>>
>>1132171
i have it anon, used it for my 5 weeks central asia trip, did some camping, it fit all my clothes (5 shirts and t-shirts and 3 pairs of pants, plus hiking boots and other random shit), i put my tent on the back as well where i steadied it with the straps, it's a good bag, not sure if i can complain about anything
>>
>>1136857
try royal robbins shirts
>>
>>1138978
Thanks btw
>>
>>1138072
If your trying to beat a dog your going to lose every time. Is drug smuggling worth what you can no doubt find local. Sure you can get away with it but just imagine if it goes wrong.
>>
Is it hard to find a coke connection in NYC?

Am white tourist staying / going out in Manhattan. Spend my evenings in bars / music shows. I was recommended to befriend a bartender and ask them. Thoughts?
>>
Is a weekend long enough to take in Prague?
>>
>>1141772
It depends on what you want to see. You can do all the touristy stuff like see the clock and the bridge but part of what makes Prague so great is all the places you can do a daytrip from there
>>
How impossible it is to cross Asia by a private car to get to SEA?
>>
>>1141820

Not worth the hassle. There are plenty of LCCs you can use to hop from city/country to city/country if you want to see shit along the way.
>>
Booked a holiday with Expedia and there is the option to book a taxi from the airport to the hotel. My travel partner really wants to do this, but I'm afraid of things like delays in flights or delays going through customs. Is it a good idea?
>>
What's Vietnam like?
>>
Has anyone been to Martha's Vineyard?

I was thinking of day tripping over there but i'm not sure what there is to do instead of just walking/biking around
>>
So I am from the Czech Republic and I recently attended an English study abroad session in the UK. A British teacher working at my uni was in charge of guiding us around in the trip. She told us that she has lived in five countries and the Czech Republic is her favorite and she gave her reasons why. Is that just "dishonest" small talk or is she really thinking that way?
>>
>>1141998
Chaotic traffic, good food, generally nice people and fairly cheap if you're from a first first world country. If you're from a third world country, it's like your country but with chinks.

>>1142008
What kind of question is that?
>>
Bought a 40L redwing (and a rain cover) on amazon just now. Intended for /trv/ and /out/. Did I do good?
>>
>>1139604
>museums, beautiful scenery, historical places.

savannah.

>>1139581

Nah. I've met guys in their 40s and even 50s and 60s. 31 is still pretty young.

>>1138517

At least two weeks ahead of time. Watch the prices.
>>
>>1136691
>El Salvador
>Honduras
Sounds like and excellent way to fucking DIE
>>
>>1142008
She was probably saying the truth, you'd be surprised how many people enjoy living around here. Temperate, yet interesting (great summers, great winters) climate, very cheap, countryside is easily accessible (and worth exploring as well), all sorts of historic places, , great food, good beer, weed is no big deal, people speak English, a lot of cultural happenings and major shows... and so on.
Czechs, being used to their country often forget that it is actually a very, very nice place to live
>>
File: 55555555.gif (3MB, 320x214px) Image search: [Google]
55555555.gif
3MB, 320x214px
Is there a easy way of avoiding paying for tickets on European train lines?

I'm looking to cut some corners and saving cash. And I know those fuckers come around every now and then to check tickets. I've only been on train systems in Europe twice in the past so I didn't have time to familiarize myself with their patterns.

What do /trv/?
>>
>>1142431
if you go short distances and aboard InterCity trains which has a stop that is like 10km appart from each stations then they rarely bother to go to check the tickets after each stop.

I use IC trains to go to a nearby town which is like 5 km away to visit my grandparents and as I said it's rarely but it still happens

Now if you see these, don't aboard them without a ticket
http://i.imgur.com/bWR9wK8.jpg
They check every time

and a word of advice: if you get caught you can excuse yourself that you can't speak the country's language and you couldn't find the ticket booth (especially if you aboard the train in a station from a god forsaken village), the guy will just tell you to pay him and he'll print you the ticket with his handy ticket device he wears around his neck

but remember everything is at your own risk, though, so be careful
>>
Is Santorini worth checking out or is it a meme-island with that one town's white building blue roof sunset view they charge you out the arse to see if you're in a bar? Oia?
>>
>>1142440
If you're white and clean looking, pop in your earbuds and go to sleep. Theyll generally avoid waking you up.
>>
>>1142431
Have you tried being less of a leech on society and other people?
>>
>>1142558
not an option
>>
File: Facebook-Covers-darwin4.jpg (131KB, 680x453px) Image search: [Google]
Facebook-Covers-darwin4.jpg
131KB, 680x453px
>>1142431
>>1142440
>>1142484
>>1142600
>>
>>1131423
>I want to use hostels but I don't know how to find them.

booking.com has a hostel option
>>
Are there lockers or anything in hostels or are things left there open to be nicked
>>
>>1131853
>driving around America and seeing everything
> seeing everything
> everything

impossible
>>
Had a bad breakup and want to have a cheap holiday before uni, how much would a weekend in Amsterdam be? how much time should I even spend in Amsterdam? from the UK mainly interested in the weed and hookers
>>
>>1142636
The vast majority have lockers, but usually you're expected to bring your own padlock.
>>
portugal in september

do i need to book hostels in advance or are there enough free ones? will travel from lisboa to faro
dont know where to stay and how long, would prefer to decide spontanous...
>>
>>1142673

Not him but I read that you can rent a padlock?
>>
>>1142737

Not every hostel have padlock for rent and it's probably safer to bring your own. At least you know where all the keys are.
>>
I told a guy (he immigrated to my country) that I regret not going to a bar in his homeland when I was traveling around his country. He volunteered to take me to a bar in my city in a joking manner. Is this a sign that he is into me?
>>
>>1142843
Go ask /adv/.
This has nothing to do with /trv/
>>
>>1142843
It depends.
Are you into him?
>>
Prague or Kiev? Which would be more suitable for a 19 year old solo traveller. Main interests are meeting cool people, drinking, nightlife and girls.
>>
>>1141719
How about trying not to be a degenerate
>>
Is it easy to send a parcel without returning address in Europe?
I'll be in Europe and I want to send some stuff back home. Obviously I won't have an return address (it'd be the same as the destination address if any).
>>
>>1141794
I'll be in Prague february 10-13 of next year. what are some must see things and what are some cool daytrips? Also, has anyone been to Vienna?
>>
File: 1465684517171.png (268KB, 420x497px) Image search: [Google]
1465684517171.png
268KB, 420x497px
Anyone ever backpacked America before? I am currently in Wisconsin and want to travel out west. I have hitchhiked before and it is quite difficult where I am and I imagine it'll be even harder in the states not on the Pacific.

Anyways for the people that have backpacked in America how was your experience with it? What ways did you use to travel, and what types of ways did you find lodging or a place to sleep in general?
>>
>>1143059
Where in Europe?

Should be fine, I've done it before. I've also had things go missing that had correct postage and return address too, so...

Usually very reliable though. This is from my experience in UK, Italy, Spain, France, and Norway. I imagine the Germanic countries are pretty good about this too.
>>
>>1143169
Likely in the Balkans, though I could hold to post elsewhere in Europe.
So they do accept parcels without a sender address without a fuss?
>>
>>1142843
If he's middle eastern then yes, he's always been into you. If he's from anywhere else, maybe maybe not.
>>
Anyone know if those emergency glass breaker (with seatbealt cutters) are allowed in carry on luggage?
Or are they scared that I could break the airplane window?
>>
I'll be going to Australia soon, specifically Sydney. There's a high possibility that I'll have 1 or 2 days of a weekend free. I've read that this is a mainly train/railway connected city. Are passes expensive? What is there to do in Sydney? I'll be around the Sydney Olympic Park if that helps.
>>
>>1143291
>Anyone know if those emergency glass breaker (with seatbealt cutters) are allowed in carry on luggage?
You can try a small one like a keychain. It could be confiscated. Hammers aren't allowed, and tools over a couple of inches.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items
>>
>>1143296
Hell, I got threatened by tsa about carrying a nail clipper on a flight
>>
>>1143296
I was considering buying one of those keychain ones, that's why I asked. Since those are 3 in 1 (glass breaker, seatbelt cutter and whistle).

>>1143531
Shit man. They allow disposable razor blade and yet they were threatening because of nail clippers? Was it a domestic or international flight?
>>
This is going to sound weird, but do people have any tips for sleeping vertically? I typically can't sleep on transport, but I have a twelve hour flight coming up and I'd really appreciate getting some rest during it. Are travel pillows any good for neck support? Is there anything I can do before the flight in preparation?
>>
>>1143753
>This is going to sound weird, but do people have any tips for sleeping vertically?
1) l guess you could practice it now. Take some naps in an easy chair while reading a book. Prop yourself up on a couch way too high, just to sleep nearly upright, lay your head against a wall with a baby pillow.
2) Be tired enough of course! Take it easy on your daily caffeine intake and don't increase it the days before travel, or during the flight (get yourself on the new time zone if you can too). Sugar drops can make you sleepy, so watch that you aren't too full or snacking on high energy food.
3) Active noise cancelling (over the ear) headphones. If you dont own them you will be surprised how stimulating the drone of engine noise and random cabin sounds can be to keep yourself kind of irritated and alert. It's the opposite of white noise, though you would think otherwise. Have a selection of moods music, things that might make you fall asleep at home like ballet classical types, or brazilian guitar music (other language stuff means you don't listen to the words). For being awake, I like electronic stuff downtempo, live concerts by bands I like that last 2-3 hours.
>Are travel pillows any good for neck support?
The blow up kind is all I like, being able to add just enough air where the back of the neck isn't overly pushed out, but I get support if my neck goes sideways.
I will be wearing eye cover or dark sunnies, headphones, my temperature is perfectly regulated with a light 1st layer, oversized scarf as blanket, and a soft down vest or jacket for extra back comfort (can add to neck support as well), thick cushioned socks, crocs or similar to slip on for heading to the lavatory. In my lap or seatback will be asst reading, sudoku, mags.
> Is there anything I can do before the flight in preparation?
Melatonin and sleeping on the new schedule can help, even if you ignore meal service to do it. I like gummis from Vitafusion, lemon balm, valerian, melatonin.
>>
>>1143633
>I was considering buying one of those keychain ones, that's why I asked. Since those are 3 in 1 (glass breaker, seatbelt cutter and whistle).
If they notice what it is even though the sharp blade is inaccessible they might not like it, they'll probably take it away from you when they realize that's a hammer too. Best to have a checked bag if it means that much to you, but not like it costs much if confiscated. Be prepared to quietly let them just take it and shrug.
>>
>>1143767
This is so detailed, thank you so much for taking the time for this. I just have two small questions:

1. I'm guessing airplane headphones aren't very high quality? I'm not much of an audiophile so I only really have standard headphones and earphones. I'm debating whether to buy a pair for this occasion or just rent from the airplane. I'm also trying to conserve as much bag space as possible.
2. Do airlines typically provide eye covers?
>>
26 year old borderline autistic loser that wants to travel abroad. Never could because of money issues but it has always been a goal.

I'll have 2 full weeks. What is a good place to solo travel that I can do myself without feeling alone?

I was thinking Thailand, but had a religious awakening and am starting to question losing my virginity to hookers. Then I thought Australia because I always wanted to see the great barrier reef, but that doesn't seem like a good place to solo travel and I feel I will get depressed being by myself.

Any recommendations on a good place to solve travel for beginners?
>>
>>1131851
you'll need your passport, but no visa will be needed as an American
>>
>>1143771
>2. Do airlines typically provide eye covers?
Varies by airline. Smarter not to count on it -- just grab a set at the local drug store for $2.00
>>
I asked in SEA general but ill ask here incase there more traffic, and this also seems like a more generic question anyways

>So i have looked around and not really found an answer to this.
Me and a friend are planning a trip to SEA, we want to visit pretty much every country and do all the touristy shit they all have to offer, aswell if theres time just sit and relax for a week after if possible.
>2-3 Months, 5k budget, thats not the problem
What we need to know is if its better to buy a One way ticket there, then purchase all the rest of our flights as needed and figure out when and where we wanna leave(which is what we plan). The trip would essentially would be a big zig

or

Fly into and out of the same airport with a round trip ticket and make a big loop in our trip back to where we started. Seems counter productive to do this to me unless we knew forsure we liked that country, i dont wanna be "stuck" there.

>If you have some experience doing this or know any tricks let me know, also advice on which airports may work best for this

We on stopping at South Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Thialand, Cambodia, China. Anything else i dont think we will have time for but I may just be wrong... thanks
>>
Anyone had any experiences being scammed on AirBnB?

Looking at a place that has no reviews, but plenty of photos. The owner joined last month and has verified their email and phone.

Is this enough, or should that be sending red flags? What happens if they simply don't show up to give me the keys?
>>
>>1143782
Actually, aus (sydney)has a pretty good whore house scene, they had a full bar in room that was free, the lady was real friendly we went out for drinks afterwards and she paid for the drinks
>>
>>1143782
If you do go to australia get a visa. The airlines may arrange one for you automatically, but its the shits if you go all that way and want to stay longer
>>
>>1140825
It's actually a computer science job working for a startup in Santiago.
I think It'd look pretty sweet on a resume. But I'm not sure if I have the balls to just leave where I'm from by myself.
Man, but it'd be cool. The pay does seem pretty bad.
I was using jobs.goabroad.com
>>
File: bad_memories.gif (2MB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
bad_memories.gif
2MB, 300x200px
Have yall ever planned a multi country trip in a weeks timespan? My situation is im thinkin of traveling from the US to Finland > Estonia > Russia > Ukraine then back home. I noticed trains connect most of these countries but how feasible is it? Too much hassle and maybe i should catch multiple flights instead?
>>
>>1144355
In my experience, you need 10 days for 3 days each in 3 locations if doing trains, calculating 2.5 days in each when you spend 5 hours or more on a train (night trains are dangerous and uncomfortable). Keep in mind cities might have great daytrip options around them that gives you better culture immersion/beauty. So, if you are going short distances, or it's a minor little town you see in one day, you still need "down time" so you can do some recreation and dining as well. It's really nothing you can avoid living out of your bag, different night different place kind of travel, but do look at guidebooks or other peoples tours to get an idea how long you need in each spot. Of course, you can always go back again one day after getting a taste. And, if that's your mentality that you're just living in the moment and whatever will be, just decide if you want that much travel time all around.
Also take a look at airport and train station locations to see if transfers add too much time or cost vs the other method of travel. It varies.
>>
>>1144355
You'll need your visa ready for Russia, so be ready for the hit to the wallet for that.

If you're traveling by rails, keep in mind that in Russia you'll piss away at least 26 hours from St. P to Moscow, and even more heading south. And don't kid yourself, the first few hours traveling by rail might be fun because "it's new and interesting" but the boredom hits quick.

The multiple county trip is very possible, I just did a month in the Balkans. But outside the St. P to Moscow route there are no fast trains.
>>
>>1144360
>>1144361
Thanks for the advice yall. I had totally forgot about needing a visa for russia, around how much USD are we talkin? I'll do some research just in case but yeah Id only be there for 2-3 days to see St petersburg and Nizhny Novgorod (and moscow if its along the way) but it would be a long time for travel. Any advice is appreciated on how i should go about this...
>>
>>1144370
Man, you'll get maybe like 5 hours with that amount of time, maybe less. Never under estimate how slow the trains are.

As for your visa application, I had to pay an agency to hand delivery my student visa, I think it was nearly 300 or more bucks.
>>
Where do you guys keep your most valuable items when you're travelling? Money belt, backpack, locked in locker? I'm thinking of things like passports, credit cards etc., things you'd be fucked without.
>>
>>1144381
Locker. I don't bother locking away my bag since it only has clothes and cheap souvenirs.

You should keep copies of your passport. I usually carry one in my pocket, one in my bag, and a pic on my phone.
>>
I'm thinking about relocating in Canada. Essentially looking for a place that:
>needs welders
>has relatively affordable land
>is accessible by road
>has nice weather (ie dry and no insane temperature swings from a day to the next)
>basically a good place where I can be left the fuck alone

I was thinking about somewhere surrounding Whitehorse in Yukon but if you guys had other suggestions that'd be neat.
>>
>Be me
>Traveling in this summer study German abroad program with a group of people I didn't know beforehand
>"Host family" turns out to be b&b and owners are not even interested in small talk
>Roomate is a hardcore Donald Trump fan while I support the Democrats
>Roomate likes to talk about how awesome Donald Trump is
>When I didn't really agree with her viewpoint she looks disgusted
>There is another American roomate and he is also a Trump supporter
>Likes to talk about Trump during meals together
>We have housemates from other parts of the world and they think we all love Trump because of a lack of understanding of what is going on
>When I answer them explaining how people support different politicians, the other two American housemates will be upset
What do?
>>
>>1143782
bump question
>>
>>1144450
>I support the Democrats
Not saying Trump is great but this is still a huge problem.
>>
>>1143292
Get an Opal card, which allows travel on trains, buses and ferries that apply to them. You will be half an hour to the city CBD.
>>
>>1144450
It's not your problem. You be you, and let the chips fall where they may. Who the fuck cares if the other Americans are upset? They're not your friends. Let them be upset.

You can explain to foreigners that what they're seeing is a working-class populist reactionary movement (with legitimate grievances) to an out-of-touch elitist/oligarchic political class (Reps and Dems), which is what it is. Trump is the """right""" wing, Bernie the """left""". That Trump, a self-aggrandizing billionaire demagogue, is able to hijack the movement (presaged by the Tea Party) shows how ill informed Americans are, and how ripe for the hijacking it was. Hillary is of course also a rotten bitch, but that's the system Americans have built for themselves.
>>
Whats it like working on a cruise ship?
>>
>>1144450
stop supporting criminals.
>>
>>1144450
This kind of people actually exist? I mean, I too talk of how awesome Trump is but in a "it's Willy Wonka in charge of our nuclear arsenal" way.
>>
Flying with Ryanair. Never had a short flight that was hand luggage only. Are pressurised shaving foam containers a) allowed b) considered a liquid that need to be displayed in a clear bag?

Or, to phrase it another way, what things for basic travel should be displayed in my clear bag? Shampoo, shower gel and, presumably aftershave. Anything else?
>>
File: téléchargement (1).jpg (7KB, 273x184px) Image search: [Google]
téléchargement (1).jpg
7KB, 273x184px
Does anyone carry a picrelated or similar while travelling?
>>
To the people using Maps.me. I don't like the new update. Is there a way I can disable the localisation?
>>
>>1144873
WTH is that?
>>
>>1144942
It's a thing that annoying people use to subject everyone around them to their great taste in music
>>
>>1131396

Planning on going to South Asia this winter. I'm debating on either Sri Lanka or Kerala. Can anyone here give me a recommendaiton which one I should go to?

Also, I plan on doing this trip alone. I'm a 23 year old white boy, badish shape. How dangerous is this?
>>
>>1144994
Haven't been to Kerala specifically but Sri Lanka is more chilled than India.

It's not dangerous unless you want to try your luck.
>>
>>1145009

How is Sri Lanka more chill than India?
>>
>>1144873
I take pic related with me on all my travels, but I'm not a dick that blasts it in crowded places.
>>
>>1131396
Can anyone recommend something OTC that will knock me out for an 8 hour flight?

>inb4 melatonin that shit doesn't work for me
>>
>>1145419
I took zzzquil, and that helped me sleep but didn't put me to sleep.
>>
Anyone have workaway experiences to share, seems like a reasonable way to travel cheaply other than teaching english/WWOOF
>>
File: 1435382321490.gif (988KB, 350x175px) Image search: [Google]
1435382321490.gif
988KB, 350x175px
>>1131513
>I hate that our passport process is so retarded and expensive and takes forever.
"Hey guise, please send your certified birth certificate copy to us in the shitty public mail system".

I was honestly astounded when I found out you had to send verified personal identity documents by mail to get a passport.

>mfw
>>
Question for long term travelers (a month or more)

What is your packweight before food/water? Do you ever attach anything externally to your pack like sleep gear?
>>
>>1145650
About 8 kilo. Why do you drag along food and water? Are you a wilderness camper kinda guy? I don't have sleep gear.
>>
>>1145652

Helps keep food costs down, sometimes I do go into the wilderness. sleep gear ditto. I was looking at a packweight of about 11 kg/24 lbs before food and water and thought it was excessive. But my estimates might be off for weights since I'm using net research and not a scale.
>>
I am quitting my job, and will probably have a month off beginning mid-August.

I would like to take one last trip with my mother, but I am unsure of where.

She prefers to walk with a cane now, and will probably need lots of sitting down breaks. Neither of us speak anything other than English. We have previously been to Western Europe and most of the US, parts of Canada.

Suggestions? She has been hinting Iceland.
>>
>>1145799
Iceland is very pretty, if you have seen Ireland the Iceland in the summer MAY be pretty similar. But it is really just a beautiful place. Look into Costa Rica if she likes teh animules and such
>>
>>1145799
Don't know which parts of Western Europe you've been but maybe Switzerland?
>>
>>1136634
I know Spain has the highest rates of MDMA and Viagra use, if that's any metric. Also, all of the young people are unemployed and everyone takes a nap in the afternoon (siesta) so that they can stay up late in the night. People are really laid back, the girls are libertine, not much for gangsters and most of the crime is petty. The nights are warm but dry, people like to hang out on the coasts.

Also Australia, but I think that's more "bro" culture, like binge drinking and so forth. Lots of countries drink a lot but I think Spanish society is very unique, it's not quite Latin, not quite Western European, not quite Mediterranean.

I recommend Andalusia if you're going to travel to Spain.
>>
Can i really bring a isobutane fuel cannister to the plane? not as carry on but in terms of sending it to the luggage compartment, i know it's not allowed, but any chance i might slip away with it without declaring it or would it blow up in the plane due to pressure changes etc
>>
>>1136726
>>1136764
The Europe you are pining for only existed for a minority of social elites and it only existed in the past. PROTIP: It's never coming back.

>>1136745
I second Anon's suggestion. Go on vacation in Europe for a month. Europe is a wonderful place and in many ways it is still more civilized than the rest of the world, but there are lots of things that are better in the US, Asia, Africa, South America, etc.

I think a little sophistication is in order.
>>
>>1136879
Yes, but you're going to have to fuck people who are equally fat, autistic and ungroomed.
>>
>>1137173
It's not "what should I pack," it's, "what shouldn't I pack?"

The shit you won't need is things like your computer, books, more than a couple pairs of underwear and socks, etc.
>>
>>1137788
Every time I take a book I never read it. I just bring my computer with an emulator and some good games.
>>
>>1141719
It's not going to happen unless you either already know someone or go straight to some drug gang's territory and ask around. They aren't much for customer service though.
>>
How do you use your phone in a foreign country (data)?

Roaming is off-the-scale expensive, and even data roaming add-ons are still extremely expensive

What do I do once I get to the airport? Just turn my phone off completely?
>>
>>1146126
You either buy a chip in the country that you arrive in or you get a carrier in your own country that gives you free roaming in other countries around the world (like mine does)

As an exmaple of two solutions
>>
>>1146126
>What do I do once I get to the airport? Just turn my phone off completely?
Incoming calls cost you money if you didn't get a plan or replace the SIM card, so yes.
You can use wifi and many apps from Viber to Magicjack. But, with a wifi need it doesn't really let you use the phone for emergencies or random phone calls at whim. But, you wouldn't mind paying if that were the reason then don't buy a SIM. If you can be sure you won't get incoming calls much and call everyone you know, you can pay for a text message plan where you get unlimited outgoing for a set fee.
>>
>>1146139
>>1146132
how do the SIMs work? monthly? would it be expensive just to buy 1GB of data for my entire travels or what
>>
>>1146140
Pre-paid SIMs with data plan is what you want.
Then use any VOIP app to talk.
>>
Anyone have any idea what the best way to get from Budapest to Sarajevo is? Going there in 2 weeks.

I had been under the impression that there was a train, but apparently that closed a few years ago. Buses either go through Belgrade or Zagreb, which is just more time than I want to spend getting there, and from what i've read you really can't rent a car in Hungary and then take it to Bosnia.

Anyone with experience in the area know of a good direct bus route? I'm also considering hitchhiking or getting a ride share, so advice on that would be appreciated as well.
>>
File: going gear vulture 2.jpg (398KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
going gear vulture 2.jpg
398KB, 1200x1200px
I'm looking for a backpack for work and school (last year of uni, finally). I'd need it to have space for a lunchbag, binders, and a couple other odds and ends. I also want to take this out on field courses and do some light hiking and camping with it.

Here's what a friend of mine has.
http://goinggear.com/maxpedition-vulture-ii-backpack-foliage-green-0514f.html?___SID=U
The original price was around $190, but he says he's willing to take a fraction of that. What would be fair price for a secondhand backpack?
>>
>>1146032
anyone?
>>
>>1143296
Go out in Newtown
>>
File: 20160721_160634.jpg (171KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
20160721_160634.jpg
171KB, 1000x562px
>>1144873
>>1145388
I got some chinkshit like this, haven't travelled since I got it, but that's why I got it Plan to use it in private only.
>>
How do i become a RealTraveller? what do i have to do while travelling and where should i go?
>>
File: 2016-03-14 DSC_0033.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-14 DSC_0033.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
I'm a 25 y.o. unemployed Irish male. I've burnt my bridges with all my family and relatives and haven't been employed in years. I'm starting to consider a fresh start in another country. But I have no idea how to preceed. I don't know what resources are available for me to investigate if it would be a wise choice. I don't know how to research what country would be appropriate. My default choice would be Australia just because it might be less of a culture shock than a country that doesn't speak English as a primary language. How does one go about investigating, researching, studying how to make the big move to another country? I have only a few hundred Euro. I have a low-moderate understanding of the real world.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.